E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Banana's Progress Thread | Nothing Wild Inside

07-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

Banana's Progress Thread | Nothing Wild Inside

Not sure how to start off a build thread so I'll just go with what feels right. Welcome to small piece of my world.

The Background: I come from a Honda world. I've ALWAYS owned Honda's and even though I'm now a BMW convert I still have a soft spot in my heart for those fun little 4 bangers. I've owned Accords, Civics, Integras, TL's of varying years and each one was fun in its own way whether I just drove it or heavily modified it. My 'true love' will always be the 1993 DA9.

The Thanks: Want to take a moment to thanks to several people including Darrell at BoostHaus, Ken at WedgePerformance , those crazy bastards N54 Exclusive, @[Charlie@McKennaBMWService](contact:199095) at McKenna BMW and anyone who has tolerated my PM's seeking knowledge and asking the 'obvious' or 'dumb' questions. I'm the kinda person that can understand something and still ask 'why'.

The Story: After coming from a long line of owning many Honda's our 2003 TL Type S tranny was finally giving and it was time to get a new car. No not the Bimmer; I picked up a 2013 Kia Optima and this thing SCREAMED excitement , I'm kidding, I hated EVERYTHING about it from the vanilla looks to its 'soccer dad' daily driver feeling to its lack of power and any 'head turning' components . After 3 years of driving a car that lacked everything that has to do with anything related to the 'fun' department it was time for the Kia to go. Around the same time a coworker was in an accident and lost his 330. He and I began having several conversations about what his next car would be. He had this internal debate between an E46 M3 and an E92 335i but I had heard enough. Enough to know that my next car was going to be a 335i!

Not really 'seeking' to pick up a 335i right away I pulled my usual tactic of firing off several emails to dealers inquiring about their car for sale putting up unrealistic expectations like taking my Kia as a trade in with no cash exchanged, paying off the balance of what I owed on the Kia and keeping my payment at $400 a month. After about 20 or so emails one person responded with 'When can you pickup your new car'. I had actually deleted the email and joked about it with my wife since the fact that I would even own a BMW was comical at the time but the salesman was persistent. He called me up and asked when I could come down. I set an appointment with the intent that I wasnt going to show up and was really just trying to get him off the phone. Long story short, on December 7th, 2015, I bought the car that day and haven't looked back since.

The Goal: My goals for this car are (were) very mild. I wanted a low to mid 12 second car that I could drive to work every day and take the wife out for a nice night on the town. I want to keep the car as OEM looking as possible while still increasing the performance, handling, and looks of the car. Today, like everyone else, those goals have changed, and while I still want to maintain a VERY OEM look to the car I'm striving to make this more of a daily driven 1/4 mile car. I've now have set my sights on low to mid 11sec car that is daily driven, looks good, and is reliable; come along for the ride!

The Palette:
Here she is, Silvia. A 2009 E90 335i with a clean title and decent mileage, I believe she had 60042 mile on her the day I purchased her. Obviously she's Titanium Silber (that cracks me up every time) with 'black' interior and walnut trim. I believe those are style 287 rims but they might also be 189, I cant really tell the difference but I'm sure some of you can.

No mods at this point but none the less a very good looking car and by far the fastest car I have owned to date. She has some minor dings on the hood and pits from rocks on the front bumper, hood, and doors but nothing major.

www.BananaClipper.com
BoostHaus | Wedge | /story

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 07-20-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Appreciate 6
      07-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Mods:

I so wish we could use columns on these post but it is what it is and here is my list of completed mods, mods I've purchased and have not been installed, and mods I've yet to purchase

Purchased and/or installed/completed:
Golf Tee (myself)
Carly Mods (various effects)
BMS DCI (myself)
Hawk HPS Brake Pads (BoostHaus)
Walnut Blasting (BoostHaus)
Delphi Ignition Coils (myself)
Continental DWS (Pep Boys & Wheel Works)
Valve Cover Gasket (BoostHaus)
VTT PCV valves (BoostHaus)
Replaced Oil Filter Housing Gasket (BoostHaus)
Replaced OEM Turbos (McKenna BMW)
Coolant Flush (BoostHaus)
VRSF Downpipes (BoostHaus)
VRSF Chargepipe (myself)
Forge Diverter Valves (myself)
Alpina TCU Flash (myself)
EVAP Purge Valve (myself)
Air Cabin Filter (myself)
Tint front windows (Icon Window Tint)
Charge A/C (Akin's Auto Repair)
Differential Oil (BoostHaus)
VTT Silicon Inlets (BoostHaus)
Fuel-It Bluetooth Ethanol Analyzer (BoostHaus)
Fuel-It Ethanol Sensor & Lines (BoostHaus)
Fuel-It Stage 2 fuel pump(BoostHaus)
3.5 Bar MAP Sensor (BoostHaus)
BMS Oil Catch Can (BoostHaus)
VRSF 7" FMIC (BoostHaus)
Wedge Custom E40 Tune (Ken @ WedgePeformance)
Wedge E60 tune (Ken)
Replaced OEM LPFP Sensor (McKenna BMW)
Index 12 Fuel Injectors (McKenna BMW)
LED Fog Lights (myself)
Brass Cowl Inserts (myself)
Mobius Action Camera Integrated Dashcam (myself - Thnx to Pawlin )
M3 Trunk Lip (myself)
Boost Addictions Differential Brace (BoostHaus)
NGK Spark Plugs .020 (myself)
Apex Arc8 18x9|18x9.5 wiht 255/35|265/35 via the advice and help of @[Expert@ApexRaceParts](contact:166980) (Wheel Works)
Replace Serpentine Belt (BoostHaus)
Wheel Stud Conversion (BoostHaus)
OEM color-matched reflector delete (Myself)
M3 Front Upper and Lower Control Arms (BoostHaus)
M3 front sway bar (BoostHaus)
MFactory Endlinks (BoostHaus)
MFactory Coilovers w. Camber plates (BoostHaus)
StopTech Slotted Rotors (all 4 corners) (Myself)

Purchased mods waiting to be installed:

PE Mod (I couldn't help myself, Cyba SS 3.8" tips and an Amazon x pipe)

Not yet purchased (items may/will change and are NOT in any particular order):

StopTech Braided Lines (not sure I'll ever actually need these....)
High Temp Brake Fluid (waiting till I flush the lines) <--- NEXT
New Brake Calipers (painted; but seriously considering the F10 brake upgrade, I think thats what I've been reading about...? )
Solid differential bushings
M3 Sub frame Bushings
Drive Shaft Center Support
Replace GUIBO
Replace Engine Mounts
Replace Transmission Mounts
Replace Rear Main Seal
Line Lock Kit (2017)
LSD (December)
Oil Pan Gasket (2017)
VTT GC Lites (2017)
VTT Single Barrel HPFP upgrade
M5 or Mtech or Performance front Bumper
M3 side skirt (meh... on the fence about this since I like the OEM side skirts, might just get splitters instead)
17" drag radials and rims for track days

The Maintenance (OUCH, this is definitely NOT a Honda)
:
Date Work Performed Mileage
1/1/2016 Oil Change Preventative 62500
2/1/2016 Rotors/Pads Required 63000
3/1/2016 Oil Change Preventative 64000
3/1/2016 Alignment Preventative 64000
3/1/2016 Tires Preventative 64000
3/24/2016 Valve Cover Gasket Required 64878
3/24/2016 PCV Replacement Preventative 64878
3/29/2016 Warranty Work Required 65247
5/2/2016 Warranty Work Required 66368
5/28/2016 Parts Replacement Required 67504
6/7/2016 Oil Change Preventative 68083
6/7/2016 Differential Oil Change Preventative 68083
6/16/2016 Oil Filter Housing Gasket Required 68083
6/16/2016 Coolant Flush Preventative 68107
6/23/2016 A/C System Recharge Required 68273
7/8/2016 Spark Plugs Preventative 69204
7/9/2016 Cleaned VANOS Required 69204
8/27/2016 Replaced HPFP Required 71402
10/12/2016 Serpentine Belt/Pulleys/OFHG Required 73542
10/12/2016 Oil Change & Analysis Required 73542
10/12/2016 Upper Water Hose Required 73542
10/15/2016 Power Steering Flush Required 73555

Thats a LOT of maintenance for only owning the car for 9k miles... FML

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 11-13-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Journey:

Let me preface this 'journey' with the fact that I dont talk about prices and/or practices for ANYONE on this board or any other board. Keep it positive or keep moving. This is a snapshot of what I've been through to 'catch' anyone interested up with what I've done/been doing. Skip down past the 'journey' if all you're interested in is pics.

After driving the car for a few days I had the itch to modify Silvia. After reading many threads and weighing the pros/cons of modifying the car I went out and bought a JB4 off Amazon as well as a BMS DCI setup. I wanted to play it safe and I was pretty happy with that but it was obvious there was more to be done and if I wanted a 'safe' 'vanilla' car I should've just kept the Kia. With my birthday coming up the wife asked what I wanted and soon after purchased a set of VRSF downpipes. Side note, let me say I was absolutely FLOORED by the cost a lot of shops charge around the Bay Area to install them. I considered installing them myself but I live in an apartment and at the time lacked the tools and work space to perform such an install. After calling several shops and comparing prices I was introduced to BoostHaus whose been nothing but exception towards me, a LOT of people on this board have which is much different than the Honda world I'm used to where you hide your license plate. Needless to say Darrell took care of me and I was able to afford having a walnut blasting done and brakes installed with my downpipes.

I didnt and dont really have a lot of money. I'm a father of 2 in a middle management job living in Silicon Valley. I like to have fun but I try to keep it responsible. With that said I was looking for 'mods' that were free or cheap. This is when I came across the Alpina TCU flash for the AT. I wont bore you with details of my trials and tribulations finding the correct software, getting it setup properly but it was exactly what I was looking for. FREE. Not soon after I realized what everyone else does; its not for everyone. After going back and forth several times with the 3 versions everyone seemed to flash and OEM TCU flash I said F it and just left it and now I'm glad I did. The car is just a different car with Alpina, I'll leave it at that.

Shortly after getting the downpipes installed I developed the dreaded wastegate rattle. Not really wanting to upgrade to some aftermarket turbos at this point in time I didnt know where to turn. Luckily Charlie at McKenna BMW in SoCal was there for me. He was able to have his guys inspect the car and determined that the turbos were done. 3 Days later I had my baby back and a new set or OEM snails. Shortly after that I 'grew up a little' and ditched the JB4 and went with MHD flash tune after reading all the benefits of it. Please understand that I have NOTHING against the JB4, it just wasnt for me, the JB4 is an excellent mod and I had LOTS of fun with the JB4 piggy back kit.

Lucky for me my birthday and Valentines day, which is my wife's Christmas, are in the same month. Shortly after getting the downpipes I asked for the VRSF charge pipe for Valentines. Romantic no? I didnt have the opportunity to install the charge pipe since I had been waiting for a set of used Forge DV's to come on the market although I didnt have to wait long. Some barely used Forge DV's were FS and I was there to pick them up! Getting ready to install the charge pipe and diverter valves I realized there was a slight issue with the couplers that connects the charge pipe to the DV's but @[Tiago@VRSF](contact:32345) took care of me and quickly resolved this matter. He had the correct parts to my door in a few days time and the charge pipe and DV's were installed and crossed off the check list.

I learned very quickly that when you use MHD, and really whenever you use any tune, you need to LOG. Log, log, log, and then log AGAIN! . During this time I noticed that my LPFP was staying between 55.2 and 55.4. I thought this was a good thing until my fuel injector in cylinder 4 went out. Again, Charlie @ McKenna was there to help me out. His staff took care of me and Silvia and I had the car back in a few days with new Index 12 injectors and a replaced LPFP sensor.

To take an already long story and shorten it up I've since gone FBO, VTT inlets, Stg 2 Fuel-It LPFP, BMW OCC, VTT PCV, BA's diff lockdown brace, and Custom MHD tune by Wedge. I've met a lot of REALLY helpful people on this and other boards and made some new friends that share the same interest. There is a local group of guys on Facebook called N54 Exclusive, fun group of guys but leave your feelings and ass-pons at the door, hit us up if you want to join in the fun or just looking for something different. The majority of us are in the SF Bay Area and meet up quite often actually. Even if its just for a beer or to help one another out with something.

Now that we're all caught up I'll share the rest of my 'journey' with you as it happens, or at least within a few days. While I wont be doing anything drastically different than anyone else on the board I hope to find a balance of performance and OEM looks that anyone can appreciate. I appreciate all critique and input but lets keep this thread positive.

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 07-25-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Test:

Being that I've had all this work done, much of which I didnt previously talk about, I felt it was time to see what all this hard work and planning had produced. I chose to go to Sonoma Raceway mainly because its the closest one to my house but for familiarity. I'd been here several times over my life but never had I participated as a driver. It was actually quite a nerve racking experience but one of the funnest days I've had in a really long time.

My track day setup was FBO + Inlets + Stg 2 LPFP + Custom Wedge E40 tune (I was running E50) on blown struts and DWS tires.

With short notice I asked the guys from N54 Exclusive, and being that Sonoma drags are typically on a Wednesday at 3pm, no one was able to go with the exception of Darrell whose car was actually down at the time due to a clutch upgrade in progress. Im sure Daisy is a mid 11sec car the way she sits at the time of this write up. None the less, being the stand up dude he was he was there to support me, perform some pre-race checks and maintenance and give me pointers.

Going back to this being a nerve-racking experience. There is a LOT more going on at the 1/4 mile track than you think. Everything from remembering to strap up your helmet to not running over the guy mopping the wall. Just to run you through MY mind when my group was called my mental checklist went something like this:

- helmet on
- make sure helmet is strapped up
- watch the track staff for where to go
- watch the track staff to tell me when to pre-stage (drive up to the water box?)
- watch the car in front of me which watching the staff tell me to line up
- make sure I dont hit the wall while I drive around the water box
- line the car up in the 'grooves' while not running over the track staff 'mopping' up the 'fluids' on the track
- getting the car up to the staging lights
- getting the second staging light up while watching the other guys staging light to get an idea for how much time I have
- make sure the car is in 2nd (I have AT)
- make sure I'm logging (I forgot to do this all but 1 run)
- make sure I'm brake boosting to 2k rpms
- anticipate the green without red lighting
- shifting JUST after 6k rpms
- keep the car straight while watching the road and shifting at proper time

All this while not knowing where to exit, I actually made a u-turn on the track , and then forgetting everything I JUST did so I could mentally prepare to do it all again. I know you novice and veteran guys think this is an over exaggeration but this was my experience and there was a LOT more mentally that I either was not aware of or ready for than I anticipated.

My results were mixed and I felt like the car can and will do better. While in my head the car was already an 11sec car. This simply was not the case on this day. The car may be a high 11sec car as it sits now but not with me behind the wheel and not on a blown suspension. My best run of the day was 12.39 at 113.23mph trap. I ended up 'breaking out' on my first run because I was trying to anticipate the light and was over thinking the whole thing. I was staged and told myself when the others cars second staging light comes on I'm gone... well I was /story HAHA they must've wondered WTF I was doing LMAO ( I was NOT drunk or drinking btw). Aside from mental issues I had a few car related issues on my first few runs that cause the car to stop making boost in 4th gear for w/e reason... I wasn't loggin

Here is my time slips from that day, I guess theyre 'ok' but I left a lot on the track that day.

Here is the only video I'm willing to show. This is my 12.41 run

This is from my rear view mounted Mobius Action Cam. If you watch towards the wall you can see the car 'dive' shortly after getting into 4th then hear the CEL light on shortly there after.

Here are some other pics and videos for you to enjoy from my first of many trips to the track courtesy Darrell of BoostHaus

My favorite pic

The car I 'lost' to next to me, mocking me...

This video I had just flashed to a different tune because I kept getting CEL and no boost in 4th... yay, didnt work out so well because the car left in 3rd gear haha
https://vid.me/iVzb

My red-light run I 'lost'
https://vid.me/Bklz

One of my 2 runs the car stopped making boost
https://vid.me/5AeW

I'll be going back 3 times in August so hopefully I'll see you there!

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 07-25-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Dyno:

So another first for me was actually having a car worthy of being on the dyno. I had a previous dyno performed with just DP's and MHD OTS tune but I felt the numbers were off so I had not mentioned it until now.

I REALLY want to thank E90Crack for organizing the thing and DNR Performance in Hayward, CA for hosting all of us. I dont know his SN on Bimmerpost but the owner of @MunichMonster on IG has one HELL of a car as does @RTBM4 on IG.

With that said, I was again a little disappointed. In my mind I felt the car should have put down more whp and wtq, and it probably actually does (I'll explain later). Silvia put down a best of 420whp and a best of 468wtq (not on the same run).

Here is my dyno results for that day

And here is some video of the dyno run itself

Here are a few pics of other cars there that day from the various BimmerPost forums including E90post and the N54 Exclusive group on FB:

There were many other cars there and if you're interested check out my IG @clipper_of_bananas but I'll caution you to watch the MunichMonster's dyno, it cleared the room his exhaust is soo f'n loud

Here is a video playlist of the cars at DNR Performance that day from the E90post Dyno Day put together by E90Crack:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...m2VwWyGf0d9pk4

The Chill:
A few of us decided to hang out after dyno day, grab a beer and food and shoot the shit

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 07-20-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Mistakes:

I thought about it and I keep saying that I've learned a lot during my short 8 months with this car but havent talked much about it. Lets talk about possibly the most influential lessons learned; the mistakes.

I can safely claim that I, ME, BANANA CLIPPER, is the KING of dropped screws. While this may not seem like a very big deal I've found ways of turning a single dropped screw into half day events. Just recently I dropped on of my air cabin filter screws down into the abyss somewhere between the engine block and the intake manifold. Searched for that damn thing for 3 hours using awkward angles and lights. I went as far as to actually consider taking the intake manifold off but got as far as the charge pipe and realized that there are no moving parts, thus, wasting my time.

Another, more fascinating, example of how I can turn a simple dropped screw into a long afternoon was the time I was installing my charge pipe. My son, who's 19, who was helping and watching me install the charge pipe wasnt awake for the tear down and removal of the old CP so obviously he had questions. Along the way I shared what little bits I knew with him and then the incident I'll call 'The Screw' happened.

Buttoning everything up slowly and steadily as to not miss replacing a screw or forgetting to plug something back in like a vacuum line everything was going well. My son pointed to the front inlet (stock at the time) and asked whats this do. Glad to show him, and screw in hand, I said "oh, this is the ...." screw falls down into the inlet and I watch it with my ears bounce from all the way down into the turbo blades. FAAAAAAAAAWK is all I could manage to scream out. In disbelief I stood around for an hour cursing the car and trying to justify 'why' I didnt need to remove the inlet and get into the engine and get that screw out.

Accepting that I had to go in, take off the inlet, and get that damn screw out I did some online research. I found an article here on E90post.com that explained how to install inlets. My heart dropped. Talks of 6 to 8 hours, dropping the subframe, etc were all included in this DIY and my baby was on the street with no way of getting her into my garage. I went to my go to, Darrell at BoostHaus for advice and he assured me that the front inlet was actually a VERY simple removal. I grabbed my jack and stands. Removed the under tray, the torx screw that hold some type of 'secondary oil cooler' or wtf that thing is that is attached to the bottom of the radiator fan, and the wire 'clip' that is attached to the top of the fan and pulled that bad boy out. My confidence grew. I quickly got the 2 screws that held the inlet off and snaked that thing out of the engine bay. To my displeasure the screw was nowhere to be found. I couldnt believe it. Thinking the worst that it has gone in between the bladed and IN to the turbo I panicked. After a few minutes I found that SOB sitting between some wires in the engine bay and it was over.

I buttoned everything back up, being extra careful not to drop the screw back into the inlet and this day was over. Time for some beer and stories!

Here are some visual references of this debacle:

My 'Mess' of parts and tools during this event, I actually tried to 'vacuum' the screw back out

The workspace I was dealing with. I love how the street leans, made me feel nice and comfy under the car:

Front inlet off:

THAT MF'n SCREW, F YOU SCREW!!!!:

All said and done I forgot to reconnect the over flow reservoir sensor. If you get this light and the reservoir seems full check the cable is snug on the bottom side of the reservoir facing the engine firewall

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 07-20-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #7
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Epiphany:
So, I made it out to Sonoma for my second time in about a month. My son was going to come out and run his 96 Civic for shits and giggles and to 'see where hes at' since he still has the B16 in there and plans to do a B18 swap later this year. Unfortunately, I was running through the Tech inspection with him and noticed he had 1 wheel stud missing. No biggie, we get it replaced for $50 and I notice his car is bleeding oil. Somehow the oil pan gasket we replaced less than 3 months ago has already worn out. needless to say, no track day for him.

Here is how Silvia sits today, still stock-ish, just the look I'm going for:

During my 3 and 1/2hr drive through the rigors of traffic that the Bay Area presents to us all I kept running through my mental checklist and going over and over all the things I needed to do to mentally prepare for a good days worth of runs. You get a little loopy when seeing this for 3 and 1/2 hours with an avg speed of 20mph so I was trying to keep myself entertained.

With all the time in traffic and distance traveled, plus I was running the AC on and off, the FMIC was pretty heat soaked by the time I got there. When I arrived at Sonoma I was inspected right away and told my class was running so I was up for a run as soon as I arrived with my heat soaked FMIC needless to say, the run was NOT a very good one.

Heat soaked:

1st run :

A funny, not so funny side note here, the announcer was giving his usual spiel over the radio the announce mentions a few brief facts about you and your car and if you go enough he even remembers a few of the participants. During my run he's saying my name and at the end announces I won the matchup and that I ran an 11.70. I was ECSTATIC and yelling in my car. Pointed to driver next to me and cheered. Texting people as I was coming back down to get my proof only to see the above. A fucking 12.70 haha. I'll try to pull the audio off my dash cam when I have some more free time just for the lulz.

A noteworthy fact that made a huge difference as you'll see below is that I took the advice of Darrell prior to making my way up to Sonoma Raceway and I went to OSH and picked up a spray bottle, some rubbing alcohol, and mixed it 50/50 with water. Promptly sprayed down the FMIC with a light mist of the mixture and literally watched the IAT drop before my eyes to under 105* and it went even lower before my third run! On my second run of the day I set my new PR in almost all aspects. R/T, ET, 60', and trap speeds. I know, nothing earth shattering, or worthy of writing home about but its MINE haha

Funny thing is, I dont remember a whole lot about the run. It just kinda 'naturally' happened and I was not inside my own head. I still had a not so good 60' and my 660 MPH was about 1mph off my best 660 but there was a decent head wind too. I figure if I cut a 1.7 60' and got that 91mph 660' I would've touched very high 11's. But, they avoided me on this day as I wouldn't do any better. I believe in the haste of lining up and not over thinking things I had just started brake boosting as the 3rd amber lit up and I took off right away leading to my best run.

My last 2 runs I was too in my head again and trying too hard so they both ended in 12.49 fiascos but I only kept one of the slips:

I ended up losing my first elimination round to a new-ish Ford F150 who dialed in at 13.1. He ran a 13.4 against me after slamming on the brakes at the finish line... someone was sandbagging and it wasnt me.
It got so cold at Sonoma in the last 3 minutes I was there that you would hear people starting their cars to keep them warm. I actually had to close my hood and let Silvia warm up for about 10 minutes before my final run. Wonder if that played into my poor time and loss...

What I'm starting to realize is that Im launching incorrectly. I've gotten so used to manually putting the car into 2nd and brake boosting to 2500rpms, which is GREAT on the streets of Mexico, but not necessary at Sonoma. ESPECIALLY yesterday because they had just run the Sonoma Nationals and the track was extra sticky. I tested a few quick burst of just WOT launches from 2nd gear and to my amazement, even on a private, paved road, the car hooked really well. When I go back on the 17th I'll be doing at least 2 things differently. 1.) I'll leave a hell of a lot early and just hang out in the area if I can. Probably try leaving around 11am and grab lunch somewhere in Sonoma. 2.) I'm going to try launching from both 1st and 2nd gear, on separate runs of course, to see how well the track hooks. I truly believe my car launches better from 2nd gear with NO brake boosting. Silvia will build about 3 to 4psi of boost if I brake boost but when I let off the brake and go WOT the rpms dip and then pick back up whereas when I just WOT in 2nd the boost and rpms build more steadily.

I'm open to any advice anyone has. I know the 'get LSD' and 'get drag tires' answers but what are some things I may not be doing?

See you guys back on the 17th and I'll share my experiences and thoughts with a 'normal' launch from 1st and a 'normal' launch from 2nd where I'm not pressing the brake and gas and just going WOT on the last amber instead!

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 08-05-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: TRACK DAY COMPLETED
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #8
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Envy

So yesterday marked trip #3 this year for me and Silvia out at Sonoma Raceway in my #QuestFor11s 1/4 mile run on stock turbos and stock tires and unfortunately I cannot report that I broke that barrier...yet! I was actually pretty surprised to see so many 335i's out there yesterday. I believe I counted 6 including one other N54 Exclusive member who made the drive up with my son and I. On a side note, Lombardi's BBQ and Deli in Petaluma is delicious. I'm an avid smoker and LOVED their salt/pepper smoked pork ribs.

Outside Lombardi's

Back on topic. I met a lot of cool cats yesterday with 335i's and we were all pumping each other up, sharing advice, and passing around high-fives after each run. Great story, one guy pulls up in a pre-LCI 335i on Kosei's and Mickey Thompsons (iirc) and we share the list of mods we have and I look at him and say "...bro, you're gonna run 11's today..." He agreed that thats what he was shooting for and would be pleasantly surprised if he did but I reassured him he WAS going to run 11's today. He had mentioned that he was running 96 octane but that he had wished he has some Ethanol (long story short they say they sell Racing E85 and they dont) and I just happened to have 5 gallons I wasnt going to use quite yet. I offered to sell the fuel to the guy at cost, $2 a gallon, and he agreed but the gas canister I had wasnt able to go into the tank far enough to open the door so most of it spilled on the floor before another racer share his 'cup/funnel' with us to allow what I guess to be about 2.5 gallons of E85 into the tank. We rise of the car, he wipes it down and our group is called. At this point I zone out and lose track of the person I was sure was destined for 11's today. I rip off a 12.4 and I'm feeling better about myself when I hear "..... Khan....with a 12.1". Back in pit row I find 'Khan' and ask if that was him and before he even says a word I can tell by his grin it was him. To keep it short, he followed up the 12.1 with a 12.0, 11.8 (), 11.9, and 12.1. The E85 had burned off and he was pulling timing which led to some less than desired times. Needless to say I'm super envious since my focus right now is to run 11's but I also dont have drag tires and I kinda want it to be hard and not something I just go out and nail on my first try.

I've sent my logs off to Darrell and Ken for review from the drag strip. I believe I'm having HPFP issues which is leading to some less than desirable times for myself and I want to see if there is anything else they notice that could be holding me back. I know for sure my heat soak FMIC adds nearly 5/10ths of a second. I can only wonder how many of these 0.1 second here and there little 'gremlins' there are happening on race day that prevent me from hitting my goals. On the brighter side of things I was getting some relatively decent 60' times instead of running 2.0-2.1 I was in the 1.8-1.9 range on every one of my runs which is good. I also backed up my 12.28 with a 12.31 which reaffirms me that there is an 11.999 to be had from this car as it sits, I just need to have a unicorn run haha , and I was still the SECOND fastest N54 at the track.

My time slips:

Dash cam video of my first run:

Dash cam video of my second run:

Dash cam video of my third run:

Dash cam video of my fourth run:

I must've 'lost' the video of the fifth run losing to the Evil Genius.... ooops haha

Well, enough of my jibber jabber, here are a few pics I was able to grab after the guy I've dubbed "The Evil Genius" knocked me out during eliminations for the second week in a row, hint, he's driving the Twin Turbo F150 in the photo's below:

My son's car on the left and mine on the right

Lil Burbs

How you know you have traction

I believe the car on the right was turbo, forgot what they ran though

Diesel Power

Announcer kept saying this car is 7 second capable but due to track rules he has to stay above 8.5 or something like that. He was nailing 8.6X alll night

And here he is... The Evil Genius himself... haha

A few pics of the guys that won their first round race and were still duking it out

11sec 'Khan'

Lil Burbs

Saleen Truck?

My son, Lil Burbs, and Myself

Any who, i'll be back out there at it again on the 24th, next Wednesday, with my son. If you're free and have never come out to the drag strip before you should come out and have some fun with us!

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 08-19-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The suspension:

What a journey its been, a long, rough, motor boating ass, journey to get to a point where my Silvia can finally handle the twisties and driveways for that matter. Unknowingly to me I've been driving around on a blown suspension for the better part of the 11 months I've had this car. It was only when @mindovaanything from BoostHaus took my car out for a test drive was I even made aware that the suspension was done. Once Darrell told me it was done I did what I always do and asked his advice and this is when I learned about the MFactory YCW coilovers.

At the time, and this remains mostly true at the time of this post, there wasnt much information about this setup nor many users with them on their car. I was in. You see, I've always been the type of person that wants to try the 'new' or 'untested' stuff because honestly, I dont know if its good luck, it usually turns out pretty well when you go with a trusted vendor/manufacturer and the fact you're getting one hell of a deal doesnt hurt either. With that said, and knowing MFactory's reputation in other segments, I placed my order. I'm not going to lie, like I said my review will be un-biased, there were MONTHS of frustratingly long waiting. I even considered cancelling my pre-order and going with the tried and true KW's but that 'something' in me said no, just wait, and I did. I will add to that, that I knew these were a 'BETA' build and there would be changes and delays but I certainly didnt expect them to take as long as they did but that's water under the bridge now and I'm positive when they go into production, if they havent already, the wait wont be nearly as long and well worth it (so far).

While waiting on the coilovers just to arrive from MFactory I was able to stock pile some other bits. M3 front control arms and sway bar, and HPA Endlinks (which are now for sale). This was both a blessing and burden at the same time. This basically meant the entire front suspension was being swapped out and the only reputable shop I'd let touch my car for an alignment of this caliber was about a 30 minute drive away with all 4 wheels pointing different directions and angels. My car CRIED and SCREAMED the entire drive there and it broke my heart with every squeak the tires made.

I was lucky enough to assist BoostHaus with the install and I learned a lot over these past couple days. I feel more familiar and more intimate with Silvia than I have been with any other car I've owned. I've put some of my own blood and sweat into this suspension install and it makes it that much sweeter.

Ok, lets get to the journey of the install of the YCW's from MFactory. I'll start by saying they are eye candy. Very attractive setup and its a shame they'll be covered in muddy water and dirt over the next few months. They were packaged very nicely and NOTHING in the box moved or rattled and there was no fear of damage upon delivery. This is key when your $xxxx suspension arrives and as 'automated' or 'no brainer' as this may seem I've personally seen some supsensions delivered with piece puncturing the box or loose parts in the package moving around rattling and banging into each other.

Looking at the bits in the picture above you feel comfortable the install is straight forward but there are no instructions included. You're left to your own accord to figure things out and there are some confusing steps to the install, mostly the rear setup, that make you scratch your head. I'll quote a comment from Darrell "... the fact that its not obvious how this goes together concerns me..." and its true. Not sure if MFactory wants me to link it, or the OP of the thread, but there was another member that installed these 'incorrectly' lets say. I'm not here to bash, just telling it how it is. That 'other' thread only added to the confusion because the poster was happy with the ride and it was working; who doesnt like working? We ended up installing one side of the rear in a manner that 'felt' right and sending pics to MFactory and confirming with them that this was indeed the way it should be installed before proceeding any further. For reference, the dampener is obvious but it came with 2 washer when we only needed one because we cut the old nut off the top hat. If you dont do this you'll need to remove the metal washer that is holding the nut and use both of the new washers. The spring... this is the confusing part but here is how we have it, and confirmed to be correct by Mfactory, at this time. Starting at the top of the car, the Chassis > Black part of the height adjustment goes into the body of the car, the adjustment collar/body into the spring with a 'crush/thrust washer' or whatever its called between the collar and the spring, the spring going AROUND the hole in the lower control arm sitting on the supplied rubber gasket. I dont like metal on metal so one thing that does bug me is the fact the top of the height adjusting collar, the black part, fits loosly into the body of the car and there is nothing between the two. Alas, there is ample pressure holding the pieces together so there is no fear/worry that it will come loose but in my mind the metal on metal is going to wear over time.

The front is much simpler install but there was just as much frustration for me. I wont cover how we got the control arms in or the sway bar, there are many articles on this and if you have a question about it just shoot me a PM. The frustrating part for me is something I believe the folks that got inverted dampeners dont need to worry about and from my understanding MFactory has resolved in their updated revision of the YCW's. As you can see from the pictures below the adjustment screw is too tall and doesnt allow the strut tower brace to be secured to the car. I was advised, again by that 'other' thread that you could just cut a hole in the brace and it works fine. No. I dont cut shit on my suspension and the RIGHT thing to do in my case is to find a brace that will allow for the height of the screw. What better excuse to spend some money (wifey issues hahah) than to "HAVE" to buy an M3 strut tower brace? I'm glad we didnt go the cutting route since during my alignment the coils were set to max camber and the 'hole' would've turned into removing the brace all together which is the way I'm rolling right now anyway. That's it in regards to the front in terms of issues. I'll add that MFactory included end links (this is why my HPA's are for sale) that are better matched for the YCW's. I'm no expert by any means but from best I could tell the 'ear' that the endlink connects to on the YCW's is a little lower than KW's and there wasnt a need for such a long M3 endlink since even at its shortest setting it may not have even fit. All in all the front took a helluva lot longer to get installed but was much more straight forward and easy to do.

Its only been a day since I've had the car back and here are some of my initial thoughts on the ride. Mostly related to the YCW's. The ride is a LOT better... haha, this should be obvious. Everything from how the car 'launches' to cornering to braking. These coilovers are VERY nice, very responsive, and I'm still learning them. I havent had time to play with the 'pre-loading' yet as I dont even really understand what this does but I'm assuming this is playing into the bouncy ride I'm getting. Its not a bad bouncy like my blown struts. Its a 'race car' bouncy like when you watch Indy cars go whipping around the track and actually adds confidence into the car. I feel every bump, every rock, but at the same time its comfortable and fun. The steering is sharp and precise up until about 80mph and I'm assuming the fact Im NOT currently running any strut tower braces plays into that. With the new setup I'm able to make the tires scream around corners and actually feel them getting loose without loosing control and being able to keep the car under control all at the same time. Its controlled chaos and I fucking LOVE it. Cant wait for an LSD so I can really have some fun. There was no way I could, with any confidence, even attempt to push the car the same way with the stock sport suspension. On a drive up hwy 9 a few weeks ago I would turn the steering wheel as far as I could and it would still drift into other lanes. I'm assuming this is under-steer? Now, each turn is very precise and if that is under-steer the car is now either where it should be or even a bit of over-steering. I'm sure I'm saying that wrong but I admittedly have no idea what Im talking about I just know the car goes where I want it to rather than drifting wide now.

The front coilovers are set to about 2" from the bottom of the threads to the bottom of the height adjusting collar and the rears are at max height.

I will say that MFactory has been VERY responsive and supportive and taken every bit of input I've given them into consideration. Nothing is perfect and you have to keep in mind this is a BETA product I received and this is all part of why the set I got were not the final, production, versions of the YCW's to my knowledge. There are parts headed to me as I type from MFactory to ease the concerns I have and I believe they will be coming to others standard but I in no way speak for MFactory if the items that concerned me concern you I encourage you to ask MFactory about them. The only things I will say are missing and keeping this from being a solid setup is something (crush/thrust/delrin/plastic spacer/washer) for the rear spring height adjuster aka: black thing, to keep it from rubbing on the chassis and some instructions and/or pictures of how it should be installed and for the dampening adjuster to fit under the oem strut brace. Thats it.

I know I've made mention of several people and companies in this post but I want to give recognition to them all once again for their support, time, energy, and efforts during this install. My wife and family and my own 9-5 for their understanding. My son's car was stolen during the days it took us to figure everything out and it only added to the already tight schedule and frustration of getting Silvia back on the road but in the end everything worked out and its been one helluva fun ride (pun intended).

Special thanks to Darrell, Josh, and Brandon from BoostHaus in Fremont for their assitance, guidance, and help with the install, Michael from MFactory, the OP of the 'Other' thread for texting me back and forth with some long ass text and questions, and the guys at Motorsport Technique in Hayward.

I'll update this thread more as I learn more about how the car drives now that I actually have a suspension and hopefully shave a tenth or 2 of my 1/4mile times, get into the 11's and keep it a consitent 11 second car on stock turbos and street tires.

PICTURES:

That clearance doe.... OMFG 255's on a lowered LCI no fender rolling but I had to use 5mm spacers

Final ride height, MAYBE I'll got a little lower in the front

***UPDATE 11/25/16***

Just wanted to update the thread with some more thoughts/findings regarding the YCW's

So, unfortunately I had to order the M3 strut tower brace to fit over the long ass dampening adjustment bolt on the YCW's and when I purchased it from ECS I didnt realize that the nuts were 'closed' nuts instead of 'open', meaning, that the thread on the nuts didnt go all the way through and that there was a 'cap' of sorts on the nut which give it a nice look but didnt fit the again longer than needed bolts coming through the wheel well into the engine bay. The issue this created is that the end of the M3 srut brace that connects to the strut tower/wheel well portion of the car could not be secured into place. You can see what I'm talking about as well as hear my frustration here:

https://goo.gl/photos/5My9nb8iWVud1Vmy6

I realize that I purchased a 'beta' product but I have questioned whether or not there was an 'Alpha' release and/or whether or not the product was actually test fitted onto an E9x car prior to being release. There are and have been so many head scratching moments that just tell me either the Alpha group gave zero feedback or there wasnt an E90 in the Alpha group. I'm not here to bash, just giving honest feedback. I got a KILLER deal and I cant complain but I wont lie either. There have been many moments with this setup that have made me go

I cant blame the nuts on MFactory, this was an oversight on my behalf and a head scratcher of a decision on ECS' part. Not sure I totally understand why they choose to supply this type of nut in the 'pieced together' version of this package but it doesnt make a lot of sense since the OEM nuts are open. I would say its not a big deal since in theory you can just drill out the hole but this turned into a $50 and 3 hour ordeal for me. I should've just bought the OEM version from ECS since it would have actually saved me money, time, and headache.

For anyone wondering how I did this the tools needed are:

13mm closed end wrench
1/4 drill bit
17/64 drill bit
Thread tapping kit (handle)
M8 x 1.25 carbide tap
tapping oil
Patience

I basically held the nut in the 13mm wrench and drilled a hole through the nut from the open end, using a piece of plywood on the closed side. Once the hole was drilled through all 6 nuts I used the 17/64ths drill bit to 'counter sink' (I say that loosely) the end that was closed almost all the way down to where the threads ended and the put a bit of tapping oil in the threads of the nut and tapped away. The entire process, including 3 trips to O'Rielys, one trip to Home Depot, and a trip to PepBoys took about 3 hours with a coffee break. Here is the outcome, not bad if I say so myself:
*Banana Clipper custom M3 strut brace nuts hahahaha

If you dont know how to properly tap threads look up a YouTube video on how to do this. It may sound stupid but you can hurt/cut yourself doing this and/or break the tapping bit making it nearly impossible to get out of the nut. I'm only telling HOW I did it and do NOT suggest anyone else do this. Go spend the $11 PER nut and buy the correct ones, they look like this:

Once I got the nut situation figured out the install was pretty straight forward. There are some other frustrating moments if you're doing this by yourself. You have to hold the connecting bar that goes between the v from the firewall and the strut tower mount, in place, and adjust the length so the screw holes line up while screwing in the screw, all while leaning over the car. Its easy but certainly awkward and frustrating. My neighbor got a good laugh while smoking his cigarette watching me. Anyway, here are the pics of the strut brace:

You have to push/align these holes while screwing in the screw:

One side finished:

hmm... looks weird to me but whatever its on:

Finished Product:

I guess the nice part is that steering feels better and the OCC fits over the M3 strut brace bars with no modification. I honestly couldnt tell you I feel a huge difference in steering vs OEM but I've basically had the entire front suspension redone so which part is responsible for making what better/worse?

I've also been battling with some weird vibration coming from the front since I've put the YCW's, M3 control arms, and spacers on but it has gotten better with the addition of the strut tower brace and putting a different set of spacers on. I'm going to need to get another alignment after I put the rubber bushings on the YCW's that MFactory has sent

hopefully that will kill the rattle I'm getting from the rear as well as help with the vibration I'm getting. It was happening around 70mph then I swapped spacers and that pushed it up to about 80mph. I added the M3 strut brace, previously I had no brace, and that pushed the vibration up to about 85mph and lessen the sensation of vibrating I feel but its still there. I'll also get the wheels re-balanced, tomorrow most likely, but I've spoken to a BMW mechanic and showed him my alignment specs and he feels pretty strong that the alignment could be better.

Well, its Black Friday and football is on I'm outta here folks. Hopefully I'll make it out to Sacramento Raceway in the next couple of weeks to see if the suspension has cut any time off my 1/4. It certainly feels like it launches a hell of a lot harder.

***UPDATE 11/26/16***
I've re-read my thread and noticed I havent said many positive things about the YCW's and I just want to note that the reasoning behind this is that I havent taken the car to the track or for a drive through the hills. I'm still dialing things in and waiting to have the car re-aligned as well. I will say that the car launches much harder and doesnt squat when going WOT. The handling is 100x better than before and aside from some minor rattling in the rear, Mfactory is sending a bushing that should resolve this, the suspension makes ZERO noise. Adjusting height and dampening is easy and so far the quality of parts seems exceptional. I dont know how dampening is adjusted on other mfg sets but I like that the rears can be found under the car. It makes it a lot easier to adjust on the fly since you dont need to pull the trunk liner out to adjust. I have so much more confidence through corners and even when I push the car to lose traction I can actually 'feel' it happening and its not such a shocking moment and I can make corrections accordingly. I feel every little bump, rock, crack in the road and I'm on the 'softest' settings in terms of the dampening but I think I made a mistake and adjusted the front pre-loading when adjusting the height. I've reached out to MFactory to get their factory spring length specs so I can set this back and adjust the height the way it was meant to be done. The car drives like a race car, and to me, thats badass!

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 11-26-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: updated YCW review
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #10
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

The Brakes:

Photos are down below a bit, nothing special, but they are nice.

Not a real long story here. Installing the StopTech rotors is very simple and straight forward. Anyone could do it. Well, except me, hahaha. Let the story begin.

Boring ass regular Saturday I figured hey why not install the rotor that have been laying around the house for a couple weeks. Jack the car up, stands where theyre supposed to go, take the wheels off, remove the caliper, remove the rotor, install the rotor, swap pads (fuck those 3 prong clips and that dumb ass bar btw), reconnect the caliper, spin to check for clearance, put the wheel back on. Nice and simple right? Left side; no problem. Moving on to the front left wheel. Wheel off, remove the caliper, remove the rotor, replace the rotor, remove the rotor, replace the rotor... wait what the FUCK? I must have removed and replaced that front right rotor 15 fucking times. Each time I put the screw in to secure the rotor in place the rotor would go from | to /. I couldnt figure it out. I assumed that it wasnt lining up correctly so I began to figure out why. I'm blasting the hub with WD40, sanding parts, wire brushing others. Time after time the rotor continued to / after putting in the GD screw. Recalling several threads I accepted that perhaps something was wrong with the screw and that I could just leave that part out. I tested using just the lug nuts to hold the rotor in place. Spun the rotor and all seems fine... so I thought. Swap the pads (fuck you prongs), put the caliper back on, wheel back on, give the wheel a test spins and we get / \ /\ / \ / \ / \ / \ FML. Now I'm pissed. I'm wrenching on the lug nut on the side where the rotor isnt laying completely flat. I even go as far as to try removing the extended lugs and or dremel one side of the hub to MAKE the rotor fit. About 2 hours of this frustration and now I'm blaming the world. A couple of guys come riding through my neighborhood and they peak my interest since I know theyre not from my area. I'm watching them and I notice my trunk is open. Being that I'm sitting on the other side of the car on the ground and cant really see them I'm getting nervous as I have miscellaneous items in my trunk including shoes and camera items. I know hear them talks, which sounded extremely close to my car, which makes me jump up and go to the back of my car to see whats going on. As I start to close the trunk I notice the box with the rear rotors in it... or so I thought. Out of sheer curiosity I open the box and begin to check part numbers. In just a few minutes I'm cursing myself. Since I have a strong belief that common sense is a lost art in todays world I should have know this was going to happen. The box which I pulled the FRONT LEFT rotor out of did contain a RIGHT rotor, but it was the REAR RIGHT rotor. FML... I've spent 2 hours trying to make the rear rotor fit the front. I cant take all the blame and I wont say where I bought the rotors from but I felt commons sense would dictate that the front and rear rotors would be in boxes, together, in a pair.... nah.

Well enough laughing at me. You know the rest. Put the rotors and pads on, go weeeeee down the expressway and slam on the brakes /story

Have a good one folks

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 11-13-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Great read! Very detailed
      07-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
mindovaanything
BoostHaus
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Such a well written story, lately I've been finding the people behind the wheel to be far more interesting than the cars or builds and it's been a real pleasure getting to know Shawn over the past few months. I'm really proud to be a part of his build, looking forward to the next several trips to the track with him and continuing to help him reach his goals with the car.
      07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #13
SAADTHESAV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E90 328i

Wow it was a blast reading all that. You're really into your car! You've done a lot of performance mods, but from the exterior I would've never thought so.

By the way were you on page mill/oregon expressway - 101 S around 8:30 PM yesterday?
      07-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #14
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAADTHESAV View Post
Wow it was a blast reading all that. You're really into your car! You've done a lot of performance mods, but from the exterior I would've never thought so.

By the way were you on page mill/oregon expressway - 101 S around 8:30 PM yesterday?
I was not. The only things that 'stand out' right now are the BH stickers and the spikes on the front and rear.

Appreciate the kind words and there is plenty more to come!

www.BananaClipper.com
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Not any huge upgrades today but one I like. Smoked Side Markers. I debated getting these and had actually purchased them once before only to return them after a coworker called them 'RICE'. But that was a few months ago and I like them. The car naturally has a black/silver theme that I'm trying to stick to without going too over board and I feel like these are a nice 'upgrade' over my fading 'clear' side markers without getting too crazy.

Enjoy:

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 07-22-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #16
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Great post, well worth reading! Thank you so much for your detailed account of your car journey thus far. Subscribed for updates!
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #17
roccy_miyagi
@Dat.Vermillion.E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

wow loving the details
BMWCCA NJ
2011 E92 328xi Vermillion Red Metallic
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2016, 08:45 PM   #18
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

With track day #2 coming up right around the corner, August 3rd, I was happy to see a couple of parts come in today. I Was expecting my M3 sway bar but there was a mix up in shipping or something of the sorts. Since I'm not on any real time constraints and the parts will just sit around for a month or so anyway its no biggie... this time haha

Anyway, the x-pipe for the PE mod came and the HPA end links came as well. Its funny cause I thought the end links would be beefier. Compared to stock theyre a little thicker but not what I had envisioned in my mind.

Some no name Amazon x-pipe. Came in about a week even though it said out of stock:

HPA Endlinks, Harold - HP Autosport on the forums here can hook you up. I would make sure you check with him regarding fitment if you're thinking about getting them. I had a small bit of confusion regarding the 1M/M3 vs E90 end links for my particular setup.

Enough for tonight, enjoy the pics, see you back here on track day!

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 08-04-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #19
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Shameless bump to my own thread for a quick thank you to @[!LEFTCOAST!](contact:148854) for the killer deal on the Brushed SS 3.8" cyba tips and @[AK.](contact:264896) for picking them up during his last trip to SoCal.

You guys rock!

Still waiting on that M3 front sway bar ...

***EDIT***
YAAAAAASSSSSS, finally arrived! now just need those MFactory coil overs to arrive and the suspension upgrades for 2016 will be done

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 08-05-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:33 AM   #20
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Nothing too crazy tonight. Just a couple long exposure photos. I've never actually done any but a friend came by and showed me how easy they are.

These were taking with a T1i and the lens it came with at 30secs of exposure, no Photoshop-ing done. If you have any input/suggestions please share.

www.BananaClipper.com

Last edited by Banana Clipper; 08-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #21
3neati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Nice Shot
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States