E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > The ultimate electrical gremlin?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Scrib
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Indiana

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

The ultimate electrical gremlin?

Hey all. Have a rather interesting problem with my 335 coupe and was hoping someone has an idea, though, etc.

Bought my coupe used (2007) back in December with just short of 10K on the clock.

In the last two weeks, I've been having what I would consider electrical issues with the car. Basically, at random (although becoming more common it seems), my seat belt extender, windows and outside mirrors all stop working. It may be days before they start working again and will work fine and then go out again. Today, I couldn't get the windows up and drove through a thunderstorm. Or I'll fold my mirrors and they won't unfold. Not good.

I've tried everything and took the car to the dealer once, and of course they couldn't replicate the problem. They did reprogram the FRM which they say controls all those functions. No luck.

I took it back in today and showed them the issue (it was happening all weekend and was fortunately still there at the dealer) and they immediately started to do a scan. They did comment that they've never seen this before (go figure).

Any ideas? I'm guessing this is going to be tough to figure out. Was looking to the community to get thoughts.
Scrib is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
HighVoltage
.
 
HighVoltage's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .

Posts: 867
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
Hey all. Have a rather interesting problem with my 335 coupe and was hoping someone has an idea, though, etc.

Bought my coupe used (2007) back in December with just short of 10K on the clock.

In the last two weeks, I've been having what I would consider electrical issues with the car. Basically, at random (although becoming more common it seems), my seat belt extender, windows and outside mirrors all stop working. It may be days before they start working again and will work fine and then go out again. Today, I couldn't get the windows up and drove through a thunderstorm. Or I'll fold my mirrors and they won't unfold. Not good.

I've tried everything and took the car to the dealer once, and of course they couldn't replicate the problem. They did reprogram the FRM which they say controls all those functions. No luck.

I took it back in today and showed them the issue (it was happening all weekend and was fortunately still there at the dealer) and they immediately started to do a scan. They did comment that they've never seen this before (go figure).

Any ideas? I'm guessing this is going to be tough to figure out. Was looking to the community to get thoughts.
FRM is the first thing I wouldve looked at as well as those are all located on the same LINbus trunk. Have they tried replacing the FRM? Did they check to make sure the common reference is secured (i.e grounded properly)?

I dont know how much information they can pull from the FRM but LINbus(2.0) does have a fairly decent diagnostic suite (transport, signal and user).

After that a check of the LINbus trunk itself to see if there is an issue with the physical layer (e.g wire is frayed and shorting) but that would probably take alot of tearing things apart.
Attached Images
 
HighVoltage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Scrib
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Indiana

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Hey, thanks for the info.

Didn't get any details but they did order the footwell module. I didn't get specifics on if they determined it was found defective or if this is the first step to try and "fix" things.

Fingers crossed.
__________________
2007 335i Coupe
Montego Blue Metallic/Black
Premium, Heater Seats, CA, Active Steering, PDC, Logic 7
Scrib is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Scrib
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Indiana

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Well, I'm pretty much at a loss here.

The dealer ended up ordering the footwell module and after replacing it, the problem did not go away.

So they ended up disconnecting everything that is attached to the footwell module and "determined" that the culprit was the passenger side mirror motor. They said that if one device goes down, it takes everything else down???

So I got the car back and everything was working great. That is until this morning when the problem came back, identical to before.

So now I fear I have a bigger issue on my hands, something that may never get resolved.
__________________
2007 335i Coupe
Montego Blue Metallic/Black
Premium, Heater Seats, CA, Active Steering, PDC, Logic 7
Scrib is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (1)

suppose it could be related to consumer shut down..though highly unlikely. hmm ill have to think on this one a bit...
volkswackin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
HighVoltage
.
 
HighVoltage's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .

Posts: 867
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
Well, I'm pretty much at a loss here.

The dealer ended up ordering the footwell module and after replacing it, the problem did not go away.

So they ended up disconnecting everything that is attached to the footwell module and "determined" that the culprit was the passenger side mirror motor. They said that if one device goes down, it takes everything else down???
Its possible depending on how the transceiver failed. Its a single wire bus.

Quote:
So I got the car back and everything was working great. That is until this morning when the problem came back, identical to before.

So now I fear I have a bigger issue on my hands, something that may never get resolved.
Take it back in. This is going to take some work to isolate. It could be a systemic issue (e.g Mechanical->Electrical). Good luck.
__________________
Not only will it kill you it will hurt the whole time while you're dying.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
HighVoltage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Scrib
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NW Indiana

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

They've had it now for almost a week. They think it was a bad connection at the junction (fuse) box. They've made the repair and have asked to keep it for a few days to test.

Fingers crossed.
__________________
2007 335i Coupe
Montego Blue Metallic/Black
Premium, Heater Seats, CA, Active Steering, PDC, Logic 7
Scrib is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
aerodyte
New Member
 
aerodyte's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post

They said that if one device goes down, it takes everything else down???
What the??? Remember the old style christmas tree lights? One bulb goes out, the whole thing doesn't work? And this is progress?

My car is at the dealer right now because my central locking will not work. But its strange because the remote will not lock or unlock the car (except for the trunk), and the lock switch in the dash will lock but not unlock. Would this FRM cause this behavior? It's really embarassing. I'm driving up to the gas station. To get myself out of the car, I have to lower my window, take out the steel key and unlock the door from the outside while I hang out my window. People are looking at me. hmm I'm wondering what they are thinking? BMW aka (Bayerisher Mist Wagen)
aerodyte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Neon21db
First Lieutenant
 
Neon21db's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 328xi coupe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib View Post
Well, I'm pretty much at a loss here.

The dealer ended up ordering the footwell module and after replacing it, the problem did not go away.

So they ended up disconnecting everything that is attached to the footwell module and "determined" that the culprit was the passenger side mirror motor. They said that if one device goes down, it takes everything else down???

So I got the car back and everything was working great. That is until this morning when the problem came back, identical to before.

So now I fear I have a bigger issue on my hands, something that may never get resolved.
How much were you charged by the dealer so far?
Neon21db is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
HighVoltage
.
 
HighVoltage's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .

Posts: 867
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyte View Post
What the??? Remember the old style christmas tree lights? One bulb goes out, the whole thing doesn't work? And this is progress?
Yes it is. I can also recall when you always had to use a key.

The alternative, with the same feature set, would be a star topology where each device has its own wire(s) back to the Master. A bus is significantly more reliable, cheaper and easier to maintain than a star topology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyte View Post
My car is at the dealer right now because my central locking will not work. But its strange because the remote will not lock or unlock the car (except for the trunk), and the lock switch in the dash will lock but not unlock. Would this FRM cause this behavior?
Yes its possible but its not the only component in the process.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Not only will it kill you it will hurt the whole time while you're dying.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
http://www.garagejournal.com/
HighVoltage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST