E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #551
vwong
Lieutenant
vwong's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: All Euro
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
For those with 09's it looks like this is the part number. Got it from Circle BMW although I don't have the part yet.

Part Number/Description
61 31 9 169 410 :Control elem

List $128.25
Sale $109.01
410 is the U.S. switch, therefore no rear foglight button. The correct part number for the 09 with the rear foglight button should be 61 31 9 169 416. Tischer said they cannot order this part yet.
__________________
2010 Audi S4 6MT
2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #552
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
136
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: 435/Jeep Grand Cherokee
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
410 is the U.S. switch, therefore no rear foglight button. The correct part number for the 09 with the rear foglight button should be 61 31 9 169 416. Tischer said they cannot order this part yet.
Yea, thanks. They apparently gave me the wrong part #. I did the thing with the nickel and it works perfectly and only cost me $0.30 (I experimented and glued 2 dimes and a euro nickel together initially)
__________________
2017 YMB ///M4 - August 16th Euro Delivery -----> PCD/M School - October
2014 435i Coupe
2009 335i Coupe
2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #553
bryanwxup
B. W.
bryanwxup's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i US Spec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Yea, thanks. They apparently gave me the wrong part #. I did the thing with the nickel and it works perfectly and only cost me $0.30 (I experimented and glued 2 dimes and a euro nickel together initially)
Thanks for the DIYs and all of the photos and comments. What a great board.

I live in Germany and drive an 09 335i U.S. Spec 4-door. I need the rear fog lights to work to pass German vehicle inspection. This thread has helped immensely.

I'm going to try and get this part you mentioned above 61 31 9 169 416 at the German dealer. If someone needs it, PM me and I'll let you know what it cost me and whether I can get more here and mail them back. Maybe ebay or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #554
bryanwxup
B. W.
bryanwxup's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i US Spec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwxup View Post
Thanks for the DIYs and all of the photos and comments. What a great board.

I live in Germany and drive an 09 335i U.S. Spec 4-door. I need the rear fog lights to work to pass German vehicle inspection. This thread has helped immensely.

I'm going to try and get this part you mentioned above 61 31 9 169 416 at the German dealer. If someone needs it, PM me and I'll let you know what it cost me and whether I can get more here and mail them back. Maybe ebay or whatever.
I was at the dealer today. There are 6 (six!!) versions of that switch for the 3er. Despends on xenon, xenon with turn feature, wagon adj beam height, etc.. in the US we have just 2 part numbers, w/ or w/o xenon. The switch looks the same from the outside apparently.

So I have to do some research and I'll find out Monday. Either way, all 6 versions including the one above are the same price +/- a few euros. About 80 EUR..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #555
Jrlelli
Private First Class
3
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: vineland, new jersey

iTrader: (0)

i have a 09 335 sedan will this work even though there are the light strip in front of it. Also, where can i get this switch for an 09
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #556
vwong
Lieutenant
vwong's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: All Euro
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrlelli View Post
i have a 09 335 sedan will this work even though there are the light strip in front of it. Also, where can i get this switch for an 09
Just buy the pre-09 Euro switch assembly (p/n 61 31 6 932 796), and swap out the rear foglight button, the white spacer piece behind the button, and the circuit board. Then you'll have the rear foglights in the 09 switch (with the chrome trim on the knob). I did this couple weeks ago.
__________________
2010 Audi S4 6MT
2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #557
bryanwxup
B. W.
bryanwxup's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i US Spec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
Just buy the pre-09 Euro switch assembly (p/n 61 31 6 932 796), and swap out the rear foglight button, the white spacer piece behind the button, and the circuit board. Then you'll have the rear foglights in the 09 switch (with the chrome trim on the knob). I did this couple weeks ago.
vwong,
Great idea. I was concerned I might break the thing. You're sure that the part you mentioned is right? I think I will do this method, as the 08 part must be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #558
vwong
Lieutenant
vwong's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: All Euro
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Yes, the part number is the correct one for a pre-09 Euro switch assembly. This is the same p/n listed in the first post. It's very easy to swap the button. I first tried to remove the knob, but after inspecting the assembly, it maybe more difficult to remove the knob. And I was afraid to break the cylinder post behind the knob.
__________________
2010 Audi S4 6MT
2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #559
vwong
Lieutenant
vwong's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: All Euro
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
I posted above that I bought the pre-09 Euro switch and swap the foglight button so I can retain the 09 look (with the chrome trim knob). Here are some pics.

This is the Euro switch after the swap (notice the blank button below the front foglight button).


Undo the 6 clips (circled in the pics below) on the back of the switch assembly to access the button and circuit board.



This is what it looks like behind the buttons.


Undo the 2 clips (circled in the pic) to remove the rear foglight button (from the Euro switch) and the blank button (from the 09 US switch).


After that is done, just pop the rear foglight button into your 09 US switch assembly. Make sure to install the white spacer as well. Also, make sure to swap the circuit board. The Euro board has the light for the rear foglight button while the US board does not. The pic below shows the US board with the missing light.


Put everything back together, and install the switch assembly back into the car.

Picture of the modified 09 switch (parking lights off, therefore the buttons aren't lit).


With parking lights on, therefore the buttons are lit.


Instrument panel showing both front and rear foglights are on.


Rear foglights on.
__________________
2010 Audi S4 6MT
2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #560
srcstc
Major
United_States
33
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
I posted above that I bought the pre-09 Euro switch and swap the foglight button so I can retain the 09 look (with the chrome trim knob). Here are some pics.
Thanks for this!
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:55 AM   #561
bryanwxup
B. W.
bryanwxup's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i US Spec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Activate Rear fog lights (Nebelschlu▀leuchte) Part #61319169 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
Yes, the part number is the correct one for a pre-09 Euro switch assembly. This is the same p/n listed in the first post. It's very easy to swap the button. I first tried to remove the knob, but after inspecting the assembly, it maybe more difficult to remove the knob. And I was afraid to break the cylinder post behind the knob.
Great post, thanks for all of the detailed instructions. So I went to the dealer yesterday here in Cuxhaven, and I asked for a layout of every model and type of switch and the prices. Of course, every switch, regardless of function, is priced the same.. EUR 88.61. So I ordered exactly the one for my car, the brushed chrome model for the sedan, since I can.. I realize in the U.S. that it is harder to get these parts. However if somebody out there wants me to get these parts for you, just let me know..

The correct part numbers for Xenon-enabled 2009+ models are:
Part #61319169 404, -405, -406, 40x...
404 is sedan (matte silver) with fog lights front & Xenon
405 [I think] is the coupe (shiny silver)
406 and others 40x.. are with/without xenon, wagons, coupes, etc.

See photo of the switch in an 09 M320d wagon at the German dealer. Sorry pics are from my iphone so the quality is not so good. This model has front fog lights, xenon and the rain sensor. Also see the screen print from the dealer's parts database. Notice under Teilebenennung the options that determine the correct part number (fog lights Nebelscheinwerfer S520A=JA, rain sensor Regensensor S521A=JA, Xenon-Licht S522A=JA, and the color PERLGLANZ CHROM which is for the sedan models 2009+ that have the matte-silver switch covering) Other colors are Schwarz (for 318, 320 models), PERLGRAU for coupes, PERLANTHRAZIT for M-Line, PERLCHROM for M-convertibles. Of course in the US I think we only have PERLGRAU and PERLGLANZ. Just like all of the options we opnly have 10 or so package choices. Here in germany you can even order simple things like with/without individual cupholders, etc.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #562
srcstc
Major
United_States
33
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
I posted above that I bought the pre-09 Euro switch and swap the foglight button so I can retain the 09 look (with the chrome trim knob). Here are some pics.

This is the Euro switch after the swap (notice the blank button below the front foglight button).


Undo the 6 clips (circled in the pics below) on the back of the switch assembly to access the button and circuit board.



This is what it looks like behind the buttons.


Undo the 2 clips (circled in the pic) to remove the rear foglight button (from the Euro switch) and the blank button (from the 09 US switch).


After that is done, just pop the rear foglight button into your 09 US switch assembly. Make sure to install the white spacer as well. Also, make sure to swap the circuit board. The Euro board has the light for the rear foglight button while the US board does not. The pic below shows the US board with the missing light.


Put everything back together, and install the switch assembly back into the car.

Picture of the modified 09 switch (parking lights off, therefore the buttons aren't lit).


With parking lights on, therefore the buttons are lit.


Instrument panel showing both front and rear foglights are on.


Rear foglights on.



Did this today and it was very easy. Popping out the rear fog button was the hardest part.

FYI, you don't have to remove the trim that goes around your stock headlight switches (#2 in the pic). You can do this without popping it off and it's much easier that way.


__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #563
roofone
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwong View Post
I posted above that I bought the pre-09 Euro switch and swap the foglight button so I can retain the 09 look (with the chrome trim knob). Here are some pics.
Just a note to say thanks. I was able to use the rear fog button on my 09 from an 08 no problem. I didn't even have to switch the circuit board.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #564
srcstc
Major
United_States
33
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofone View Post
Just a note to say thanks. I was able to use the rear fog button on my 09 from an 08 no problem. I didn't even have to switch the circuit board.
I had to switch the circuit board on my 09 cause it didn't have the LED. Does yours light up the button?
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #565
roofone
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I had to switch the circuit board on my 09 cause it didn't have the LED. Does yours light up the button?
Yes, my button lights up. My 09 ciruit board does not look like the one in the picture above, but is identical to the 08 board.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #566
ianturner
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DE

iTrader: (0)

so Part #61319169 405
is for the 09 coupe?

i had this mod on my 07 coupe and just got an 09 coupe yesterday and want to do it again
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:36 PM   #567
srcstc
Major
United_States
33
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
so Part #61319169 405
is for the 09 coupe?

i had this mod on my 07 coupe and just got an 09 coupe yesterday and want to do it again
I have an 09 coupe. I ordered 61 31 6 932 796 and did the mod as described by "vwong"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=558


Easy.
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #568
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I have an 09 coupe. I ordered 61 31 6 932 796 and did the mod as described by "vwong"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=558


Easy.

Where did you purchase your switch and how much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #569
srcstc
Major
United_States
33
Rep
1,325
Posts

Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimit View Post
Where did you purchase your switch and how much does it cost?
http://getbmwparts.com/
$99.95 shipped
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #570
ianturner
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Isn't that expensive?
I thought when i ordered it before it was only like 70 bucks
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #571
vwong
Lieutenant
vwong's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
595
Posts

Drives: All Euro
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
Isn't that expensive?
I thought when i ordered it before it was only like 70 bucks
The price has gone up. I also paid $99.95 shipped from Tischer.
__________________
2010 Audi S4 6MT
2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #572
bryanwxup
B. W.
bryanwxup's Avatar
Germany
0
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i US Spec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Installed switch with chrome knob on 2009 335i SEDAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanwxup View Post
Great post, thanks for all of the detailed instructions. So I went to the dealer yesterday here in Cuxhaven, and I asked for a layout of every model and type of switch and the prices. Of course, every switch, regardless of function, is priced the same.. EUR 88.61. So I ordered exactly the one for my car, the brushed chrome model for the sedan, since I can.. I realize in the U.S. that it is harder to get these parts. However if somebody out there wants me to get these parts for you, just let me know..

The correct part numbers for Xenon-enabled 2009+ models are:
Part #61319169 404, -405, -406, 40x...
404 is sedan (matte silver) with fog lights front & Xenon
405 [I think] is the coupe (shiny silver)
406 and others 40x.. are with/without xenon, wagons, coupes, etc.

See photo of the switch in an 09 M320d wagon at the German dealer. Sorry pics are from my iphone so the quality is not so good. This model has front fog lights, xenon and the rain sensor. Also see the screen print from the dealer's parts database. Notice under Teilebenennung the options that determine the correct part number (fog lights Nebelscheinwerfer S520A=JA, rain sensor Regensensor S521A=JA, Xenon-Licht S522A=JA, and the color PERLGLANZ CHROM which is for the sedan models 2009+ that have the matte-silver switch covering) Other colors are Schwarz (for 318, 320 models), PERLGRAU for coupes, PERLANTHRAZIT for M-Line, PERLCHROM for M-convertibles. Of course in the US I think we only have PERLGRAU and PERLGLANZ. Just like all of the options we opnly have 10 or so package choices. Here in germany you can even order simple things like with/without individual cupholders, etc.
Okay, I finally picked up the part from the dealer here in Germany and installed it. Followed the directions in the tutorial.. worked great and was easy, took about 5 minutes:
Attached Images
           
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST