E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > HELP! Completely lost in the Product Maze

05-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
roamer
Private
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

HELP! Completely lost in the Product Maze

I thought I had a handle on things and then the company shipping me the polishes, etc., sent me the wrong stuff. Now I am trying to fill out the bill using local suppliers.

Here is my problem: 2007 Black Saphire with swirl marks throughout and some abrasions (prior owner did not care for the paint at all), but nothing that you can feel to the touch.

Here is what I was going to do:

1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Remove Swirls/abrasions (pneumatic PC Orbital w/fine cut pad)
4. Finish Polish (orbital w/finish cut pad)
5. Seal (orbital w/ glaze/sealant pad)
6. Wax (2 days later) (hand)

I have the products and process down on steps 1 & 2. Step 3, I was mistakenly sent Meguire's 105 (I asked for 205 and was going to use a 3M swirl remover instead). First question, is 105 too abrasive for my problems?

My next problem is that I was going to use the 205 as the finish polish. So, what I am looking for is something to use after the 105 (providing 105 is not too aggressive). Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait to swap out the products and am left to local suppliers. The only good products available to me are the 3M line, so what would I use after the 105 (assuming the 105 is the correct starting point). In the alternative, if 105 is too aggressive, what 3M products should I try instead?

Lastly, I am applying Klasse SG. How long after it is applied to I have to wait before putting on a Carnuba Wax?

Thank you VERY much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
United_States
Rep

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

What's the big rush?

I don't know much about the 3M line, but both Meguires and Menzerna make top notch stuff. If you had everything planned out, sort things out with the place you bought the supplies from and do it right the first time. Your plan looks pretty good though.

Meg's 105 might be too aggressive but it's really tough to know without seeing the car (or at least some pictures). You have to assume the car has never been professionally detailed. A two year old car (especially in Black Sapphire) might need it. Maybe you can take a few pictures for us?

And I would wait 24-48 hours after applying your Klasse SG before applying a wax. The longer the better really. Here is a good guide for applying Klasse SG.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
roamer
Private
Rep

Unfortunately, I have about 1 weekend a month where the boss allows me enough time to work on her . . . so you can understand my rush!

I could not find our camera (probably rolling around in the boss' purse), but here is a good indication of what is going on with my car (swirls, hazing and abbrasions).
http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...983_p44016.jpg

I also have in my arsenal, 3M fine cut compound (which may be MORE abbrasive than the 105) and 3M Finishing Polish (which may be the right follow-up for the 105, but I don't know).

It seems from the product description, that 105 applied with the foam fine cut pad, MAY be the ticket, but I don't want to damage my paint to find out!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
United_States
Rep

Ah, understood.

If you have even moderate swirling, I'd say you will be fine with the 105. Again, on a 2 year old Black Sapphire car, it's unlikely it will be too aggressive. However, if you care for the paint properly after this detail, you shouldn't need to use the 105 again (or at least, not for a long time).

The 105 followed by the 3M Finishing sounds like a good combination to me. The 3M sounds like it would be comparable with Megs 205.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
roamer
Private
Rep

I would say the swirls are more than moderate. I don't think this car was ever waxed and it looks like they dried it with sandpaper. I feel pretty comfortable now that I have the right combo.

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Another suggestion I would give you is when you are ready for your sealant....or wax...or both.....make sure you get some product that is meant for a dark colored car. I went with Menzerna's Full Molecular Jacket (sealant) which is made specifically for dark cars. I also have a black saph, and the FMJ is incredible. Makes my car look "wet" all the time. I like it so much that I no longer use wax. If you do happen to prefer a couple coats of wax, Poorboys Natty Blue is also specific for black (dark) cars.

BTW I know how you feel about being in kind of a whirlwind with all the products available. I credit this forum with a ton of great information that really helped me sort everything out.
      05-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
roamer
Private
Rep

Thanks Normtrum.

My biggest problem is with the product descriptions. The marketing folks got involved and everything is a polish or a wax or a sealant. The pro-line products seem a bit better, but why can't they simply say, "this is a fine compound" or "this is a finish polish". Instead, they all talk in terms of what they claim it does ("it will remove x").
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 335i Coupe

if you want good desprictions use the user reviews on detailed image and try the Poorboys SSR line. 1, 2, 2.5, 3. 1 is finest 3 is the coarsest polish. the plus is that they make some very good products
      05-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
United_States
Rep

Indeed. DI's descriptions and reviews are very helpful. You should be able to tell what's aggressive and what's mild. And if you have any doubts you can always ask here.

Appreciate 0