E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I almost died today thanks to my BMW

04-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
CaptainDang
Private First Class

Drives: Grady White Marlin 300

I almost died today thanks to my BMW

It all started this morning, went to start the car and it cranked and cranked and cranked for what felt like 10 seconds. The car started, but idled rough, then smoothed out after 20 seconds or so. I just chalked it up to one of those electrical gremlins and went on my merrry way. I was already late to work.

Well heading to work going up the Camarillo grade AKA the Conejo Grade. See pic below. Basically a 2 mile stretch straight up over a mountain.

Cruising along at 80mph, enjoying the torque when my car started shaking as I gave it gas, it got worse and worse as I'm climbing higher up the grade, when all of a sudden, BAM! Engine malfunction! Reduced power! Oh god, my car went from 80mph, to about 35mph, I had no power to climb the grade, I frantically switched over to the slow lanes and I saw cars flying by me, all these cars are braking and panicking to avoid hitting me, huge ass big rigs barreling towards me at 60+ MPH, it was a mess, cars flying around me at 70+mph, big rigs hitting their brakes to avoid killing me.

It was one of the most terrifying driving experience of my life, in 12 years of driving. I managed to limp up the grade basically on the shoulder @ 30mph, after the grade it was smooth sailing @ 60mph to Rusnak BMW. My SA assumed it was the HPFP, they put me in a Ford Focus rental. I said WTF is this shit? If I wanted to "upgrade" to a 328i base, it will cost me $12 a day. Whatever, I paid for the uprade and got an Alpine white 328i which reeks of cigarettes. I wanna puke everytime I get in it.

So anyways, that was my story this morning, still waiting for them to call me back to update me on the status of my car.

HPFP you suck!

Oh btw, my car is a 2007 SG 335i with 14,400 miles.
      04-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough

Drives: VF

These are exactly the types of failures that BMW needs to note. Lawsuits are just around the corner, especially considering the fact that they have done nothing to actually improve the pump.
      04-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335xi --> 06 BSM 330i

Send a message via AIM to wakeboarder109
damn, that really does suck. hopefully that class action lawsuit I saw someone filing the other day helps some day. at least you're alright.
wakeboarder109 is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Masterdale
Intergalactic Supreme Commander

Drives: 2009 328i TiAg 6MT Sport

There's just too many HPFP stories to inspire enough confidence - or warrant the risk on the 335 for me. Glad you're ok.
      04-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Wow, that f*cking sucks. The 335i disappoints again.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
NewSong is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
yomama69
Banned

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
These are exactly the types of failures that BMW needs to note. Lawsuits are just around the corner, especially considering the fact that they have done nothing to actually improve the pump.
Be patient.
yomama69 is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
TommyK
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to TommyK
wow that story glued me to the computer screen, im glade to hear your ok. i cant beilieve BMW hasnt done a recall or somthing.

does it make a weird whistling sound when it breaks? my freinds 335 was making a really bad sound coming from the engine.

this kinda makes me love my N52 engine a little more
TommyK is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
JeepJeep
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: everywhere

Thats terrible! But please drop the speed numbers, as I happen to know that any given day, 80 mph up (or even down) the grade is damn near impossible unless youre in the 2nd to right lane (the one next to the slow lane, where all the big rigs are). There's just too many people who sit in the fast lane doing 65-70, and the big rigs are easily doing under 40 mph.

Still though, thats absolutely terrifying.
JeepJeep is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
therealm3
Captain

Drives: F30 335 Msport, E70 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
wow that story glued me to the computer screen, im glade to hear your ok. i cant beilieve BMW hasnt done a recall or somthing.
Well technically there is a recall, with a new part number for the pump and a "revised" pump. Whether its any better, who knows?

OP - sorry to hear about that. you described my only fear with this car: Falling flat on its face when I really don't need it to. (I haul my two young kids around.)

FWIW - My original pump (10/06 build) ran great up until it was replaced a month ago under said recall campaign.
      04-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
bmw-hoya
Captain

Drives: Montego Blue 335i

H-o-l-y S-h-i-t.

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
bmw-hoya is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!

Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Aurora Bearialis Send a message via Yahoo to Aurora Bearialis Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora Bearialis
sucks. at least you're okay
      04-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
shaddai
former N54 owner

Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Well technically there is a recall, with a new part number for the pump and a "revised" pump. Whether its any better, who knows?

OP - sorry to hear about that. you described my only fear with this car: Falling flat on its face when I really don't need it to. (I haul my two young kids around.)

FWIW - My original pump (10/06 build) ran great up until it was replaced a month ago under said recall campaign.
The revised pump is not any better. My revised pump gave me long cranks after 1500 miles and was replaced after only 3000 miles of service. No catastrophic failure, but I did get a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light.
      04-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
Craig@SupremePower
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: '12 Dodge Durango R/T

DAMN that sux...glad your ok man!
      04-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough

Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post

The revised pump is already out and failing just as fast as the original one. My honest guess is the revised part number is a P/N for a refurbished old pump, equipped with new seals of the same material as the old ones.

And there are plenty of people with good pumps that are lasting damn near forever. But too many people are having issues with such a vital component, even the new version. I wouldn't expect it to fly with Daewoo, let alone BMW.
      04-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
wj4
Major General

Drives: E90 manual 335i

Send a message via AIM to wj4
To the OP, I'm really sorry to hear about that. You should try to email BMW of North America directly or a magazine like Roundel to publish it.

I haven't travel that route, but I bet it's like going up the 405 towards the Getty Center.
wj4 is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
1N54E92
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F30 328i, 07 N54 E92 (Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDang View Post
It all started this morning, went to start the car and it cranked and cranked and cranked for what felt like 10 seconds. The car started, but idled rough, then smoothed out after 20 seconds or so. I just chalked it up to one of those electrical gremlins and went on my merrry way. I was already late to work.

Well heading to work going up the Camarillo grade AKA the Conejo Grade. See pic below. Basically a 2 mile stretch straight up over a mountain.

Cruising along at 80mph, enjoying the torque when my car started shaking as I gave it gas, it got worse and worse as I'm climbing higher up the grade, when all of a sudden, BAM! Engine malfunction! Reduced power! Oh god, my car went from 80mph, to about 35mph, I had no power to climb the grade, I frantically switched over to the slow lanes and I saw cars flying by me, all these cars are braking and panicking to avoid hitting me, huge ass big rigs barreling towards me at 60+ MPH, it was a mess, cars flying around me at 70+mph, big rigs hitting their brakes to avoid killing me.

It was one of the most terrifying driving experience of my life, in 12 years of driving. I managed to limp up the grade basically on the shoulder @ 30mph, after the grade it was smooth sailing @ 60mph to Rusnak BMW. My SA assumed it was the HPFP, they put me in a Ford Focus rental. I said WTF is this shit? If I wanted to "upgrade" to a 328i base, it will cost me $12 a day. Whatever, I paid for the uprade and got an Alpine white 328i which reeks of cigarettes. I wanna puke everytime I get in it.

So anyways, that was my story this morning, still waiting for them to call me back to update me on the status of my car.

HPFP you suck!

Oh btw, my car is a 2007 SG 335i with 14,400 miles.
You really need to complain about the loaner. Make them clean the car and refund the $12 per day upgrade.
1N54E92 is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
StoneCold
Captain

Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

wow.....another 335. Glad you are ok Op.
      04-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #18
samchoi604
Colonel

Drives: black on black

really, is it really that hard for BMW to design a properly functioning fuel pump? Must it cost a human life before BMW responds to this issue seriously?
      04-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
CaptainDang
Private First Class

Drives: Grady White Marlin 300

Thanks for the concern guys.

Got my car back a few hours ago. Everything seems good to go. My iDrive and Navigation looks totally different, I'm guessing they updated the Nav software? They also went ahead and replaced the trim around my airbag since it started to peel a bit. Good service from Rusnak BMW.

Of course it was the HPFP afterall.

These parts were replaced.

RMFD PUMP # 13-51-7-592-881
ASA BOLT # 11-13-7-529-690

I'm guessing they gave me a remanufactured pump hence the "RMFD" designation? Anybody know if this is the new updated pump?
      04-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
yomama69
Banned

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
really, is it really that hard for BMW to design a properly functioning fuel pump? Must it cost a human life before BMW responds to this issue seriously?
Be patient.
yomama69 is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
wj4
Major General

Drives: E90 manual 335i

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:

Got my car back a few hours ago. Everything seems good to go. My iDrive and Navigation looks totally different, I'm guessing they updated the Nav software? They also went ahead and replaced the trim around my airbag since it started to peel a bit. Good service from Rusnak BMW.

I'm guessing they gave me a remanufactured pump hence the "RMFD" designation? Anybody know if this is the new updated pump?
I assume you never had the ProgMan updated since you got the car that's why the iDrive looks different now. You can search for stores by names with it now, albeit you still gotta enter the category and such.

Sadly, even the new fuel pumps are still failing so there's not a fully revised version that's completely fixed yet.
wj4 is offline   United_States
      04-17-2009, 11:08 PM   #22
shaddai
former N54 owner

Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Fcuk. That's bad. They're remanufacturing the updated pump now. That's just great. *sigh*