E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Engines!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
younghov85
Captain
11
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lanham, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
Engines!!

Curious to you alls opinion:
What car company do you think make the best engines and why??
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
John
Captain
John's Avatar
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to John
http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...revious04.html

bmw is consistent in the 2.5-3 liter range
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Brunotheboxer
Brigadier General
Brunotheboxer's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
3,003
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boston/Cape Cod

iTrader: (0)

i was alway partial to YUGO's engines.
__________________


"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
IMO, I think the Japanese engines are one of the best. Nissan for example uses the same motor as a base with 3 variants that I know of and make tremendous power as well as dependability. They last a long time without having to rebuild it. Honda's are known to go couple of hundred thousand miles with no problems.
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
windnsea00
Private First Class
2
Rep
152
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

BMW I think overall make some of the best. The judges for "Top 10 Engines of the Year" must agree as BMW has been given 31 awards, more so than any other company. There are good engines here and there from other companies but BMW seems to do the best at spreading it across their whole lineup. Their powerbands, longevity, top end power and "fun factor" are hard to beat IMO. Not a lot of cars I feel safe running near redline for extended periods of time like a BMW. Plus BMW is always inventing new technology for engines which many manufacturers end up copying down the line, they are very focused on utilizing the best ideas at the time rather than settling for whatever is convenient.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
John
Captain
John's Avatar
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
IMO, I think the Japanese engines are one of the best. Nissan for example uses the same motor as a base with 3 variants that I know of and make tremendous power as well as dependability. They last a long time without having to rebuild it. Honda's are known to go couple of hundred thousand miles with no problems.
yes honda are dependable, and overall japanese engines last a long time. but i think a BMW engine can last just as long, it just needs to be maintained more. if the car is properly maintained using the right octane of gasoline, i guarantee the BMW will last long then you think. most BMW drivers just have money, so they update their cars, not necesarily cause they break down on them.

and yes, nissan engine have lots of power, but thats on paper. BMW's engines are much more efficient then nissan engines. g35 coupe and 330i are close competitors, yet the nissan has much more horsepower (298 vs. 255). technically it should be blowing the bimmer out of the water.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
ward
Major General
70
Rep
6,162
Posts

 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00
BMW I think overall make some of the best. The judges for "Top 10 Engines of the Year" must agree as BMW has been given 31 awards, more so than any other company. There are good engines here and there from other companies but BMW seems to do the best at spreading it across their whole lineup. Their powerbands, longevity, top end power and "fun factor" are hard to beat IMO. Not a lot of cars I feel safe running near redline for extended periods of time like a BMW. Plus BMW is always inventing new technology for engines which many manufacturers end up copying down the line, they are very focused on utilizing the best ideas at the time rather than settling for whatever is convenient.

yes, those are my awards.

Ward's top 10 engines
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
whippersnapper
Captain
whippersnapper's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
972
Posts

 
Drives: people mad
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Honda
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
2006 BMW 325i, Jet Black, 6MT, ZSP, Black Leather, Aluminum, Power Seats, Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #9
younghov85
Captain
11
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lanham, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
I think overall Nissan has the best set of engines and second going to BMW. They always lead in the japanese hp race but their torque is right next to the hp rating (Maxima with 265 and 252). Yes BMW has lower hp but still gives good 0-60 times but Nissans are heavier than BMWs. Look at the FX35, every rating always states that the 320hp V-8 really is not needed because of the vast power of the V-6. Nissans only flaw, which BMW use to have that problem is the mpg of its V-6s. That would be IMO the only part where Toyota and Honda outshine Nissan but everything else goes Nissan and BMWs way.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
yes honda are dependable, and overall japanese engines last a long time. but i think a BMW engine can last just as long, it just needs to be maintained more. if the car is properly maintained using the right octane of gasoline, i guarantee the BMW will last long then you think. most BMW drivers just have money, so they update their cars, not necesarily cause they break down on them.

and yes, nissan engine have lots of power, but thats on paper. BMW's engines are much more efficient then nissan engines. g35 coupe and 330i are close competitors, yet the nissan has much more horsepower (298 vs. 255). technically it should be blowing the bimmer out of the water.
Power is more than just on paper. Skyline! Hp's are not the only factors. There are weight differences, gear ratios etc, etc. No need to blow anything out of the water, if it loses than it loses plain and simple. Yeah people keep trading their cars in so no real proof of long endurance like the Japanese motors. Don't see older BMW's as a daily driver racking up miles. Mostly sit in garages for the occassional Sunday drive.
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #11
younghov85
Captain
11
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lanham, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
Honda
Hondas are ok but they lack torque, greatly. I would take a Toyota anyday over the 3.0 Vtec. Like the engine in the new Camary is nice, but the actual Camary would never be parked in my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #12
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
I think overall Nissan has the best set of engines and second going to BMW. They always lead in the japanese hp race but their torque is right next to the hp rating (Maxima with 265 and 252). Yes BMW has lower hp but still gives good 0-60 times but Nissans are heavier than BMWs. Look at the FX35, every rating always states that the 320hp V-8 really is not needed because of the vast power of the V-6. Nissans only flaw, which BMW use to have that problem is the mpg of its V-6s. That would be IMO the only part where Toyota and Honda outshine Nissan but everything else goes Nissan and BMWs way.
Yes the cars are heavy but surprisingly my Maxima gets better gas mileage than the BMW any day of the week.
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
younghov85
Captain
11
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lanham, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Yes the cars are heavy but surprisingly my Maxima gets better gas mileage than the BMW any day of the week.
Honestly i was going to get the 2006 maxima but my mother was like if you are living at home and a car is your only real bill, then get a BMW. But the new Max that was just released I wish they had it out when I got my car. There is no way I would have a 325i now. Maximas are the best bang for the buck and the best non-luxury car. Period.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #14
whippersnapper
Captain
whippersnapper's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
972
Posts

 
Drives: people mad
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
Hondas are ok but they lack torque, greatly. I would take a Toyota anyday over the 3.0 Vtec. Like the engine in the new Camary is nice, but the actual Camary would never be parked in my driveway.
Well in terms of bhp / liter, the S2000 engine takers some beating as do many of the VTEC 4's. Honda's core competentcy is engines
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
2006 BMW 325i, Jet Black, 6MT, ZSP, Black Leather, Aluminum, Power Seats, Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #15
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
Honestly i was going to get the 2006 maxima but my mother was like if you are living at home and a car is your only real bill, then get a BMW. But the new Max that was just released I wish they had it out when I got my car. There is no way I would have a 325i now. Maximas are the best bang for the buck and the best non-luxury car. Period.
That's why I still have mine. I have been waiting years for a sedan model to come out but no luck. 120,000 and 10 years old with only 1 visit to the dealer to replace a defective right axle. Have maintained it with normal wear and tear parts and still going!
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
younghov85
Captain
11
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lanham, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
Well in terms of bhp / liter, the S2000 engine takers some beating as do many of the VTEC 4's. Honda's core competentcy is engines
I knew you were gonna mention that engine! Yeah that I-4 in the S2000 is crazy. Nothing else to say. But the problem I have with their engines is that to get that full power, especially with the torque. At long distances they rock but off the line its something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
younghov85
Captain
11
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lanham, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to younghov85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
That's why I still have mine. I have been waiting years for a sedan model to come out but no luck. 120,000 and 10 years old with only 1 visit to the dealer to replace a defective right axle. Have maintained it with normal wear and tear parts and still going!
You dont like the current Maxima??
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
John
Captain
John's Avatar
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Power is more than just on paper. Skyline! Hp's are not the only factors. There are weight differences, gear ratios etc, etc. No need to blow anything out of the water, if it loses than it loses plain and simple. Yeah people keep trading their cars in so no real proof of long endurance like the Japanese motors. Don't see older BMW's as a daily driver racking up miles. Mostly sit in garages for the occassional Sunday drive.
yep, i agree its more then just HP. but overall i still think HP for HP BMW is better.

and yea the skyline is super fast. but its also awd. great car off the line no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #19
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
You dont like the current Maxima??
I do. They have added so much to the newer model. I know bluetooth is an option or standard and don't know what else. The dual exhaust is nice. I just never liked it as much as I do the 97. Something about the grill. I fell in love at first sight and have yet to feel the same about any other car since. I was looking into a E46 but may go back to Nissan or just fix my car and add a SC to the Maxima. That will put it around 300 hp's You're right about the most bang for your money. The 350 with the options I wanted came out to around $37k. Not bad at all!
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 03:14 AM   #20
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
yep, i agree its more then just HP. but overall i still think HP for HP BMW is better.

and yea the skyline is super fast. but its also awd. great car off the line no doubt.
Isn't the 335 AWD?
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 03:15 AM   #21
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
32
Rep
375
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Victor.L3IchibanM3 Send a message via Yahoo to Victor.L3IchibanM3
Toyota or Mitsubishi
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #22
John
Captain
John's Avatar
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Isn't the 335 AWD?
well i assume they will have 335i and 335xi. don't see why they'd make it only
in xi
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST