E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
By 18LLC on 09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
?
if you get the fix it ticket, you can always go to local police department and ask the police officer you know to sign the ticket for you, so you don't have to pay for it (or $10, i forgot), and you don't have to fix it. The rear fog won't blind people, but can scare people who follow you to close, because they think you are steping on the brake. I tried that 3 times last night. and been follow by sfpd for a mile, no ticket. hahaaa
By ShinyRedCar on 09-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the tip xq...I'll probably go with the 92 since JD says that's what his catalog calls for. I did a quick search of all of the posts here and from what I gathered, it looks like most have the xenons and went with the 96.

BTW...could you be more specific about what the dial on the left does? You say it does not function but is there a way we can get it to? You're right...it does look cool!

Thansk again!
By xq_zhu on 09-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGervasi
BTW...could you be more specific about what the dial on the left does? You say it does not function but is there a way we can get it to? You're right...it does look cool!
In europe this dial is used to adjust the dip of hallogen low beam, i.e. how far the light can reach. It's quite convenient (and fun) to raise the low beam when out of town and lower it in town.

I don't think US hallogen has this motor contraption though, and I am pretty sure retrofitting will require Euro headlight assembly.

Anyone would like to try?
Last edited by xq_zhu; 09-18-2006 at 08:55 AM.
By poldim on 09-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xq_zhu
That depends...if you have HID then definitely 96. Even if you have US Hallogen, you can still use 96. But if you ordered 92 like I did, you are in for a pleasant surprise

Although the beam height control is not functional, IMO it still looks better than the cancel.

I want to order this but need to fix my HID Fogs that I started fooling with 6 months ago.

JD you appear to be the man and I will be placing my order sometime soonish...

On a side note, has anyone seen their auto leveling xenons level while on the road? They always do it when the car starts, but never on the road. When I drove a Cayenne, it does it very obviously all the time (ie when you accelerate, the back end dips and the lights also react by point down more). Anyone know if you can integrate the Halogen control to the xenons?
By oneshare325 on 09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I got mine today! I might not get a chance to install it untill friday though! I guess it is because it is not in the housing or something, but the "click" on the new one is much tighter!!
Attached Images

By golfpro on 09-20-2006, 11:25 PM
oneshare, intall it ASAP, it seriously takes 5 minutes if that......you;ll be much happier once u do
By Chesmu on 09-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
oneshare, intall it ASAP, it seriously takes 5 minutes if that......you;ll be much happier once u do
it's amazing how many of us derived pleasure from such a simple mod...
By magamaga on 09-21-2006, 01:24 AM
I just placed an order for this mod. Great suggestion.
By SoYank on 09-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu
it's amazing how many of us derived pleasure from such a simple mod...
Does that include the cop that gave the ticket?
By uno on 09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if switch (92) would work with my e90 with xenon headlight
option to turn on the rear foglights.
Thanks you guys for help.
By sablemagus on 09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I got my switch a couple days ago. Thanks, JD! Now I just need to wait until I have a car to put it into! lol Should be in next week. I'll post pictures. :-)
By TTG on 10-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Hi All..... I just read the whole 10 pages of the thred and this is awsome information. However, does anyone know if the switches are identical on the E92? Has any one install this on a coupe yet? If someone can confirm this I will order this part right away! I loved the rear fog lights on my Volvo and definately want it on the E92.....Heck the car is not even here yet & I am already moding

Thanks in advance.....
By EvanL on 10-04-2006, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG
Hi All..... I just read the whole 10 pages of the thred and this is awsome information. However, does anyone know if the switches are identical on the E92? Has any one install this on a coupe yet? If someone can confirm this I will order this part right away! I loved the rear fog lights on my Volvo and definately want it on the E92.....Heck the car is not even here yet & I am already moding

Thanks in advance.....
Did it on mine...worked like a charm.

-Evan
By darkcloud on 10-04-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm getting my switch in a couple days (thanks JD) and the install says to use a flat object for prying. What did you guys use? I'm thinking something like a butter knife or even the serving butter knife? I can't think of any common tool that isn't sharp and wont damage the dash.

Edit: How long did it take you too? It doesn't seem like it should take longer than 10-15mins but that can be decieving...
By toughluck on 10-04-2006, 08:25 AM
I go mountain biking and had some bicycle tire irons (is that what it is called?) laying around in the garage. I found the tire irons to be much better than a butter knife i.m.o. The bicycle tire irons were plastic and came in a set of 3.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/images/...e/beadhook.jpg
By TTG on 10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanL
Did it on mine...worked like a charm.

-Evan
Thank You Sir..... ordering the part now
By darkcloud on 10-05-2006, 11:41 AM
By far one of the easiest install's ever! I don't know what I was so worried about? Took me 15 min. tops to take the switch out and put the new one in.
By poldim on 10-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Is anyone running the halogen switch on the xenons?
By bavarian19 on 10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
This thing works like a charm...

Its best use is actually backing into a space at night. Turn them on and it lights up the parking space so you can see better behind you...

I have yet to use the rear fogs in a fog situation, but use the rear fogs all the time backing into spaces... Awesome mod...
By StewtheBassman on 10-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosport70
They probably got of couple of guys working on a improved design already!
Not bloody likely, remember the window regulators on the E46???

I had rear fogs on my two Saabs. They really are great in the fog, and also when some dickhead is tailgating you ya flick them on and watch him slow down:

The Original poster should get royalties on all the switches that are sold from his thread.
By poldim on 10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
Is anyone running the halogen switch on the xenons?
I want to order tonight....
By darkcloud on 10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
^^ I don't really think there is a difference. Just put you VIN in when ordering the part and if it's wrong JD will correct it. That is if you order from Crown which is by far the cheapist. Or call him before ordering and you'll know right away.
Comment