E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > God Bless America!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
CMD
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


God Bless America!

Is anyone else tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture? After the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11th we experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the politically correct crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak English, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language.

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is our country, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave.

I hope this doesn't OFFEND anyone.

Last edited by CMD; 08-15-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
aapriadi
Colonel
aapriadi's Avatar
Indonesia
36
Rep
2,039
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

iTrader: (10)

Lightbulb

Attached Images
  
__________________
mod = crack
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
742
Major
11
Rep
1,190
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

The original national motto was ""E Pluribus Unum". It was changed to "In God We Trust" in 1956 as part of the McCarthy communist witch hunt. I doubt that God was very impressed.

And as a point of fact some of the founding fathers were Deists. It is interesting that the first President attacked by what today would be called the religious right was Thomas Jefferson (frequently accused of being an atheist). Even Washington was held suspect, as he refused to take communion.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
112
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Just a couple of comments from a non-american. I agree with most of your post, but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
Whose God ? - all of the organised religions believe in God.

I don't recall that conversion to Christianity has ever been an essential part of American Citizenship. By the way - are you talking about catholic or protestant christianity ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, the right to leave.

I hope this doesn't OFFEND anyone.
Not sure what you are aiming at here - but your 'way of life' is 'how life is led on a daily basis' - your own posts on immigration are a complaint about your 'way of life' surely?

As to multiculturalism - this must be in balance. I agree with you that a country must have it's own culture. For me this is the problem with the Muslim community in the UK at the moment. They are withdrawing from British culture and hence losing their British identity.

However, monoculturalism is equally damaging. There is no reason why individuals should not be free to retain much of their own culture and beliefs. Without this the world would be a much less vibrant and interesting place.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
MrSilver's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,131
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrSilver
Which God should bless America?

I have always been a big fan of Athena (Roman name Minerva), the goddess of crafts and the domestic arts and also those of war.

She has come to be regarded as a goddess of wisdom.

Lord knows (pun intended) America could use some wisdom.
__________________

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
tl_boy
Major
tl_boy's Avatar
25
Rep
1,329
Posts

 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

iTrader: (0)

I agree that everyone should learn "American." But some try and are still made fun of with their accents. Thats not really fair i think because at least they are trying. You can live in San Fransisco's Chinatown and literally never need to learn English from what I've heard. Street signs, hospitals, banks, etc. are all in Chinese. I think its kind of cool to have that diversity, but I also think they should learn the English language. I also think that sensitivity is important to some degree, I wouldn't agree with throwing it out the window altogether.
__________________

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
MrSilver's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,131
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrSilver
One of the primary requirements for becoming a naturalized United States citizen is that you have a basic command of the English language (able to read and write simple sentences).

If I were to move to Mexico, or any country for that matter, I would do everything in my power to learn the language, and adapt to their culture.

There is no excuse for people who fail to learn English.

I know my ancestors had to when they came to this Country in the 1800s.

My fiancé’s family came here in 1979 with only $500.00 in their pocket, and they all learned the language, although they made a point to speak Russian to their children so they would never forget their heritage.

I think the bottom line is that life is too easy for people these days, and our ancestors who came to this country were forced to learn the language to survive. I'm a firm believer in social Darwinism. If you don't need a language to survive, most people will take the path of least resistance, and won't learn something new/different/unnecessary. English should be mandatory in schools, and it should be the #1 priority. The illiteracy rate in this country is simply alarming. How are we supposed to compete in the global market when an astonishing percentage of our own children can’t even read the language, let alone the foreign born children?

But I digress.
__________________

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
Oz's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wayne, NJ

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Oz Send a message via MSN to Oz
You keep starting these kind of threads and still try to prove your point then say "I don't mean to offend anyone" to make things better. You keep saying you are not a racist but have such a problem with people that recently came here.

Since when English was the official language of USA? You don't need to learn English to become part of the so called "American" society.

I don't like many of the things that the US government does but this doesn't mean that I can not live in this country. Just because you live in a country doesn't mean that you have to agree and go along with everything that this country does.

What does Christianity have anything to do with culture of USA? Last time I checked, there isn't a national language or religion in USA because there are many diverse groups. The motto could originally be Christian but doesn't mean that it still has the same meaning now. I'll give you an example. I am an member of a fraternity that was once a Christian only fraternity with a Chistian motto. I was not rejected to become of a member of this fraternity just because I am not Christian

I am sorry if I am rambling here because I have so much to say but it is surely very hard to explain. And I truly think your so called patriotism is unfortunately making you a racist.
__________________
2006 330i Steptronic/Alpine White/Black Leather/Burl Walnut Trim/Premium Package/iDrive/Heated Seats/Winter: STYLE 159 Blizzak LM-22 RFT/Summer: TBD
2004 X5 Steptronic/Alpine White/Grey Leather/Poplar Trim/Premium Package/Heated Seats/iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
Oz's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wayne, NJ

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Oz Send a message via MSN to Oz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilver
One of the primary requirements for becoming a naturalized United States citizen is that you have a basic command of the English language (able to read and write simple sentences).

If I were to move to Mexico, or any country for that matter, I would do everything in my power to learn the language, and adapt to their culture.

There is no excuse for people who fail to learn English.
I agree that you should at least have a basic command of the English language but you don't need to know it perfect to become part of this society.

I came to this country when I was 9 so It was easier for me to learn the language. But you need to realize that It's not very easy for someone to fully learn the language if you are well over 40 or live in a town/house that is completely made of your own people. I come across this a lot because NYC is a very diverse place
__________________
2006 330i Steptronic/Alpine White/Black Leather/Burl Walnut Trim/Premium Package/iDrive/Heated Seats/Winter: STYLE 159 Blizzak LM-22 RFT/Summer: TBD
2004 X5 Steptronic/Alpine White/Grey Leather/Poplar Trim/Premium Package/Heated Seats/iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
MrSilver's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,131
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrSilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
I agree that you should at least have a basic command of the English language but you don't need to know it perfect to become part of this society.

I came to this country when I was 9 so It was easier for me to learn the language. But you need to realize that It's not very easy for someone to fully learn the language if you are well over 40 or live in a town/house that is completely made of your own people. I come across this a lot because NYC is a very diverse place
I agree.

A basic command is all that is required to become a naturalized United States citizen.

Many natural born Americans speak a language that doesn't even remotely resemble the Queen's English.

Are they still teaching Ebonics in schools?
__________________

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
Oz's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wayne, NJ

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Oz Send a message via MSN to Oz
Everyone is entitled their opinions and I have no problem with that. The only problem I have with this thread is that CMD keeps saying that he's not a racist and doesn't mean to offend anyone but he clearly does by making these statements. I can't think of one non American/immigrants on this forum that can agree with everything that he states.
__________________
2006 330i Steptronic/Alpine White/Black Leather/Burl Walnut Trim/Premium Package/iDrive/Heated Seats/Winter: STYLE 159 Blizzak LM-22 RFT/Summer: TBD
2004 X5 Steptronic/Alpine White/Grey Leather/Poplar Trim/Premium Package/Heated Seats/iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
tl_boy
Major
tl_boy's Avatar
25
Rep
1,329
Posts

 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

iTrader: (0)

Some immigrants I know (where English is not the mother tongue) have a much stronger command of the English language than some Americans born and raised here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilver
I agree.

A basic command is all that is required to become a naturalized United States citizen.

Many natural born Americans speak a language that doesn't even remotely resemble the Queen's English.

Are they still teaching Ebonics in schools?
__________________

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
MrSilver's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,131
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrSilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Some immigrants I know (where English is not the mother tongue) have a much stronger command of the English language than some Americans born and raised here.
QFT
__________________

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #14
CMD
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi
Now that IS funny!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
CMD
Guest
Rep
n/a
Posts

 
Drives:


Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi




Now that IS funny!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
tl_boy
Major
tl_boy's Avatar
25
Rep
1,329
Posts

 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

iTrader: (0)

How CMD sees the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
Now that IS funny!
__________________

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
United_States
121
Rep
7,381
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

iTrader: (12)

cliffs notes please...............too lazy to read it
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
2
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 5 Series
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

I don't read newspapers or consider myself "politically active"
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #19
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Gearcraft's Avatar
Philippines
10
Rep
708
Posts

 
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: candied island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Some immigrants I know (where English is not the mother tongue) have a much stronger command of the English language than some Americans born and raised here.
i kinda noticed that. ive never met a lot of people who were born here who writes proper english. a lot of people often mispell and use the wrong words (i forgot how you call that ....nyms) i also notice a lot of grammar errors when they write.

i wonder why? too much chatting? i guess.
__________________
325i I SP
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #20
742
Major
11
Rep
1,190
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
If it weren't for B-17 pilots like my dad, who flew missions out of your country to Dresden and other dangerous targets, your sorry ass would posting in German right now.
The Battle of Britain was over long before any American B-17s were on British soil.

And before you start a rant, I also have some family history in this area. Not that it matters, since reality is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #21
742
Major
11
Rep
1,190
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
Well, the reality is that the outcome of the war and the ultimate fate of Britain was anything but decided.

It just pisses me off that the liberal secularism that is consuming Europe is spreading to Britain. Rude slanderous comments about America from Europeans doesn't bother me at all, hell I expect it nowadays. It's just that I expect better from the Brits.
“liberal secularism” is what founded the United States.

The alternatives are things like theocracies, non-constitutional monarchies, totalitarianism and fascism.

----------
Which leads too:

Q: Why did Australia get the criminals and America the religious fanatics?

A: Australia had first choice.

Last edited by 742; 08-15-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #22
whippersnapper
Captain
whippersnapper's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
972
Posts

 
Drives: people mad
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD
As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
Fair enough but then you have little right to impose your culture on other nations who are not interested
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
2006 BMW 325i, Jet Black, 6MT, ZSP, Black Leather, Aluminum, Power Seats, Logic 7
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST