E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit Microphone problem (Interesting Problem!)

06-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
jreich
Private First Class

Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

Bluetooth Retrofit Microphone problem (Interesting Problem!)

I am in the process of completing my bluetooth retrofit and ran into a problem. I got a TCU from ebay that was from the same year/model as my e92 335. The FZD was from an 06 330Ci (didnt color). I put everything together and the MIC doesnt appear to be working. I can connect my phone to the system and If I call someone if will automatically transfer it to the BT system. The only problem is I can hear there voice, but I cannot speak to them. So me being risky, I pressed the SOS assist button and BMW Assist picked up the phone and I could hear the guy talking, but I could not speak to them. They couldnt track my current position as well.

Next I looked at the back of the FZD and noticed there were only 2 wires in the 3 plug connection, I have a feeling I am missing a wire for the microphone.
Granted MICs can be a 2 or 3 pin connection, I am fairly confident this is a 3 pin device. So I looked at the wiring harness and found this :

This is a pic from the bimmernav DIY for BT with a 3rd clear wire

This is the plug to the TCU that I believe is the MIC connection with the 3rd clear wire:

I performed a continuity test and the wires that are at the TCU are not the same wires that the MIC is plugged into. The FZD unit I have had two MICS...one I believe would be for the Navigation system, and one for the TCU.
Questions are:
Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Where does the bundle of wires go after the MOST junction box? I'm thinking I can follow that shielded harness and find where it goes.

Do you think BMW can fix this without me digging into it? I'm assuming this is an error on their part because they didnt "PRE WIRE" the car properly.
      06-21-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
jimk
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 M/T

There was a member that had the same issue. I think the answer was to re-arrange the microphone pins at the lower right audio junction section around the passenger area.
jimk is offline   United_States
      06-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
jreich
Private First Class

Can you please elaborate? I traced the 3 wires that are coming from the TCU.... I believe the clear wire is a ground/shielding connection and not really necessary. So this makes the MIC a two pin connection. I traced the MIC connection from the FZD and it gets routed along side the passenger side air bag and it disappears by the fuse box. Now the 3 pin connection going to the TCU goes along the driverís side and cuts under the front drivers seat and looks like it goes toward the radio. I donít know for sure, but there might be 2 separate MICS, one for voice control for the NAV system (I donít have navigation) and one is for the Assist/TCU. I got a multimeter and tried testing continuity between the MIC wire at the FZD and the TCU, but they are not the same yellow/black wires. The clear wire becomes just a loose wire in that shielded connection, which makes me believe itís a ground. I am SO CLOSE!!!! I got my phonebook uploaded to the Bluetooth system and everything...I just have NO MIC! I have a really only Sony Ericsson z520a; I'm surprised it was able to sync properly. I also tried taking out the radio with no luck.
      06-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

Drives: E91 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
I'm assuming this is an error on their part because they didnt "PRE WIRE" the car properly.

I don't see why you need him to elaborate... sounds like there is a post on it. Do you have the wiring pinout of the TCU? That is how you will see what to do.

The 3rd "clear" wire is the shield ground. You have it, it seems to be floating. Pretty sure that's not gonna solve your problem.
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      06-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

Drives: E91 XDrive

Have you read this thread?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...icrophone+pins
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      06-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
jreich
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I have, but Evan @ Tischer said my car was good to go for the BT retrofit. I have read the "mainĒ retrofit page and haven't seen anyone run into this problem. The pdf's jimk has are for 1 series (probably similar for 3 series). I saw the schematic for the car system and its peripherals and how there is one MIC, junctioned to the TCU and the CIC. I will look behind the glovebox and try to locate this junction box. I really want to know if everyones MIC has the 3 wires going to it, or just 2 like mine. The salvage yard I went to took out the FZD and I was unable to go back there to see what the connections were.
      06-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
jreich
Private First Class

Great Success!!!!!

So I just have to take the glove box out, the bracket holding the glove box and a small screw driver to flip the connector tabs open and swap clear from pin 4 to 3. yellow 5 to 1 and black 6 to 2.

I am having trouble with the "dial name" function. I dont know if it is because my phone is 3-4 years old or what, but I can "dial number" just fine. I called my parents and they said the clarity is good too, so looks like this was a great success. Thanks jimk for the pdf info! If you already have a programed TCU, you dont even need the SOS button FZD, just a MIC. My BMW Assist works, but I think it would need to be reprogrammed for it to work properly. When I used to a couple of days ago the guy said I was in Ohio.
      06-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Technic is offline   United_States
      06-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
jimk
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 M/T

Nice. Now we need to uncover the MULF High Bluetooth mystery. Will let you know if coding with either the dealer or Autologic is possible soon.
jimk is offline   United_States
      08-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
oldwarhawk1
Registered

Drives: 2008 328xi; MT; sport; CW

Thanks for posting this. I just completed a bluetooth retrofit and had the exact same problem -- everything worked except the microphone. I had the dealer install the kit and the technician initially thought I had a bad wiring harness in the car. I printed out your post and emailed it to the dealer. Theh tech swaped the cables at the junction box behind the glove box as you suggest and viola! the mic starting working.

Two questions. One, does your name command work? I can voice command a number and that works, but if I voice command a name the system responds with "phone book empty" even though my contact list all downloaded.

Second, does your BMW assist work? My dealer said I didn't have the proper wiring for assist, but "assist" shows up in my menu so I'm not entirely sure I got correct information on that point.

Thanks again for your post. No telling how long it would have taken to complete my install without it!
      08-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
enforcerman
The Man

Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to enforcerman
THe phone book w/ the voice assist is different from your phone. You have to add those w/ your voice in the car. I'm assuming you DONT have idrive.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
enforcerman is offline   United_States
      08-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
oldwarhawk1
Registered

Correct. No idrive. No bluethooth manual either!
      08-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
enforcerman
The Man

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Ok. Then try this:

http://www.e38.org/BMW-03_00-Voice-Control-en.pdf

For the most part that will work.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
      08-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
oldwarhawk1
Registered

Thanks, Eforcerman. I'll check that out, but your earlier tip did the trick. I figured out how to create a voice phone book by accessing the voice "help" command.

Everything seems to be working now. This retrofit was pricey, but it works and for me was definitely worth it.
      08-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
enforcerman
The Man

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Once you have a name in the phone book, all you have to say is "Name" after you press the button. Then wait for it to prompt you for the name.
      12-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
marconi118
Captain

Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

do you know where is located the mic in the E93 cabrio ????
      12-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
do you know where is located the mic in the E93 cabrio ????
I think that it is somewhere in the steering column...
Technic is offline   United_States
      09-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
kepowers

Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
Great Success!!!!!

So I just have to take the glove box out, the bracket holding the glove box and a small screw driver to flip the connector tabs open and swap clear from pin 4 to 3. yellow 5 to 1 and black 6 to 2.

I am having trouble with the "dial name" function. I dont know if it is because my phone is 3-4 years old or what, but I can "dial number" just fine. I called my parents and they said the clarity is good too, so looks like this was a great success. Thanks jimk for the pdf info! If you already have a programed TCU, you dont even need the SOS button FZD, just a MIC. My BMW Assist works, but I think it would need to be reprogrammed for it to work properly. When I used to a couple of days ago the guy said I was in Ohio.
Hi jreich,

Thanks for the helpful info. I've been scouring these forums for a couple of weeks now - and performed the successful retrofit (using TCU and FZD from ebay and other parts from Tischer). Unfortunately everything seems to be working except for the microphone.

After reviewing your thread - I removed the glovebox panel and found the audio junction box where the microphone pins need to be rearranged. I was too afraid to swap any parts out because I could not tell what slots are assigned to which holes. In other words - you mention to move "clear from pin 4 to 3. yellow 5 to 1 and black 6 to 2." - but I could not even determine that mine were originally in that order.

Plus - I was having a terrible time reaching the junction box to make the changes.....

Any advice? I thought about removing the kickrest in addition to the glovebox - but even if I find a way to more freely access the wires I still cannot identify why slot corresponds to which number.

Thanks again!