E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Rear Fog Lights

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY- Rear Fog Lights
brianlay
08-08-2006
US cars can have the rear foglights enabled by replacing the light switch with the Euro version. These are the same lamps already installed as adaptive brake lights. While the rear fogs are switched on, the adaptive brake light function is disabled.

Parts required- 61 31 6 932 796 ...
By obLu on 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
JD, I noticed no pricing was on the site yet for the new e90 ipod interface ( 65 11 0 403 650 ). I've already got mine ordered, but there's a few threads in the electronics forum of people trying to find it. People here might be interested too.
By Mixx2000 on 08-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Whats up Guys, the E90 iPod interface isn't on our price tape yet (should be by the end of the month though). It looks like it's going to be about $293 through the site.

As for the Reverse Camera setup I'm looking into this. If your car came with Idrive/Nav then there has to be a way to have the image displayed through the Idrive's in dash monitor. Leaving the "Vent Monitor" only for those without Idrive. I have to first see if I can talk BMW into adding the number to our market, as right now I can't even get price or availability. I'll keep you guys posted. -JD
By ZuerstBMW on 08-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I just installed mine and it works perfect. I actually just pulled my trim out with my hand starting with the speedo side and it pulled out pretty easily. Im happy. Thanks again JD.
By mosport70 on 08-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx2000
Whats up Guys, the E90 iPod interface isn't on our price tape yet (should be by the end of the month though). It looks like it's going to be about $293 through the site.

As for the Reverse Camera setup I'm looking into this. If your car came with Idrive/Nav then there has to be a way to have the image displayed through the Idrive's in dash monitor. Leaving the "Vent Monitor" only for those without Idrive. I have to first see if I can talk BMW into adding the number to our market, as right now I can't even get price or availability. I'll keep you guys posted. -JD
Thanks JD. I do have iDrive and PDC so I'm hoping the wiring harness for the PDC already has a lead for the camera.

Keep us posted and thanks again. Feel free to start a new thread when you get an update from BMW.
By tiga901 on 08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I just ordered mine from Crown....This is a great MOD. I cant wait to get it installed.
By Kamando on 08-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Installed my switch, easiest mod ever. Trim came off nice and easy, though the door side did require a tad bit more muscle than the steering wheel side.
By jbblack on 08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
switch arrived today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando
Installed my switch, easiest mod ever. Trim came off nice and easy, though the door side did require a tad bit more muscle than the steering wheel side.
My switch arrived today and I have to second the above quote. From opening the box to finish was about 30 min. Used my fingers, a couple of old credit cards and a thin pry bar.

THANKS JD! and BRIANLAY FOR THE SUPER PHOTOS AND TIPS!!

Sent the BMW Dealer Bulletin with part #'s for the IPOD MOST interface to the Reno Dealer and he had never seen it. Asked where I got it (Bimmerfest). He did say that there were 400 on backorder through out the system - once he had the part numbers. I would love to get one at a great price, however the dealer still has to do the install and programing I believe.

Be of good cheer,
Jeff
By 742 on 08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
brainlay (who started all this)--

Works great. Thanks.
By toughluck on 08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
New Part Number

I just received my switch from Osama BMW, part num (65 11 0 403 666). Here is a photo. I am plan to install this tonight, after of course, using my butter knife to put butter on my toast.

Seriously, does anyone know what the left side of the switch is used for? This is one of the phantom black plastic covers where additional buttons/features can be added later.
Attached Images

By KL2DC on 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
toughluck: The left side would be for the halogen headlight levelers (in euro and other world market cars). Headlight levelers come in handy when towing or have a heavy load in the rear....
By BMWWhiz on 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Any one from Canada ordered this switch? I e-mailed JD this morning and he said no problem and gave me a shipping rate of $15.00 to Ontario but when I went to order online it wouldn't accept my request unless I put a US ship address
By KL2DC on 08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Dayem, how many switches in total have we ordered from JD/Crown BMW Won't BMW AG get suspicious to see one dealer ordering so many of a specific euro part.
By 18LLC on 08-29-2006, 07:39 PM
still waiting for mine, should be here soon.
By neuronpetkowski on 08-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Getting mine tomorrow according to UPS.
I too, will post pics and will try the McGyver butter knife technique.
By just4kickz on 08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
what are rear fogs light for anyways?
By just4kickz on 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughluck
I just received my switch from Osama BMW, part num (65 11 0 403 666). Here is a photo. I am plan to install this tonight, after of course, using my butter knife to put butter on my toast.

Seriously, does anyone know what the left side of the switch is used for? This is one of the phantom black plastic covers where additional buttons/features can be added later.
lol.. id rather have... DISCO LIGHTS... not.
By lux.sh on 08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughluck

It seems like they ran out of those parts. something about their service department getting bombed.
By Chesmu on 08-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Headlight levelers come in handy when towing or have a heavy load in the rear....
'Cause that's what the e90 is designed for...
By mosport70 on 08-29-2006, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Dayem, how many switches in total have we ordered from JD/Crown BMW Won't BMW AG get suspicious to see one dealer ordering so many of a specific euro part.
The engineers are probably wondering why so many of these US spec switches are failing... just in the past few weeks.

They probably got of couple of guys working on a improved design already!
By KL2DC on 08-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosport70
The engineers are probably wondering why so many of these US spec switches are failing... just in the past few weeks.

They probably got of couple of guys working on a improved design already!
The euro light switch factory in Romania is working on triple overtime now
By ZuerstBMW on 08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
what are rear fogs light for anyways?
To blind the people driving slow in the fast lane when you cut them on. J/K
By just4kickz on 08-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
To blind the people driving slow in the fast lane when you cut them on. J/K
well in that case... SIGN ME UP
Comment