E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328's N52 ECU Successfully Tuned by CS Tuning/LET Motorsports



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #67
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahsk30 View Post
if yall get at least 15 or 20 whp on the 330i, then i will buy.



dude 20whp is a lot from just a flash on a naturally aspirated engine... lets not get too over excited here.

I think its realistic to say 10-15whp and about the same torque wise.

Besides what other mod for around $500 bucks do you know of for a N52 adds even 1/2 of that kind of power?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #68
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
also just for reference... take a look at what the E46 reflashes got here. We should really expect just about the same.

http://www.electrodyne.cc/Merchant2/...=200.90.16.201
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #69
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
133
Rep
12,692
Posts

 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
time to start boring and polishing!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #70
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
might get a new pully
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #71
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
73
Rep
4,039
Posts

 
Drives: Red thing
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (9)

very nice gains ! TIme to run to active now that i know gains over 2hp are possible lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #72
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMS View Post
very nice gains ! TIme to run to active now that i know gains over 2hp are possible lol
please explain....
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #73
Andy@LTBMW
Andy@LTBMW's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 325i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (3)

will the tune be able to bypass the car's adapt to driving habits feature?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #74
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
not sure but I'll ask Tony. I do know they delete a bunch of stuff out of the ECU like top speed limiter and all that... maybe thats part of it.

On a side note, I've also noticed I'm driving the car harder but still getting a hair better avg gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #75
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
73
Rep
4,039
Posts

 
Drives: Red thing
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (9)

active has been looking for a car to tune for awhile just haven't had time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #76
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMS View Post
active has been looking for a car to tune for awhile just haven't had time.
ahhhhhh...

very cool, I'd love to see them do an S/C for this thing. Catch some 335's off guard
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #77
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
73
Rep
4,039
Posts

 
Drives: Red thing
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (9)

rather buy a 335 and single side exhaust it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #78
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMS View Post
rather buy a 335 and single side exhaust it
fair enough.... I'd still probably be coming out cheaper in the long run adding an S/C for $5000 than getting a 335.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #79
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
133
Rep
12,692
Posts

 
Drives: like an asshole
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
might get a new pully
yes yes excellent idea
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #80
schneid
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: e90 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
fair enough.... I'd still probably be coming out cheaper in the long run adding an S/C for $5000 than getting a 335.
you couldnt pay me to put a sc on my 330i...sounds like a nightmare/money pit waiting to happen. I'd take a stock 335 anyday. FI motors are engineered from the factory to be FI and n/a motors with a blower/snail never add up to a motor designed for boost
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #81
shahsk30
Banned
10
Rep
992
Posts

 
Drives: slow BMW
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: dfw, tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post



dude 20whp is a lot from just a flash on a naturally aspirated engine... lets not get too over excited here.

I think its realistic to say 10-15whp and about the same torque wise.

Besides what other mod for around $500 bucks do you know of for a N52 adds even 1/2 of that kind of power?
haha yea true.i just want my car faster!..just get as much power possible
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #82
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
well I agree but I'm just saying, i'd still be pretty cool.


having a 335 in the model line up now is probably WHY no company has done aftermarket FI on the e9x series... theres not much of a market for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #83
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahsk30 View Post
haha yea true.i just want my car faster!..just get as much power possible
who doesn't????
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #84
Andy@LTBMW
Andy@LTBMW's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg E90 325i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
not sure but I'll ask Tony. I do know they delete a bunch of stuff out of the ECU like top speed limiter and all that... maybe thats part of it.

On a side note, I've also noticed I'm driving the car harder but still getting a hair better avg gas mileage.
I think you might have gains temporarily, but over time as the engine "learns" how the driver's drive, i believe it adapts the engine to it ... I am just wondering if I drop 500 bucks on a tune, that it won't last temporarily and then I have to continuously reflash the CPU each time.

Please let me know how Tony has address this issue or if its even a issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #85
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
348
Rep
24,716
Posts

 
Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@LTBMW View Post
I think you might have gains temporarily, but over time as the engine "learns" how the driver's drive, i believe it adapts the engine to it ... I am just wondering if I drop 500 bucks on a tune, that it won't last temporarily and then I have to continuously reflash the CPU each time.

Please let me know how Tony has address this issue or if its even a issue at all.
will do
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #86
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
canucklion's Avatar
Canada
110
Rep
10,454
Posts

 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (9)

yeah folks, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I think the numbers you're getting, UdubBadger, are pretty decent for a NA engine. Unless the engine was poorly tuned from BMW, which I think is not the case here, single-digit gains at the wheel from a tune are pretty respectable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post



dude 20whp is a lot from just a flash on a naturally aspirated engine... lets not get too over excited here.

I think its realistic to say 10-15whp and about the same torque wise.

Besides what other mod for around $500 bucks do you know of for a N52 adds even 1/2 of that kind of power?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #87
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
canucklion's Avatar
Canada
110
Rep
10,454
Posts

 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (9)

+1. Realistically speaking, a tune is probably the best one could hope for for the N51/2 engines.

For the tuners, it doesn't make sense to FI a 325/28/30 which requires a hell of a lot more time and R&D effort than to develop a tune for N54. FI for 325/28/30 = $$$ to R&D, $$$ to sell = less potential customers. 335 tune = $ to R&D, $ to sell = more potential customer = more profit.

For the customers, personally speaking I would rather have a 335 with factory warranty than a SC on my 330i without a warranty.

Put it this way, BMW poured millions, if not billions, of dollar into developing the N54 engine and related components, yet they're faced wtih a faulty HPFP... Do you think a tuner can get it right the first time when they FI the N51/2 engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
you couldnt pay me to put a sc on my 330i...sounds like a nightmare/money pit waiting to happen. I'd take a stock 335 anyday. FI motors are engineered from the factory to be FI and n/a motors with a blower/snail never add up to a motor designed for boost
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #88
ejazbmw
blahhh
ejazbmw's Avatar
94
Rep
6,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
+1. Realistically speaking, a tune is probably the best one could hope for for the N51/2 engines.

For the tuners, it doesn't make sense to FI a 325/28/30 which requires a hell of a lot more time and R&D effort than to develop a tune for N54. FI for 325/28/30 = $$$ to R&D, $$$ to sell = less potential customers. 335 tune = $ to R&D, $ to sell = more potential customer = more profit.

For the customers, personally speaking I would rather have a 335 with factory warranty than a SC on my 330i without a warranty.

Put it this way, BMW poured millions, if not billions, of dollar into developing the N54 engine and related components, yet they're faced wtih a faulty HPFP... Do you think a tuner can get it right the first time when they FI the N51/2 engines?
+1

I probably won't buy this tune just because I personally don't think its worth 500+ bucks. I have to pay just a much as the 335 guys pay for a tune but only get 6hp while there getting 80+ hp lol. I'm perfectly happy with my catback exhaust and its not a issue when it comes to warranty.

But i do have respect for the OP for the time and money he spent tiring to help us NA guys out.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST