E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New owner of e92 m3!! :)

05-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
Richbe
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

I think your price is ok given the car has DCT. I was looking at cars at dealers recently, I was paying cash too, and most of the nice colour/spec cars were going very quickly and the dealers were giving little margin away. In fact I have seen a few up the price.

You've got a car there with DCT albeit lower spec else where and sparkling graphite is a lovely colour.

The tyres already fitted are probably cups, so are semi slick to begin with and come as new with only 5mm of tread. In the last 2.5k miles they could easily have been reduced to 3mm, as long as they are above 3mm however the BMW AUC program will not replace them automatically, and it is unlikely that they will, even if you ask, unless you are prepared to give something back on the price you have already negotiated, since a replacement set of rear tyres is somewhere in the region of 600.

The car indicated in the links above is manual so really wouldn't make a fair comparison with it - unless it was a manual you were looking for. DCT is fairly rare so make a price comparison with a DCT car with a high spec to determine just how much you are really saving.
      05-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
How much is DCT worth second hand?

Thought the OP realised pilot cups were now standard and was saying they looked worn even for 'cups'.
beemerbird is offline   England
      05-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #25
bape
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e92 m3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbe View Post
I think your price is ok given the car has DCT. I was looking at cars at dealers recently, I was paying cash too, and most of the nice colour/spec cars were going very quickly and the dealers were giving little margin away. In fact I have seen a few up the price.

You've got a car there with DCT albeit lower spec else where and sparkling graphite is a lovely colour.

The tyres already fitted are probably cups, so are semi slick to begin with and come as new with only 5mm of tread. In the last 2.5k miles they could easily have been reduced to 3mm, as long as they are above 3mm however the BMW AUC program will not replace them automatically, and it is unlikely that they will, even if you ask, unless you are prepared to give something back on the price you have already negotiated, since a replacement set of rear tyres is somewhere in the region of 600.

The car indicated in the links above is manual so really wouldn't make a fair comparison with it - unless it was a manual you were looking for. DCT is fairly rare so make a price comparison with a DCT car with a high spec to determine just how much you are really saving.
do you work for cooper croydon bmw by any chance!?!?! haha
thank you, now that you have said that i feel a little relieved at least.... I am going to inspect the tyres more thoroughly and take a handy measurement device to tell me how much tread there is left on the tyre! the car i was looking for had to have DCT, so i am very happy with that but all the responses i have been getting from this forum suggests that the price should be lower so gave me doubts!
p.s. sparkling graphite is the business!
bape is offline   United Kingdom
      05-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #26
Irnbrukid
Major

Drives: RepMobile

Nice choice of car as for the price not to sure but seems like a reasonable price with a fair enough discount you maybe could have squeezed a little more out of the deal by playing a couple of dealers against each other.

I see a few of the others a commenting about a buyers market but the tables have turned a lot in the last few months for 'used' cars, as the plentiful supply is running low and good spec cars are fetching good money with a lot of cars jumping in price the last few months in a row.

Also wouldnt say that dct's are rare they just seem to be the gbox to have as far as the trade are concerned so demand a premium, probably even more than there original value.

On the tyres not sure but i'm certain it used to be 4mm on AUC cars but i dont know what the rule would be with that type of tyre as someone stated they have 5mm to begin with.

Just to add a little bit to above look at the amount of M3's currently on the AUC site compared to the end of last year start of this year, massive difference hence the prices.
Irnbrukid is offline   Scotland
      05-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #27
squeezebm
Colonel

Drives: Audi

bape,nice choice and at the end of the day if your happy with the deal you've got then happy days,as someone has said prices have firmed up recently but will cycle as usual .Someone will always say you could of got a better deal but hey ho you got an M car feck the details
      05-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #28
Richbe
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bape View Post
do you work for cooper croydon bmw by any chance!?!?! haha

no!

But I did become slightly anal over the last few months whilst checking daily autotrader, bmw AUC, Pistonheads and Ebay as I searched for the right car. I went to see several cars and watched many come and go, including seeing their prices drop on occasion (private sales) and go up (dealer sales).

The reason it took so long to get a car was because the good ones kept selling, I didn't have the opportunity to nail the price down because someone else simply stepped in and paid the money. At their current prices, demand has definitely picked up again. I only got my car three weeks ago now and I don't think things have changed greatly.
      05-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #29
Parbox
Enlisted Member

Drives: 1M

ive been looking as well and i do not think you have done too bad - even if you have to spend some of that 2K saving on aftermarket speakers and bluetooth system (maybe something like the denison).

Most loaded DCT ones are listed for 49K.

Enjoy! I get mine soon and also need to sort out the speakers!
      05-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #30
G33
Colonel

Drives: 335i

not a main dealer but has all the options u were querying at a the price u were thinking of bargaining down to, maybe theres room for movement on the below?!...

42,495 DCT Coupe - Jerez Black (2008)

4,500 miles

Jerez Black metallic
Leather Novillo Fox Red
Seven-speed Double Clutch Transmission
Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
Elec Fold Exterior Mirrors
Armrest. front with sliding adjustment
Extended storage
Seat heating. front
High-beam Assistant
Park Distance Control (PDC)
USB interface
BMW ConnectedDrive-Assist
BMW ConnectedDrive-Online
Voice Control
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
Loudspeaker system - LOGIC7 Professional
Sun protection glass

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1039684.htm
      05-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #31
bape
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
not a main dealer but has all the options u were querying at a the price u were thinking of bargaining down to, maybe theres room for movement on the below?!...

42,495 DCT Coupe - Jerez Black (2008)

4,500 miles

Jerez Black metallic
Leather Novillo Fox Red
Seven-speed Double Clutch Transmission
Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
Elec Fold Exterior Mirrors
Armrest. front with sliding adjustment
Extended storage
Seat heating. front
High-beam Assistant
Park Distance Control (PDC)
USB interface
BMW ConnectedDrive-Assist
BMW ConnectedDrive-Online
Voice Control
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
Loudspeaker system - LOGIC7 Professional
Sun protection glass

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1039684.htm
yeah i saw that last night too, but do you not think that is far far too cheap considering the mileage and fully loaded with DCT gearbox? something doesnt seem right there.... but if it is, that is an amazing deal, considering one could prob knock off some pennys if paying cash!! unfortunately for me I really wanted to stay away from black, cos imo it hides the lines and curves too much....
haha i am really having doubts on my m3 now! not sure if joining this forum and asking if it was a good deal was a good idea!!
      05-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #32
bape
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbox View Post
ive been looking as well and i do not think you have done too bad - even if you have to spend some of that 2K saving on aftermarket speakers and bluetooth system (maybe something like the denison).

Most loaded DCT ones are listed for 49K.

Enjoy! I get mine soon and also need to sort out the speakers!
would love to know how you get on with a speaker upgrade! i am really unsure tearing apart the car for better speakers... also do you know if you can go aftermarket on electronically folding mirrors??
      05-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #33
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
haha i am really having doubts on my m3 now! not sure if joining this forum and asking if it was a good deal was a good idea!!
Don't think that please! Enough of us are old enough (ahem) and have bought enough cars new and second hand to appreciate that there are variables between areas, dealers, economic climates etc, etc, and ultimately as long as YOU are happy with the deal you got that's all that matters.

I could have 'possibly' gone to Glasgow OPC got a silver 911 turbo (black is not my first choice btw) with a couple of extra 'goodies' on it for not much more than the one I did buy, but it would have been more messing about, 'discussing' price to change against the Cayman S I was trading in and I'd already been across to Kendal to test drive another 911 Turbo. They offered to bring the car to me from Glasgow but I'm not totally stupid, I realise they'll want something for their time and it would come out of the deal so........... Put it this way, I certainly do not regret buying the one I have now.

Enjoy your M3, it's a very good car.
beemerbird is offline   England
      05-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #34
bape
Second Lieutenant

thanks beemerbird, i am still fighting it in my head! but i am sure its cos i have yet to pick it up yet i guess... but once i start driving it i think all my worries will go away haha....

anyone have any thoughts on ex demos??
      05-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #35
MIKEYBMW1
GT3

Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Quote:
thanks beemerbird, i am still fighting it in my head! but i am sure its cos i have yet to pick it up yet i guess... but once i start driving it i think all my worries will go away haha....

anyone have any thoughts on ex demos??
Yeh they've all been thrashed
MIKEYBMW1 is offline   England
      05-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #36
MIKEYBMW1
GT3

Only joking , I am thinking about leasing a brand new one fully loaded with dct etc etc 671 per month over 48 months.
      05-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #37
bape
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
Only joking , I am thinking about leasing a brand new one fully loaded with dct etc etc 671 per month over 48 months.
go for it, even though i cant tell you how good it feels yet, i think its all about the dct these days!
      05-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #38
MIKEYBMW1
GT3

Yep Would Only Ever Buy One With Dct As I Love My Current Auto Box .
      05-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #39
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Yep Would Only Ever Buy One With Dct As I Love My Current Auto Box .
........DCT just gets better by the day
M3-FAST is offline   England
      05-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #40
MIKEYBMW1
GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
........DCT just gets better by the day
yes I think its great the only reservation that I have at the moment is the interior colour , the car im looking at is Silverstone 11 but is has the matching palladium silver extended and I used to own an e46 m3 which had grey leather and was not that keen and after having my gorgeous coral red not sure if I can live with it , but apart from that the car will come direct from Bmw brand new unregistered and fully loaded so maybe I will compromise.
      05-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #41
bape
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
yes I think its great the only reservation that I have at the moment is the interior colour , the car im looking at is Silverstone 11 but is has the matching palladium silver extended and I used to own an e46 m3 which had grey leather and was not that keen and after having my gorgeous coral red not sure if I can live with it , but apart from that the car will come direct from Bmw brand new unregistered and fully loaded so maybe I will compromise.
i think the bmw leather sports seats are a bit rubbish, cos they seem to sag and go all wrinkley too quickly!
      05-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #42
MIKEYBMW1
GT3

thats true to be honest , has yours got leather mate?
      05-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #43
bape
Second Lieutenant

i thought all m3's come with leather as standard? i think they are supposed to be novillo leather or summthing but they look quite grey, would have prefered black seat!
      05-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #44
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
I know what you mean about the leather colour, especially grey leather in a similar coloured car - a bit of contrast works wonders, BUT it that is the only downside and the deal is good, go for it! You will soon get used to it and the noise of the engine will defo make up for it!!!!
M3-FAST is offline   England