E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car wash totally scratched up my car. What to do?

Closed Thread

05-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Debaser
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Angry Car wash totally scratched up my car. What to do?

Took the car to a self-serve car wash station. My first time at a self-serve. I washed the car, rinsed it, and took it outside to vacuum. While doing so, I noticed that the car had been scratched up all over - from hood to trunk. Many of the scratches can be felt with the fingernail. There must be at least two dozen of them.

I lodged a complaint with the manager and after lots of arguing he offered only a 20% discount at his own detail shop. He told me the scratches were likely caused by the foam brush at the washing station, which often contains sand/silt/rocks from previous washers. He told me I should have sprayed down the brush with the high pressure hose as the instructions indicated.

I didn't spray down the brush and I acknowledged that the instructions posted inside the station mentioned doing so. But nowhere was there a warning that failing to do so would run the serious risk of scratching the vehicle. As far as I was concerned, ensuring the proper maintenance of their washing equipment - so as to not damage other people's property - is the responsibility of the car wash company. My responsibility was to pay and to use their equipment in a reasonable fashion, which I did.

In any case, I'm at a loss of what to do. I took the car to a reputable detail shop run by a friend and they quoted me $200 for a full day's work of washing, waxing, a complete buff job, cleaning and re-washing/waxing. On top of the scratches, they wanted to detail out the swirl marks that are typical on the black BMWs (in other words, they want to do more than just buff out the scratches).

The detail shop promised the car would look like 95% new again, but told me that some of the scratches would still be there if I looked closely enough. There's just nothing they can do about some of them.

I called the car was company owner and explained my situation to him. I told him I would be preparing a case for small claims court and that I would write the local newspaper to indicate my poor experience. I'm currently in a very small town where reputation matters. He told me to prepare for a counter-suit in libel.

What to do?

Any lawyers in the audience?

My poor, poor car!
      05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
ianthegreat
Colonel

Drives: n54

So he's getting fiesty?

Ok.. so is the type of car wash where you insert the quarters and use their little brush to scrub your car? If it is, those things are notorious for being filthy, sand ridden pieces of crap. Whether you have a case or not, I think it was dumb to use one of those in the first place. Protect your baby!

Hopefully someone can help you out.
      05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
yomama69
Banned

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
Took the car to a self-serve car wash station. My first time at a self-serve. I washed the car, rinsed it, and took it outside to vacuum. While doing so, I noticed that the car had been scratched up all over - from hood to trunk. Many of the scratches can be felt with the fingernail. There must be at least two dozen of them.

I lodged a complaint with the manager and after lots of arguing he offered only a 20% discount at his own detail shop. He told me the scratches were likely caused by the foam brush at the washing station, which often contains sand/silt/rocks from previous washers. He told me I should have sprayed down the brush with the high pressure hose as the instructions indicated.

I didn't spray down the brush and I acknowledged that the instructions posted inside the station mentioned doing so. But nowhere was there a warning that failing to do so would run the serious risk of scratching the vehicle. As far as I was concerned, ensuring the proper maintenance of their washing equipment - so as to not damage other people's property - is the responsibility of the car wash company. My responsibility was to pay and to use their equipment in a reasonable fashion, which I did.

In any case, I'm at a loss of what to do. I took the car to a reputable detail shop run by a friend and they quoted me $200 for a full day's work of washing, waxing, a complete buff job, cleaning and re-washing/waxing. On top of the scratches, they wanted to detail out the swirl marks that are typical on the black BMWs (in other words, they want to do more than just buff out the scratches).

The detail shop promised the car would look like 95% new again, but told me that some of the scratches would still be there if I looked closely enough. There's just nothing they can do about some of them.

I called the car was company owner and explained my situation to him. I told him I would be preparing a case for small claims court and that I would write the local newspaper to indicate my poor experience. I'm currently in a very small town where reputation matters. He told me to prepare for a counter-suit in libel.

What to do?

My poor, poor car!
I don't think there are any Canadian barristers here.
yomama69 is offline   United_States
      05-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

Yeah...I don't use those for my bimmer, but with my old car I made sure to throughly rince the brush out. Glad they're putting signs up now. People often take their cars to those when they're REALLY dirty...like 4x4's, snow plows, etc. People also, as I found out, wash their engines at these places. The LAST time I used one of these (~5 years ago), I rinsed my car to find it COVERED in greasy smears. It took forever with solvent to clean it off and rewax, but I guess this wasn't too bad considering your problem. The attendent basically said "tough luck". That's the crappy thing...until the damage is bad enough to make legal action a viable option, most car wash/quick lube/etc. places will just tell you to piss off.
      05-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
markinva
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335i

I feel for you that that happened, but you should've known better.

do you expect the self-serve car wash brush to be cleaned for you after a customer uses it?
markinva is offline   United_States
      05-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......

Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
I feel for you man ........

If ever I find myself having to use a "do it yourself" wash then I'll have a bucket, soap, wash mit and chamois to use. Using their pre-wash and rinse is all I'll use. Basically a $3.50 wash that I feel pretty good about.

ToadHollow is offline   Italy
      05-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
DC5ITR88
Private First Class

Drives: E46 M3

i dont think ur gona win if u take this to small claims...

there are instructions obviously posted and you even admitted to the manager that u didnt follow them

u shouldve known... I still go to those places but I dont even touch that brush sitting in the corner.

Just by looking at the brush should scream dont use me
      05-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise

Drives: circles around you

User error. Lesson learned.

Lawsuit? You f'ing kidding?

Quote:

What to do?

My poor, poor car!
      05-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
valeram
Major

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I never use those foam-brush on the car painted surface. I only use them to clean my tires and rims. Just take the offer and learn from this experience.
      05-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
User error. Lesson learned.

Lawsuit? You f'ing kidding?
i see American ideals are creeping into Canada-land.
      05-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
canucklion

Write to the paper, I'm sure they'll publish your piece in the Joke/Humor section.

Next time use some common sense before you do something; what did you think would happen when you use a brush (that has been used by many other people before you) to wash your car?

Quote:
(
      05-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Cough up $300, get a polish and don't do it again. Is this really worth a lawsuit?

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
NewSong is offline   United_States
      05-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
KingJaffeJoffer
Enlisted Member

Drives: Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Cough up $300, get a polish and don't do it again. Is this really worth a lawsuit?
Exactly. And you get the 20% discount.

Edit: use your friend's detail shop.
      05-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
canucklion

local news
Attached Images

05-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
danniexi
Colonel

Drives: 2008 AW E92 335xi

So you wanna file a case against the owner due to user error?
danniexi is online now   South Korea
      05-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
twinturboa51
Captain

Drives: Montego Blue 335i Coupe

+1 use your friends detail shop. You could do it yourself but you would spend that much on supplies and unless you have done detailing before I wouldn’t recommend learning on a bmw. Lawyers???? That’s just sad that that’s the first thing people think about these days for anything, there was a sign posted, it won’t work. My .02
      05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
ianthegreat
Colonel

Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboa51 View Post
+1 use your friends detail shop. You could do it yourself but you would spend that much on supplies and unless you have done detailing before I wouldn’t recommend learning on a bmw. Lawyers???? That’s just sad that that’s the first thing people think about these days for anything, there was a sign posted, it won’t work. My .02
1. Lawyers > bringing gun to place of business and shooting everyone

2. It isn't the op's friend. The owner of the car wash probably owns the detailer (LOL)
      05-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Quote:
Yes. And they can tell you that you scratched up your car and that you'd be wasting your money on legal fees. Pay the $200-500 to get it polished and sealed, and consider this a lesson learned.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
      05-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
3002 tii
Major General

Drives: flat out

Garage List
sucks that you come here looking for help/sympathy/advice but truth is, there's nothing you can do about it and hopefully you did learn your lesson. your bmw deserves better and you do get what you pay for. only time i take mine to machine wash is during the winters just so they can get the salt off the bottom, and that's only at the end of winter.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
      05-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
KingJaffeJoffer
Enlisted Member

Drives: Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
consider this a lesson learned.
And you have done a service to this community (seriously). This is the kind of thread that people will read and take heed of. I have.
      05-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
jngjng72
Private First Class

Drives: 335

I grew up in Ottawa and I can tell you I used those self serve bays quite often, but I would never use their brushes. I would do as a previous poster said, own bucket, own washmitt, own chamois. Those brushes are never clean and you really don't know what the heck is on them. Even if you did as the sign said and sprayed it before using, I still wouldn't trust them. Don't forget in the long winters up there, some people get the undercarriage, lower sides oils sprayed. Then in the spring/summer, those brushes are used to remove the oil spray, so the dirt never leaves the bristles and you end up sandpapering/oiling your paint's finish.
Unfortunately, your car is black, so visible scratches are unavoidable. Just keep it waxed/detailed frequently and it won't be as visible.

2007 E93 335i Alpine White Auto/CPP/ZPP/ZSP
2012 CT200H
2009 X5 Workhorse/Kidmobile
jngjng72 is offline   United_States
      05-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #22
GreenThree
Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90

Saw a commercial for "Scratch Dr." the other night. And no its not a new mechanism to scratch your ass for you. The way they presented this scratch removal on tv = TGTBT

2013 328i Xdrive | AT | Glacier Silver | Black Leatherette | Htd Seats | Moonroof
Closed Thread