E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Another Bomb Plot

08-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #45
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Yeah, I do, but in England, I was thinking in the U.S. context where it is not offensive i think, because it is not used, it is a British term. I wasn't saying the Indians look down on Pakistanis, the British lady I work with is white, the implication from her is that white british society differentiates amongst British's asian society, and looks down upon Pakistanis. As far as dress, I think Muslims are more conservative. I agree with a lot of what you write btw.
Muslims are definitely more conservative in their dress and this has become more of an issue in recent years. My wife and I were talking about our school days and she had a few muslim girls in her junior school class, none of whom wore the hijab. Now almost all muslim women wear the hijab and a great many also wear traditional clothing as well. What does trouble me is that some women in the UK are actually wearing burkas, which may be their choice, but to me - with my western perspective- I can't imagine why they would do so if they had the freedom to choose.

I miss understood you, but I do think it's true that there is as much racism within ethnic minorities as within society as a whole.

The problem is that if muslims do not integrate they alienate white people who in turn start to 'look down on them'. I think many other minority groups avoid this by embracing the wider British society.
      08-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #46
E90-4life
auto pilot

Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw

Im leaving aug 31, and i'd hate to not be able to bring my shampoo, toothpaste, hair supplies. I know i shouldnt be selfish because they are doing it to protect us, but lil ol me wants my damn hair supplies!
Two words; Fed Ex.
      08-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #47
CMD

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
If they get in - I'm going to come over as an illegal immigrant
If you need a place to hide, PM me and I'll hook you up!

08-19-2006, 02:50 AM   #48
CMD

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
I'm heading straight for his house - we're going to have some beers and shoot the breeze
And you'll be welcome, of course!