Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need Packaging Help

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

04-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
rmorin49
Major

Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Need Packaging Help

I have a buyer for my Style 230 wheels with the OEM RFTs. I want to have them professionally packaged for shipping either by UPS or FedEx. Can anyone share their experience on the best way to do this? All of the places I have called say their biggest box is 24 x 24 x 24 so they won't fit. One place said they would pad the wheels and cover them with a circle of cardboard. What do you folks think? I am in Hagerstown, MD, yeah out in the boonies and don't want to have to drive to DC or Baltimore just to have them packaged. Thanks for any advice.

Colonel (Retired), US Army/Hagerstown, MD
ED-01-10 2010 Z4s30i AW/Beige/Burl/ 6MT/SP/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB/CA
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg
1988 635CSi black/tan/5MT/Dinan chip/B&B exhaust/RD sway bars/Bavauto stress bar
rmorin49 is offline   United_States
      04-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
If you were local to us, we would be able to ship them for you without a problem Since your having a problem finding a box, you'll most likely have to find some junk boxes and cut them up for the best results. 28x28x10 box works good for our wheel/tire packages 18"+.

Here's a diagram from Tirerack.com on how to package wheels. This is exactly how we package ours.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow-Form | LIVE INVENTORY: V705 V703 V710 | V710 PICTURE THREAD
p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels f. flickr.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels
      04-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
ALUFELGEN

Drives: E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to ALUFELGEN Send a message via MSN to ALUFELGEN
You might have an issue sourcing foam sheets, cardboard sheets or custom sized boxes.

You should go to a UPS Store or similar and have the wheels bubble wrapped. They add enough bubble wrapping so that the wheel fits perfectly on one of their 24x24x24 boxes. If anything they should have a box cutter that would allow them to cut the box down to about 12". With bubble wrapping the wheel will have enough protection for the trip.

If that doesn't work try Uline.com for supplies. The most important part is protecting the wheel edge that is in contact with the boxes at 12, 3, 6 and 9'o'clock.
ALUFELGEN is offline   United_States
      04-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
rmorin49
Major

Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I want to ship them with the tires already mounted. They are complete as new with the TPMS installed. I don't want to have to dismount the tires. I have been advised to protect the wheels with foam, cover the foam with cardboard cutouts to protect the wheels and leave the tires exposed.

Colonel (Retired), US Army/Hagerstown, MD
ED-01-10 2010 Z4s30i AW/Beige/Burl/ 6MT/SP/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB/CA
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg
1988 635CSi black/tan/5MT/Dinan chip/B&B exhaust/RD sway bars/Bavauto stress bar
rmorin49 is offline   United_States
      04-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
chinoxs203
Major

Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

this is how i shipped a set.. no problems reported... double up the cardboard on the face side.. you will need to purchase a lot of cardboard

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
chinoxs203 is offline   United_States
      04-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
325/528
Second Lieutenant

Drives: pinto

I got giant boxes from the shop that mounted my tires on my new rims. They had big boxes for huge SUV rims that fit perfectly for my wheels and tires to be shipped in. You might check with your local tire and wheel shop.
      05-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
ALUFELGEN

Drives: E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to ALUFELGEN Send a message via MSN to ALUFELGEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
I want to ship them with the tires already mounted. They are complete as new with the TPMS installed. I don't want to have to dismount the tires. I have been advised to protect the wheels with foam, cover the foam with cardboard cutouts to protect the wheels and leave the tires exposed.
That's a lot easier

Just make sure you put a foam sheet and a cardboard sheet on the face of the wheel and just plastic wrap it.
ALUFELGEN is offline   United_States