E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What is a Fair Price for Brake Job?

05-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
ThorsHammer
Major

Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

What is a Fair Price for Brake Job?

I have done a lot of DIY, but never brakes. I'm just not comfortable messing with it.

I have new rotors, pads, front/mid/rear brake lines, caliper lube, brake quiet, and brake fluid. I do not anticipate them doing a complete flush...just bleeding the lines after they replace them. Basically, I have all the parts necessary. This is not a job including calipers....just the rotors, lines, and pads for an e92.

So, given that I have all the necessary parts and accessories, what would be a fair price for labor? All four wheels.

Thanks!
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
ThorsHammer is offline   United_States
      05-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
hipertech
Major

Drives: F30

Im about to ask the same question as well.

Prefer to have a professional shop install them for me.

But in my case, I only need to change front/rear brake lines, Mid brake line, and pads only so im guessing about somewhere between 100~150.
hipertech is offline   No_Country
      05-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
ThorsHammer
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertech View Post
Im about to ask the same question as well.

Prefer to have a professional shop install them for me.

But in my case, I only need to change front/rear brake lines, Mid brake line, and pads only so im guessing about somewhere between 100~150.
You'll probably have a lot better luck finding a decent price in SoCal. Here in San Antonio, they'll all try to take me to the cleaners.
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
      05-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
pcarela
Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Garage List
2007 328i  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to pcarela
I got my Rotors,Caliper painted plus he installed my new brake pads with new sensor for $200.
,BMW 328i,Arctic Metallic,M tech,Ram Dinan CAI,Bmw Performance Exhaust,Performance spark plugs,Black Line,Euroswitch,Xenon Conversion with HID KIT from Halogens, 199- 19" Star spoke,InteriorTerra Leather,Premium Cold weather package,Led Lights.New> M3 spoiler, angel eyes harness,corner delete MOD,Lux h8.0, LCI 09 Xenon headlights,BMW Performance auto shift knob+boot,vinyl roof,Oem M3 220 wheels.
pcarela is offline   United_States
      05-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
ThorsHammer
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarela View Post
I got my Rotors,Caliper painted plus he installed my new brake pads with new sensor for $200.
Oh the sensor...that's something I didn't think of. I only have 8k miles. Will i need new sensor(s) ?
      05-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......

Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Typical labor cost for what you're referring to is roughly $215 front/rear @ the local Goodyear shop. This includes the flush. Price should be close to what you'll find in San Antonio ....... keep in mind you may have a more difficult time finding a shop to do this at all with your supplying all the parts. They'll only be able to charge for labor, environmental/shop fees and of course tax.

Takes quite a bit of money out of their pockets.

ToadHollow is offline   Italy
      05-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
ThorsHammer
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
Typical labor cost for what you're referring to is roughly $215 front/rear @ the local Goodyear shop. This includes the flush. Price should be close to what you'll find in San Antonio ....... keep in mind you may have a more difficult time finding a shop to do this at all with your supplying all the parts. They'll only be able to charge for labor, environmental/shop fees and of course tax.

Takes quite a bit of money out of their pockets.
Did Goodyear do yours? Did you just supply the rotors and pads? I know what you mean about cutting into their profits. Shops mark up parts so much it's ridiculous.

Oh, hey...get this. Of course I got the Cool Carbon pads, but I also went ahead and opted for the ceramics from Brake Performance since they were only $20 total. Remember how you said they didn't have the fronts in stock for our car? Well they told me they did...you should see these little things they sent. They look like they'd be for a VW Bug! LOL. Clearly they are the wrong ones.

Anyway, I intended to just keep them and put them on when I get ready to sell/trade the car in three or four years. I'll put the stock rotors back on with the Brake Performance pads.

Oh, did you get the black or silver rotors? I opted for black, thinking that it would just be the slots and dimples...but the whole thing is black. Of course that wears away and leaves only the slots and dimples black, but it surprised me when I opened the boxes. LOL
      05-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Did Goodyear do yours? Did you just supply the rotors and pads? I know what you mean about cutting into their profits. Shops mark up parts so much it's ridiculous.

Oh, hey...get this. Of course I got the Cool Carbon pads, but I also went ahead and opted for the ceramics from Brake Performance since they were only $20 total. Remember how you said they didn't have the fronts in stock for our car? Well they told me they did...you should see these little things they sent. They look like they'd be for a VW Bug! LOL. Clearly they are the wrong ones.

Anyway, I intended to just keep them and put them on when I get ready to sell/trade the car in three or four years. I'll put the stock rotors back on with the Brake Performance pads.

Oh, did you get the black or silver rotors? I opted for black, thinking that it would just be the slots and dimples...but the whole thing is black. Of course that wears away and leaves only the slots and dimples black, but it surprised me when I opened the boxes. LOL
Yeah, Goodyear is my shop for all the things I don't want to deal with. I supplied the (at the time) pads and rotors and nothing else. I'm out of town for another week or so and will have the CC pads installed once I return home. My Hotchkis ARB kit finally arrived as well!

I also went with the black dimpled/slotted and actually made a call to make sure everything was right with the order! LOL Listen when the tech takes the car for a ride to seat the brakes ...... you won't believe how loud these are until the zinc coating wears off.

Did you speak to some chick when adding on the ceramics? She seemed knowledgeable but then again I may have just been enamored with the sound of her voice .... I bet the ceramics they sell aren't much for quality for the price they're selling at .......

Btw, there shouldn't be any additional cost involved regarding installing the brake lines etc since it all basically is uninstalled anyway with any brake job. It's a very easy job on these cars if you have the basic metric tools. Of course, I'm too lazy. LOL!!

05-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
ThorsHammer
Major

Yeah I talked to her today! LOL. You and I are sooo much alike. I'll just leave it at that.

As for the lines, the front, mid, and rear all come off anyway?

And reading the DIY's, it does seem relatively straight forward. Maybe I have an irrational fear, I don't know. There's just something about messing with the brakes that gives me the heeby jeebies.

So did you replace your sensor or sensors? Hell, I don't even know how many there are.
      05-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Yeah I talked to her today! LOL. You and I are sooo much alike. I'll just leave it at that.

As for the lines, the front, mid, and rear all come off anyway?

And reading the DIY's, it does seem relatively straight forward. Maybe I have an irrational fear, I don't know. There's just something about messing with the brakes that gives me the heeby jeebies.

So did you replace your sensor or sensors? Hell, I don't even know how many there are.
LOL! Definitely ......

No, just the fronts would come off ...... my bad. As for the sensors, I left them in place since I knew I was going to have the pads changed out before too long anyway. Actually, I believe there is only 1 sensor per axle, diagonally placed if I remember correctly.

I'm with you on the DIY ..... if you can afford and more importantly FIND someone willing to do the job then that'd be the preferred route, imho.

05-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
uberschnell
Brigadier General

Drives: // 135i //, X5

Quote:
Oh the sensor...that's something I didn't think of. I only have 8k miles. Will i need new sensor(s) ?
Did you get a brake pad warning light? If you did most likely you wore down the pads to the point that the sensor made contact with the rotor face. If so it needs to be replaced. Otherwise, intact sensors can be re-used.
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
uberschnell is offline   No_Country
      05-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
ThorsHammer
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Did you get a brake pad warning light? If you did most likely you wore down the pads to the point that the sensor made contact with the rotor face. If so it needs to be replaced. Otherwise, intact sensors can be re-used.
Cool.

My brakes are fine. I just wanted to change for improved looks and performance.
      05-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Of course I'm late with the response so ............ what ^^^ he said