E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tesco 99 Ron

11-09-2006, 04:36 PM   #23
HDH

Drives: BMW 320iSE

Tesco 99 RON

Hi all, new here. I've found the Tesco 99 RON equally elusive. I've been in quite a lot of garages in the south over the last few months and haven't seen a 99 pump yet - not knowingly anyway - though having just come out of a company TDi Passat I haven't been looking that hard.

I've just got my own E90 320iSE. It's an ex-demonstrator which had 8200 on the clock at about 11 months old. I've just put 1000mls on it in the first 9 days, all of which has been done on 95RON (averaged 37MPG) and it feels a little lazy at low revs and sluggish to pick up without going for a really low gear. Just put some 97 RON in tonight in the local Tescos and will see how that goes. According to bits I've read there's supposed to be something like 200 Tesco stations in the south and east with 99. Anyone know where they are? Up in North Oxon 97 seems to be about the highest available, without paying a massive premium over the 83.9 for 95.

On the oil sensor front, when I got the car, mine was reading one bar above minimum. It didn't take long to spot that and once on minimum, 1 full litre topped it off. Since then, it hasn't moved. I certainly won't be letting it get anywhere near that level in future.

Anyway, good to join you all. You certainly seem to know your stuff about BMWs. This is my first and I'm just loving it!

Previous cars:
12 and all complete rubbish - not a BMW among them!
HDH is offline   United Kingdom
      11-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #24
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDH
Hi all, new here. I've found the Tesco 99 RON equally elusive. I've been in quite a lot of garages in the south over the last few months and haven't seen a 99 pump yet - not knowingly anyway - though having just come out of a company TDi Passat I haven't been looking that hard.

I've just got my own E90 320iSE. It's an ex-demonstrator which had 8200 on the clock at about 11 months old. I've just put 1000mls on it in the first 9 days, all of which has been done on 95RON (averaged 37MPG) and it feels a little lazy at low revs and sluggish to pick up without going for a really low gear. Just put some 97 RON in tonight in the local Tescos and will see how that goes. According to bits I've read there's supposed to be something like 200 Tesco stations in the south and east with 99. Anyone know where they are? Up in North Oxon 97 seems to be about the highest available, without paying a massive premium over the 83.9 for 95.

On the oil sensor front, when I got the car, mine was reading one bar above minimum. It didn't take long to spot that and once on minimum, 1 full litre topped it off. Since then, it hasn't moved. I certainly won't be letting it get anywhere near that level in future.

Anyway, good to join you all. You certainly seem to know your stuff about BMWs. This is my first and I'm just loving it!
Don't know about the 320i, but my car really needs revving - the power really kicks in at 4000 rpm. Maybe this is why yours isn't pulling hard in lower gears.
      11-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #25
ShereKhan
Captain

Drives: 2010 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi SE

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Hi Needforspeed

I thought only my 320si engine has the OBC oil level function - doesn't your engine have a physical dipstick?

If I had a car without the OBC oil check I would make sure that the oil level is above mid way otherwise how do you know what to top up?
ShereKhan is offline   United Kingdom
      11-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #26
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan
Hi Needforspeed

I thought only my 320si engine has the OBC oil level function - doesn't your engine have a physical dipstick?

If I had a car without the OBC oil check I would make sure that the oil level is above mid way otherwise how do you know what to top up?
I think all the petrol cars have the electronic oil level.

The only problem is that with a dipstick you get a fairly instant reading as you top up - so it's harder to overfill. I think the electronic version takes a little while to adjust and I understand some people have overfilled as a consequence.

HDH's post saying that min to max is about a litre is pretty useful as guidance.
      11-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #27
ShereKhan
Captain

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
As I understand the 320si is the only model not to also include a physical dipstick. So you are at the mercy of the OBC telling you.

I have to wait till the engine is warmed up before I can do an oil check. This can take some time.

The oil level on my si was at max then without no reason just dropped to midway - but it still reports ok??

I think the sensor may need to be recalibrated or something like that as if its lost its way. But its alarming to see half your oil disapear in just a few days.

Its going in on Thursday so i'll keep you all posted.
      11-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
NFS
Major General

Quote:
As I understand the 320si is the only model not to also include a physical dipstick. So you are at the mercy of the OBC telling you.

I have to wait till the engine is warmed up before I can do an oil check. This can take some time.

The oil level on my si was at max then without no reason just dropped to midway - but it still reports ok??

I think the sensor may need to be recalibrated or something like that as if its lost its way. But its alarming to see half your oil disapear in just a few days.

Its going in on Thursday so i'll keep you all posted.
I don't think any of the petrol models have a dipstick. My oil level is on the OBC as well.

So long as it's between max and min it's going to report OK - that's cause it is OK. mine is sitting one bar below max - has done for a while, so I am just keeping an eye on it.
      11-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #29
Z4 Beemer
Colonel

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
On the Z4, after you turn the engine off, the oil light can light up yellow and you hear a single beep, meaning that oil level is close to the minimum mark (Z4 has a dipstick so you can check anyway). Does the 3 series give the same sort of warning that the level is close to the minimum?
Z4 Beemer is offline   Scotland
      11-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #30
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
I seem to recall reading in my manual that you shouldn't add oil until the sensor/computer told you to and then only 1 litre. As long as the level is above minimum there shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's when you neglect it and ignore the computer that you're going to run into problems.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      11-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #31
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer
On the Z4, after you turn the engine off, the oil light can light up yellow and you hear a single beep, meaning that oil level is close to the minimum mark (Z4 has a dipstick so you can check anyway). Does the 3 series give the same sort of warning that the level is close to the minimum?
No there is a dashed line display on the OBC (or on the i-drive if you have it) that shows the oil level between 'max and min' exactly as you would see it on a dipstick.

You can call it up at anytime. Presumably if it falls below min the check control system will start bonging at you and nagging you to add some oil. As a few people have said the difference between max and min (when the bonging starts) is about 1 litre.
      11-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #32
ShereKhan
Captain

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Needforspeed.

When I collected my car from the dealer - main dealership for West Midlands. A technician had to come out to tell me how to check the oil as no one knew why my engine had no dipstick. As the E90 has been out for over a year surely they would have been asked this by other customers.

I have just checked it again this afternoon. The OBC is now showing 25% o above min. So its dropped even further!!

Not had the beeping yet. But will wait and see. I'll also see what the garage say.
      11-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #33
SoYank
Major General

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Is there any sign of a leaking seal? Drips on your driveway, for example. Do you see blue smoke emanating from the exhaust pipe when you accelerate? May need someone to follow you to determine this. I'm thinking either a leaking seal or a failed piston ring. You shouldn't be losing oil as fast as it appears.

I checked my oil today with the iDrive (any other way?) and after ten months it's down about half a litre or quart.
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
SoYank is offline   United_States
      11-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #34
ShereKhan
Captain

Garage List
2006 E90 320si  [0.00]
Dont really get time to look at driveway for oil leak. As I always leave home in early hours or arrive late evening.

Not sure about smoke, i'd expect blue smoke to be fairly visible though.
I will point out I do love thrashing the engine - so I have a feeling that oil is burning fast because of this. However I will also add that my Peugeot 306 I used to have lost a lot oil early in its life and then settled down.

I expect the same - but my lease company won't normally pay for oil and I can't claim it back on expenses because of HMC expense rules.
      11-16-2006, 06:28 AM   #35
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Needforspeed.

When I collected my car from the dealer - main dealership for West Midlands. A technician had to come out to tell me how to check the oil as no one knew why my engine had no dipstick. As the E90 has been out for over a year surely they would have been asked this by other customers.

I have just checked it again this afternoon. The OBC is now showing 25% o above min. So its dropped even further!!

Not had the beeping yet. But will wait and see. I'll also see what the garage say.
That's pretty baffling - I got my car from Sytner in Solihull and as part of the handover they showed me how to check the oil - without my asking.

This isn't anything new - all e60 petrol cars have had the electronic dipstick for about 3 years.
      11-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #36
ghosey115
Private

Drives: Black 330 M Sport

Garage List
Tesco near me don't have 99 ron
      11-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #37
Snake Pliskin
Private First Class

Drives: 330i M Sport Saloon

My oil level is one bar below max too like NFS ... surprised me really as expected it to have used more ... assuming it was filled up to MAX !

As for fuel ... have recently tried BP ultimate and have been pleasantly surprised by it, as I have always tended to got for SHELL Optimax / V Power as my preferred choice (but have to drive out of town for this) ... BP is only garage in my town which stock "high" octane fuel and I must say the pup runs fine on the BP stuff ... so considering that's 97 octane and Shell V Power I understand is 99 octane now (to match Tesco) it is very interesting that the performance of the car feels comparible on either fuel ... not tried regular 95 octane unleaded at all, so can't comment on that ... she's been fed the good stuff from day one
Snake Pliskin is offline   United Kingdom
      11-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #38
Z4 Beemer
Colonel

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to Z4 Beemer
I've used BP Ultimate on the Z4 for the last two years, and on the MINI before that, and would agree the car runs quite smooth on it. It also tends to feel a bit more lively. You can also collect the Nectar points through BP garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
As for fuel ... have recently tried BP ultimate and have been pleasantly surprised by it, as I have always tended to got for SHELL Optimax / V Power as my preferred choice (but have to drive out of town for this) ... BP is only garage in my town which stock "high" octane fuel and I must say the pup runs fine on the BP stuff ...
Z4 Beemer is offline   Scotland