E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Your last car ... ?

07-29-2006, 05:28 AM   #23
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
Haven't got my e90 yet - I'll have to wait till the 1st Sept for that

Plan to keep the 330i for a couple of years - don't know what I'll do then.

The Montego was actually alright - I did 120mph in it quite regularly between Bristol and Nottingham (good old days before speed camera lunacy).

I got it when I first started working after university and it was a company car (albeit I had to have the dregs of the car pool and not order my own).

My first 'proper' company car was the Astra GSI and it was an absolute hoot.

Can't see myself buying anything other than BMW at the moment though - unless I can scrape up the cash for an AMG.
The 530d SE is a nice car, just feels a little slower than the 330iSE. I've tried it out a few times when my old BMW has been for servicing.

Did you prefer the 330iSE to that, needforspeed?

All the best.

Viv

PS- please sign up for UK2

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 06:24 AM   #24
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
The 530d SE is a nice car, just feels a little slower than the 330iSE. I've tried it out a few times when my old BMW has been for servicing.

Did you prefer the 330iSE to that, needforspeed?

All the best.

Viv

PS- please sign up for UK2
I've enjoyed the 530d - except for the automatic gearbox.

With the torque of the 3.0 diesel (even that of the older 218hp model I have) the choice of gear is almost irrelevant - so at 70 it will pull hard in 3rd, 4th, 5th AND 6th.

It will of course pull slighter better in 3rd where it will drag up to the redline just shy of 100mph.

For me the smoothness of the diesel coupled with the auto box makes the whole driving experience a little bit uninvolving.

That's why I'm changing to the 330i - it'll cost me about the same on finance since the 530d was secondhand when I bought it - but I'll have a high reving petrol engine with a 6 speed manual - and a lot more to do.

The 330i felt faster on a test drive and I think that will be the conclusion over time as well. I think the 330d would probably have been a more sensible choice for me - but this wasn't really about being sensible

Also the e60 isn't as well built as all my previous BMW's - the new models are better - but my impression is still that the e90 is a better sorted car. That's what I hope anyway but time will tell.

Still trying to work out the UK meet - might be able to do it - but will let you know
      07-29-2006, 06:39 AM   #25
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
I've enjoyed the 530d - except for the automatic gearbox.

With the torque of the 3.0 diesel (even that of the older 218hp model I have) the choice of gear is almost irrelevant - so at 70 it will pull hard in 3rd, 4th, 5th AND 6th.

It will of course pull slighter better in 3rd where it will drag up to the redline just shy of 100mph.

For me the smoothness of the diesel coupled with the auto box makes the whole driving experience a little bit uninvolving.

That's why I'm changing to the 330i - it'll cost me about the same on finance since the 530d was secondhand when I bought it - but I'll have a high reving petrol engine with a 6 speed manual - and a lot more to do.

The 330i felt faster on a test drive and I think that will be the conclusion over time as well. I think the 330d would probably have been a more sensible choice for me - but this wasn't really about being sensible

Also the e60 isn't as well built as all my previous BMW's - the new models are better - but my impression is still that the e90 is a better sorted car. That's what I hope anyway but time will tell.

Still trying to work out the UK meet - might be able to do it - but will let you know
Great.

You will certainly enjoy the 330i, especially over 4000 rpm!
Below that, you just don't get what you are paying for!

I've had mine for almost a year now & luckily, I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Make sure you get on with your dealer, because they are who help you continue enjoyment of your car.
I would (& do) rather have a good, reliable dealer, based 30 miles away, look after my car, than one who is only 1 mile away, but rubbish!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #26
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Great pics for wall paper .. thanks Viv

& nice to hear another 330i M Sport is on order for Sept .. there's a fair few of us now

Great to hear how much you guys love the brand and for my own persepective, the 330i engine, which i am looking forward to.

Couldn't resist poping to the Dealer today to have another sit in the showroom M Sport Gotta make the waiting go by somehow !
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #27
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
Great pics for wall paper .. thanks Viv

& nice to hear another 330i M Sport is on order for Sept .. there's a fair few of us now

Great to hear how much you guys love the brand and for my own persepective, the 330i engine, which i am looking forward to.

Couldn't resist poping to the Dealer today to have another sit in the showroom M Sport Gotta make the waiting go by somehow !
It's not just me then - I called in for a brochure on Friday
      07-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #28
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

ha ha ha ... nope I am terrible at waiting !

Until I get my hands on the car, it will cross my mind several times a day .. can't help it .. cars are a big thing to me .. love driving them, cleaning them, looking at them, reading about them, watching motorsport, visiting motor shows, race days, meets .. you name it .. cars:I love em

So when its a new one for me, it certainly is the MAIN EVENT

They also had a 320 si in the show room today which I had a good look round.

I must say its a superb package and if i was in the market for a £25k 3 series, I would be very happy with one of those. I would especially like to hear the engine note with it having a tuned exhaust and quoted "metallic" engine note ... all sounds good.

But I wanted the 3.0 litre power plant in M Sport guise and can't wait
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #29
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ha ha ha ... nope I am terrible at waiting !

Until I get my hands on the car, it will cross my mind several times a day .. can't help it .. cars are a big thing to me .. love driving them, cleaning them, looking at them, reading about them, watching motorsport, visiting motor shows, race days, meets .. you name it .. cars:I love em

So when its a new one for me, it certainly is the MAIN EVENT

They also had a 320 si in the show room today which I had a good look round.

I must say its a superb package and if i was in the market for a £25k 3 series, I would be very happy with one of those. I would especially like to hear the engine note with it having a tuned exhaust and quoted "metallic" engine note ... all sounds good.

But I wanted the 3.0 litre power plant in M Sport guise and can't wait
The waiting is indeed a pain.
I was in the very same situation as yourself, a year ago.

The day you pick up your baby, you know it has been worth it!

I had my car imported & after almost a 12-week wait, the worst part was the last hour, waiting for the final clean, the reg plate to be put in place & tax disc to be stuck on!
Then I could finally see it & drive from London to the Norfolk Broads, where I had to leave it for a week, whilst on a boating holiday!

The UK members on this forum are all very passionate about their cars, as you can probably tell from the posts!
If you come to UK2, you will see that, face-to-face!

I expect yourself & needforspeed will be just as passionate too!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 05:29 PM   #30
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
1990 325is and I still have it. It needs a new battery though... Due to neglect.
Attached Images

07-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #31
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
I remember the feeling well. I used to drive home past the dealer everynight as that's when they were normally unloading the new cars... it was only about a 3 mile detour . Even so I think I managed to miss it by about 5mins!

My car history is pretty boring compared to the great long lists you guys can reel off...

95 Ford Fiesta 1.25Si - topped out at 105mph indicated. Even outran an E36 M3 going up a twisty local hill one wet and horrible night. He p155ed past me like I was going backwards on the straight at the top though!

99 Ford Focus 2.0 Ghia - nice car, but no character. http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90garageimg/417/001.jpg

03 E46 320dSE http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90garageimg/416/004.jpg

I still love the E46, but I'm starting to think about what happens when it's all paid off next year. It's a difficult decision... E90 or E91.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #32
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner
95 Ford Fiesta 1.25Si - topped out at 105mph indicated. Even outran an E36 M3 going up a twisty local hill one wet and horrible night. He p155ed past me like I was going backwards on the straight at the top though! ...
I still love the E46, but I'm starting to think about what happens when it's all paid off next year. It's a difficult decision... E90 or E91.
Not considering the e92, Matt?

BTW- great new avatar.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #33
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
The E92 looks great, but access on those occassions that I take the folks out would be a problem for my Mum. I need to have four doors, so no E92.

Larger version or the avatar... and another few that I took last week.
Attached Images

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #34
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Love the bird pics Oilburner, but who is the bird in the third picture?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #35
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
Love the bird pics Oilburner, but who is the bird in the third picture?
Do you mean the Harris Hawk, or the ten year old?

During the demo's they let some of the audience fly the hawk. They were also good enough to fly the Harris Hawk and the Eagle Owl directly over the heads of those with cameras, hence the owl shot (messed up the Harris Hawk as I had the wrong focus mode set )

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #36
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

During the demo's they let some of the audience fly the hawk. They were also good enough to fly the Harris Hawk and the Eagle Owl directly over the heads of those with cameras, hence the owl shot (messed up the Harris Hawk as I had the wrong focus mode set )
Fantastic shots Matt.
Do you fancy taking some moving shots, somehow, at UK2?

Looking at the quality of the flying owl shots, moving car pics could look unbelievable!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #37
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The Harris Hawk of course!! My god is it really a ten year old...Harris Hawk?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #38
mjh93sa
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Fantastic shots Matt.
Do you fancy taking some moving shots, somehow, at UK2?

Looking at the quality of the flying owl shots, moving car pics could look unbelievable!

All the best.

Viv
I'll give it a go! I'll just need to remember to bring both CF cards so that hopefully a few pics come out... I took about 80 at the falconry centre and most of them are no good .

Quote:
I think he was only three or four.

Apparently the one at the National Bird of Prey Centre has come home with 2 magpies and a crow in the last three weeks!

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #39
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Quote:

07-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #40
MattOz
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i M Sport - LCI 6MT

Garage List
My last cars, starting with the last one and working back..................

Current car

There are one or two others that I've missed, but that's it essentially. From 1999 to present.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 08:40 AM   #41
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'll give it a go! I'll just need to remember to bring both CF cards so that hopefully a few pics come out... I took about 80 at the falconry centre and most of them are no good .
I think it will be worth it, even if just one or two shots come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz
Matt, from your post when you first picked up your car, it looks like you've done great work with 'restoration'.

Has your wife called you mad for cleaning anything after the suspension components?!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 09:01 AM   #42
DWUK
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW 330d Sport Auto

Cars

Interesting reading, do you guys think once a BMW driver always a BMW driver?
Must admit very very nearly bought an Azure Blue 350z, was one of the initial 500 or so first batch customers, got a nice book for my troubles, unfortunately the insurance quote living in central London killed that dream, so opted for my first Beemer.

In reverse order.........
1.0 Vauxhall Nova - hey a brilliant little car, if I could have kept it I would
1.4 Vauxhall Corsa - the SRi model
1.4 Vauxhall Corsa - another SRi - lets just say the Vauxhall dealer stuffed up the order and missed out the power steering, so got a brand new one 6mths down the road (the Valencia factory shut for summer)
1.6 Tigra - I know the Puma was better!
Peugeot 206 GTi - First French car, so bad I bought......
Peugeot 307 HDi - Thought I'd try my hand at diesel, and gawd this one was bad.
Was a Nissan 350z - but badge snobbery and insurance took hold so......
BMW 320CD Sport Coupe - a brilliant car
BMW 330d M Sport - an even BETTER car

Next - who knows, I was tempted with waiting for the coupe, but the wife to be wanted four doors and "other" bits.............so I'm guessing keeping the 3 till the year dot and maybe, just maybe getting a fun car later on a Z4?

Or wait for the 4 door M3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #43
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz

Current car

Matt

Wow ... lovely 330d Matt

Seeing the car in Blue makes me wonder if i chose the right colour as it was between that and Graphite.

The Blue was particularly attractive because a) it looks stunning and b) its exclusive to the M Sport model.

I am just changing from a Blue car and saw a Graphite M Sport in the Showroom and was taken by it.

I bet if i'd of seen a blue one gleaming in the showroom, I may have opted for that colour.

Either is great .. but yours really does look superb all shiny and clean .. love it

ps: how did you find the transition from M3 to M sport "D" ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #44
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWUK
Interesting reading, do you guys think once a BMW driver always a BMW driver?
Must admit very very nearly bought an Azure Blue 350z, was one of the initial 500 or so first batch customers, got a nice book for my troubles, unfortunately the insurance quote living in central London killed that dream, so opted for my first Beemer.

:

ha ha ha ... I am trading in an Azure 350z for my new 330i M Sport and can advise you that you should feel yourself lucky you did not go down the Nissan road.

The car is great ... when its working !

"THEN" you have to fall back on the dealers and the group in my area (and many others round the country) are appalling .. couldn't even fix a squeaky seat.

In terms of moving from a Zed to a 330i M Sport it feels like a Quantum leap forward in every area .. but mainly quality.

I can't wait for my new "BM" and you should not beat yourself up about not having experienced the Zed, the initial buzz would have soon fizzled out once the problems started I promise you.
Appreciate 0