E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
By obLu on 11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Guess how many times I've used my rear fogs so far .... even in the pouring rain where the visibility was close to zero.

Nada.

I keep forgetting there there. Same with my Audis, always forgot I had rear fogs until I got pissed at some Volvo owner that was driving with theirs on in the middle of summer.

I did a track day with a buddy the other weekend, just a tiny bit of fog, but still about a 1/4 visibility. Idiot VW owner had his rear fog on.
By Chesmu on 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
i use 'em to back out of the driveway at nite.
By TTG on 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
I keep forgetting there there. Same with my Audis, always forgot I had rear fogs until I got pissed at some Volvo owner that was driving with theirs on in the middle of summer.
Was it this Volvo by any chance? Most Volvo owners "forget" their rear fogs on because unlike BMW's, once the switch is on...it stays on..... This is on the older ones....New ones reset like BMW's....

Rear fogs really increase visibility on rainy, stormy weather we have in WA. But I am with you.... I love using my rear fogs to blind someone who has thiers on in the middle of summer :-)

By just4kickz on 11-17-2006, 01:27 PM
there was like 100 ft visibility today... haha fun times.
By poldim on 11-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I use them when people tailgate...or if its foggy.
By lenvage on 11-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
I use them when people tailgate...or if its foggy.
Do people ever back off from tailgating you when you turn your rear fogs on? The only thing that really pisses me off when i'm driving is tailgaiters.
By ase2dais on 11-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenvage
Do people ever back off from tailgating you when you turn your rear fogs on? The only thing that really pisses me off when i'm driving is tailgaiters.
the proper way to handle that and get them off your tail is NOT to ignore it but to go a little slower to make the get around ahead of you.

More slower if they dont, it always work.

Dont ever speed ahead, for you risk getting a ticket, and him getting off the hook
By d3l0n on 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM
(i did searches through this thread before posting this question)

How much does it cost? where can i get this?
By StewtheBassman on 11-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Quote:
A most definitive, YES!!! It is very funny, watching how they back off just 'cause I pushed a little button!
By KaBoom on 11-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l0n

go read each page of this thread.
By toughluck on 11-18-2006, 03:53 PM
I used my rear fogs lights 3 times so far, only on tailgaters. They work great. 2 out of the 3 times, the tailgaters backed off and did not approach any closer. Love 'em.
By poldim on 11-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Quote:
It works since most people here dont have a clue that there are such things that make the rear red lights turn on that arent brakes.
By d3l0n on 11-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom
go read each page of this thread.
i didnt want to do that... :/ errr... fineeeeeeeeee! sorry for the trouble though.. and waste of thread..
By Chesmu on 11-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3l0n

crown auto parts...cheap...I don't remember the exact price. Check the very first post on the thread...it has all the details.
By mikki on 11-18-2006, 10:45 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!! I just attempted to install the switch. everything seem to go fine, but now i'm having problems. The switch does seem to work. the headlights come on onc i start the car. I can't turn them off. I even tried to put back the original switch, but now that doesn't work.

Thanks
By Chesmu on 11-18-2006, 10:48 PM
does the swith turn? Or is the dial stuck? Are you sure you don't have DTR on? Your headlights will then remain on.
By mikki on 11-18-2006, 10:49 PM
the switch turns. and nothing happens when i turn the switch.
By Chesmu on 11-18-2006, 10:52 PM
did you remember to connect the cord in the back?
By mikki on 11-18-2006, 10:54 PM
yes. i was testing it b4 i put everthing back. could i have damaged the harnass or something?
By Chesmu on 11-18-2006, 10:58 PM
don't know. Put the stock switch back in and take it to the dealer. BMW electrical systems are notoriously complex/difficult to work with.
By antidentite on 11-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I'm definitely getting this for my soon-to-arrive e92.

I'm going to order part # 61 31 6 932 796 from Crown... actually, this would make a good Xmas present to me!
By poldim on 11-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki
HELP!!!!!!!!!! I just attempted to install the switch. everything seem to go fine, but now i'm having problems. The switch does seem to work. the headlights come on onc i start the car. I can't turn them off. I even tried to put back the original switch, but now that doesn't work.

Thanks
I was surprised to find that the switch isnt a physical switch as it is in most cars. It sends a digital signal to the lights modual which then does the switching. So when you turn the lights on with a switch, and then disconnect the harness, the modual hasnt received another signal, keeping the lights on.
Comment