E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I reset my dash computer - ugh

03-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
aloyouis
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi

I reset my dash computer - ugh

So I was playing around with the dash computer via the odometer reset button on my 2009 328i xDrive.

I accidentally completely reset the dash computer via the odometer button! After this happened I had to reset the clock, date etc. I didn't think much of it at the time as aside from the clock/date all appeared fine.

That said, I now realize that this has caused a problem as the computer no longer accurately computes my gas milage. Prior it was within a half mile per gallon when compared to manually calculating the milage. I was "getting" 24-25 all around and 29-30 highway. Based on manual calculations, I still am getting that mileage but the computer is showing 18-19 all around and 21-22 when in the highway. Interestingly, when I use my ELM ODB tool, Dash Command shows the correct MPG while the dash shows the incorrect (lower) MPG. Weird. So I have two questions:

1. How do I re-calibrate the computer so that it correctly computes my mileage?

2. Could this be causing any issues?

If anyone can enlighten me, I would really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Douche
Ban
Rep
Drives: Car

It sounds like coincidentally your battery is low on charge. Nothing to do with you "resetting" anything nor to a lack of calibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
aloyouis
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi

Battery? That is interesting. I has been VERY cold here in MI for the last two months and the battery may indeed be weak. A low battery will cause the dash computer to be inaccurate while the computer that feeds data to the OBD port remains accurate?

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0