E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
By SoYank on 08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Interesting that there is a backorder for this part. Maybe BMW NA should consider making it a standard item on cars sold in the U.S. because if it keeps up like this, most of the E90s over there will be retrofit anyway.
By shragon on 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
A different slant: if the fog lights are used properly, that is, when visibility is next to nothing, I would think the more red light you have behind you in the fog the better you'd be. May help prevent having the red and blue and amber lights of emergency and recovery vehicles congregating around a mass of twisted metal.
i agree with you. it's just a lot of US drivers are kinda retarded.
By KL2DC on 08-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
if it keeps up like this, most of the E90s over there will be retrofit anyway.
If it keeps up like this, they might put a stop to it...they didn't want us to have it in the first place
By SoYank on 08-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
bma isn't a dealer, they just sell parts for cars.

wow, awesome price!
It cost me $2547 to get mine. Of course, that also included the Euro tails and the Euro Xenons.
By shragon on 08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
you guys in europe get all the cool things! but i see you listed the rear fog lamps as a mod. so it's not standard?
By spydrz on 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Just got this email from the Parts Dept.

5:16 pm (3 minutes ago)

Your order should be in and ready to ship by Monday.

By KL2DC on 08-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Spydrz...dayem that's fast. Thanks for the update
By spydrz on 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Spydrz...dayem that's fast. Thanks for the update
No prob...
Let's just hope I get the right part!!
By turpiwa on 08-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz
Just got this email from the Parts Dept.

5:16 pm (3 minutes ago)

Your order should be in and ready to ship by Monday.

Ditto

Except mine was 4:16 PM (CST)

We'll have to wait and see - that may just be a standard response. Unless they send us the US part - no rear switch - that would suck.
Last edited by turpiwa; 08-09-2006 at 05:00 PM.
By spydrz on 08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpiwa

Ditto

Except mine was 4:16 PM (CST)

We'll have to wait and see - that may just be a standard response. Unless they send us the US part - no rear switch - that would suck.

Well, we ordered that specific part #, so it's on them if they fill the order wrong.
I bet the parts counter guy is wondering why they're selling several Euro switches all of a sudden. Crown'll have to raise their price soon!
By shragon on 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM
nice! lucky!

i got an update from my guy, it's going to take them 7-10 days to get it in from germany, so i should see it on my door step in two weeks.
By zamboni on 08-09-2006, 06:39 PM
So far Morristown has not confirm the cost yet and best bet is to place an order with http://parts.crownauto.com/.
$53.11 on their website.
By Chesmu on 08-09-2006, 06:49 PM
just placed an order with crown auto. no shipping cost? 53.11.
Look forward to adding this mod. It'll be my first "lighting" mod!
Yeah! Modding is fun. Never did it with any other car. Really makes owning a BMW a unique experience.
By ZuerstBMW on 08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Does Crown have these in stock?
By Chesmu on 08-09-2006, 09:19 PM
my order is currently "in process" I'll let you know as soon as I find out.
By spydrz on 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
my order is currently "in process" I'll let you know as soon as I find out.
First one who gets the switch, post a pic!!
By seahawk on 08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Can someone post a picture of a "flat blade tool" suitable for prying trim pieces?
By Chesmu on 08-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk
Can someone post a picture of a "flat blade tool" suitable for prying trim pieces?
would that be a picture of the President holding his shovel?
By Mixx2000 on 08-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Hold on there guys. This JD from Crown BMW of Greensboro. The website is based out of our dealership, not Richmond. But I've got no problem fielding all your orders. Let me clear acouple things up.

- When your orders were submitted I didn't expect the site to "go public" on the message boards so soon. So I have'nt been watching for Euro parts to start popping up. These swithches will have to come from Germany, and we're looking at 7-10 business days until I see them.

- Sometimes (although very rarely) BMW restricts certain parts from the US market. So we'll have to wait until these hit before we start getting excited. Germany shows 134 of these switches, so we'll see if we can get them, and then how many we can get.

- There is some shipping (a minimum of $7.00) and up from there depending on weight.

- CCA discounts do not apply, as right now I have the site priced below 90% of my wholesale accounts.

Once I saw three orders hit for the same part overnight I suspected a forum had become involved. That's cool. I'll copy this message to each of the gentlemen who have already placed orders in case they don't see this post. The best way to use our site is to look up your parts on RealOEM.com and then just pop the part number into our "Search by Factory Part Number" field on our home page.

I've got no problem getting these for you guys, as long as I don't see any E90's on World's Scariest Police Chases blindin the Police.
By KL2DC on 08-10-2006, 08:33 AM
JD, thanks for updating us...we appreciate the attention

You can expect an order from me as well, just waiting for news from my install buddy. We're trying to maybe do a group install here...

edit: just placed my order for the switch (and x5 bulbs)...*jumping on bandwagon*
Last edited by KL2DC; 08-10-2006 at 08:50 AM.
By spydrz on 08-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for your help JD!!
By KL2DC on 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
that's customer service, he actually tracked us down to this forum and this thread to learn and update...
Comment