E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 08 335i slow no boost



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
08 335i slow no boost

so i was driving my car like a normal person honestly and when i went to pass someone on the highway i noticed my car is suddenly alot slower then (jb2 and intake) when i got off the highway i had the half check engine light thing.
theres no codes but my car feels like i am driving a TSXn 4 cly this thing is slow without boost, i took the jb2 and intake off and cleared the ecu and disconnected the battery, didnt change a thing i guess im taking it to the dealer but wanted to know if anyone had this problem before
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
rollyn2night's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
429
Posts

Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to rollyn2night
Yeah, I think what you are referring to is called a limp mode. It happens sometimes when you have a tune installed. However when you took off the jb2, and restarted the car, it should have gone and started normal. I know some of the newer tunes(jb3 1.3) are less prone to having a limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
GR8DEL
Second Lieutenant
GR8DEL's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
As stated, you got a 'limp mode' Basically your car experienced some situation which caused the car to go into 'self preservation mode' and run at like 100 hp so as to not damage the engine. If you shut off the car and restart it the limp mode should go away so long as the fault is no longer present. If you get a limp mode and are running a tune, I would HIGHLY recommend BT scanning your car before taking it in for service to ensure the fault you threw wasn't related to the tune. Then take it to the dealer and have them fix whatever went wrong. Could be anything from HPFP to cam shaft carrier damage resulting in oil pressure loss....


Oh and I would also suggest doing some homework on your damn car before modifying it.... having baseline knowledge about your vehicle will save you and everyone else a little time and headache.
__________________
Black Sapphire e92 335i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
jb2 was installed for 7k miles no problems yesterday runs like poo and even with it removed runs like poo definatly not jb2 related
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
335i4u2nv
Colonel
335i4u2nv's Avatar
33
Rep
2,760
Posts

Drives: 335i e9O sL0w
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: im right behind u

iTrader: (0)

funny thing i have the same problem. i had jb2hhr, took it all out and took my car into service. Got HPFP and i guess the update. Reinstalled intake and jb2hhr. Got half engine and proceeded to remove the R and then a H and an H and finally jb2 and still got half engine whenever i got to 4-5k rpm and under boost. So now all i have is the intake and today the same thing happened. What i did notice is my diverter valve is much louder then ever before. idk what the problem is but i order BTool and JB3.
__________________
"dat ***** is doin like 2 bills."

Translation: That black guy is doing 200 miles per hour
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Terrance28
Brigadier General
Terrance28's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
3,336
Posts

Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX

iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyn2night View Post
Yeah, I think what you are referring to is called a limp mode. It happens sometimes when you have a tune installed. However when you took off the jb2, and restarted the car, it should have gone and started normal. I know some of the newer tunes(jb3 1.3) are less prone to having a limp mode.
Please stop giving out bad information. You can get a limp mode while you are stock as well, you don't have to have a tune and it won't necessarily go away because you take the tune off. Sometimes you can stop the car and restart it and the limp mode goes away. OP what code did you find when you scanned the car?
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
lauer87
Lieutenant
lauer87's Avatar
5
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a fuel pump to me
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
22
Rep
1,313
Posts

Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

iTrader: (-1)

Send a message via AIM to Dubbedoutbimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuratech View Post
jb2 was installed for 7k miles no problems yesterday runs like poo and even with it removed runs like poo definatly not jb2 related
I have a direct answer and easy fix but then I read your username..........that is like against some law isnt lol maybe the JB2 just isnt meant for the Acura LMFAO
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
I have a direct answer and easy fix but then I read your username..........that is like against some law isnt lol maybe the JB2 just isnt meant for the Acura LMFAO
hehehe i drive a bmw 335 but i work at acura there easy to fix
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Please stop giving out bad information. You can get a limp mode while you are stock as well, you don't have to have a tune and it won't necessarily go away because you take the tune off. Sometimes you can stop the car and restart it and the limp mode goes away. OP what code did you find when you scanned the car?
i got no codes when scanned stock now and when i still get on it limp mode comes on and to feels slow and sluggish and feels like no boost i ordered the bt scanner looks like im clearing codes and sending it in ill drive my honda in the mean time its faster and less agravating
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
335e92tx
Major
335e92tx's Avatar
79
Rep
1,308
Posts

Drives: 07-335e92 - monaco blue
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Check the vacuum lines to the wg solenoids
__________________
JBSPEED|MIRO-M6 reps|BMS JB3 V2.0 & DCI |VK Motorwerks DPs|BSH Oil Catch Can |Wavetrac |ETS IC
replacement FP #4 installed on 5/05/15 @105K - probably more sig updates to follow :/
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
GR8DEL
Second Lieutenant
GR8DEL's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
To my knowledge it is impossible to have a limp mode and have no codes thrown. What scanner you using? I'd suggest the BT tool
__________________
Black Sapphire e92 335i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #13
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8DEL View Post
To my knowledge it is impossible to have a limp mode and have no codes thrown. What scanner you using? I'd suggest the BT tool
as of right now its a generic snap on scanner i ordered the bt scanner to clear the tuner codes anyway maybe my snap on scanner is not good enough for my bmw
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
iheartsole
Brigadier General
iheartsole's Avatar
No_Country
57
Rep
4,929
Posts

Drives: 08 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (2)

does the procede have limp mode problems when installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
ok got my bt scanner yesterday and this tool is awesome i had codes 2A17,
2F80, and 30FF now where are those hidden tuner codes the shadow codes look like a pending code they use for all other manufactures
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
car went in on tuesday morning they called me today and told me i have 2 blown turbos and there replacing my hpfp for my long cranks i been getting, thats my 2nd pump in 9 months and turbos blown at 7100 miles, something sound strange with my car or is that one of the perks of driving a 50k car
__________________
08 335i sparkle gray sdn JB3, H&R sport springs, 30% tint, 6000k headlight bulbs, 8000k Hid Fogs, oem trunk spoiler, roof spolier, oem front lip, 19in linera corsa dyna's polished
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
Psyrick
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i 4 door stock
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4u2nv View Post
What i did notice is my diverter valve is much louder then ever before. idk what the problem is but i order BTool and JB3.
Sounds to me like waste actuators came out of adjustment. Look up "N54 wastegate rattle" and you'll find it's a pretty common problem and comes from mechanical wear on the actuator linkage. The diverter valve in the N54 is actually so quiet you'll likely never hear it, but the wastegate's actuators can become loose and sloppy. In which case the gate flap can be heard clapping about the opening as you come off the gas. This means that the gate is not closing all the way, thus robbing your turbo of potential boost.

Another possibility is that the vacuum line that operates the wastegate actuators has ruptured leaving the gate locked in the open position. For me, this is not the problem as I checked my vacuum lines and found them still holding vacuum half an hour after the car has been shut-down.

I never tuned mine, but the previous owner recommended I get a JB4 while pitching the sale to me, so I think he had one in there. The car has had the rattles since I got it and just recently have I been measuring boost and find it just barely pops over the zero line during accelerations below 3500RPM and only momentarily spikes over 5psi during acceleration over 4000RPM.

The rear turbo's actuator rod can be adjusted from under the hood and all that is needed is 2 small open-end wrenches: a 10mm and a 4mm. On the other hand, the front turbo's actuator rod is hidden snugly between the engine block and turbo charger. Reaching in, I couldn't even touch it to feel for looseness, so you'll have to go so far as to pull the front turbo right off the engine to make a the adjustment. In a few weeks I'll be doing this job to mine and I'll post results.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #18
CoralRed335XI
Lieutenant
6
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ,VA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrick View Post
Sounds to me like waste actuators came out of adjustment. Look up "N54 wastegate rattle" and you'll find it's a pretty common problem and comes from mechanical wear on the actuator linkage. The diverter valve in the N54 is actually so quiet you'll likely never hear it, but the wastegate's actuators can become loose and sloppy. In which case the gate flap can be heard clapping about the opening as you come off the gas. This means that the gate is not closing all the way, thus robbing your turbo of potential boost.

Another possibility is that the vacuum line that operates the wastegate actuators has ruptured leaving the gate locked in the open position. For me, this is not the problem as I checked my vacuum lines and found them still holding vacuum half an hour after the car has been shut-down.

I never tuned mine, but the previous owner recommended I get a JB4 while pitching the sale to me, so I think he had one in there. The car has had the rattles since I got it and just recently have I been measuring boost and find it just barely pops over the zero line during accelerations below 3500RPM and only momentarily spikes over 5psi during acceleration over 4000RPM.

The rear turbo's actuator rod can be adjusted from under the hood and all that is needed is 2 small open-end wrenches: a 10mm and a 4mm. On the other hand, the front turbo's actuator rod is hidden snugly between the engine block and turbo charger. Reaching in, I couldn't even touch it to feel for looseness, so you'll have to go so far as to pull the front turbo right off the engine to make a the adjustment. In a few weeks I'll be doing this job to mine and I'll post results.
I hope he fixed this problem 6 years ago.
__________________
2008 E92 335XI, Space Gray on Coral/Fox Red Hybrid M3 seats, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, iPod.
Mods: Fox Red M3 seats up front, KW V1, ER CP + TIAL BOV.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
msjt
Private
27
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: queens

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed335XI View Post
I hope he fixed this problem 6 years ago.
Obviously OP has been waiting on his post lol His car has been sitting ever since.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
acuratech
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 08 335i 4dr
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
93 honda delsol  [0.00]
08 335i sedan  [0.00]
Lol yeah dealer fixed it I went through 2 sets of turbos and 5 fuel pumps I think in. 3 years I traded that mess in about 5 years ago
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
Crimson335iVert
Private
Crimson335iVert's Avatar
0
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i Vert
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mid Left Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuratech View Post
ok got my bt scanner yesterday and this tool is awesome i had codes 2A17,
2F80, and 30FF now where are those hidden tuner codes the shadow codes look like a pending code they use for all other manufactures
So, what was the 2A17 fault??
__________________
2013 Focus ST3 Turbo TB
2008 Crimson Red 335i Vert
2006 F150 Super Crew
2005 Wrangler TJ
2005 HD Night Train
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST