E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Keeping the e90...for now

03-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [5.00]
Keeping the e90...for now

Hey guys!

So I was selling my 200k mile e90, sold my headers, 3 stage intake, cold air intake, and went back to stock tune however I am keeping her for now. I decided in keeping it because I am going back to school and didn't want a car payment, car has been paid off for many years.

However I got a couple of issues that just started appearing. First of all, I my car keeps telling me that my back drivers side door is open, it happens usually when I just start driving. I keep checking if it's open but it's not. It just started doing this in the winter so not sure if it is weather related. Have not heard of anyone having this issue before.

The next issue is when I am stopped at a light and start going my car jumps violently, when I press the gas it jumps like I am being hit from behind it will do this a couple of times then stop. So I narrowed it down to it only happens like once a month, and only on a hot start so say I drive to work (1hr drive) then stop and turn the car off for like 1-2min then start her back up, and say I stop somewhere else and again turn her off(1-2min) and turn her back on. Then it will start the jumping. I am sorry if i am not explaining correctly but it seems to only happen on a really hot start after multiple on and offs. Again this only happens maybe once a month or once every two months. I was thinking maybe it is dme related. All maintenance is up to date and the car is in perfect shape besides this.

I have not ran any codes yet, going to tell my mechanic to do that when I get my oil change and brake fluid replaced next week. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Here is a few up to date pics of my baby! I still love her like the day I got her! After school ends thinking about keeping this as a winter driver and getting an m3 as a summer/fun car!

- Yiannis
Attached Images

1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Can't offer advise about issues - hopefully someone else will chime in, but the car looks beautiful! I bet it costs pennies if you sell it, so I agree keeping it is a right decision if you have space for 2 cars. The gap between how good car looks and handles and the money you can get for her selling - is just unorthodox man. $5-8k that you sell it is nothing compared to $30k for a new Toyota/Honda econobox that will look a lot worse and handle a lot worse too. Unfortunately - for majority of people reliability is what matters most. They don't care about how good car is engineered or how good it handles - they only care for car to be newer and more reliable. It's a Corolla driven world man, sad but what can we do...smh

I fear soon everything will be Prius dominated
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
Can't offer advise about issues - hopefully someone else will chime in, but the car looks beautiful! I bet it costs pennies if you sell it, so I agree keeping it is a right decision if you have space for 2 cars. The gap between how good car looks and handles and the money you can get for her selling - is just unorthodox man. $5-8k that you sell it is nothing compared to $30k for a new Toyota/Honda econobox that will look a lot worse and handle a lot worse too. Unfortunately - for majority of people reliability is what matters most. They don't care about how good car is engineered or how good it handles - they only care for car to be newer and more reliable. It's a Corolla driven world man, sad but what can we do...smh

I fear soon everything will be Prius dominated
Thanks for the compliments. That's my reasoning exactly there is no way I get the same car including looks and performance for the cost of a new car payment. I am going to go to school and make a hell of a lot more money coming out so it just makes sense to hold on to it and get the m car I always wanted.

The car drives perfect except for that little issue I was explaining before, it rarely happens and only going from a stop.

More pictures to help me get through this snow storm and start thinking of warm weather and summer!

- Yiannis
Attached Images

1st Bimmer - 2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
natedog7700
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 550whp

First issue sounds like an electrical problem or possible sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
Bours
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Sickkk headlights what are those !?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
DaZuc
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Garage List
Do you have auto tranny?

I believe there was a TSB about this exact issue where the transmission would shift aggressively.
Check for EGS update.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Regarding the "door ajar" issue.....Found on another bmw site (from waaaaay back in 2008 at that). Quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddycrabs
I talked to a service tech at my dealership...

The sensor is located in the door latch itself. I tried messing around with it, but there's not much there. You'd have to take the door panel off and get inside there to really do anything.

The tech also told me that sometimes in cold weather, especially in the coupes, the weather stripping will expand out. So he recommended just pushing it in with your hand to make sure the door gets all the way shut.

I did all of that and it seems to have fixed my problem. I haven't gotten it for a few days now. (keeping my fingers crossed.)

The tech did say it would be $500-1000 to replace that sensor, he did one on an x5 for $800 recently he said. So there's an idea of what you might pay to have it fixed.

Good luck.
There were a number of suggestions, ranging from "clean it up/degrease it", to "spray wd-40 on the door latch/sensor", to "replace it".

One more post that seemed helpful there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcool
Ok, here's a trick from my Lincoln Mark VIII days. Those cars were infamous for their recurring "door ajar" propensity and the cure there may also work for the Bimmers. In that case, the sensor is just a plain N/O switch that closes when the latch engages properly. With the dust/dirt/grease/grime, the plunger doesn't move freely, so what we did was flood the latch area where the sensor is located with WD40 to dissolve the crud, working the door and spraying till the problem disappeared. Then, very important, you would flood the area with high quality silicone spray lubricant to displace the WD40 and leave a lubricating film. This last step is important, cause the WD40 will evaporate/dry out and things will get sticky again. Mind you that by flooding I mean spraying till it starts dripping abundantly out the bottom of the door.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00089.html
      03-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
Sickkk headlights what are those !?
Custom made from a guy on here did it about 3-4 years ago
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZuc View Post
Do you have auto tranny?

I believe there was a TSB about this exact issue where the transmission would shift aggressively.
Check for EGS update.
Yes I do. Will take a look at it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Regarding the "door ajar" issue.....Found on another bmw site (from waaaaay back in 2008 at that). Quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddycrabs
I talked to a service tech at my dealership...

The sensor is located in the door latch itself. I tried messing around with it, but there's not much there. You'd have to take the door panel off and get inside there to really do anything.

The tech also told me that sometimes in cold weather, especially in the coupes, the weather stripping will expand out. So he recommended just pushing it in with your hand to make sure the door gets all the way shut.

I did all of that and it seems to have fixed my problem. I haven't gotten it for a few days now. (keeping my fingers crossed.)

The tech did say it would be $500-1000 to replace that sensor, he did one on an x5 for $800 recently he said. So there's an idea of what you might pay to have it fixed.

Good luck.
There were a number of suggestions, ranging from "clean it up/degrease it", to "spray wd-40 on the door latch/sensor", to "replace it".

One more post that seemed helpful there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcool
Ok, here's a trick from my Lincoln Mark VIII days. Those cars were infamous for their recurring "door ajar" propensity and the cure there may also work for the Bimmers. In that case, the sensor is just a plain N/O switch that closes when the latch engages properly. With the dust/dirt/grease/grime, the plunger doesn't move freely, so what we did was flood the latch area where the sensor is located with WD40 to dissolve the crud, working the door and spraying till the problem disappeared. Then, very important, you would flood the area with high quality silicone spray lubricant to displace the WD40 and leave a lubricating film. This last step is important, cause the WD40 will evaporate/dry out and things will get sticky again. Mind you that by flooding I mean spraying till it starts dripping abundantly out the bottom of the door.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00089.html
Thanks soo much I will take a look at that sensor!
Appreciate 0