E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Fallen612
New Member
4
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?

well so far i have only put dinan stuff on my car. and im looking at the stett intercooler, bov kit, and intake. but i want to know will it void my warrenty? thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
ThorsHammer
Major
ThorsHammer's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,389
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen612 View Post
well so far i have only put dinan stuff on my car. and im looking at the stett intercooler, bov kit, and intake. but i want to know will it void my warrenty? thanks guys!!!
If you take it to the dealer with that stuff installed, at a minimum you will get "flagged" and denied warranty service. At most, BMWNA can/will void your drivetrain warranty.
__________________
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
dreamnmotion
Second Lieutenant
dreamnmotion's Avatar
2
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

I took my car for oil change and state inspection the other day. They changed out spark plugs, and they tried to change out the air filter, but told me that I have 2 "canons" for intake already. They still gave me a brand new drop in filter anyways. I guess it depends on the dealer.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: US/UK

iTrader: (0)

It will void your Dinan Warranty.

- J
__________________
In Memory of LeRoi Moore 1961-2008.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Makushr1's Avatar
24
Rep
480
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Depending on the dealer, the IC and intake will be OK to some. I think a BOV kit will void the warranty at almost any dealership. I have no basis for my assumption, but that would be my guess. Just my $.02
__________________
2008 Montego Blue E90 ll Custom K&N Dual Cone Intake ll Aluminum OEM Pedals ll 25% Tint ll M3 Spoiler

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Driver72
Brigadier General
113
Rep
4,485
Posts

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

The intercooler is probably the least likely to affect warranty.
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Drakos
Lieutenant
Drakos's Avatar
17
Rep
513
Posts

Drives: 09 335xi E90/13 X5 35i M Sport
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
The intercooler is probably the least likely to affect warranty.
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
+1
__________________
Cobb S2+ | AR DP | Helix FMIC | BMS DCI | Forge DV | ER UCP | KW V1 | BMW Performance Exhaust | P3 DBG |
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
LiKWiD335xi's Avatar
Italy
2
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: '08 E90 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to LiKWiD335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
The intercooler is probably the least likely to affect warranty.
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
You have to remember that they warranty both their work and their parts. Dealerships can hassle someone over anything aftermarket because it's not a product from BMW and it wasn't installed by a certified tech. Installing something wrong can cause big problems also.

OP: I suggest researching your dealership and dealerships around you. If you can't find anything then get friendly with your SA and casually talk about parts you've seen for the car and see what he has to say about it. But don't start off with "Hey, I bought these parts - are they going to void my warranty?" cause that's just asking for it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
vase330
Colonel
vase330's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,687
Posts

Drives: E92 335i; 15.5 RangeRover ATB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arlington, Va

iTrader: (1)

And you assume SA is dumb enough not to know what you are implying already? Be careful insult the guy/girl's intelligence at your own peril. How about a straight up question if xyz would void warranty? That way you did not claim anything or try to lie etc, its a straight up question they should answer.
__________________
E92 335 | Space Gray | Saddle Brown Dakota | Dark Burl Trim | ZPP | ZSP | AT | Idrive | 6FL | FBO | Dinan CAI | Quaife LSD | STG3 PROCede.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #10
slowpoke
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
And you assume SA is dumb enough not to know what you are implying already? Be careful insult the guy/girl's intelligence at your own peril. How about a straight up question if xyz would void warranty? That way you did not claim anything or try to lie etc, its a straight up question they should answer.
Asking them straight up sounds a lot more suspicious than if someone was to make a casual conversation about mods and what the sa thought about it. =/ I mean obviously if you make it sound fake and ask obvious tell tale signs of modding then sa will get suspicious but if you can have a casual convo that doesnt revolve 100% around mods then I'd say its safe to assume he won't think much of it. Atleast it's a heck of a lot better than asking straight up if something voids a warranty. Makes it sound like you have it already installed in your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #11
JoeyFiasco
Major
JoeyFiasco's Avatar
16
Rep
1,211
Posts

Drives: '09 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: P'boro, UK

iTrader: (0)

so asking straight and honest questions makes you suspicious?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
113
Rep
4,485
Posts

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKWiD335xi View Post
You have to remember that they warranty both their work and their parts. Dealerships can hassle someone over anything aftermarket because it's not a product from BMW and it wasn't installed by a certified tech. Installing something wrong can cause big problems also.

Of course, technically they could give you a hard time about a drop in air filter too. But it's the probability I was talking about and what is "accepted" as aftermarket and what is not.
Most manufacturers and service centers have certain parameters of what they will accept and what they won't when it comes to aftermarket parts, etc. And again, there has to be proof something caused a failure.
It would be harder to blame a better intercooler on a failure than say DP's or something that's technically illegal.

Opening up a hood and seeing DCI's are usually more of a "shock" and red flag for mods than a relatively well hidden FMIC too.

You always mod at your own risk, but finding out which is "accepted" and what isn't per each dealer is what's best.

Keep in mind, techs get paid more for non-warranty work than they do for warranty work. So many techs have a reason to refuse warranty service if it can be blamed on an aftermarket mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 06:16 AM   #13
JoeyFiasco
Major
JoeyFiasco's Avatar
16
Rep
1,211
Posts

Drives: '09 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: P'boro, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Of course, technically they could give you a hard time about a drop in air filter too. But it's the probability I was talking about and what is "accepted" as aftermarket and what is not.
Most manufacturers and service centers have certain parameters of what they will accept and what they won't when it comes to aftermarket parts, etc. And again, there has to be proof something caused a failure.
It would be harder to blame a better intercooler on a failure than say DP's or something that's technically illegal.

Opening up a hood and seeing DCI's are usually more of a "shock" and red flag for mods than a relatively well hidden FMIC too.

You always mod at your own risk, but finding out which is "accepted" and what isn't per each dealer is what's best.

Keep in mind, techs get paid more for non-warranty work than they do for warranty work. So many techs have a reason to refuse warranty service if it can be blamed on an aftermarket mod.
really? so they have different labor charges? so let's say your car is out of warranty and you need something fixed they will charge you more than what they would charge BMW to fix something under warranty? i guess BMW gets a discount because of the dealer relationship? then there's a diff price for non BMW parts issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Spydeputy's Avatar
Germany
49
Rep
3,220
Posts

Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Harford County, Maryland

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
"you bet your sweet bippie" it will.

for all of you old enough to remember, "laugh in".
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Tman1800
Private
Tman1800's Avatar
1
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I asked my dealer about aftermarket parts and they told me if i ever have a issue with the car and it can be linked to my parts they would void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: Not a BMW yet...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
The intercooler is probably the least likely to affect warranty.
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
An intercooler also lets more air in. That's the whole reason for getting one. It cools the intake charge, making it denser, allowing more air to fill the same space, putting more air into the engine.
If your aftermarket parts cause your problem, then it's not covered. Same as if you filled up your engine with water from a hose (an yes, I've had a car towed in for that very reason). If you have an aftermarket intercooler, blow off valve, intake manifold, or other, and come in with an underboost code, we're going to charge you diagnosis to check it out. If the underboost is being caused by the aftermarket part, or the installation of that part, then you have to pay. That's only fair.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 04:00 AM   #17
SoCali E36
OOOOWEEEEE!
SoCali E36's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
3,095
Posts

Drives: 1997 E36 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where the road takes me...

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
Depending on the dealer, the IC and intake will be OK to some. I think a BOV kit will void the warranty at almost any dealership. I have no basis for my assumption, but that would be my guess. Just my $.02
umm just to correct you, i have a BOV and they dont get 2 shits about it being on there. i think if u had a FMIC they would question it more than the BOV or even intakes for that matter.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
AWD Addict's Avatar
38
Rep
2,513
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen612 View Post
well so far i have only put dinan stuff on my car. and im looking at the stett intercooler, bov kit, and intake. but i want to know will it void my warrenty? thanks guys!!!
Your entire warranty cannot just magically be completely voided.

Changing OE parts to aftermarket parts will likely void the warranty on anything related to the modification. So if you change the struts and springs, and a strut top needs to be replaced under warranty, you'll likely get voided. But if your engine starts misfiring, and you need warranty service, they can't void it it because of the suspension changes, because there's no way your suspension mods could have caused a misfire.

With an intercooler, BOV (Waste of money by the way), and intake, pretty much anything that goes wrong that could possibly be attributed to those mods will likely not be covered under your warranty. Even your drivetrain will likely have a meritous warranty denial, because more power was being put through it that it was originally designed for.

Modding cars does not mix well with warranties.

Get it?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
flem
.....
flem's Avatar
4
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Your entire warranty cannot just magically be completely voided.

Changing OE parts to aftermarket parts will likely void the warranty on anything related to the modification. So if you change the struts and springs, and a strut top needs to be replaced under warranty, you'll likely get voided. But if your engine starts misfiring, and you need warranty service, they can't void it it because of the suspension changes, because there's no way your suspension mods could have caused a misfire.

With an intercooler, BOV (Waste of money by the way), and intake, pretty much anything that goes wrong that could possibly be attributed to those mods will likely not be covered under your warranty. Even your drivetrain will likely have a meritous warranty denial, because more power was being put through it that it was originally designed for.

Modding cars does not mix well with warranties.

Get it?
It is up to the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure/problem before they void your warranty.

How is a BOV a waste of money? Especially when it will come with a hard pipe to replace the upper IC pipe?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
golfinz
Lieutenant
8
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (3)

If your worried about your warranty and you have mods...take them off before going in....PERIOD! Im not doing any mods I can't reverse in a few minutes/hrs (other than springs or coilovers). These threads are pointless and never go anywhere
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
STICKY335
Captain
United_States
42
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: E92 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Why not just take off the mods when you visit the dealer? saves all problems... its a hassle but IMO its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #22
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
LiKWiD335xi's Avatar
Italy
2
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: '08 E90 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to LiKWiD335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
And you assume SA is dumb enough not to know what you are implying already? Be careful insult the guy/girl's intelligence at your own peril. How about a straight up question if xyz would void warranty? That way you did not claim anything or try to lie etc, its a straight up question they should answer.
I didn't mean to go in and lie about anything. And I'm certainly not implying to try to get over on the dealership.

What I meant was to just talk about it but not by starting off with the question. Having a convo and asking questions are two different things. It's basically just to judge their view on mods. Some dealerships give more leeway than others and some SA's will give you a heads up when there's a problem before doing anything drastic - knowing this before you do any mods is a good idea.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST