E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How to wash at car wash??

06-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Sedan

How to wash at car wash??

Okay so, I did alot of searching and could not find anyone with a specified way to wash your car at a car wash. I mean the coin operated ones. Now...no I do not prefer this method but, I live in an apartment complex with no hose hook up!

So I know the two bucket method and the multiple mitts/sponge but, that is usually impossible to pull off at a coin operated place. I usually am able to pre soak the car there, take my mitts/spongs and soap them up, then do the heavy soap on the car and then use sponges/mitts to wash the car. Obviously I can't do the two bucket things...well at least it does not appear they will let me pull that off there. I do use the multiple mitts and wash top with one to mid side and different one for mid side to lower. Anyway...I wanted to know if anyone else has to do that and thier suggestions!

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
look into optimum no rinse

it's not waterless, but it's another way to do it without a hose
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
look into optimum no rinse

it's not waterless, but it's another way to do it without a hose
+1
      06-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
vinnycg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe

Optimum no-rinse is a really good product. Very easy to use.

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
bernjee82
cibai kia!
United_States
Rep
Drives: el coche

optimum no rinse and try to wash at nite at the car wash, at least thats what i do with the current water restriction in tampa. i use the 2 buckets method with opt no rinse and then a quick detailer for a no hassle wash.

Last edited by bernjee82; 06-14-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
i had to wash my car with ONR last time when my hose broke on me. i was so angry lol

here's my process

1. two buckets - one bucket with clean just water, another with a strong concentration of ONR
2. wash media - zymol wash sponge; very similar to the Detailersdomain.com sponge

the Lake Country grout sponge is very good too

any other wash media like a sheepskin mitt would be great too

3. go through two wheels with my brushes and towels first. empty the rinse bucket and go through the last two. new rinse bucket for the body

4. grab a sponge soaking in ONR, squeeze some of the liquid on the panel i wanna wash, then go wash it regularly

5. dry with a waffle weave towel after a couple panels

for example, i'd go through two doors before drying because i'd get the other door wet anyway

it's not my favorite way of washing my car because rinsing with water helps a lot. it is certainly an option i wouldn't mind using though if i had to
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
MetsFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
ONR or check out this thread on autopia

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ar-washes.html
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.00]
Send a message via MSN to ToadHollow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
Okay so, I did alot of searching and could not find anyone with a specified way to wash your car at a car wash. I mean the coin operated ones. Now...no I do not prefer this method but, I live in an apartment complex with no hose hook up!

So I know the two bucket method and the multiple mitts/sponge but, that is usually impossible to pull off at a coin operated place. I usually am able to pre soak the car there, take my mitts/spongs and soap them up, then do the heavy soap on the car and then use sponges/mitts to wash the car. Obviously I can't do the two bucket things...well at least it does not appear they will let me pull that off there. I do use the multiple mitts and wash top with one to mid side and different one for mid side to lower. Anyway...I wanted to know if anyone else has to do that and thier suggestions!

Thanks in advance!!
On occasion I've used a coin operated wash.
Rinse the car real well (use your own carwash shampoo and fill the bucket you brought along) and then rinse with the high pressure soap.

With your grit guard in place and lambs wool wash mitt, wash the car down. With a mf mitt, wash the wheels.

Rinse the car and dry her off with a mf or similar towel.

I also have used the ONR BUT, I really dislike the "film" it leaves on the car to achieve the glossy look. It's difficult to apply wax to the paint after an ONR wash. Probably why I've only used the ONR once ........

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
i had to wash my car with ONR last time when my hose broke on me. i was so angry lol

here's my process

1. two buckets - one bucket with clean just water, another with a strong concentration of ONR
2. wash media - zymol wash sponge; very similar to the Detailersdomain.com sponge

the Lake Country grout sponge is very good too

any other wash media like a sheepskin mitt would be great too

3. go through two wheels with my brushes and towels first. empty the rinse bucket and go through the last two. new rinse bucket for the body

4. grab a sponge soaking in ONR, squeeze some of the liquid on the panel i wanna wash, then go wash it regularly

5. dry with a waffle weave towel after a couple panels

for example, i'd go through two doors before drying because i'd get the other door wet anyway

it's not my favorite way of washing my car because rinsing with water helps a lot. it is certainly an option i wouldn't mind using though if i had to
Great quick write up. I'll add on a couple of my own suggestions as well. Wash the car first, and save the wheels for last. Even with rinsing the water gets pretty dirty when doing wheels, so this way you won't have to replace it prior to washing the body panels. Do not use the same wash media for the body that u used for the wheels. If you're car is really dirty, you can also pre treat it by mixing up some ONR in a spray bottle, and spraying it onto the panel prior to washing it the way Spec mentioned.
      06-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
twinturboa51
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
I also have used the ONR BUT, I really dislike the "film" it leaves on the car to achieve the glossy look. It's difficult to apply wax to the paint after an ONR wash. Probably why I've only used the ONR once ........
+1 plus i cant really see where i have washed because there are no suds. Its a great product but not one i use on a regular basis. ill keep using maxi suds or gold class for most of my washes. Although ONR does make great clay lube.
      06-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
**Matt**
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330

Two buckets at night is fine

If I have to wash at the coin ops, I will wait till 9/10pm, after the kids go to bed, take my washbuckets, soap etc and just use as I would at home. Never had any probs with people there. They have about 9 bays so it's never full. It's usually just the off road trucks and stuff washing off heavy dirt that they are not allowed to during the day so they won't say s**t.

The only problem with this is the hood is warm from driving it, but other than that it works fine. Costs usually about $4-5 in water.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Andy M
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Matt** View Post
If I have to wash at the coin ops, I will wait till 9/10pm, after the kids go to bed, take my washbuckets, soap etc and just use as I would at home. Never had any probs with people there. They have about 9 bays so it's never full. It's usually just the off road trucks and stuff washing off heavy dirt that they are not allowed to during the day so they won't say s**t.

The only problem with this is the hood is warm from driving it, but other than that it works fine. Costs usually about $4-5 in water.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! You guys rock!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! You guys rock!
I'll do one better!

If your close to Annapolis, you can use my hose and I have plenty of detailing products.

Once MACA, always MACA!
      06-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
DetailersDomain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 15 MW M3

wow that's an awesome thing to do for a member!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
odgaard
keeping cars clean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M3

I still need to get some ONR, havent had a reason to use it yet.

I'm going to be in a show in July and have to travel a long way to be in it. I plan on bringing some ONR to wash down the ride and get rid of all the bugs before the show. Then of course it will be a good thing to use during the winter!
      06-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #17
CV335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Matt** View Post
+1. I do use the 2-bucket method at a coin-op wash place. Most of those places don't let you bring buckets when they are busy/full. I talked to the manager and a couple of employees at the place I go and indeed they told me that as long as they don't have people waiting in line I can bring the buckets and take all the time I need. So now I usually go for the car wash after 7pm! Disclaimer though, as long as you bring all your detailing products you should be fine....only use the coin-op for the rinse (water only) option.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
I'll do one better!

If your close to Annapolis, you can use my hose and I have plenty of detailing products.

Once MACA, always MACA!
Once MACA Always MACA? Hmm...to be sure I know..what does that stand for?

ANd very nice offer. Not really near Annapolis..but, may be worth a trip up..hell I was thinking of having you detail my car anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
wrickem
doesn't really care
Rep
Drives: what he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
Great quick write up. Wash the car first, and save the wheels for last. Even with rinsing the water gets pretty dirty when doing wheels, so this way you won't have to replace it prior to washing the body panels.
Do you dry the car in between washing it and doing the wheels, then go over it again after you finish the wheels?

I am asking because I do the wheels first so the car doesn't dry and spot by the time I finish the wheels, and they will keep wet with all the rinsing of the body panels. ( I use 2 completely different buckets, mits, sponges, products, for the wheels and the car).
      06-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #20
zaxjax
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
MACA

Mid Atlantic Cobra Association
      06-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
Bonefish
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxjax View Post
MACA

Mid Atlantic Cobra Association

OH MAN! I thought that is what you meant! I was thinking that could only stand for one thing.... but, what are the odds? Who is this? What did you have? Did we ever met??

Okay we gotta hook up now!

Side note..I am looking to get a 2010 Cobra...sometime next year!

I love that and my BMW! So..one of each!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
zaxjax
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
OH MAN! I thought that is what you meant! I was thinking that could only stand for one thing.... but, what are the odds? Who is this? What did you have? Did we ever met??

Okay we gotta hook up now!

Side note..I am looking to get a 2010 Cobra...sometime next year!

I love that and my BMW! So..one of each!

ZAXJAX - same screen name as SVTP

Jason - Don't remember if we met but probably did at one time

2004 Whippled Mystichrome Vert with 18" CTR's and dropped

We have a meet every Wednesday in Annapolis, bunch of euros and imports all GTG!