E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Favourite bit of your E90



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-31-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Question Favourite bit of your E90

As new threads are a bit thin on the ground, I thought I would get one going (well I've got to do something E-related until my pup arrives in Sept)

So what better than to find out what you guys enjoy most about your new 3 series.

Is it the shape, the drive, the quality, the handling, the prestige, the comfort, the reliability, the speed, the mpg ... what is it that drew you to the new E90 and what do you like / enjoy most about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
344

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Hey, don't mock the mpg. Diesel drivers will get a little touchy on the subject!

48 mpg....

The best bit of mine is the pull from 50 to 80. Really helps on most of the UK roads. The reliability is very good - no problems so far.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
Hey, don't mock the mpg. Diesel drivers will get a little touchy on the subject!

48 mpg....

The best bit of mine is the pull from 50 to 80. Really helps on most of the UK roads. The reliability is very good - no problems so far.



mpg

Actually ... I looked in the E90 brochure and was staggered by the 50 mph to 70 mph figures i think they were.

The 320 d is very close to the 330i petrol and comparible to the 325i petrol .. fantastic torque !

But the whopping 330d was was way faster than the petrol variant 330i.

Its just the Zero to 60 where the petrol wins ... just !

So, I have huge respect for the diesel engines ... they have a lot going for them ... I just don't do the miles to warrant needing one and love the sound of the straight six petrol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
344

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Plus they are cheaper!! Having been swayed by the MPG argument, I plumped for the diesel (its quicker than the 320 petrol) but in hindsight, it does take a lot of miles to recoop the initial extra cost of the diesel. I don't have a caravan!! so would I contemplate a petrol next time.........maybe??????!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
Plus they are cheaper!! Having been swayed by the MPG argument, I plumped for the diesel (its quicker than the 320 petrol) but in hindsight, it does take a lot of miles to recoop the initial extra cost of the diesel. I don't have a caravan!! so would I contemplate a petrol next time.........maybe??????!!


Yeah I only do about 10,000 miles per year so Diesel would show no benefit to me .. & that's why I can justify the slightly thirstier animal: 330i
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
mjh93sa
Major General
England
100

 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire


Posts: 5,079
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
At the time I went for the diesel it was a no-brainer... more performance, cheaper insurance, five years servicing (from BMW) and this sort of fuel economy .... It does drop a bit if you're trying to keep up with a 330i though .



__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
214

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
mpg

Actually ... I looked in the E90 brochure and was staggered by the 50 mph to 70 mph figures i think they were.

The 320 d is very close to the 330i petrol and comparible to the 325i petrol .. fantastic torque !

But the whopping 330d was was way faster than the petrol variant 330i.

Its just the Zero to 60 where the petrol wins ... just !

So, I have huge respect for the diesel engines ... they have a lot going for them ... I just don't do the miles to warrant needing one and love the sound of the straight six petrol
What's interesting about the e60 brochure is that it has 50-75mph times in 3 gears - BMW.co.uk only has them in 4th:

50-75mpg in 4th / 5th / 6th gear:

330d - 5.0 / 6.4 / 8.3

530d - 5.1 / ? / ?

120d - 6.6 / ? / ?

320d - 6.7 / 8.5 / 11.3

330i - 6.6 / 8.2 / 10.6

530i - 6.6 / ? / ?

So the 330d, 530d, 120d are as fast or faster than a 330 from 50-75 in 4th.

That's the key point with the diesels - they pull in ALL gears - because the torque curve is effectively flat - so if you have a more relaxed driving style - they WILL be faster than petrol engines.

The 530d is reasonably highly geared - I redlined mine in 3rd at 95 mph yesterday.

Even so - the petrol engine should be able to hang onto a gear longer and do 50-75mph in 3rd faster than the diesel in 4th (or 3rd).

The 330i is technically faster than the 330d all the way through the range. The problem is the power is much more available in the 330d - so on the road - the diesel will rule.

This is why (sometimes) I wonder if I should have got a 330d - but then the downside of all that torque is that the drive is less involving.

I actually want to downshift for more power - but in the 530d it's hardly worth the bother.

In any event - for either car - you won't spend much time at it's limit in the UK. I keep running out of road in the 530d - cause when I push the accelerator everything gets close really quick - the 330i will be like this - but better.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner
At the time I went for the diesel it was a no-brainer... more performance, cheaper insurance, five years servicing (from BMW) and this sort of fuel economy .... It does drop a bit if you're trying to keep up with a 330i though .






That's just obsene !

Fuel economy should not go onto the 60 mpg's

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
vivekk
THE Viv
England
114

 
vivekk's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i SE
Join Date: May 2005
Location: the North, UK


Posts: 4,740
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
As new threads are a bit thin on the ground, I thought I would get one going (well I've got to do something E-related until my pup arrives in Sept)

So what better than to find out what you guys enjoy most about your new 3 series.

Is it the shape, the drive, the quality, the handling, the prestige, the comfort, the reliability, the speed, the mpg ... what is it that drew you to the new E90 and what do you like / enjoy most about it.
I was initially drawn to the new body shape- I think it was some of the pics in the Official e90 TiAg thread that got me hooked!:



Some of the shots were by UK members, including a3ndy & Paul (beauforty):



I think Paul picked up his car last summer & it's pretty much the same spec as mine, so seeing what mine was going to look like was just great- thanks for sticking your shots up, Paul!

The best thing I like about my car is the handling- everything else, like the Idrive, SatNavPro, Active Steering, Logic7, CD multichanger, bluetooth, xenons, sports seats etc etc etc, are just 'toys'.

When I first got the car, I'd drove it along the roads I knew well- mainly country back roads with dips & tight turns.
After driving the 318is, it was like driving a different type of vehicle! Driving at 'normal' speeds, I don't need to use the brakes as much, where I normally would have had to, to get through a tight downhill bend.
The car just grips without any problem- the sports suspension certainly is worth it.

Going around big roundabouts & corners is just fantastic!
The wife hates me doing it, even though there's little body roll, but doing 50 around town centre roundabouts (with nobody else around) makes me giggle & makes her angry!
It's funny though, how she asks me why I'm going so slowly, after we come off a motorway. I'm doing about 40mph & she thinks I'm meandering around 20mph! When I tell her & ask her if she thinks I should speed up, she tells me to 'shut it'!

That doesn't mean I'd not want to have those toys- the xenons, for example, I will never buy another car without them- they're bl**dy bright, safe & get cars out of your way!

The door handle LEDs are great- pressing the lock button when you're in the house & someone is walking past the car at night just scares the sh*t out of them!

The sound of the straight-6 cylinder engine is also fantastic.
I can't fault the torque of the 330d & its mid-range acceleration, but it's the post 4000rpm engine sound that I just love about the 330i.
After all, BMWs are built to rev high & you certainly get that with the 330i.

I love the 162 wheels as well.
But, you really need to see them on another e90- that was the great thing about the last meet- watching a whole load of cars just like your own, moving together like an army!
When you see them move together, you fall in love with them even more!


I could carry on talking about what I like about the car for a good while longer, but now I've got to get in touch with BMWUK about the meet, so I'll save more stuff for later!

All the best.

Viv
__________________
[TiAg ▪ Dakota Black ▪ Active steering ▪ Sports suspension ▪ 162s ▪ Sports seats ▪ Al trim ▪ Bi-Xenons ▪ F&R PDC NavPro ▪ Voice control ▪ Bluetooth ▪ 6CD Logic7]


Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
What's interesting about the e60 brochure is that it has 50-75mph times in 3 gears - BMW.co.uk only has them in 4th:

50-75mpg in 4th / 5th / 6th gear:

330d - 5.0 / 6.4 / 8.3

530d - 5.1 / ? / ?

120d - 6.6 / ? / ?

320d - 6.7 / 8.5 / 11.3

330i - 6.6 / 8.2 / 10.6

530i - 6.6 / ? / ?

So the 330d, 530d, 120d are as fast or faster than a 330 from 50-75 in 4th.

That's the key point with the diesels - they pull in ALL gears - because the torque curve is effectively flat - so if you have a more relaxed driving style - they WILL be faster than petrol engines.

The 530d is reasonably highly geared - I redlined mine in 3rd at 95 mph yesterday.

Even so - the petrol engine should be able to hang onto a gear longer and do 50-75mph in 3rd faster than the diesel in 4th (or 3rd).

The 330i is technically faster than the 330d all the way through the range. The problem is the power is much more available in the 330d - so on the road - the diesel will rule.

This is why (sometimes) I wonder if I should have got a 330d - but then the downside of all that torque is that the drive is less involving.

I actually want to downshift for more power - but in the 530d it's hardly worth the bother.

In any event - for either car - you won't spend much time at it's limit in the UK. I keep running out of road in the 530d - cause when I push the accelerator everything gets close really quick - the 330i will be like this - but better.



Think I better always remember to change down to "3rd" then when wanting to make some rapid progress

Crikey, the 120d is a bit of a worry too ... hmm, i think we need to "tone down" this power on these diesel cars
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 01:24 AM   #11
forge197
New Member
2

 
Drives: On Order
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

I like the Logic7 in my car it's not mad deep bass but it's a really mature all round great sound and sounds good at high volume.

This is my first post in the UK section so I shall pop back now I have found it !!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #12
- Paul -
Major General
England
344

 
- Paul -'s Avatar
 
Drives: see above.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire, UK


Posts: 7,273
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [5.00]
2005 645  [4.50]
Welcome to the UK section!!! - There isn't many of us but we're all helpful.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #13
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
Welcome to the UK section!!! - There isn't many of us but we're all helpful.



Yeah, I stumbled onto both the main site but especially the UK section after extensive web searches .. could do with it being easier to locate as like you say the number of UK members seams a bit thin on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #14
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
8

 
JonMad's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Whilst avoiding mentioning diesel engines - what do I like best... the solidity.

The handling is also great and I bought (ok, am leasing) this car over others as it's RWD with good handling. But the solidity surprised and impressed me the most - of the controls, the doors, the boot, the steering wheel, the stalks - all the mechanisms you use.

The effects of the high gearing (refinement, torque, economy) is all great as well but that's down to the engine and I wasn't going to mention the engine was I
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 03:16 AM   #15
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
8

 
JonMad's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
oh, the seats are great too!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 03:42 AM   #16
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
10

 
Snake Pliskin's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lincs


Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

I must admit .. I was struggling to find anything that I didn't like about the car .. which is quite unique

As an allround package, i think its pretty much un-touchable by anything else in its price bracket .. & perhaps even higher price brackets
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 05:37 AM   #17
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
214

 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK


Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
Think I better always remember to change down to "3rd" then when wanting to make some rapid progress

Crikey, the 120d is a bit of a worry too ... hmm, i think we need to "tone down" this power on these diesel cars
In simple terms the diesels 'forgive' if you are in the wrong gear - the petrols don't.

I sort of want that though - as it provides a bit more urgency and involvement. My 530d is just point and shoot. With an auto box, wipers, headlights and cruise control all you have to do is remember to brake and steer. With active cruise you don't even need to brake !

I want to DRIVE - hence the manual 330i
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #18
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
8

 
JonMad's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
In simple terms the diesels 'forgive' if you are in the wrong gear - the petrols don't.
There's still a best gear to be in at whatever speed, so you still can choose to be involved. It's just that the difference between gears, say 3rd and 4th, is smaller. So almost more of a challenge then to get the most out of it?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
E92-Mark
Environmental petrol head.
United Kingdom
6

 
E92-Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 330d Coupé
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bristol, England


Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to E92-Mark
The thing I love most is the handling. Now my E90 is on trade-in for the E92, I've been mistreating my car and throwing her around and I'm constantly impressed by how well she takes it. The high gear power is also fun on the motorways when you want to nip into that space in the next lane.
__________________


Currently : 330d SE Coupe, TiAg, Jade Leather Sports seats, HiGloss trim, 17" 188s, 6MT, CA, SunRoof, HBA, Pro Audio, 6CD, Bluetooth & Armrest
Retired : 320d SE E90, SG, Blk Leather, Xenons, Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #20
SoYank
Major General
United_States
166

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar
Hey, don't mock the mpg. Diesel drivers will get a little touchy on the subject!

48 mpg....

The best bit of mine is the pull from 50 to 80. Really helps on most of the UK roads. The reliability is very good - no problems so far.
Petrol rules!
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue · Black Leather · Burl Walnut · 6MT · US Spec
SatNav • ZPP • ZCW • 6FL • TPMS • iDrive • PDC • HWS • Xenons • BMW Assist • Power Rear Sunshade • Logic 7
European Taillights • Rear Foglamp • OEM Alarm • PicoTray • DataToys XM-DVR • Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 01-01-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #21
mjh93sa
Major General
England
100

 
mjh93sa's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire


Posts: 5,079
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Nice try Floyd!
Attached Images
 
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #22
SoYank
Major General
United_States
166

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner
Nice try Floyd!
That's obscene! How'd you do that, in flight refueling?

Bet you did what I did.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue · Black Leather · Burl Walnut · 6MT · US Spec
SatNav • ZPP • ZCW • 6FL • TPMS • iDrive • PDC • HWS • Xenons • BMW Assist • Power Rear Sunshade • Logic 7
European Taillights • Rear Foglamp • OEM Alarm • PicoTray • DataToys XM-DVR • Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST