E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Bilstein HD w/sport or performance springs

10-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #1
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Bilstein HD w/sport or performance springs

Hi everyone! I will need to swap out the shocks in the spring, so I am doing my research ahead of time. Right now I think I am settled on the Bilstein HD (B6) shocks, but I am aware of the slight increase in ride height on the stock xi springs. Does anyone have experience combining with the i model sport or performance springs?

I understand the HD shocks are NOT meant to be paired with lowering springs, however, the sport and performance springs are technically OEM ride height. I am hoping to having a near stock ride height, with increased dampening from the new shocks. Hoping for some input, or more info about people's experience with the HD shocks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Harv
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

I just did this today! I stayed with the stock X springs (I have heard they are the stiffest of the bunch) I also changed to non run flat Conti DWS tires. I can't say I measured the before and after height of my e91 but any change in ride height is un-noticable. i live in Cleveland and do frequent skiing trips so the stock ride height is OK with me. I researched this over and over again. Anything other than the stock ride height springs in an X drive reduces the already small suspension travel, and results in frequent bottoming out. You can of course go with a shortened strut and coil overs but this car is my DD and I wasn't interested in coil overs and road salt.

The Billy B6 HD's and non run flats are a dream, and it's the way this car is intended to drive

I love my car again.

John
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Julian2485
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

I wonder if the hd will pair up ok with the Dinan springs which only give a .5 drop f&r for the xi
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I hate the stock suspension feel, so hopefully the HDs will increase feel and performance while keeping at least close to the same height. Sounds like what I'm looking for, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Julian2485
Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone done hds with Dinan springs ?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
BMWrush17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xDrive

Garage List
Curious about this myself
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Just don't use a spring that lowers the ride height. The HD models are not meant for lowering. They make a sport version for that
      10-30-2015, 04:45 AM   #8
Julian2485
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13
Just don't use a spring that lowers the ride height. The HD models are not meant for lowering. They make a sport version for that
I thought the hds would be ok with a .5 drop all around but I guess not
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

You have to be careful though. Even if the spring only drops 0.5" less than the stock spring, it could be way too stiff and not a good fit with the Bilstein HD. Your ride will be very bouncy if the spring rates are too high, and the shocks won't dampen the rebound and oscillations well.

I am actually looking for the same thing. I got the HD's on the car already but I am pretty sure the springs need to be replaced and don't want to go with stock springs either.

It would be nice if some people are running different springs with the HD's without problems.

BTW, our xDrive cars do NOT come with sport springs, or any performance springs from the factory. That's only for the i non-xi models. Our XI's may have a "sports package", but that has nothing to do with the suspension in our case. We get the sports seats and the paddle shifters with the sport package, and not much else.

Harry
      11-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1harry
You have to be careful though. Even if the spring only drops 0.5" less than the stock spring, it could be way too stiff and not a good fit with the Bilstein HD. Your ride will be very bouncy if the spring rates are too high, and the shocks won't dampen the rebound and oscillations well.

I am actually looking for the same thing. I got the HD's on the car already but I am pretty sure the springs need to be replaced and don't want to go with stock springs either.

It would be nice if some people are running different springs with the HD's without problems.

BTW, our xDrive cars do NOT come with sport springs, or any performance springs from the factory. That's only for the i non-xi models. Our XI's may have a "sports package", but that has nothing to do with the suspension in our case. We get the sports seats and the paddle shifters with the sport package, and not much else.

Harry
That's where my concern lies. I wonder if switching to the I springs on an xi car would be an issue with bilstein HDs. Hoping someone has run this combination or can explain why it would or wouldn't work. Lowering springs like Eibach or H&R clearly won't work as we've all acknowledged.
Appreciate 0