E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > ▀▄ eas - e92 LED Angel Eye progress information



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #67
absix
Mu mu muh muli, maikouuu!
 
absix's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5; F25 2.0d;
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 1,282
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Since they keep shooting them in a garage, that makes me think this is similar to RD.
+1

They all look great in garages/shade
__________________
absix is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #68
kennethpetro
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 328i JB/Black Dakota
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 419
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by absix View Post
+1

They all look great in garages/shade
^ +1,000,000,000,000 lol

They all (RD, HID, GP Thunder & PIAA) fill the rings evenly at a perfect angle too
__________________
2011 Jet Black 328i, 6-Speed Manual, Black Dakota Leather, Brushed Aluminum, Harmon Kardon w/ Surround Sound, Navi, BMW Apps, iPod & USB Adapter, BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth, Full LED Interior, 6000k HID Fogs, Matte Black Kidney Grills, M3 Lip Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, 19" Beyern Black Mesh *19x8.5 front(ET40)* *19x9.5 rear(ET30)*

Last edited by kennethpetro; 04-15-2009 at 10:52 AM.
kennethpetro is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #69
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
 
Amir87's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,839
iTrader: (37)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Since they keep shooting them in a garage, that makes me think this is similar to RD.
+1

I remember when vendors of RD would hesitate to take pics in the direct sun.
__________________
Amir87 is offline   Pakistan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #70
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here .......

it seems to me that the biggest reason the inner ring IS brighter on most other bulbs (HID, halogen and LED) is because the inner ring light supplies light to the outter ring.

If these lights (EAS) are to be the same brightness then I'm thinking they are nearly invisible under direct sunlight as the inner ring in these pics isn't very bright. Pure white would make them even more difficult to see.
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #71
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here .......

it seems to me that the biggest reason the inner ring IS brighter on most other bulbs (HID, halogen and LED) is because the inner ring light supplies light to the outter ring.

If these lights (EAS) are to be the same brightness then I'm thinking they are nearly invisible under direct sunlight as the inner ring in these pics isn't very bright. Pure white would make them even more difficult to see.

Toad, I don't believe that is true. If you look at the setup, there are two rails in there that channel the light to the Angel eyes. The RD attempts to shine light directly along the rails and angle them exactly down the rail. If you want bright during the day, then you need more lumens.

The other problem I see is that LEDs by nature tend to be much more directional and the stock housing is built to use omni-directional light from incandescent bulbs. The only way I see to overcome this as well is with more lumens. It is about intensity.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #72
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Toad, I don't believe that is true. If you look at the setup, there are two rails in there that channel the light to the Angel eyes. The RD attempts to shine light directly along the rails and angle them exactly down the rail. If you want bright during the day, then you need more lumens.

The other problem I see is that LEDs by nature tend to be much more directional and the stock housing is built to use omni-directional light from incandescent bulbs. The only way I see to overcome this as well is with more lumens. It is about intensity.
Thanks
I knew I had to be missing something in how these worked. The intensity (more lumens) definitely makes a difference. Mine are @ 20,000K and make all the difference under direct sunlight.
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #73
DR_E92
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 E92 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 506
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Thanks
I knew I had to be missing something in how these worked. The intensity (more lumens) definitely makes a difference. Mine are @ 20,000K and make all the difference under direct sunlight.
__________________
and go nuts
DR_E92 is offline   Dominican Republic
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #74
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_E92 View Post
You know it ......
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #75
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
 
Drives: M5, GT-R BE, C250
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 587
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Toad, I don't believe that is true. If you look at the setup, there are two rails in there that channel the light to the Angel eyes. The RD attempts to shine light directly along the rails and angle them exactly down the rail. If you want bright during the day, then you need more lumens.

The other problem I see is that LEDs by nature tend to be much more directional and the stock housing is built to use omni-directional light from incandescent bulbs. The only way I see to overcome this as well is with more lumens. It is about intensity.
I haven't really looked at the rails/inside of the halos, but are they hollow?

if so, perhaps the best solution would be a fiber optic light that is powered by an LED and threaded through the rails/inside of the individual halos.

to me, it looks like the EAS ones do that b/c you can see at the top of the outermost halo, the light abruptly stops (I'm not sure if I'm correct, b/c I don't know if the oem bulbs do that as well on the e92).

*edit, nvm, I just saw on another thread that the e92's halos do have that abrupt stop*

Last edited by nlpamg; 04-16-2009 at 04:15 AM.
nlpamg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #76
boostin4fun
Banned
 
Drives: BMW 335i CP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 228
iTrader: (2)

damn you guys better hurry with these. We are all starting to see reasons to not buy them
boostin4fun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #77
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostin4fun View Post
damn you guys better hurry with these. We are all starting to see reasons to not buy them
......
My guess is they're only gauging interest to see how much of a price tag they can attach to these ....... I think alot of people, myself included, learned their lesson with the RD LED lights.

Points Of Interest:

1. Pictures of the angels ON under DIRECT sunlight.
2. Same as above from different angles (maybe even from a distance).
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #78
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
+1
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #79
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Thanks
I knew I had to be missing something in how these worked. The intensity (more lumens) definitely makes a difference. Mine are @ 20,000K and make all the difference under direct sunlight.
That is the temperature of the light, not the lumens. Big difference.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 04:28 AM   #80
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
I haven't really looked at the rails/inside of the halos, but are they hollow?

if so, perhaps the best solution would be a fiber optic light that is powered by an LED and threaded through the rails/inside of the individual halos.

to me, it looks like the EAS ones do that b/c you can see at the top of the outermost halo, the light abruptly stops (I'm not sure if I'm correct, b/c I don't know if the oem bulbs do that as well on the e92).

*edit, nvm, I just saw on another thread that the e92's halos do have that abrupt stop*
I cannot see if they are hollow, but I am almost positive they are not. It is basically a design flaw that allows the light to pass through the angel eyes without reflecting it to illuminate the Angel Eyes from what I can see.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #81
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
 
ToadHollow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Asti, Italy & Austin, Texas

Posts: 5,060
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
That is the temperature of the light, not the lumens. Big difference.
Wow.
I'll quit now while I'm behind ............
__________________



ToadHollow is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #82
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Wow.
I'll quit now while I'm behind ............
HIDs produce huge loutput though so that is why they are so bright even with a temperature of 20k. The temperature of the light just refers to how white or blue the light is. 6-8k is considered very white with a hint of blue. The whiter the light, the easier it will be to see.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #83
Prissy
Brigadier General
 
Prissy's Avatar
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nyc

Posts: 3,691
iTrader: (3)

need more pics~
Prissy is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #84
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

pics with headlights on
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #85
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
brandon @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So-Cal

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (10)

Outdoors from about 200ft away

Last edited by brandon @ eas; 04-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.
brandon @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #86
CubanJJ09
Banned
 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 12,692
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
lol

nice photo edit

this one is much better, i retract my "lol"

Last edited by CubanJJ09; 04-16-2009 at 02:05 PM.
CubanJJ09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #87
Joker330i
MURK3D
 
Joker330i's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A., CA

Posts: 1,044
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Joker330i
i think people are sick of the teasers, they want a price and product info, as you can see they're getting anxious to know and are starting to blow off the idea. might wanna release these a.s.a.p
__________________
DDM Tuning HID Fogs, RD Angel Eyes V2, RD License Plate Lights, White LED Blinkers, Gloss Black Grill/330i Badge/Window Trim/Lower Slats, M-Tech Spoiler, Black Roundels, Matte Black Shift Knob, Blacklines, Red Air Scoops, Muffler Delete w/ 3.5 inch tips, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 225/40/18 255/35/18
Joker330i is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #88
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,161
iTrader: (6)

That's a nice pic. Usually I see the inner ring being brighter.

This is an interesting time as far as aftermarket e92 halo lighting. The first party to develop a solid product is going to profit immensely from the demand out there.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST