E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E91 - Replacing front and rear speaker.

08-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Henrico
Sweden

Drives: BMW 325i Touring '06

Question E91 - Replacing front and rear speaker.

Hi all,

just got my 325i Touring and I'm very pleased with it so far. (Only done 200 kilometres though.. )

The only thing I'm not that satisfied with is the sound. I have the standard BMW Professional system (comes with the comfort package here in Sweden) with the 4 x 4" door mounted full range coax-speakers and two subs under the seats. I'm not a bass buff but I want to have more clarity and depth in the music. Right now I feel like I'm missing out on half of the music.

Would just replacing the 4 door speakers do me any good or are we talking the whole nine yards to make anything good out of it? I've read a million threads here about it but haven't really found a clear answer to this. Replacing the professional unit itself or having "stuff" in the trunk is not an option though.

Thankful for any help..

//H
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Gitta
Kelly's 330i
United_States

Drives: 330i

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Gitta
If no one here can help you, you may want to visit BSW
'01 325xi | auto | TS-GDL-BW | ZPP | heated seats |........... mods | spoiler | mudguards | blackout grills | clear lights | halo projector headlights |
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Henrico
Sweden

Unfortunately I don't think the car will fit as carry on lugage the next time I fly to the US.

....and there's bound to be someone that has already tried just to replace them speakers, at least i hope so.

//H
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Dante
Major
Germany

Drives: F31 330d / E89 Z4 30i

Garage List
Please do a search, there are a million threads about this topic and several members who already did an upgrade.

There's also a DIY-file on changing speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
Henrico
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Please do a search, there are a million threads about this topic and several members who already did an upgrade.

There's also a DIY-file on changing speakers.
As I said, I've read a lot and there aren't any. There's a DIY-file on adding an amp and a sub, and I'm primarily not intrested in doing that. There's AFAIK not one on just changing front and rear speakers?

I want to know if just changing the four 4" is a viable solution. Changing the entire speaker system and adding a sub+amp is the solution recomended by my local car hifi-guy, I'm just not certain if it's worth it.... (We're talking 1200$+ vs ~300$)

//H
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Dante
Major
Germany

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrico
As I said, I've read a lot and there aren't any. There's a DIY-file on adding an amp and a sub, and I'm primarily not intrested in doing that. There's AFAIK not one on just changing front and rear speakers?

I want to know if just changing the four 4" is a viable solution. Changing the entire speaker system and adding a sub+amp is the solution recomended by my local car hifi-guy, I'm just not certain if it's worth it.... (We're talking 1200$+ vs ~300$)

//H
Well, then have a look at this thread, there are at least some pics of the mounting of the speaker chassis.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19036

You should be able to upgrade the speakers without changing the amp and subs.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
Henrico
Sweden

Installation is not the issue. I wouldn't be doing any installations myself anyway. I'm not fiddling with a week old car, I'm leaving that to trained professionals.

The only question I have is if changing the four door mounted speakers will have any positive effect.

//H
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #8
Dante
Major
Germany

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrico
Installation is not the issue. I wouldn't be doing any installations myself anyway. I'm not fiddling with a week old car, I'm leaving that to trained professionals.

The only question I have is if changing the four door mounted speakers will have any positive effect.

//H
The standard speaker system you have uses 4 100mm full range speakers made by Philips for treble/midrange.

I think any better (but not too expensive) coax tweeter/midrange unit will deliver a better performance in clarity, depth and soundstage. And I don't think you will have to replace the standard (2 x 160mm Philips) subs under the seats for achieving this as you pointed out not to be a bass buff.

The expensive part of the upgrade will be the fitment because of the unique 3 spot-mounting. Thats why I posted above mentioned thread.

I just wanted to help you, didn't mean to come across like a dumbass!

Please share your further experiences with the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 05:33 AM   #9
Henrico
Sweden

Thanks, that was the info I needed... (I felt like I was a bit RTFM:d when there wasn't actually one to read.. )

I'm looking at reasonably priced Morels, MacAudio or maybe Infinity. As the installation cost will be quite high as you say, around 200-300$ It feels like its better to "overspec" the speakers as I don't want to do the installation all over again later on.

If I want more bass later on I'm thinking of doing this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=e91
Simple, looks nice and doesn't eat up precious space.

//H
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 05:40 AM   #10
Joker
Private First Class
Finland

Drives: BMW 320i

Garage List
2005 320i  [0.00]
Henrico I'm looking for a similar upgrade to the speakers. So when you get the new speakers let us know what you got installed and how the sound improved!
      08-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
wurz154
Private
Italy

Drives: BMW 320d touring

WAIT

Henrico,
as mentioned above already, by changing the speakers with good ones is a good idea, however I would recommend to use 2ohm speakers like the original ones. The amp is designed and adjusted for such amount of volume that wouldn't "kill" the speakers, so by adding 4 ohm speakers you reduce that level by "half-ish", that could lead in a low max volume overall...
I might also recommend adding a post in the "marketplace" of this awesome forum to see if somebody sells the original "Professional 10 speakers package" or "logic 7"... Those 4" will fit perfectly... Lastly you might want to replace the under-seat sub as well which apparently are 6.5" for your system and 8" for the above mentioned 2 systems.
I am pretty sure whoever did the upgrade will sell the old ones for a "reasonable" money...
When I bought the car I decided to go with the 10 speakers so the car had grills and cables for a decent upgrade, but after been running the system for 6 month, I am very satisfied at the point that I will leave the system the way it is with the amp/sub added as you saw already.
Sincerly Max
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Henrico
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurz154
as mentioned above already, by changing the speakers with good ones is a good idea, however I would recommend to use 2ohm speakers like the original ones. The amp is designed and adjusted for such amount of volume that wouldn't "kill" the speakers, so by adding 4 ohm speakers you reduce that level by "half-ish", that could lead in a low max volume overall...
Yup... I've also seen that and it somewhat limits the choices. I've listened and looked at Infinity Kappa 42.7i which are 2 ohm-speakers that I think sound really really good, unfortunately they are as expensive as they are good, and clearly somewhat overkill for the rest of the system. About $200/pair here in Sweden.

Quote:
Lastly you might want to replace the under-seat sub as well which apparently are 6.5" for your system and 8" for
If it was hard finding 4" 2ohm speakers, this one looks even harder. So maybe I'll start with the door mounted speakers. If installing a new amp and a sub later up the road maybe these can be disconnected all-together instead?

Quote:
When I bought the car I decided to go with the 10 speakers so the car had grills and cables for a decent upgrade, but after been running the system for 6 month, I am very satisfied at the point that I will leave the system the way it is with the amp/sub added as you saw already.
We got a really good price for this car they had in stock so didn't have the choice to do that unfortunately. (Got a real good deal to trade in the Z4 ( ), so couldn't really refuse..)

//H
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
forfiter
Registered

Drives: 318i

Henrico,

If you still read this, please let me know which speakers you went for at the end and if you were happy with them. I got my BMW yesterday and I'm really disappointed with the sound...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0