E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to top off transmission fluid?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

How to top off transmission fluid?

I know the fill plug and drain plug is under the car. But is there a tank or something under the hood where I can top off the tranny fluid, or is the only going under the car and opening the fill hole?

Reason why I ask is cause is just a long process to go under the car and messy.



Thanks in advance.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
obert's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,597
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (18)

I think under the car is the only way, just fill through the fill hole until it starts to drain out.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,337
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta (Vinings)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
I know the fill plug and drain plug is under the car. But is there a tank or something under the hood where I can top off the tranny fluid, or is the only going under the car and opening the fill hole?

Reason why I ask is cause is just a long process to go under the car and messy.



Thanks in advance.
There is no way to top off. Best ti leave alone unless it's leaking because you have to get underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Ok thanks, just a maintenance I use to do on my old Japanese cars and figure to do it for my 335i. But after some reading, there's actually no need for this.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
biz77
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spokane, WA

iTrader: (2)

The only way to do this is from under the car. If you open the fill hole without the engine running, expect a quart or more of transmission fluid to come gushing out.
The only correct way to do this is to have the car running, the transmission fluid around 100degrees F and make sure the car is level. You can then open the fill hole and use a transfer pump to pump fluid into the transmission until it starts seeping back out of the fill hole.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
I know the fill plug and drain plug is under the car. But is there a tank or something under the hood where I can top off the tranny fluid, or is the only going under the car and opening the fill hole?

Reason why I ask is cause is just a long process to go under the car and messy.



Thanks in advance.
Dude, if you know the fill hole and drain hole are under the car (on the transmission) why in God's name would you think there would be a tank somewhere under the hood in the engine compartment? If the fill hole is on the transmission (almost one of the lowest components in the car), how could you fill the transmission tank (if there was one) from a fill hole that would be lower than the tank (if there was one) under the hood? Google "Sir Isaac Newton"...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude, if you know the fill hole and drain hole are under the car (on the transmission) why in God's name would you think there would be a tank somewhere under the hood in the engine compartment? If the fill hole is on the transmission (almost one of the lowest components in the car), how could you fill the transmission tank (if there was one) from a fill hole that would be lower than the tank (if there was one) under the hood? Google "Sir Isaac Newton"...
I came here asking for some answers. Sorry if I sounded dumb, didn't know this forum had trolls.
__________________

Last edited by brandonroy; 07-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
obert's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,597
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
I came here asking for a some answer. Sorry if I sounded dumb, didn't know this forum had trolls.
Kind of sucks but with such a big forum that has members from all over the world people will trash talk anyone just to trash talk

I am part of a small site for another car forum and its great, everyone is very helpful and it runs great. Of course there are a few bad apples but that with any forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Kind of sucks but with such a big forum that has members from all over the world people will trash talk anyone just to trash talk

I am part of a small site for another car forum and its great, everyone is very helpful and it runs great. Of course there are a few bad apples but that with any forum.
Agree, but is funny reading comments from these tools. Clearly shows they have no reality life and vent their frustration online.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
Agree, but is funny reading comments from these tools. Clearly shows they have no reality life and vent their frustration online.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I have helped way more people on this forum than probably almost any other member. I have the most experience mileage-wise with the E90 and was doing repairs to the E90 before the Bentley manual came out and posted my experience here hundreds of times.

My comment to you was to make you think and apply logic to your problems. If you want to work on your car, then learn some basic mechanics understanding and a few laws of Physics such as Gravity (all mechanics are based on the principles of physics). The point being you can't fill a cavity from the lowest point of it using a gravity fed process.

If you want to go through life depending on other people to answer your questions for you before you have thoroughly thought them through then you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

Had you taken the time to read the owner's manual section on what is under the hood, you would have found that there is no "tank" that holds transmission fluid. Additionally, you never mentioned whether the car has a manual or automatic transmission, which might have helped other forum members better answer your question.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
obert
Lieutenant Colonel
obert's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,597
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 N54 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I have helped way more people on this forum than probably almost any other member. I have the most experience mileage-wise with the E90 and was doing repairs to the E90 before the Bentley manual came out and posted my experience here hundreds of times.

My comment to you was to make you think and apply logic to your problems. If you want to work on your car, then learn some basic mechanics understanding and a few laws of Physics such as Gravity (all mechanics are based on the principles of physics). The point being you can't fill a cavity from the lowest point of it using a gravity fed process.

If you want to go through life depending on other people to answer your questions for you before you have thoroughly thought them through then you'll have a tough road ahead of you.

Had you taken the time to read the owner's manual section on what is under the hood, you would have found that there is no "tank" that holds transmission fluid. Additionally, you never mentioned whether the car has a manual or automatic transmission, which might have helped other forum members better answer your question.
Just for you to reply in such detail is a lol moment

It's not that big of a deal he asked the question in the first place

But I am sure you will have to have the last word so I look forward to your next post !
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Well we have fill caps for many other fluids under the hood wheres the components are under it, on my old Subaru there was a fill hole under the hole for the tranny fluid. But I guess.......
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Just for you to reply in such detail is a lol moment

It's not that big of a deal he asked the question in the first place

But I am sure you will have to have the last word so I look forward to your next post !
Yeah, you will. His question was totally stupid. He knows nothing about cars; nothing. Call me a troll all you want. He shouldn't be allowed under the hood; and he is the typical demographic BMW is now aiming for: "Oh, my car is low on oil, I should take it to the dealer so they can get the light to go off; I hate lights...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonroy View Post
Well we have fill caps for many other fluids under the hood wheres the components are under it, on my old Subaru there was a fill hole under the hole for the tranny fluid. But I guess.......
Let's be specific "Fill caps" for:

1) Engine oil
2) Coolant
3) Washer fluid
4) Power steering fluid (maybe you should get an F30; they eliminated this one)
and....
5) "oooh, where's the brake fluid go?" (next to the blinker fluid I think!)

OMG!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
FCobra94
Major
FCobra94's Avatar
16
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

lol agreed. If there's no ATF dipstick tube, where exactly would you hope to fill the trans up aside from the actual FILL HOLE!?!

You wanna talk about trolls, let's start with the existance of this thread to begin with. A simple search first would have yielded multiple DIY articles on this site with pics and directions; which is why this is a pointless thread to begin with.
__________________
'07 E90 335i - Automagic - Non-sport
Cobb AP|Alpina Flash|VRSF 7" FMIC|VRSF CP|TIAL BOV|cp-e DCI|Bilstein B6|E93 M3 FSB|SP Lowering Perches
Summer: Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10mm rear spacers
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #16
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Yeah, you will. His question was totally stupid. He knows nothing about cars; nothing. Call me a troll all you want. He shouldn't be allowed under the hood; and he is the typical demographic BMW is now aiming for: "Oh, my car is low on oil, I should take it to the dealer so they can get the light to go off; I hate lights...
And your point is? Ummm... I still own the car... and I can still post these questions...

Why do you have to be
While I'm just
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #17
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
lol agreed. If there's no ATF dipstick tube, where exactly would you hope to fill the trans up aside from the actual FILL HOLE!?!

You wanna talk about trolls, let's start with the existance of this thread to begin with. A simple search first would have yielded multiple DIY articles on this site with pics and directions; which is why this is a pointless thread to begin with.
Cool story bro.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,721
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Brandondroy, seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick here, so don't take it that way; but if you are serious about performing the maintenance and service on your car you need to better educate yourself. It's great that you are taking interest in the health of your 335i, but from your question it is apparent that your knowledge of cars is not at a level that it needs to be to actually perform the maintenance tasks required.

I sincerely suggest that you buy the Bentley service manual for the E9X. It has excellent sections on explaining how the various systems of the car operate, and is written at a technical level that a novice can understand. It is the best resource that you can get to better understand your particular car and cars in general.

Good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #19
brandonroy
Second Lieutenant
brandonroy's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Brandondroy, seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick here, so don't take it that way; but if you are serious about performing the maintenance and service on your car you need to better educate yourself. It's great that you are taking interest in the health of your 335i, but from your question it is apparent that your knowledge of cars is not at a level that it needs to be to actually perform the maintenance tasks required.

I sincerely suggest that you buy the Bentley service manual for the E9X. It has excellent sections on explaining how the various systems of the car operate, and is written at a technical level that a novice can understand. It is the best resource that you can get to better understand your particular car and cars in general.

Good luck to you.
Thank you for the advice, we all need to live in a harmonious peaceful way and enjoy life.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Chriztofor
Colonel
Chriztofor's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,720
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
The only way to do this is from under the car. If you open the fill hole without the engine running, expect a quart or more of transmission fluid to come gushing out.
The only correct way to do this is to have the car running, the transmission fluid around 100degrees F and make sure the car is level. You can then open the fill hole and use a transfer pump to pump fluid into the transmission until it starts seeping back out of the fill hole.
+1 Check fill level from fill hole with trans warm and car is running.

As for everyone else,
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,789
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Can't believe I'm writing this but I feel comfortable recommending the advice of Efthreeoh. He(she)'s put major miles on his car, knows DIY and has written some great stuff on this forum, under this name and another. Very helpful person.
__________________
AA Stage 2 - M3 control Arms FR - BMW PS2 - Dinan springs - APEX EC-7 - H&R front swaybar - GC street camber plates - Whiteline subframe inserts
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST