E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Opinions Needed - my second shoot



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
KANdaddy
Lieutenant Colonel
KANdaddy's Avatar
44
Rep
1,709
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali

iTrader: (4)

Opinions Needed - my second shoot

Hi folks,

Just wanted to get some constructive critcism here.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264190

Only my second shoot. Photos were shot in RAW with my Nikon D40 + kit lens. Manipulation was a mix of Lighroom, PS 7.0, and Nikon Capture NX 2.0.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
KANdaddy
Lieutenant Colonel
KANdaddy's Avatar
44
Rep
1,709
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali

iTrader: (4)

no one?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
scollins's Avatar
No_Country
35
Rep
2,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (3)

The stormtrooper pic is hilarious!

I think they look pretty good. But I'm a sucker for an E90 M3....
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
KANdaddy
Lieutenant Colonel
KANdaddy's Avatar
44
Rep
1,709
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
The stormtrooper pic is hilarious!
lol. thx
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
dosserj
FOR SALE
dosserj's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SATX

iTrader: (0)

Beautiful car, obviously, but on to the pix...
It looks like you took them in the mid-day sun which is never favorable. I can see you tried to darken the bright sky in some of your pix, but it really just gave them a gray tint. A quick fix is a graduated neutral density filter which is designed to darken the tops of photos for you and also looks a little more natural.
Do you use any flashes at all? That will help illuminate the side of the car that is cast in shadows. Many of your photos had one side of the car in the harsh sun and the other in shadows. Flashes will help!
My suggestion would be to get a tripod, at least one flash and wait for an overcast day or shoot in morning/evening when the sun isn't right overhead. Many photographers talk about the "magic hour" which is the time the sun creates soft, diffused light as it is setting. Try to find that window of time and as mentioned, use a tripod.
You are on the right track tho! Any picture of an M3 is a winner to me
__________________
-SOLD-
'08 E92 M3 :: AW/FR :: HRE P40s :: Remus Race Exhaust :: RD Sport Rear Bumper
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
lyndon_h's Avatar
20
Rep
1,920
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

iTrader: (2)

I'm not the one to be critiquing as I'm a beginner, but I agree with Dosserj about the colors. I think pictures #4 and #7 have the most natural colors.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
KANdaddy
Lieutenant Colonel
KANdaddy's Avatar
44
Rep
1,709
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cali

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosserj View Post
Beautiful car, obviously, but on to the pix...
It looks like you took them in the mid-day sun which is never favorable. I can see you tried to darken the bright sky in some of your pix, but it really just gave them a gray tint. A quick fix is a graduated neutral density filter which is designed to darken the tops of photos for you and also looks a little more natural.
Do you use any flashes at all? That will help illuminate the side of the car that is cast in shadows. Many of your photos had one side of the car in the harsh sun and the other in shadows. Flashes will help!
My suggestion would be to get a tripod, at least one flash and wait for an overcast day or shoot in morning/evening when the sun isn't right overhead. Many photographers talk about the "magic hour" which is the time the sun creates soft, diffused light as it is setting. Try to find that window of time and as mentioned, use a tripod.
You are on the right track tho! Any picture of an M3 is a winner to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
I'm not the one to be critiquing as I'm a beginner, but I agree with Dosserj about the colors. I think pictures #4 and #7 have the most natural colors.
Thanks for the feedback folks. I am heading to SoCal next week to do another shoot. Will def try some of your suggestions. I did use a tripod for all these shots BTW, so not sure where i screwed up there.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
lyndon_h's Avatar
20
Rep
1,920
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. I am heading to SoCal next week to do another shoot. Will def try some of your suggestions. I did use a tripod for all these shots BTW, so not sure where i screwed up there.
np. I know this is the noob way, but I often put my camera in auto mode for the first couple of pictures to see what my camera thinks the settings should be. Then i put it in manual, then set the settings close to the auto settings then start tweaking.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST