E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #23
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
It is up to the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure/problem before they void your warranty.
that's right, however some mods are much more easily blamed for problems than others. I would put a BOV, a FMIC, and an intake into the category of more easily blamable, rather than say some new springs or an exhaust system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
How is a BOV a waste of money? Especially when it will come with a hard pipe to replace the upper IC pipe?
How isn't it a waste of money? It's a damned noisemaker for Christ's sake.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
ohaywood
Major
 
ohaywood's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Malibu, CA

Posts: 1,011
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ohaywood
I really wouldn't worry about the intercooler. The BOV could cause some problems, but I really don't know about the intake, since its such a common mod on so many cars.
__________________
ohaywood is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #25
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Does the OP have the Dinan flash? If so doesn't Dinan void their warranty if you install any other performance parts that are not Dinan?
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #26
flem
.....
 
flem's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV

Posts: 320
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
How isn't it a waste of money? It's a damned noisemaker for Christ's sake.
A BOV itself could be considered a waste of money... But when you get a hard pipe with it instead of the plastic pipe and rubber coupler BS that BMW put under the hood I do not consider it a waste...
__________________
flem is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
stimpy
Colonel
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ

Posts: 2,103
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
It is up to the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure/problem before they void your warranty.
I love when someone makes this statement. While it may be true, that's not how the real world works.

BMW and the dealership can give your warranty the finger at any point they want. It is then up to you to file a lawsuit and prove them wrong.
stimpy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #28
ianthegreat
Colonel
 
ianthegreat's Avatar
 
Drives: n54
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh/Houston

Posts: 2,314
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
An intercooler also lets more air in. That's the whole reason for getting one. It cools the intake charge, making it denser, allowing more air to fill the same space, putting more air into the engine.
If your aftermarket parts cause your problem, then it's not covered. Same as if you filled up your engine with water from a hose (an yes, I've had a car towed in for that very reason). If you have an aftermarket intercooler, blow off valve, intake manifold, or other, and come in with an underboost code, we're going to charge you diagnosis to check it out. If the underboost is being caused by the aftermarket part, or the installation of that part, then you have to pay. That's only fair.
Do you actively seach for aftermarket parts as a first step? Care to enlighten us a bit?
ianthegreat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #29
Octet
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i, E90, 08'
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 165
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to Octet
My dealer dose not have an issue with aftermarket intakes, the bov I've heard
other dealers flag, the fmic, I'm unsure, though I believe that assists lowering
pressure on the turbos.
Octet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #30
flem
.....
 
flem's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV

Posts: 320
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I love when someone makes this statement. While it may be true, that's not how the real world works.

BMW and the dealership can give your warranty the finger at any point they want. It is then up to you to file a lawsuit and prove them wrong.
If they make a habit of doing this they will have a class action lawsuit on their hands
__________________
flem is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #31
Terrance28
Brigadier General
 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX

Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
A BOV itself could be considered a waste of money... But when you get a hard pipe with it instead of the plastic pipe and rubber coupler BS that BMW put under the hood I do not consider it a waste...
Plus its alot stronger than the weak factory diverter valves.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Terrance28 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
flem
.....
 
flem's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV

Posts: 320
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Plus its alot stronger than the weak factory diverter valves.
exactly...
__________________
flem is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #33
Philritter21
Second Lieutenant
 
Philritter21's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Midwest

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

I have a JB2R, a custom dual cone intake, and solenoid bypass.

I brought my car into servicing for the first time after modding, and my SA and the tech basically gave me the green flag to modify my car how I want. He said BOV, IC, version 3 of JB or Vishnu (he mentioned them by name), catted dp, or exhaust is cool with them as long as I keep my end of the deal by not throwing a fit if my modifications directly cause whatever issue may arise. They even told me, because of the build date of my car, that if my fuel pump fails, they will replace it under warranty... get this, even after it expires, regardless of tunes.

PM me if you are in the midwest and would like to know what wonderful dealership this is.
__________________
Melbourne Red E90 M3 - E39 540i

The original user of the animated Bert and Ernie avatar. Except no substitutes.
Philritter21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #34
JayKay335i
Banned
 
Drives: ///M323 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Dakota; its best DUHHHHHH

Posts: 5,047
iTrader: (1)

The HPFP warranty has been extended to 120k miles and 10yrs or something like that.
JayKay335i is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      06-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #35
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post
I have a JB2R, a custom dual cone intake, and solenoid bypass.

I brought my car into servicing for the first time after modding, and my SA and the tech basically gave me the green flag to modify my car how I want. He said BOV, IC, version 3 of JB or Vishnu (he mentioned them by name), catted dp, or exhaust is cool with them as long as I keep my end of the deal by not throwing a fit if my modifications directly cause whatever issue may arise. They even told me, because of the build date of my car, that if my fuel pump fails, they will replace it under warranty... get this, even after it expires, regardless of tunes.

PM me if you are in the midwest and would like to know what wonderful dealership this is.
This is how the dealerships should actually be working. They should only deny a warrantied part if the mod had direct influence on that part failing.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #36
vegasspeed
Captain
 
vegasspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 761
iTrader: (1)

335i's weren't meant to run with Blow off valves. Putting one of those on your car COULD lead to problems. That is a waste of money since it adds no hp to your car and simply makes a woosh sound when shifting. The car wasn't designed with them so don't put them on the car. It is the easiest way to see if a car is modded. If you hear the whistle/woosh sound than you know something isn't right in Kansas.

As for the original question, I say any mod you do outside of Dinan will have a chance at causing some problem but this is the same for any car company. BMW just has more concerns since people are dialing up the boost to almost double the PSI and if something breaks they want BMW to fix it. Is that really fair? That's what I thought too.
__________________
335i coupe Montego Blue Dinan stage 3 tune, Advan RS wheels 350whp/365wtq
1994 Brooklands Green Acura NSX Comptech Supercharged 390whp/300wtq
vegasspeed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 01:19 AM   #37
Blue Streak
Gunny
 
Blue Streak's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 612
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [4.50]
I can clearly hear the turbos spooling and the diverter valves blowing off pressure with just an intake. Why bother with a blow off valve then? I don't think it sounds much different than if it had blow off valves.
__________________
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, E85/CA-91 oct 50/50 fuel on map-5, MS 3" downpipes, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Blue Streak is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #38
AKbmw
Colonel
 
AKbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LA

Posts: 2,901
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
I can clearly hear the turbos spooling and the diverter valves blowing off pressure with just an intake. Why bother with a blow off valve then? I don't think it sounds much different than if it had blow off valves.
its just MUCH louder which some people prefer (like myself)

im on the same boat, im debating weather or not to take off my BOV to take it in to the dealership. the only reason why i dont want to take it off is because i broke the little nipple on the manifold while installing it and had the body shop fix it for me. so i really dont want to F*ck around with that nipple uninstalling it and installing it over and over again. but then again if it comes down to keeping my warrenty, i will gladly take the chance of taking it out.
__________________
AKbmw is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #39
Blue Streak
Gunny
 
Blue Streak's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 612
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbmw View Post
its just MUCH louder which some people prefer (like myself)

im on the same boat, im debating weather or not to take off my BOV to take it in to the dealership. the only reason why i dont want to take it off is because i broke the little nipple on the manifold while installing it and had the body shop fix it for me. so i really dont want to F*ck around with that nipple uninstalling it and installing it over and over again. but then again if it comes down to keeping my warrenty, i will gladly take the chance of taking it out.
Well... I can see your point. I like the sound of it too, but I think I like the more subtle sound from just the diverter valves "blowing off" through the intake. I might want to just make sure that nipple thing is back to stock (or like stock) and secure, but I would put it all back to factory for any service. I hate having to replace my intake, tune and everything for simple service visits (because of the time, effort and extra beer), but I think it's got to be worth the peice of mind.

I'm even debating whether I need to remove my DAEOS (Vista) wiring harness because of the fact that the wire taps are so obvious at each of the light plugs and the that it goes into the ECU and taps into one of the wires there. It shows that I've obviously cracked open the ECU compartment and tapped into one of those highly technical, sensitive wires and they might not like that too much. I would feel comfortable leaving an aftermarket intercooler or suspension installed though.
__________________
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, E85/CA-91 oct 50/50 fuel on map-5, MS 3" downpipes, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Blue Streak is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #40
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
 
Drives: 4 Wheels
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Planet Earth!

Posts: 5,180
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
335i's weren't meant to run with Blow off valves. Putting one of those on your car COULD lead to problems. That is a waste of money since it adds no hp to your car and simply makes a woosh sound when shifting. The car wasn't designed with them so don't put them on the car. It is the easiest way to see if a car is modded. If you hear the whistle/woosh sound than you know something isn't right in Kansas.

As for the original question, I say any mod you do outside of Dinan will have a chance at causing some problem but this is the same for any car company. BMW just has more concerns since people are dialing up the boost to almost double the PSI and if something breaks they want BMW to fix it. Is that really fair? That's what I thought too.
The car was also designed to run on 255x35 rear tires, so don't put 275's back there. BMW designed the car to run on runflats that bubble constantly, so make sure you stay with them. BMW designed the car to run on a HPFP that fails on tons of cars. The bottom line is that just because the BMW came with the DVs doesn't mean putting a BOV on the car is bad. We have a T-MAP car and there is no "could" about it, a BOV cannot damage your engine. That is not an opinion, but a fact. If you don't like the sound then so be it, but please lets stop the misinformation about BOVs.
Former_Boosted_IS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #41
Terrance28
Brigadier General
 
Terrance28's Avatar
 
Drives: Crimson Red E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Killeen, TX

Posts: 3,336
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
335i's weren't meant to run with Blow off valves. Putting one of those on your car COULD lead to problems. That is a waste of money since it adds no hp to your car and simply makes a woosh sound when shifting. The car wasn't designed with them so don't put them on the car. It is the easiest way to see if a car is modded. If you hear the whistle/woosh sound than you know something isn't right in Kansas.

As for the original question, I say any mod you do outside of Dinan will have a chance at causing some problem but this is the same for any car company. BMW just has more concerns since people are dialing up the boost to almost double the PSI and if something breaks they want BMW to fix it. Is that really fair? That's what I thought too.
I hate when people add nonsense to the forum especially when this has been discussed a million times over. A bov will not do anything to your car, it is a tmap car. The car doesn't care if its diverted in or vent to atmosphere. a BOV is just another option for the car if you want something stronger than the weak factory diverter valves and you can enjoy the whoosh. The air you are diverting back in will not help those little snails spool any faster or help in performance. A bov does not hinder performance or make the car run any worse at all so please can we knock this off.
__________________
Mods list got too long, lets just say more than enough.
Terrance28 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #42
golfinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
I hate when people add nonsense to the forum especially when this has been discussed a million times over. A bov will not do anything to your car, it is a tmap car. The car doesn't care if its diverted in or vent to atmosphere. a BOV is just another option for the car if you want something stronger than the weak factory diverter valves and you can enjoy the whoosh. BMW put dv on the car for noise issues not because it was made to work only with the motor. The air you are diverting back in will not help those little snails spool any faster or help in performance. A bov does not hinder performance or make the car run any worse at all so please can we knock this off.
+1...this man speaks the troof. These crazy "bov will cause issues" thoughts go along with my theory that most* bmw owners don't know much about how cars work and bank on online forum hearsay...
golfinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #43
SoCalTech
Captain
 
Drives: Not a BMW yet...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca

Posts: 649
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
Do you actively seach for aftermarket parts as a first step? Care to enlighten us a bit?
Do I actively search? I'll look around if I suspect something. If you have an undeboost fault, then the obvious first step is to do a visual inspection. Any hoses blown off? Anything there that shouldn't be?
SoCalTech is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #44
chumley
Captain
 
chumley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 703
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I love when someone makes this statement. While it may be true, that's not how the real world works.

BMW and the dealership can give your warranty the finger at any point they want. It is then up to you to file a lawsuit and prove them wrong.
Exactly right! They don't have to prove anything to you. And despite what all the fanboys think about how their mods "improve" BMW's design, I seriously doubt you would win even a lawsuit with DP's or IC, or a tune. And realistically, other than people who are students or who sit at home writing iPhone apps for a living, who has time for that? Are you really going to go to court for a <$1000 HPFP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post
I have a JB2R, a custom dual cone intake, and solenoid bypass.

I brought my car into servicing for the first time after modding, and my SA and the tech basically gave me the green flag to modify my car how I want. He said BOV, IC, version 3 of JB or Vishnu (he mentioned them by name), catted dp, or exhaust is cool with them as long as I keep my end of the deal by not throwing a fit if my modifications directly cause whatever issue may arise. They even told me, because of the build date of my car, that if my fuel pump fails, they will replace it under warranty... get this, even after it expires, regardless of tunes.

PM me if you are in the midwest and would like to know what wonderful dealership this is.
Sounds like your dealer's service department has a much more of an enthusiast's attitude - good for you. I would be aware that one SA's opinion might not grandfather you into unlimited mods should he not be there in the future or if the service manager takes a harder line on mods at some point in the future.
chumley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST