E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Thinking about getting a DSLR...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Diggy Diggy
First Lieutenant
Diggy Diggy's Avatar
8
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thinking about getting a DSLR...

I'm thinking about getting the Nikon D60 DSLR. I currently only have a point and shoot, and it's time for a severe upgrade. I'm not a master photographer by any means and I probably only know how to use 1/10th of its features, lol. But I got to start somewhere and thought this would be as good as any. The lens it comes with has a built in stabilizer.

I'll be using this for photos of family, friends, cars, random scenery and I may start to branch off into taking pics for local events.

Here a link to it at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830113088

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations? Point me in the right direction!

Last edited by Diggy Diggy; 06-06-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
CollinsE90's Avatar
United_States
227
Rep
1,927
Posts

 
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: street corner checking profits

iTrader: (0)

i used to work for Circuit City and i would highly recomend a Canon DSLR over the nikon from personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
The Cthulhu
Banned
2
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

I have a Canon rebel that I got an unbelievable price on, but my dad has a Nikon D series DSLR.

The main difference between the two lines is that Canon uses a CMOS sensor while Nikon uses a CCD sensor. I used to have a great scientific journal article comparing the two, but can't seem to find it. You could probably find some comparisons of the two, but IIRC, CCD interpolation has a LOT of advantages over CMOS.

In theory, CMOS sensors are marginally better, but CCD devices have been used in optics to such an extent that VERY good gain software algorithms have been created. I don't think you can go wrong with the Nikon. Also, lenses are cheaper for the Nikon.

By the way: lenses with stabilized optics are amazing! My telephoto with servo corrected optics is really cool, you hardly ever need a tripod. Shy away from anything with in-camera stabilization. It makes more sense from an engineering standpoint to stabilize the LENS optics. Also, a lot of manufacturers use software to fake image stabilization...

I'd say, unless you want to get into the nitty-gritty and do some in-depth comparisons, just buy the Nikon D60, it's an amazing camera, has a faster sensor time, and has stabilized lenses available.

PM me if you intent to go nuts with your research before buying, and I'll dig up the comparisons I did. But seriously, Nikon came out ahead. The only reason I got the Rebel was the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

There's not much really separating Nikon and Canon now, Nikon used to have weaker sensors but they've long since caught up.

I like the Canon EOS lens system a little better because IMO it's a little more streamlined in terms of offerings. Canon's L lenses are the gold standard (look at any major sporting event and you will see a sea of white-bodied lenses) but Nikon's top offerings are great, too.

In terms of image quality there really isn't a difference any more.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
scollins's Avatar
No_Country
35
Rep
2,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post
I have a Canon rebel that I got an unbelievable price on, but my dad has a Nikon D series DSLR.

The main difference between the two lines is that Canon uses a CMOS sensor while Nikon uses a CCD sensor. I used to have a great scientific journal article comparing the two, but can't seem to find it. You could probably find some comparisons of the two, but IIRC, CCD interpolation has a LOT of advantages over CMOS.

In theory, CMOS sensors are marginally better, but CCD devices have been used in optics to such an extent that VERY good gain software algorithms have been created. I don't think you can go wrong with the Nikon. Also, lenses are cheaper for the Nikon.

By the way: lenses with stabilized optics are amazing! My telephoto with servo corrected optics is really cool, you hardly ever need a tripod. Shy away from anything with in-camera stabilization. It makes more sense from an engineering standpoint to stabilize the LENS optics. Also, a lot of manufacturers use software to fake image stabilization...

I'd say, unless you want to get into the nitty-gritty and do some in-depth comparisons, just buy the Nikon D60, it's an amazing camera, has a faster sensor time, and has stabilized lenses available.

PM me if you intent to go nuts with your research before buying, and I'll dig up the comparisons I did. But seriously, Nikon came out ahead. The only reason I got the Rebel was the price.
Funny, my Nikon D300 has a CMOS sensor, not a CCD. It depends on what level of Nikon you buy whether it has CCD or CMOS. D40's and D60's have CCDs, D300's and up have CMOS. Also, getting a D40/D60 will limit you to only AF-S lenses if you want autofocus. AF-D lenses will be relegated to manual focus only, since neither the D40 nor the D60 have in-body AF motors.
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
scollins's Avatar
No_Country
35
Rep
2,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Canon's L lenses are the gold standard (look at any major sporting event and you will see a sea of white-bodied lenses) but Nikon's top offerings are great, too.

Not exactly a sea of white anymore, at least at some events:

Picture from a December Sports Illustrated issue. The count is 11 Nikons and 11 Canons. But what you don't see if anything BUT Nikon and Canon. No Sony, no Olympus, no Pentax, no etc. Just Nikon and Canon.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
vachss
Captain
15
Rep
791
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (1)

It's silly to be threatened by the advantages of either Nikon or Canon. Both have everything you could want for general use, but each one has a few special purpose offerings that the other can't match.

My regular shooting kit consists of a Canon 24/1.4, a 65mm MPE macro and a 300/4IS - none of which has an equivalent in the Nikon world. But then, I'm mostly a nature/wildlife photographer. If I was more a landscape photographer it's hard to argue with the superiority of Nikon wide zooms like the 14-24 (though the new Canon 17mm TS-E does look promising). Camera bodies, despite all the noise about better Nikon AF systems or better low cost - high resolution sensors from Canon, are a wash between the two systems.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
TWiTCHY
Lieutenant Colonel
TWiTCHY's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,762
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

I think you'll be fine as long as you don't go Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Sigma, etc. Stick with Nikon or Canon.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Diggy Diggy
First Lieutenant
Diggy Diggy's Avatar
8
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
My friend from work and my cousin both have Canons, however I think I'm going to go with the Nikon D60. Which is the biggest SD card I can get with the fastest write times?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
TWiTCHY
Lieutenant Colonel
TWiTCHY's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,762
Posts

 
Drives: '13 X3 35i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

You might want to take a look at these charts but unfortunately there isn't one for the D60 or D40.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-8531
I would just go with the Sandisk Extreme IIIs, but buy them at a reputable site. Hell, go get them at a retail store. There's a ton of fake Extreme IIIs out there on the net.

You sure with the D60? I would get a Nikon body that can auto focus with lenses other than AF-S. Nikon has a great selection of non AF-S lenses that you can get for cheap on your local Craigslist site
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Diggy Diggy
First Lieutenant
Diggy Diggy's Avatar
8
Rep
341
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
You sure with the D60? I would get a Nikon body that can auto focus with lenses other than AF-S. Nikon has a great selection of non AF-S lenses that you can get for cheap on your local Craigslist site
I'm leaning towards the Cannon now... lol

They have so many similar specs, they get confusing after a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
BMW F22's Avatar
United_States
216
Rep
8,404
Posts

 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

iTrader: (8)

When I was looking at getting my camera last year I went through the same thing. I obsessed over whether to go with Nikon or Canon. The Nikon D60 and D80 were good but I heard they had focusing problems (wasn't a huge deal to me though). I wanted to get the D90 but it was almost twice the price of an XSi then. Out of everyone I knew that's into photography, only one guy shot Canon and he doesn't do it professionally. Everyone else told me to go Nikon (obvious bias there).

So after all that I said enough is enough and just went with Canon and never looked back. Why? Well I've never had a Canon camera and have always wanted one. I like the pix/colors/etc that their cameras can produce. Even if I have gone with Nikon it would still have been fine because both of them are great. I just have a little childhood bias toward Canon in the end. BTW I might be selling my XSi soon if you're interested (about 8-9 months old and mainly used at some events which were few). lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
SDchargers
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: Galant VR-4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Spend a little more change and go with a Canon T1i. Depending how serious you are about getting into dSLRs as a hobby or just learning, this will keep you busy for a while. As Nikon's D90 is a few steps ahead of the D60 in terms of having additional HD video Canon's T1i would be the direct competitor. Do it right the first time.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #14
sandyeggo325i
Captain
sandyeggo325i's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
631
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e90 | 09 Accord V6 EXL
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to sandyeggo325i
Go Chargers!
__________________
SG e90 | Black Dakota Leather | ZPP | ZSP | 19" BBS LM Reps | Steptronic
iDrive | Aluminum Trim | Xenon | CF Roundels | 15% Tint
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
scorcherjf
Captain
scorcherjf's Avatar
11
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
kind of in the same boat here... not sure if I should get the canon t1i or the nikon d90... or the nikon d5000. or maybe the canon 50d... but i kind of want a movie mode... argh so difficult!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
I'm leaning towards the Cannon now... lol

They have so many similar specs, they get confusing after a while.
Go play with them both and pick the one that feels best to you. You can't go wrong either way.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
golfinz
Lieutenant
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
kind of in the same boat here... not sure if I should get the canon t1i or the nikon d90... or the nikon d5000. or maybe the canon 50d... but i kind of want a movie mode... argh so difficult!
I narrowed down my two choices between the d5000 and the d90, heres my take:

-D5000 is, in all practical sense, a d90 in a d60 body, with a swivel screen and a less expensive lens.

I went with the D90 because I wanted a little better/more versatile lens than the stock 18-55mm lens that came with the d5000. If I bought the D5000 body only and the 18-105mm lens separately, which comes stock on the D90, the D90 and the D5000 are the same price. Both the D90 and D5000 have video abilities. The D90 can accept more lenses, however, over the D5000

I went with Nikon because my buddies shoot with them and love them. I find that is how much people pick the brands is by what their friends have/like. I love the D90 because I know I will never grow out of it
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
Septro
Banned
28
Rep
1,649
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e90 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: C-Bus, OH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
..I love the D90 because I know I will never grow out of it
Famous last words The Photography bug is almost as bad if not moreso than the modding bug for cars. Camera bodies come and go - its the glass that will last you a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
scorcherjf
Captain
scorcherjf's Avatar
11
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
I narrowed down my two choices between the d5000 and the d90, heres my take:

-D5000 is, in all practical sense, a d90 in a d60 body, with a swivel screen and a less expensive lens.

I went with the D90 because I wanted a little better/more versatile lens than the stock 18-55mm lens that came with the d5000. If I bought the D5000 body only and the 18-105mm lens separately, which comes stock on the D90, the D90 and the D5000 are the same price. Both the D90 and D5000 have video abilities. The D90 can accept more lenses, however, over the D5000

I went with Nikon because my buddies shoot with them and love them. I find that is how much people pick the brands is by what their friends have/like. I love the D90 because I know I will never grow out of it
Well the main differences between the T1i and the D90 that I'm battling is the D90's obvious better and brighter viewfinder - pentaprism 96% coverage 0.94x magnification vs. the t1i with only a pentamirror and 95% coverage with 0.87x magnification.

But then the T1i has 14 bit processing vs. Nikon's 12 bit, and the D90 has no mirror lock up. T1i also has better video recording.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
golfinz
Lieutenant
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcherjf View Post
Well the main differences between the T1i and the D90 that I'm battling is the D90's obvious better and brighter viewfinder - pentaprism 96% coverage 0.94x magnification vs. the t1i with only a pentamirror and 95% coverage with 0.87x magnification.

But then the T1i has 14 bit processing vs. Nikon's 12 bit, and the D90 has no mirror lock up. T1i also has better video recording.
Well go hold both and see what feels best in your hands then...there really isn't a "bad" choice between Nikon or Canon, just preference.

I do like the fact that the D90 has the AF built-in, where the d5000 does not.

edit: Here are a few comparisons:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...ikon-D90.shtml

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...T1i-500D.shtml
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
dcstep
Major General
United_States
65
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Is the OP still undecided?? I'm curious to read which way he went.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #22
golfinz
Lieutenant
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (3)

LOL...I didn't even check the post date...it was awhile ago
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST