E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW and Ball Collaborate to Make a Watch

11-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

BMW and Ball Collaborate to Make a Watch

Sorry is this has already been shared before. I don't recall having seen it, but I don't see everything on the forum.

You can read the details here -- http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-...ch-collection/ - but it's a very nice watch and one of the few non-watch company sponsored watches I'd consider. Most of the time, such things are pure crap.

Here are some pics.

Price List (not sure how current it is) (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Y2m8S8r2VYl4MQ)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 11-11-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Added price list.
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
mythek
ridiculously slow over dips

Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

sick watches, love the last one. where can i buy these?
mythek is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain

Drives: E92

How much are these ?
      11-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Nice hi quality watches, seen them before - they run $4K + though...
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythek View Post
sick watches, love the last one. where can i buy these?
http://littletreasury.com/store/swis...h-for-bmw.html

http://www.topperjewelers.com/watches/ball/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291010948021?lpid=82

Price list (may be out of date): http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Y2m8S8r2VYl4MQ

Here's another one added to the collection: http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-...nograph-fleet/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      11-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
tony20009
Brigadier General

Here is a little lore on Ball watches, in particular the Trainmaster line. I don't know just how accurate it is, but it is a fact that WC Ball was appointed as a train time/schedule inspector after a major train crash and that he did make watches. Ball watches originally carried American made movements, but WC Ball felt the Swiss ones better and thus switched to using Swiss movements as they do today. They still make timepieces for some small railroad companies.

Perhaps the most significant thing WC Ball did was establish the standards used for COSC certification. Those standards are the ones still used today.

Now for the "lore" which seems at least plausible, even if it's not entirely true, yet there is likely some marketing flair in there somewhere:

In April, 1891, 120 years ago, two trains collided head-on at the depot in Kipton, Ohio, in what became known as the Kipton Fast Mail train tragedy. Several people were killed. As the story goes, an engineer’s slow watch may have been the cause. The incident prompted Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad to enlist Webb C. Ball to investigate timing conditions and to develop an inspection system to insure such a tragedy would never occur again. This lead to the creation of the Ball Time Service, and to the implementation of standardized practices for pocket watch manufacturing to assure dependable and accurate timepieces. Soon people were setting their watches by the train, and Ball’s name became synonymous with timeliness as phrases like “He’s on the ball” entered the lexicon.

I doubt that the phrase "on the ball" originated from the watch, but that it was applied to the watch and the timeliness of the trains is probably true. (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/on-the-ball.html) It seems entirely likely, given that that GMT was still relatively a new thing, that any number of "things" related to time may have adopted the phrase. I can see there being some correlation between time keeping for trains (or anything else) and the fortuitous coincidence of Mr. Balls surname.

11-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto

Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [3.50]
If you're going to spend that kind of money and don't want a name everyone knows get one of these. These watches are amazing!!! They are tough to buy though as you can only get them from his tiny shop in Switzerland.

http://professionalwatches.com/2010/...uriac-chr.html

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"

Last edited by Kid Eh; 11-11-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Kid Eh is offline   Canada
      11-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
ericfox11
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

I still don't feel like I could ever justify buying a watch for that kind of money. And the one above with a non leather strap...honestly looks like something you could buy for $100. I understand the movements and things are clearly better but I really don't see the value.

We should start a thread where we share what watches we wear. I generally wear the following: http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bulova/dress/98H51

It is very lightweight which I know feels kinda cheap but it makes it to where I don't notice the watch which I like.
      11-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Kid Eh
Grand Theft Votto

Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfox11 View Post
I still don't feel like I could ever justify buying a watch for that kind of money. And the one above with a non leather strap...honestly looks like something you could buy for $100. I understand the movements and things are clearly better but I really don't see the value.

We should start a thread where we share what watches we wear. I generally wear the following: http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bulova/dress/98H51

It is very lightweight which I know feels kinda cheap but it makes it to where I don't notice the watch which I like.
Think of it as art. Which is exactly what it is. Sure your battery operated Bulova tells you the time just like a mechanical watch but that's not what it's about. You're either a watch guy or you're not.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"

Last edited by Kid Eh; 11-11-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Kid Eh is offline   Canada
      11-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Ackrite
The Wizard

Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Send a message via AIM to Ackrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericfox11 View Post

Definitely an "each to their own" scenario here...I'm sure many people make similar comparisons for cars (i.e., "why spend $50K+ on a car that gets me from A to B just like a $13K Hyundai Accent?").

And frankly, the $4-5K price point is just a hair above entry level when speaking in terms of Swiss-made mechanical watches. Most of the big names (i.e., Panerai, Vacheron, Patek, IWC, etc) are well above that price.

Don't even mention anything with a Tourbillon movement in it!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Ackrite is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
walmark
Apprentice

Drives: 335i e93 '08 sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackrite View Post
Definitely an "each to their own" scenario here...I'm sure many people make similar comparisons for cars (i.e., "why spend $50K+ on a car that gets me from A to B just like a $13K Hyundai Accent?").

And frankly, the $4-5K price point is just a hair above entry level when speaking in terms of Swiss-made mechanical watches. Most of the big names (i.e., Panerai, Vacheron, Patek, IWC, etc) are well above that price.

Spoken like a true WIS

Anyways, Bentley and Breitling figured out how to do it nice and classy, it's about time for the BMW to also find themselves a worthy partner
      11-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Mardio
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 335is space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
Spoken like a true WIS

Anyways, Bentley and Breitling figured out how to do it nice and classy, it's about time for the BMW to also find themselves a worthy partner
+1
      11-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
ericfox11
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport

IWC is my favorite, I love those watches
      11-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
Think of it as art. Which is exactly what it is. Sure your battery operated Bulova tells you the time just like a mechanical watch but that's not what it's about. You're either a watch guy or you're not.
+1

11-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackrite View Post

+1

True enough. There are but a few manufacture movements (as opposed to derivative movements) that one can find between $3K and $4K. There are plenty of really nice watches at or below (as well as above) that range having ETA and other companies' movements, some of which are modified and some of which aren't. More often than not, however, the modifications are aesthetic. However, in all fairness, the extent to which some folks decorate those base ETA movements can be quite impressive and deserving of the price one pays for them. Here is one such company: http://tourbywatches.com/shop/page/5...ju&shop_param=.

At one point some years back, I was a bit fussy about buying in-house watches. I'm a lot less so now. The Ball pieces above are examples of something I might buy if I just wanted the novelty of a watch associated with my BMW. The movement inside is "nothing special" and yet something worthwhile. What's not special about it is that it's an ETA movement one can find in a great many watches. What's worthwhile about it is that it's a movement found in a great many watches and thus one that is easily serviced and has a proven track record for reliability and toughness much the same way Hondas and Toyotas do.

The Ball for BMW watches carry a premium over most Ball watches, but that's to be expected for such types of watches. They come with something promoted as a "digital key" which as actually the owner's manual for the watch on a USB drive shaped like a key. In other words, something easily lost or easily not lost, depending on how you are with such things. LOL.

11-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat

Drives: Black E90 328xi

I <3 watches.. I have over a dozen... No TH or Breitling yet, but I do like Swiss watches the best. Honestly, I shop on amazon.com - you can get very nice watches at a huge discount.
Thrakos is offline   Canada
      11-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
mashimarho
BMW Genius

Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™

Garage List
Looks good. Although, the most I'd spend on a watch is probably $500... And, that's only if I really like it.

Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
mashimarho is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #18
ErzenE92
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Garage List
I like this threat, I have several watches including Breitling, Tag, Panerai. My personal favorite is the Panerai it is simple but elegant at the same time. It is like buying a car you get what you pay for. IMO
ErzenE92 is offline   United_States
      11-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrakos View Post
I <3 watches.. I have over a dozen... No TH or Breitling yet, but I do like Swiss watches the best. Honestly, I shop on amazon.com - you can get very nice watches at a huge discount.
Swiss watches are lovely, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't look into what the Germans have to offer. There are a number of good ones in the Tag/Breitling price bracket and a few a tick below. Here are few that are a good place to consider.

• Damasko
  • Nomos Glashutte
  • Glashutte Original
  • A. Lange & Sohne -- I wouldn't start here unless I had a ton of money to spend.
Surprisingly, Overstock.com has a huge assortment of very well priced watches. They have a lot of stuff I wouldn't want too, but a little research tells which ones are good deals. The thing I like about The O is that you know they are for real. I don't have to wonder where the thing is coming from or whether it'll get to me in good order. It's also a well organized website and doesn't have any of that wonky flash and bang that many official watch brand sites have. (I just can't stand all that animated crap that I have to endure just to get to watch I want.)

I've not had such great luck with Amazon, but I don't doubt your experience being different. It's just that every time I've come across something on Amazon, it's no better priced than at the local AD for the same item.

but FWIW:

One side note regarding Tag, and this is something I share with many a person who approaches me about Tag watches. (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=6)