E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > LSDs with Shorter Gears



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
spyder210
New Member
spyder210's Avatar
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Syosset, New York

iTrader: (0)

LSDs with Shorter Gears

Hi All,

I recently purchased a pre-owned 335i coupe 6MT and have been doing some research on LSDs. I noticed that Dinan is selling Quaife LSDs with stock 3.08 gears. Can you recommend any LSDs that come with more aggressive gearing (3.46, 3.90, etc.)? Any idea if Dinan will be offering one?

Thanks,
Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
zsapphire7
Colonel
zsapphire7's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
2,312
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (21)

they should be able to do it... I wouldnt recommend anything over 3.46 however. I kinda miss the 3.08 after i switched to 3.46 because of the loss in gas milage.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
spyder210
New Member
spyder210's Avatar
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Syosset, New York

iTrader: (0)

Thank you. I will call and ask them. How much of a performance increase did you experience going to shorter gears? Btw nice color...mine's the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
jay spec
_________________
jay spec's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
3,585
Posts

 
Drives: a 7-seater
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to jay spec
not sure if dinan will offer it, but you definitely have that option with the quaife. you can contact harold at hpautowerks for more information.
__________________




Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
dlbrooks18's Avatar
51
Rep
3,583
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay spec View Post
not sure if dinan will offer it, but you definitely have that option with the quaife. you can contact harold at hpautowerks for more information.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
they should be able to do it... I wouldnt recommend anything over 3.46 however. I kinda miss the 3.08 after i switched to 3.46 because of the loss in gas milage.
I agree. I had the chance to drive one the other day and it was great fun, but after I ran it side by side, my 3.08 gears held up pretty well. I actually pulled a bit and the 3.46 car had more mods.
I would agree that the shorter gears will help with a high reving NA car, but with a car with this much torque at the lower RPMs, I think that the 3.08s are much better.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
37
Rep
812
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

PM me for more information on LSD's..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
scheherazade
Major
17
Rep
1,467
Posts

 
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DC metro area

iTrader: (8)

You need a ring and pinion to change your final drive ration, not an LSD.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
zsapphire7
Colonel
zsapphire7's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
2,312
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder210 View Post
Thank you. I will call and ask them. How much of a performance increase did you experience going to shorter gears? Btw nice color...mine's the same.
Its almost equivalent to shifting all the gears down one.

6th = 5th, 4=3rd, 3rd =2nd.

3.46/3.08 =~1.12 or 12% increase in tq/gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
spyder210
New Member
spyder210's Avatar
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Syosset, New York

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for your help guys! I will be asking Dinan and then HP Autowerks if I need to. I really want an LSD and shorter gears...two birds with one stone!

Thanks again,
Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
621
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 135i  [2.75]
Like others have said talk to Harold at HP Autowerks. I had my LSD with a 3.46 final drive installed there a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with the result. Here's the write up I did: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269389
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Rylen
Colonel
Rylen's Avatar
59
Rep
2,775
Posts

 
Drives: White 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orange County CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I agree. I had the chance to drive one the other day and it was great fun, but after I ran it side by side, my 3.08 gears held up pretty well. I actually pulled a bit and the 3.46 car had more mods.
I would agree that the taller gears will help with a high reving NA car, but with a car with this much torque at the lower RPMs, I think that the 3.08s are much better.
It's shorter gears that would help a high reving NA Car more, and taller gears are fine for Turbo Cars with so much torque.

I think that's exactly what you meant to say. It's just that 3.46 gears are actually shorter than 3.08 gears. The higher the number the shorter the gears.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AlpineTTSedan View Post
It's shorter gears that would help a high reving NA Car more, and taller gears are fine for Turbo Cars with so much torque.

I think that's exactly what you meant to say. It's just that 3.46 gears are actually shorter than 3.08 gears. The higher the number the shorter the gears.
You're right, I had it backwards.
My e46 M3 had 4.10s and that was completely a different story since it had no torque and was all high end.
I'll edit.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Panoz's Avatar
27
Rep
1,576
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: EU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I would agree that the shorter gears will help with a high reving NA car, but with a car with this much torque at the lower RPMs, I think that the 3.08s are much better.
Its been quite some time I made this statement and everyone was bitching on me. I'm happy to see I was not wrong. We've tried switching a Hartge LSD from a steptronic to a 6MT car 1,5 year ago and we made our conclusions then.
__________________

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
WCM3
canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
WCM3's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,345
Posts

 
Drives: 11 M3 & 95 M3t
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Downingtown, Pa

iTrader: (7)

You could probably get any gearing you want from www.diffsonline.com.
__________________
2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs
1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc..
2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
You could probably get any gearing you want from www.diffsonline.com.
I don't think so.
Right now Diffsonline only offers 3.08 and 3.46
http://www.diffsonline.com/product/customdiff9.shtml

I would actually like to try a taller gear, like a 2.93 or something of the sort.
With the amount of torque we have, I think it would be awesome!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
WCM3
canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
WCM3's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,345
Posts

 
Drives: 11 M3 & 95 M3t
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Downingtown, Pa

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I don't think so.
Right now Diffsonline only offers 3.08 and 3.46
http://www.diffsonline.com/product/customdiff9.shtml

I would actually like to try a taller gear, like a 2.93 or something of the sort.
With the amount of torque we have, I think it would be awesome!
Yeah, it's not listed on the website. But if you were really interested you could always try emailing Dan and asking if it's possible. I think a 2.93 would be nice for us turbo guys.
__________________
2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs
1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc..
2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
189
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I don't think so.
Right now Diffsonline only offers 3.08 and 3.46
http://www.diffsonline.com/product/customdiff9.shtml

I would actually like to try a taller gear, like a 2.93 or something of the sort.
With the amount of torque we have, I think it would be awesome!
+1

dont see why people want a shorter rear end for the 335.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
spyder210
New Member
spyder210's Avatar
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Syosset, New York

iTrader: (0)

Why do you want taller gears?
Do you guys really top it out often?

I rarely go over 80 mph (b/c I can't affored another ticket).

I just figured getting shorter gears would add a tad more low end grunt around town etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #20
HighVoltage
.
HighVoltage's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
867
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder210 View Post
Why do you want taller gears?
Do you guys really top it out often?

I rarely go over 80 mph (b/c I can't affored another ticket).

I just figured getting shorter gears would add a tad more low end grunt around town etc.
Because most people are already having issues getting the suspension+rubber to fully hook the existing torque onto the street pavement. Multiplying more torque into the equation (i.e shorter gears) is not going to help but it might make for a hell of a smoke show.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #21
JoeyFiasco
Major
JoeyFiasco's Avatar
16
Rep
1,211
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: P'boro, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Because most people are already having issues getting the suspension+rubber to fully hook the existing torque onto the street pavement. Multiplying more torque into the equation (i.e shorter gears) is not going to help but it might make for a hell of a smoke show.
that's a good point i'll keep that in mind when i venture into lsd land
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #22
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
dlbrooks18's Avatar
51
Rep
3,583
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

I'm really happy with my Quaife lsd that I got from HP Autowerks w/ 3.46 gearing. I just put 275's on my 19x10 +22 offset, and had an alignment job done with some major fender rolling work that turned out perfect! Car hooks up great now, and I can't believe how much better the tires w LSD w better alignment improved on the performance.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST