E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > ***No More Rusty hubs DIY***



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
diesel007's Avatar ***No More Rusty hubs DIY***
diesel007
08-05-2006
Every two weeks I jack my car up and pull off the wheels to clean the suspension, wheels wells, and the inner wheels. I also do this to inspect the inner-wheels, inner-tires, and suspension components. The hubs on BMWs love to corrode and rust. Cosmetically it's really not a big deal because the...
  #22  
By ADHD on 10-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Doing mine today!! just thought Id add that a good cleaning of 409 works really good to if you dont have any brake cleaner left!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
By diesel007 on 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD
Doing mine today!! just thought Id add that a good cleaning of 409 works really good to if you dont have any brake cleaner left!!
Glad to see my DIY getting put to use!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
By Lucid4000 on 10-19-2006, 09:16 PM
How are they still looking??
Reply With Quote
  #25  
By AW330i on 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid4000
How are they still looking??
yeah, any updates?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
By diesel007 on 10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
I haven’t pulled the wheels off for a while because I have been lazy. I plan on doing a detail on Wednesday so I will take some pics for you guys at that point.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
By Lucid4000 on 11-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Ok great I am curoious to see the results after some usage.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
By diesel007 on 11-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Crap I was hoping no one would bump this I have been too lazy. I guess I could do it on Wednesday.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
By AW330i on 11-06-2006, 08:49 PM
hahaha, please do it I want to see how it is because I am considering doing it this weekend...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
By nmulax on 11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330i
hahaha, please do it I want to see how it is because I am considering doing it this weekend...
Do it

I followed diesel's DIY when I installed my winter wheels; then we had a warm streak a week or so later and I put my 162's back on. After a week, they looked just as good as the day I cleaned the hubs.

Should be interesting to see them come spring.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
By diesel007 on 11-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax
Do it

I followed diesel's DIY when I installed my winter wheels; then we had a warm streak a week or so later and I put my 162's back on. After a week, they looked just as good as the day I cleaned the hubs.

Should be interesting to see them come spring.
Sweet man glad it worked out for you!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
By WallyF on 11-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Advance Auto Brake Cleaner on Alloy Wheels

diesel007,

Is it safe to use Advance Auto Brake Cleaner on the BMW alloy rims to clean up the caked on brake dust??

I am going to clean up my rusty hubs as your DIY shows. The inside of my 156 rims are absolutely covered with brake dust.

Thanks

Wallyf
Reply With Quote
  #33  
By nmulax on 11-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Wally - a Mr. Clean magic eraser also works well on the tough to remove brake dust. not sure if the brake cleaner would be corrosive to the alloy wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
By diesel007 on 11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF
diesel007,

Is it safe to use Advance Auto Brake Cleaner on the BMW alloy rims to clean up the caked on brake dust??

I am going to clean up my rusty hubs as your DIY shows. The inside of my 156 rims are absolutely covered with brake dust.

Thanks

Wallyf
Well since the wheels are painted and have a layer of clearcoat I would not use such a harsh cleaner on them. I have heard that Simple Green works pretty good to remove stubborn brake dust but use it sparingly and not often.

After cleaning I put a very strong sealant coating on my wheels. This will help prevent the brake dust from adhering to the wheels. I barley use any soap on my wheels
Reply With Quote
  #35  
By molp on 02-20-2007, 03:45 PM
If I understood well, u take off the wheels. Clean the hubs and put some anti-rust thingy on it and put ur wheels back?

Why don't u paint them with some good paint? Like the one u can use for the brakes themselfes, heat-resistant. Then u're pretty sure it stays good for quite a while.
If u liked u could even give your wheels a nice look by painting the hubs in a color like black or gold.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
By szeleung on 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Did you say gold? I'm sorry, but that would be a sight!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
By doba_s on 11-19-2007, 03:06 AM
nice job ...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
By ctgazer on 11-25-2007, 12:43 AM
ummm for pics of rusty hub? haha
Reply With Quote
  #39  
By trick50 on 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel007 View Post
Every two weeks I jack my car up and pull off the wheels to clean the suspension, wheels wells, and the inner wheels. I also do this to inspect the inner-wheels, inner-tires, and suspension components. The hubs on BMWs love to corrode and rust. Cosmetically it's really not a big deal because the wheel covers the rust but the hub-centric ring builds rust and makes it difficult to remove the wheels. Once the wheels are off the hubs look horrible as you can see in this pic.

As you can see the inner hub is the worst. I could not deal with this any more so I decided to fix it. I went to AutoZone and spent $13.00 on some sand paper, anti-seize, and brake cleaner.



With the brake cleaner and some WD40 I found in my tool kit I started to tackle the rust. You could use a wire brush in place of the sand paper.

1.Sand the rusted areas until you are down to smooth metal.
2.Apply the anti-seize with the brush included. You only have to apply anti-seize to the areas that were rusted but I did the entire face of the hub.
3.Wipe the excess with a towel.
…and you are done!

Here is the result:
Rear hub (After)

Front Hub (After)


Nothing too fancy but it looks a million times better then the rusted ones and you wont have hell every time you remove the wheels. BTW this only took me about a hour with one jack.
Great DIY..I have been thinking of doing this for a while now...especially lately because I recently changed wheels and the brakes show even more now, nad it really bothers me...I just have a few questions...will the antiseize or brake clean products that you used prevent this from happening again? if not is there any type of product that we can use to prevent the rust from coming bacl?

My next question is do you track your car like on a weekly basis?? why do you take your wheels off every 2 weeks to clean and check your suspension?? Do you really drive your car that hard that this is necessary? I have only taken my wheels off twice to do this and I have had it over a year and I thought that was more than enough..

Or do you do it every 2 weeks just to have a reason to go out to the garage and get away from the wife...if thats the case I can empathize, I wash my car every night at 10pm. lolz
Reply With Quote
  #40  
By matt_335Ci on 03-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 87%
is it safe to use WD-40 on wheel hubs so close to the rotors/brakes??
Reply With Quote
  #41  
By Cool Car Dave on 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Ya here in Germany the salt tore up my car in the winter. I didnt have any problems during the winter. I did the same thing but spent about two hours and they didnt look nearly as good, but I am about to do it again. I plan to paint my calibers (because they look like shit at the moment) and I am going to paint the hubs as well.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
By F104 on 04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I should have done this a year ago. when i bought the car. I've got the 193M rims and you can see the outsides of the hubs are rusted, looks terrible..
Reply With Quote
  #43  
By pittyinSC on 08-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Did this, good DIY, but the rust came back quick.
Everyone should just paint it while they are at it.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tags
rusty hubs, rusty hubs fix

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST