E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
  #264  
By d3l0n on 12-01-2006, 03:17 AM
finally got mine installed and i am loving it... I feel sorry for those drivers behind me lol cuz that light hurts my eyes....
Reply With Quote
  #265  
By d3l0n on 12-01-2006, 03:19 AM
out of curiousity... sort of off topic but, how does it look on the 7series , 5 series, and 3 series coupe.. anyone have pics??
Reply With Quote
  #266  
By mikki on 12-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Dealer put in new swicth and it works again. Not sure if i should try the rear foglight switch again. whatcha guys think?

Reply With Quote
  #267  
By longtran on 12-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki
Dealer put in new swicth and it works again. Not sure if i should try the rear foglight switch again. whatcha guys think?

try it again.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
By mikki on 12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
I saw a fellow e90post members car @ peter pan bmw yesterday. Black 3er with bbs rims. Looked Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #269  
By ramm on 12-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Does "92" switch work with xenons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
Just installed mine earlier today. Took about 10/15 min. I hand more trouble popping in the jack mount piece than I did this thing.

Quality of the parts is great, can deffinetly tell that BMW > *.


Hi poldim -- Can you please confirm that the switch you installed is the "92" switch with the extra knob on it, and that it works OK with your xenon headlights? Like you, I would like to order this switch so I can admire the extra controls on it... (and make my car even more Euro-like, since I already swapped my tail light covers with the Euro-style, non-blackline, amber-glowing turn signals...)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #270  
By bavarian19 on 12-03-2006, 09:09 AM
does this switch work on the E92? Im planning on ordering an E92, and would like to transfer the switch from my E90 to it...
Reply With Quote
  #271  
By jimbimmer on 12-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Not only is this a fantastic safety feature in fog/poor visibility it has the added benefit of keeping tailgaters off your back (i briefly turn it on until they're at a safe distance, everyone knows BMWs have cool gadgets, I'm pretty sure these tailgaters think it's an automatic feature). This is certainly the easiest modification I have done to my bimmers.

I recently drove from Boston to DC and hit some seriously thick fog. The Audis and Volvos (with rear fogs) and my E90 were clearly visible while other cars/trucks could only be seen from just a few feet away. Thanks for making this DIY available I would have never thought of it otherwise. Cheers!

BMWNA should make it available as a standard feature in the US (it's standard everywhere else right?). We all have to sit through the sales skit when we buy our bimmers so why can't they just add proper rear foglight use to their delivery routine?
Reply With Quote
  #272  
By SoYank on 12-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbimmer
BMWNA should make it available as a standard feature in the US (it's standard everywhere else right?). We all have to sit through the sales skit when we buy our bimmers so why can't they just add proper rear foglight use to their delivery routine?
For alot of people what they hear from the salesman when they take delivery of a new car goes in one ear and out the other 'cause there's nothing in between to stop it.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
By poldim on 12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Yes. The switch has the knob which just looks cool but does absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm


Hi poldim -- Can you please confirm that the switch you installed is the "92" switch with the extra knob on it, and that it works OK with your xenon headlights? Like you, I would like to order this switch so I can admire the extra controls on it... (and make my car even more Euro-like, since I already swapped my tail light covers with the Euro-style, non-blackline, amber-glowing turn signals...)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #274  
By douger on 01-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks

Thanks for this post brianlay -- I did this mod the first day I picked up my car. My sales guy is pretty cool and was interested in why I was picking up the switch on the day he delivered my car. I showed him the lights when I went back the next day to drop off extra keys for my trade -- he was amazed.

This was an excellent write-up

Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #275  
By TTG on 01-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douger
Thanks for this post brianlay -- I did this mod the first day I picked up my car. My sales guy is pretty cool and was interested in why I was picking up the switch on the day he delivered my car. I showed him the lights when I went back the next day to drop off extra keys for my trade -- he was amazed.

This was an excellent write-up

Thanks again
Same over here..... I think my car had the US spec switch on for about 10 min before I installed the new one..... Here is a pic at Golden Gardens (for Seattle people) with the rear fogs on..... Even from a side angle they look great IMO.

Reply With Quote
  #276  
By mhaw2001 on 01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Does this switch work (796) with Halogen headlights? I don't have Xenons but I have the module. If it doesn't work I have an extra unit for sale!
Reply With Quote
  #277  
By mhaw2001 on 01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I took a gamble and installed the 796 switch in a Canadian 323i without Xenons or FRONT fogs! Works perfectly! Now I need to get the front fogs I bought wired up!
Reply With Quote
  #278  
By bavarian19 on 01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG
Same over here..... I think my car had the US spec switch on for about 10 min before I installed the new one..... Here is a pic at Golden Gardens (for Seattle people) with the rear fogs on..... Even from a side angle they look great IMO.


Looks good!!! Glad I kept my switch from my E90. Its on my mod stockpile to go on my E92 along with my msport interior bits and ipod adaptor... Man I cant wait for my E92
Reply With Quote
  #279  
By d3l0n on 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
looks good, but what about a bit darker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG
Same over here..... I think my car had the US spec switch on for about 10 min before I installed the new one..... Here is a pic at Golden Gardens (for Seattle people) with the rear fogs on..... Even from a side angle they look great IMO.

Reply With Quote
  #280  
By ironic on 01-13-2007, 05:05 AM
definitely getting this done for the tailgaters
Reply With Quote
  #281  
By poldim on 01-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Really nice for extra light while backing up...
Reply With Quote
  #282  
By steveww48 on 01-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Arrow Releasing the gray clip

Just finished this DIY. Ordered the part from Crown BMW and got great service-- ordered online in the morning and the part shipped the same day. Thanks, JD!

Like some people, I was having trouble getting the gray clip to release (this clip keeps the plug locked into the switch). Others have described the process as "rotating the clip" but I couldn't get the clip to rotate at all until I saw that the top of the plug has a slightly ridged area on the top, and the clip is in front of those ridges: press the ridges to release the clip, then rotate the clip. As you rotate the clip the plug will start to come out of the switch socket. I thought I had rotated the clip as far as it would go but the plug did not come out completely until I pushed on the clip with a bit of extra force-- there was a bit of a snap and the plug was out.

Everything went back together smoothly and the new switch works great. Thanks to the original poster and to everyone else who posted their suggestions and tips.
Reply With Quote
  #283  
By bavarian19 on 01-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
Really nice for extra light while backing up...
Thats what I used mine mostly for. Since I have the tendency to back into spots, it helps to illuminate what you are backing into. Ive used it twice with tailgaters at night, and they have immediately backed off.


... and of course, a handful of times through fog, and have been impressed... One of the better mods you can do...
Reply With Quote
  #284  
By Shinchan on 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
LOL.. how funny.. i got my installed too this weekend... damn air vent was a bxtch to remove... but i had no trouble remove plug..
Reply With Quote
  #285  
By bavarian19 on 01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
anyone want to take a good picture of the coupe with rear fogs at night?
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST