E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Dealer run-around on tech service bulletins

05-28-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
msm335

Drives: '08 BMW 335xi

Dealer run-around on tech service bulletins

First of all, I just joined but have been reading the board since I bought my car a year and a half ago. The board has been really helpful and I want to thank everyone in advance for help.

I own a 2008 335xi sedan. I took it in to BMW of Manhattan for two issues covered in tech service bulletins. First, the car jerks when starting from a stop when its cold (auto transmission). This is the second time I have taken it in for this issue. This time I found a tech service bulletin that described the issue. (It wasn't fixed the first time but I didn't point out the tech bulletin--which of course I shouldn't need to do if they were doing their job ). Second, is the infamous turbo lag issue. While I don't notice turbo lag, I have never driven another 335 and my car was built in 11/08 which is in the range that supposedly has this issue. So I want the car reprogrammed to fix booth issues.

First the SA told me that "there are no open campaigns" on these issues which seems like complete BS. I got upset and threatened to take my business elsewhere. I then talked to the manager and he told me that they could do it but I'd have to leave my car there for a few days since the reprogramming is time consuming (done overnight with frequent issues, failed modules, etc). I haven't yet left my car (I need it this weekend).

So my questions are:

What is BMW's policy on tech bulletins? I would asume that they are supposed to perform these fixes for any cars with these issues.

Is the reprogramming really that time consuming and has BMW, in fact, rolled out a new ECU programming system as they told me?

Any tri-state area BMW dealers (preferably with public transportation access to NYC) that actually offer good service? I used to take my car to Prestige in northen NJ and they were great. So far, BMW of Manhattan SUCKS in comparison but I live and work in Manhattan now so it would be tough to take it to Prestige.

Thanks for any help!
      05-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 E90 325xi

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
This approach worked for me:

My first trip to my local dealer, I mentioned that I had seen a TSB concerning a Progman update on the internet and got a lot of static (can't trust the info, etc.), although they did the work. This did, in fact, take several days as my ECU crashed during the update and they had to order a replacement.

Since then, if I'm experiencing an issue that's been covered, I never mention the TSB. I just describe the problem(s) I'm having, making sure to cover the symptoms described in the bulletin. This has worked w/o issue (replaced increasingly noisy Bridgestone runflats at no cost at 9600 miles, and replaced driver door armrest due to pealing plastic).

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
DPritchett is offline   United_States
      05-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
cobradac
First Lieutenant

Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPritchett View Post
This approach worked for me:

My first trip to my local dealer, I mentioned that I had seen a TSB concerning a Progman update on the internet and got a lot of static (can't trust the info, etc.), although they did the work. This did, in fact, take several days as my ECU crashed during the update and they had to order a replacement.

Since then, if I'm experiencing an issue that's been covered, I never mention the TSB. I just describe the problem(s) I'm having, making sure to cover the symptoms described in the bulletin. This has worked w/o issue (replaced increasingly noisy Bridgestone runflats at no cost at 9600 miles, and replaced driver door armrest due to pealing plastic).
This is probably the best approach until and unless you have a good rapport with your SA/dealer. I get by with actually showing the SIB (Service Information Bulletins - not TSBs), but they know I pay for a subscription to get them and that I offer help to others in this regard.

As for the statement "no open campaigns" the OP mentioned the dealer told him, that may be tecnically accurate. A SIB does not necessarily indicate a RECALL or SERVICE ACTION (two BMW terms for notification and action) which to the dealer means "open campaign". So again without a good rapport with SA it is best just to word your symptom just like the SIB states (customer may complain of...) and hope they are sharp enough to actually read their service bulletins to take care of you.

If this fails I would look for another dealer. I did this once early in my ownership and used it as leverage to let the dealer that I bought the car from know I knew what was going on and from that I developed a better relationship, all the while behaving in a polite and professional manner so as not to put them off.
      05-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
SoCalTech
Captain

Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm335 View Post
First the SA told me that "there are no open campaigns" on these issues which seems like complete BS.

What is BMW's policy on tech bulletins? I would asume that they are supposed to perform these fixes for any cars with these issues.

Is the reprogramming really that time consuming and has BMW, in fact, rolled out a new ECU programming system as they told me?
They are correct, those are not campaigns.
You have read the bulletin, correct? Then you will se the policy at the bottom of it. "On the basis of a customer complaint only" or something like that.
Yes, programming is that time consuming, and there is a new programming system that we have to use that has tons of problems.
SoCalTech is offline   United_States
      05-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: too broke for a BMW

yep...it sometimes can take quite a well depending on the car, how long its been since it was last programmed, options on the car, and if/when it dies during programming. the new system while sometimes good...sometimes its worse than bad(if thats possible haha)...
volkswackin is offline   United_States
      05-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
BKV122
Major

Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
If you bought your car from BMW of Manhattan then you should get a loaner for the days it would be serviced. But if ya wanna come out to LI to a dealer i would suggest Rallye BMW in westbury, i hear good and bad things for every dealer but Rallye has been the one i've been using since BMW of Oyster bay shut down, and since i bought my car up in Westchester i dont bring it up there to get it serviced b/c i got Rallye which is 15min from me, and they have a shuttle to the LIRR train to get back to the city or were ever(Just ask what times the shuttle is offered)

Monaco Blue 330xi - Terra Interior/6-MT/Sport/Premium/Cold/CSL's/M3 Spoiler Lip/Black Kidney's
BKV122 is offline   United_States
      06-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
msm335

Drives: '08 BMW 335xi

Thanks for responses

Guys, thanks for helping me out with this.

Mike