E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > BMW Steel Performance Pedals Retrofit Done Right - Tips & Trick DIY!

03-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
delmarco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Cool BMW Steel Performance Pedals Retrofit Done Right - Tips & Trick DIY!

DIY Time 5 minutes if you are lucky to 5 hours if you have no clue!

DIY Tools: Bottle Of Rubbing Alcohol. Torx T30 head for removing a T30 bolt. Broom/Dust Pan or vacuum. Flashlight-if you have a black interior or its night. Someone with small hands nearby.

DIY Difficulty: If you can pick your nose then you can do this DIY-even if it takes you 5 hours to complete.

DIY kit: BMW Stainless Steel Pedals - Mfg Part #35000410100 for automatic cars or Mfg Part #35000410099 if you have a manual car.
Buy it here:
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...Pedal/ES63251/

IMPORTANT RULES:

1- DO NOT Remove the metal frame on the brake (or clutch) pedals! They will not go back on easily and it can take up to an hour with lots of soap and water to get the metal frame back on. Keep the metal frame on and just use the alcohol to lube the rubber onto the base. The Rubbing Alcohol for a lubricant on the brake pedal literally makes what would be a 5 hour DIY into a 15 seconds slip on job. I started this with out the Alcohol, even taking off the steel frame-like one person suggested, and it was brutal.

AGAIN DO NOT TAKE THE METAL FRAME OFF!!!! That metal frame alone took me a hour to get back onto the rubber pad with lots of soap and hot water. Just use Rubbing Alcohol and slip it on from the top-doorside first then the bottom-doorside then the bottom centerside. Then when you get all three corners on you will need to do a hard push to get the final top-centerside corner on. You will have to push hard enough to depress the brake pedal all the way down! And then it will pop on.

2- my Accelerator Pedal's plug was oriented different than the steel replacement pedal. My plug unclips upwards whereas the steel pedal plug unclips-or clips in from the bottom up. I had to do a google search to realize BMW for no apparent reason makes two types of pedals that ONLY differ by the way this clip is clipped in. If you have the bottom facing clip in then this part of the DIY will be extremely easy and quick since access to the plug is clear to see and reach.

However if you are like me and have the upward facing clip then this part of the DIY will be the hardest!!!

Access to release the upward facing clip is extremely tight and the ONLY way I managed to finally get it (after breaking one of the anchoring clips) was to google an image of how the thing clipped into the pedal. Once I got a visual I realized a way for squeezing it off. Yes you have to squeeze it off. That is the solution BUT access to be able to get a proper squeeze and pull-upwards is hard.

DIY Video (more of a tips video than anything else):

Said and done it was worth it. Car looks like a $50,000 BMW now and not some Eastern European taxi cab!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW MODS & PROJECTS:
E90 - http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 03-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Appreciate 0