E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Window tinting

12-07-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
white 125M
Private First Class

Drives: White 125 M Sport

Window tinting

Hi Guys,

I'm a first time poster here as I'm an owner of a new 335i coupe which I bought here in Canberra about 2 weeks ago and I'm now thinking about getting the windows tinted.

I've rung around and got a few quotes but I'm concerned about getting scratches on the film on the drivers and pax windows. My last car was a 120 hatch and on this car the front windows were okay but the back windows had scoring on the film from the windows being wound up and down - the tinter wouldn't replace the film despite the warranty and this was a firm the local BMW dealer used, so needless to say I will not be going to them!!

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any problems with their tinting? If you haven't had any problems, what precautions were taken? For example, did you remove the rubbing strip?

Many thanks.

By the way, I love the car. I've only done about 1200 kms in just over 2 weeks and haven't really hit it hard or anything but there is so much power. Incidentally, we were on order to get a 135 Coupe but I decided that a 335 was more to my liking and very glad I am too.
      12-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
skyskie
Casually Over-Enthusiastic Driver

Drives: 325i e90

Welcome to the forum blue. The tinting on my car was done by solace tinting in rosebery. It turned out pretty good, the only precaution i can offer is to dont touch the windows for 2 days after the tints have gone on. When i tinted the boxster it was a pain because the window automatically winds down when you open the door, so the tinting film was being moved around quite a bit and it ended up having bubbles here and there on the top of the window. The tinting guy subsequently just poked a hole in the bubble and smoothed it out for me. Just go with the legit tints rather than the illegal 5% tints, they just make night time driving a pain and hazard, plus the insurance companies are weary on insuring someones car when they had an accident at night time and with 5% tints.
skyskie is offline   Australia
      12-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Dubois
Private

Drives: 335i M Sport//TitaniuM

Just got the Bolle tint from Tint-a-car and like it. Good darkness and colour.

Only problem is the ceramic dots around the rear screen. Because they are raised quite a bit, the tint has trouble adhering to the glass. It settles down after a couple of weeks but still not perfect. They need to take their time with tinting the 335 due to the dots so do not let them rush it.

And make sure you bargain with them. Do not call the 13 number (if you use tint-a-car) as your price will be fixed and the head office takes a booking charge. Google the nearest shop and start haggling from there.

Good luck
      12-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
white 125M
Private First Class

Thanks guys. The windows in the 335 coupe also dip down when opening the door so I'm not what can be done about this. My biggest concern, is whether the rubber strip which rubs against the inside of the window will cause any scratching to the film. From what I gather, there isn't a great deal the installers can do and it's not something that is covered under warranty, so I'm really interested in knowing what other folks have done about this - or, isn't this a problem?

I've scoured this forum by searching on window tint, and tint and tinting and not much comes up, certainly nothing which answers my question.

Anyway, guess I'll just have to risk it.

Thanks,

Phil
      12-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
deep green
Private

Drives: E93 335i Vert

Garage List
I'd suggest you speak with a couple of top end installers about the issues re tinting E93's. I was advised that the internal double seals on the E93's doors create the scratching problems you have mentioned. Some installers quote that it only occurs on the coupes and 4 doors, other say its across the range. Have also been offered by an installer to pull the double seal out to ensure no scratches! No thanks. The other issue is as identified re: unable to get really good contact on the raised black fdotted sections. I've decided to live without AM tint. Obviously your car your call, but at least you're across the issues. Good luck.

deep green is offline   Australia
      12-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
white 125M
Private First Class

Thanks deep green. I don't think I want to remove the rubber rubbing strip either. I'll keep researching and if I find anything useful I will post here.

Cheers.
      12-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
white 125M
Private First Class

I got a quote this week from Solar Tint for $350 to supply and install the new film called Black Pearl. I understand it is ceramic so it won't interfere with the GPS and AM/FM radio antenna. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is thinking of getting tinting done. This is based on 45% light transmittance because the windows are already slightly tinted - if I'd gone for the standard 35% LT my tinting would be too dark and mostly likely be illegal.

Cheers

Blue 335
      12-14-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
e93
open air motoring at its best

Drives: BMW E93 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 e93 335i  [0.00]
I've had tint since new - May 2007. Car has over 20,000k's. No issues with scratching.

2007 335i Convertible || Black Sapphire | Cream Beige | Burr Walnut | 6 AT Paddles | Comfort Access | Aluminium Pedals | Aero Front Spoiler | Remus Quads | KW V3 Coilovers | Velocity V-715 wheels | M3 Rear Lip Spoiler || On Order || || Wishlist || ||
e93 is offline   Australia
      06-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I am looking at window tinting for the E90 sedan I am waiting on. I went to tint-a-car (sol-ace) in Rosebery.

It seems there are two products they recommend for my car, either Bolly or Formula 1. Both are 35% tints but offer different advantages according to the guy I spoke to. Does anyone have comments about either of these, or about the service from Tint-a-car in general?
John_01 is offline   Australia
      06-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I am looking at window tinting for the E90 sedan I am waiting on. I went to tint-a-car (sol-ace) in Rosebery.

It seems there are two products they recommend for my car, either Bolly or Formula 1. Both are 35% tints but offer different advantages according to the guy I spoke to. Does anyone have comments about either of these, or about the service from Tint-a-car in general?
I had the Bolle done through them on my E90 when I got it a couple of years ago. Good service, okay price & they fixed a minor issue I had without a problem.

The Bolle is a yellowish tint which I don't mind as my car is Montego Blue with lemon interior. Other colours may not look as nice.

I have a few light vertical marks on some of the windows, it's due to dirt catching on the inside where the glass slides past. Not much can be done & honestly I hardly notice it.
WOPALX is offline   Australia
      06-19-2009, 03:50 AM   #11
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
The Bolle is a yellowish tint which I don't mind as my car is Montego Blue with lemon interior. Other colours may not look as nice.
Thats a good point. I noticed the Bolle is a bit yellow or greenish. The guy at tint-a-car asked me which interior I had, so that is probably the reason. My car is a white M-sport with saddle brown / brushed aluminium interior. The formula 1 tint is more of a pure grey colour, so maybe it would be better for me.
      06-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #12
s4008616
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Just another idea. You can consider not to tint your car at all.

I live in the sunshine coast and commute to brisbane a lot. I never miss the tint.

s4008616 is offline   Australia
      06-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel

Hi S4008616, Personally I don't think I could accept a car without tint. I will use the car for long trips in summer, so it isn't something I'd consider. I am trying to avoid getting sunburnt too often.

Apart from that I think the tinted glass looks good with high-gloss shadowline on the M-sport.