E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
By ejazbmw on 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
acutally yeah its kinda sad this is about a 10min mod the most and took me a good hour and a half to do it was pretty hard taking his wood trim off i had to get really aggressive with it and finally it it gave in and came off and then the stupid needles wouldnt line up so i had to play with it for like 20mins and finally got them to line up properly......anyway thanks guys for your advice on stuff atleast he was happy when i was done...
By fizzle on 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
nice! your a good man for helping him out.

just ordered from Crown $63.68 shipped; not too bad. Motown wanted $63 just for the part, which would come out to $74 shipped, so a savings of $10. i will be using a flat headed screwdriver with a towel wrapped around.

edit 6/19: just installed on my lunch break. the easiest mod next to the valve mod. looks good during the day. cant wait to see at night! tonight, ill be installing k&n filter! woohooo
Last edited by fizzle; 06-19-2007 at 01:13 PM.
By rds95991 on 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Ordered the part from Crown on the 9th and got it today. JD sent a couple of emails to keep me informed.

Did it in twenty mins with a Starbucks card. The silly grey lever messed me up. I couldn't get the connector on the pin far enough before the lever locked, but finally figured it out.

Great DIY and great forum.
By urnone on 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHDEN View Post
nice mod...any one in the Miami area thinking of doing this mod?
Yes I am... I have the part now im just waiting for the car... Did you do the mod?
By rds95991 on 06-21-2007, 02:05 AM
I just noticed that the inner front lights do not come on after the installation of the rear fog light switch. When should they come on? I never bothered to check before I changed the switch. Are they just for use as driving driving lights?

Should the rear fog lights only work when the headlights are on?

I have the xenon adaptive lights if that helps.

Thank you.
Last edited by rds95991; 06-24-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Additional question after installation
By rmorin49 on 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Installed my switch this afternoon in about 15 minutes. Works like a charm, thanks brianlay! Anyone need a US switch, cheap?
By fizzle on 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
yes it is soo easy! i did it in 5 min. the hardest part was the removal of the trim because my right index finger is jammed from playing drunken football this weekend.
By krafty04 on 07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Ditto on Crown being fast and cheap (and shipping to an APO, thanks JD) and 10 minute swap. Funny thing is I need it to pass "initial" inspection while stationed in Portugal.

Crazy, huh? 2007 car requires $40 inspection with working rear fog light. Even crazier? I bought a $40k german car that did not come with it.
By SoYank on 07-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty04 View Post
Ditto on Crown being fast and cheap (and shipping to an APO, thanks JD) and 10 minute swap. Funny thing is I need it to pass "initial" inspection while stationed in Portugal.

Crazy, huh? 2007 car requires $40 inspection with working rear fog light. Even crazier? I bought a $40k german car that did not come with it.
I think you'll find that that inspection is actually a Single Vehicle Acceptance inspection to ensure that the imported car meets Portugese roadworthiness laws. The car is probably of US spec, right? Don't you have to have amber turn signals in the back, too? If the inspector wanted to be strict about it, he probably could complain about your tires not meeting EU standards and require you to replace all four. Or, your insurance could deny coverage in the event of an accident; you might have USAA in which case I doubt it.

That's another thing you should keep in mind while you're overseas. Should you have to replace a tire, if it isn't US DOT approved you can't bring it with the car when you PCS back; you can but you can't legally drive on it in the US.

My SVA cost $2545 because I had to change all four corners plus get the rear fog light. Sad part is, I can't sell my European Adaptive Xenons to just anyone 'cause they shine the wrong way.
By Booboo12 on 07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks to this thread and JD for quick shipment of the fog light switch: took me 30 minutes, but I'll make up for my slow installation time on the highway later
By hl0m4n on 07-12-2007, 12:24 PM
will this work on a e92 335i?
By HyperM3 on 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
will this work on a e92 335i?
Giving you the benefit of the doubt for not wanting to read all the previous pages. Yes, it will work.
By hl0m4n on 07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Giving you the benefit of the doubt for not wanting to read all the previous pages. Yes, it will work.
thanks and your right i was feelin a bit lazy today same part #?
By trick50 on 07-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
thanks and your right i was feelin a bit lazy today same part #?
Yes same part number. There are two different switches both will work...I believe one ends in 793 the other is 796. I think it is the 796 switch that has the extra slide wheel on the right that in europe would adjust the height of the head lights.

I got the 796 switch just because I did not want the switch to have any space in it. The 793 switch will be blank on the side where the slide wheel is.

Although the slide wheel doesn't do anything I still like to look at it lol.
By urnone on 07-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Today was delivery day and I installed my euroswitch ASAP! Very easy mod to do!!!

By Franciebaby on 07-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
So this is only available if you have xenons?
By fizzle on 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
no doesnt matter if you have xenons. its the rear fogs so this has nothing to do with the front headlights.
By nik-328xi on 07-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Ordered the switch from JD at crown https://secure.webmakerx.net/Default....crownauto.com - highly recomended I also ordered the exhaust tips and had them all within 5 days.

Just did the install took less then 10 minutes only needed to use a card to pry the trim piece away. Only issue was getting the new switchs four clips to all seat properly the last one took a bit more force than I liked.

Overall very quick and painless. Like the look of the rear fogs and they will come in handy around here during our winter whiteouts and periods of heavy fog.

Nik
By Jimbert on 07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I haven't read all the posts here to see if someone else already did it this way, but I did the mod a little different than the original pictures show. I saw no reason to take off the wood trim piece above the headlight switch trim panel. I removed only the trim panel that the switch is mounted in (picture 3). I used a putty knife to pry the panel off. I did the whole thing in about 15 minutes, with no damage to anything.
By trick50 on 07-27-2007, 01:48 AM
By EHDEN on 07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
great DIY! ... just put mine up!
By LittleBlue on 08-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Addicted!

Ok, man you are good on finding things, I saw your thread about the rear fog lights and called the dealer and ordered a swtich along with the mud flaps, this site is additcting, thanks a lot man, love the rear fog lights, comes very helpfull in snowy or foggy times.

Hey one more thing, I heard that the Comfort access is simple to activate even it the option is not somehting you bought, the technology is built in and either a fuse or something needs to activate that, any ideas????

If you notice, after shutting off your car, you ca remove your fob and still be able to start your car, it's when you open the door is when the car won't start anymore, so half of the functionality is there maybe? or just wishfull thinking and there is more to it? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again, as I am new to this and addicted!
Comment