E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > is it September yet ?

08-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #67
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw
That's why I have it - after all, I don't even pay for my petrol so can't claim its for the fuel consumption!
The diesel is definitely the faster car on the road.

The petrol will move comfortably ahead on a track, but on a road it would be very hard to keep in the powerband - i.e. above 4000 rpm.

The diesels powerband is from 1750-4000 rpm - which is where the car spends almost all of it's time.

The diesel is less engaging though - because it's so good - you just don't need to be in the right gear to get a push in the back - especially in the auto.

It was a toss up for me between the 330i and the 330d and in the end I wanted something different and max fun. I'll let you know in a few weeks if I think I made the right decision. At the moment I'm not entirely sure.
      08-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #68
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
The diesel is definitely the faster car on the road.

The petrol will move comfortably ahead on a track, but on a road it would be very hard to keep in the powerband - i.e. above 4000 rpm.

The diesels powerband is from 1750-4000 rpm - which is where the car spends almost all of it's time.

The diesel is less engaging though - because it's so good - you just don't need to be in the right gear to get a push in the back - especially in the auto.

It was a toss up for me between the 330i and the 330d and in the end I wanted something different and max fun. I'll let you know in a few weeks if I think I made the right decision. At the moment I'm not entirely sure.

No no no ... you "did" make the right decision !

and probably for the same reasons as me.

I am a petrol head through and through and no diesel is gonna be as silky smooth as a Bimmer straight six petrol ... or have the sound track accompaniment.

I do like to hit the gas from the lights too, when you have some guy pull up next to you, so the extra speed Zero to 60 is handy.

I also agree that being able to max it up to 7,000 rpm is also a great bonus ... see also sound track note

MPG means nothing to me as only cover 10,000 miles per year.

The diesel is is stunning car don't get me wrong, but the petrol pup is for me ... all the way .. but the diesel will be others, because of their needs / priorities.

No chug chug rattle rattle in the morning or from set off either ... he he he

So I will just race a 330 d from the lights, not on the move

Snake Pliskin is offline   United Kingdom
      08-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #69
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
No no no ... you "did" make the right decision !

and probably for the same reasons as me.

I am a petrol head through and through and no diesel is gonna be as silky smooth as a Bimmer straight six petrol ... or have the sound track accompaniment.

I do like to hit the gas from the lights too, when you have some guy pull up next to you, so the extra speed Zero to 60 is handy.

I also agree that being able to max it up to 7,000 rpm is also a great bonus ... see also sound track note

MPG means nothing to me as only cover 10,000 miles per year.

The diesel is is stunning car don't get me wrong, but the petrol pup is for me ... all the way .. but the diesel will be others, because of their needs / priorities.

No chug chug rattle rattle in the morning or from set off either ... he he he

So I will just race a 330 d from the lights, not on the move

Oh yeah - that was it ... the fuel costs aren't a big issue for me because my company pay for it (even though it's my car) as part of the opt out scheme.

Its a taxable benefit and in the end what I will pay tax on my private fuel.

But in effect the process means my personal fuel costs are subsidised by 60%.

I've had a 323 coupe (2.5 litre straight six) and a 2.5 litre V6 Vauxhall Vectra GSI. The 530d is my first 3.0 litre car and ... well I have to have a 3.0 litre petrol straight six at some point in my life don't I ?

Incidentally, I didn't want to wait for the 335i because:

1. The 330i is car enough for me.
2. The extra speed would be nice, but the roads are 2 busy here to enjoy it that often.
3. I am a bit worried about reliability in respect of the turbos.
4. When I decide to get a new car - I don't want to wait

How bout you ?
      08-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #70
isleaiw
Private

Drives: 330d SE, silver with black lea

Have to say guys that I'd love to be able to have the straight six petrol - my neighbour has a Boxster, and previously a Z4 and 325i Sport and the sound they make have always impressed.

But, even though I don't pay my fuel bill, the company has to and I drive 30k plus a year so its only fair. And of course, the emissions on the petrol are higher so my tax would be - and as an accountant I hate paying taxes!

And I guess I'm getting old and with the diesel I can cope with a manual but I'm probably too lazy to go for petrol and manual nowadays!

Ian
      08-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #71
ES-Jet
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 320d ES

The 330i is definitely the right choice.
If I was running the car myself and didn't cover 70 miles a day (and had the funds), I would love a 330i. The sound of the engine is pure pleasure in itself.

(To be honest - Ilove my 320d, but I am a bit envious of you guys waiting for your 330i's)
ES-Jet is offline   United Kingdom
      08-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #72
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw
Have to say guys that I'd love to be able to have the straight six petrol - my neighbour has a Boxster, and previously a Z4 and 325i Sport and the sound they make have always impressed.

But, even though I don't pay my fuel bill, the company has to and I drive 30k plus a year so its only fair. And of course, the emissions on the petrol are higher so my tax would be - and as an accountant I hate paying taxes!

And I guess I'm getting old and with the diesel I can cope with a manual but I'm probably too lazy to go for petrol and manual nowadays!

Ian
Diesel is the only choice for company cars .... the 320d especially is an INCREDIBLY good choice for the company car driver. That's why there are so many on the road.
      08-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #73
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES-Jet
The 330i is definitely the right choice.
If I was running the car myself and didn't cover 70 miles a day (and had the funds), I would love a 330i. The sound of the engine is pure pleasure in itself.

(To be honest - Ilove my 320d, but I am a bit envious of you guys waiting for your 330i's)
330i will be nice, but the 320d is a very fine car.

To be honest - past a certain point the 'law of diminishing returns' applies when it comes to cars - my 530d has illlustrated that to me very clearly. I expected it to be amazing in comparison to my e46 320cd, but although it's very very good, it isn't THAT much better than the coupe.

The 320d does at least 9/10th's of what the 330i can do and is MUCH better value ..... you can't really justify the 330i on a practical level ... it's a heart ruling the head sort of decision
      08-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #74
isleaiw
Private

I really should have hed the 320d for tax reasons - the 330d costs me about 90 a month more in tax than an equiv 320d would. However, I decided that I'd treat myself to the 6 cylinders and extra grunt given that the new job brought with it a pay rise!

So far, I think its worth it!
      08-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #75
vivekk
THE Viv

Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
...The 320d does at least 9/10th's of what the 330i can do and is MUCH better value ..... you can't really justify the 330i on a practical level ... it's a heart ruling the head sort of decision
You are certainly right there nfs.

Just wait for the first time you take your baby over 4000rpm in any gear you like- you just won't be bothered about the 'should it have been a diesel?' question after that!

After break-in, wait till you take her to 5, 6 & 7000rpm in 3rd- you just won't give a toss about that 'silly' question ever again!

All the best & good luck with your last few weeks of the wait- it IS worth it.

Viv

vivekk is offline   England
      08-17-2006, 03:48 AM   #76
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
You are certainly right there nfs.

Just wait for the first time you take your baby over 4000rpm in any gear you like- you just won't be bothered about the 'should it have been a diesel?' question after that!

After break-in, wait till you take her to 5, 6 & 7000rpm in 3rd- you just won't give a toss about that 'silly' question ever again!

All the best & good luck with your last few weeks of the wait- it IS worth it.

Viv
14 days, 23 hours 58 mins and 3 secs to go.
      08-17-2006, 05:37 AM   #77
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

All great comments there guys

Yeah, I also "opted" out the company car scheme for the cash ... so another reason to get the 330i petrol.

The emissions etc do not apply to me.

If i was being taxed on the pup, then yeah the "D" would be the way forward .. but it is straight six petrol for me

Had an update yesterday and still looking at 2nd week Sept, with a poss' of 1st week.

God I hope its the 1st week, the waiting is driving me mad.
      08-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #78
NFS
Major General

Just dropped into the dealer (all casual) to give them a copy of my cover note so they can tax the 330i.

It wasn't there so I couldn't get a sneak preview.

The reason that it wasn't there is that they have already PDI'd it and fitted the tracker I asked for. So it's now sitting waiting in their 'secret storage facility'.

Collection on 1st Sept 10:00am is now officially confirmed

I'm kind of glad it wasn't there because I would have wanted to drive it home.

14 days 18hours 27 mins and 35 secs to go
      08-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #79
isleaiw
Private

its when you see it that the excitement really starts!
      08-17-2006, 10:57 AM   #80
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

Yeah I would ask to be taken to their "secret storage facility" and have a sneak peak.

Or maybe .. they've sent it to my dealers and I'm gonna get your car on the 1st Sept and you can have mine the following week.

I don't mind that

But yeah, as soon as i get the call that the dealer has a new car of mine, I am down there like a shot for a preveiew.

Usually, the cars are all covered over with white sheets on the vulnerable areas for transit and the inside has clear sheets over the seats and pedals etc.

Roll on Sept and we are let loose in our 330i's
      08-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #81
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Yeah I would ask to be taken to their "secret storage facility" and have a sneak peak.

Or maybe .. they've sent it to my dealers and I'm gonna get your car on the 1st Sept and you can have mine the following week.

I don't mind that

But yeah, as soon as i get the call that the dealer has a new car of mine, I am down there like a shot for a preveiew.

Usually, the cars are all covered over with white sheets on the vulnerable areas for transit and the inside has clear sheets over the seats and pedals etc.

Roll on Sept and we are let loose in our 330i's
You can't have it - you have to wait for your own ....

They did offer to have it brought to the dealer for me to look at (they are being extremely efficient BTW - after making me work to get a good deal though), but I said no - it's a bit like when you are a kid and trying to sneak down and look for your christmas presents - I'd rather wait till it's time.
      08-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #82
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

Smile

I guess I'll have to wait then !

Come on dealer where's my car ?

Just think NFS 2 weeks today ... infact 2 weeks from NOW ... you HAVE your pup

You'll be cruzin' round in her exactly 2 weeks from now after your 10am pick up ... nice one
      08-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #83
NFS
Major General

Quote:
I guess I'll have to wait then !

Come on dealer where's my car ?

Just think NFS 2 weeks today ... infact 2 weeks from NOW ... you HAVE your pup

You'll be cruzin' round in her exactly 2 weeks from now after your 10am pick up ... nice one
Only 13 days 18 hours 57 mins and 10 secs left in fact.

And whats more about 8 of those hours will be spent driving fast cars around a racetrack at scary speeds with palmersport
      08-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #84
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

Quote:
Only 13 days 18 hours 57 mins and 10 secs left in fact.

And whats more about 8 of those hours will be spent driving fast cars around a racetrack at scary speeds with palmersport

Cool .. you back there are you.

Fantastic !

Give those Clio's and Palmer Jags some serious "thrash"
      08-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #85
timking85
Chief

Drives: F10 525d SE

Garage List
Quote:
Sparkling Graphite is a great colour and a bit of fabreze should sort out any trace of smoking odour.

21 days 17 hours 29 mins and 13 secs to go .......
Let me have a chassis number and i check where it is??
timking85 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #86
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by timking85
Let me have a chassis number and i check where it is??
I don't have the chassis no - just the reg ..... All I know is it's in a Sytner owned warehouse somewhere nearby having been PDI'd by the dealer.
      08-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #87
timking85
Chief

Drives: F10 525d SE

Garage List
If you send me a private message if you don't want to share the reg i will check up on it as i work for BMW.
timking85 is offline   United Kingdom
      08-21-2006, 09:47 AM   #88
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

I don't have a reg yet or chassis number

Just 2nd week Sept for delivery