E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > what a bad day

08-08-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Angry what a bad day

The best way for me to get to work each day is to cut down little 2 lane back-roads for half the drive. Well, today there was an accident and they had the road blocked off (must have been a pretty bad accident). So I ended up having to backtrack about 15 minutes then take the long way into work. This got me to work 30 minutes late.. not good when I had a conference call set up for this morning.

To make matters worse, while taking the long way in I had a DOT road crew dump-truck pull out in front of me. As he did, his tailgate swung out and a bunch of gravel dropped out... I hit the brakes and was already 3-4 cl's back, but I could still hear it bouncing off my car. Get into work and check my car... the hood has a scratch from a stone (maybe .5" long); but infront of the scratch there's a chip in the paint. It's about the size of a tic-tac, and definetely through the clear coat; maybe even through a bit of the paint. I would get pics, but my camera's at home, so it'll have to wait till this evening.

Can this be fixed without repainting the entire hood? I wish I had the clear-bra on already, but the installers are all booked solid. Now they're saying I'll have to wait even longer after it's fixed to let the paint cure.

So yeah... Today's been terrible, and that was all prior to 9:30am
      08-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Sorry... just had to vent.

Just got back from the dealer-owned body shop. They gave me an estimate of $540 to fix my hood. This sucks.
      08-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to KL2DC
Ouch that sucks nmulax...and you were planning to install the clear bra...life's not fair sometimes. Wish you all the best!

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Spain
Rep

Drives: 14 SG F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax

Just got back from the dealer-owned body shop. They gave me an estimate of $540 to fix my hood. This sucks.
Sorry to hear that. That sounds about right to repaint the whole hood.
14 F15 X5 3.5i M-Sport SG Terra, Fineline Oak, Driver Pkg, Prem. Pkg, H/K, Spare, 20" 469M Rims, Park Assist, Surround View, Shades MODS Performance Black Grille & Rocker Panel Decals, Painted Reflectors, 3M Bra, Black OEM X5 Frame
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Is a repaint my only real option?

I hate to spend $500 on redoing a brand new hood, on top of $1,000 for a clear bra... but I'm thinking that if I don't, I'll be stuck with a constantly growing collection of stone chips.
      08-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Is a repaint my only real option?

I hate to spend $500 on redoing a brand new hood, on top of $1,000 for a clear bra... but I'm thinking that if I don't, I'll be stuck with a constantly growing collection of stone chips.
Bad day.

$540 sounds right to repaint the hood.

Are you sure you want a clear bra?

They are very noticable on sparkling graphite.

That's why I'm not getting one.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Well, I bought the car and plan to keep it for at least 4 years.
The BMW or Xpel clear bras are not an option since I have the M-Technic front bumper. It has to be a custom cut job, and the rates have been between $950 and $1075.

I'm thinking that without a clear bra it'll look terrible within 2 years. I suppose I could always splurge on a repaint at that time; but I'm concerned about the how close to factory it'll look... assuming SG is a tough color to match (I knew I should have gone with Jet Black).

Should I get the repaint done and put on the clear bra; or try the touch up paint, deal with it, and get a repaint in a few years?
      08-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:

Hey, you're entitled to vent. That's what we're here for.

Your day sounds like mine...without the conference call. Overnight, the road to work was refinished with oil and stone. Try as I may, driving as far to the left (UK) as possible without ending up in the ditch, the oncoming traffic kicked up rocks left and right. Fortunately, I've only noticed a couple of very tiny chips in the windscreen. Couldn't see anything on the paint so I'm crossing my fingers.

On a similar note with the paintwork, I've decided to switch from the 6"x12" US style plate to the the long European plate. But the US bracket screw holes won't be covered by the European bracket. I've gotten a couple of estimates for repairing the holes and repainting: £195-£199 which equate to almost $400. I know there's a thread out on filling in these holes and I have half a mind to do it myself. But it's that other half that is making me balk. What is really sad is that when I move to the states in a couple of years I will revert back to the US bracket and will need to fill the holes from the UK bracket. Or move to a state that doesn't require a front plate and leave what I have -- get a personal plate with the UK registration number for the back.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

That sucks bro. I know how you feel. And you really can't get the dumbtruck driver's insurance to pay for it either because he's long gone I guess. $540 sounds a bit high for the repaint though. My BMW body shop quoted me $400 to repaint the hood. I only asked because I was sitting in the guys office over something else and the question popped into my mind even though I don't have any chips or scratches on my hood -- thank god.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
That sucks bro. I know how you feel. And you really can't get the dumbtruck driver's insurance to pay for it either because he's long gone I guess. $540 sounds a bit high for the repaint though. My BMW body shop quoted me $400 to repaint the hood. I only asked because I was sitting in the guys office over something else and the question popped into my mind even though I don't have any chips or scratches on my hood -- thank god.

yeah, haha... I think having the truck's insurance cover it is out of the question considering it was a road crew vehicle. I don't think I'd win against the state of Michigan by arguing they should be more careful of BMW driving behind their trucks.

This was quoted by going directly to the body shop that my dealer owns. I'm going to contact my SA and see if he can work anything better for me.
      08-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
RGRAY
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330xi SG/TERRA/STEP/SP/HS/CA

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
...Should I get the repaint done and put on the clear bra; or try the touch up paint, deal with it, and get a repaint in a few years?
Why don't you wait a week and then decide?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/e90gar...20TINT%20A.jpg

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
armoredsaint
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 650i Gran Coupe

Garage List
get touch-up paint and a bottle of Langka! that is what i did and you can't even tell where it was
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Spain
Rep

Drives: 14 SG F15

Get a CF hood.
14 F15 X5 3.5i M-Sport SG Terra, Fineline Oak, Driver Pkg, Prem. Pkg, H/K, Spare, 20" 469M Rims, Park Assist, Surround View, Shades MODS Performance Black Grille & Rocker Panel Decals, Painted Reflectors, 3M Bra, Black OEM X5 Frame
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
Get a CF hood.
Yeah, and 25" rims complete with NOS! Just kidding.
Appreciate 0