E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > will intercooler, bov, intake void warrenty?

06-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #45
09335xibwm
Newer Member

Drives: '09 335i xdrive

You gotta pay to play

Here is how I look at it. If I can drive a car for less than $50K (total investment) that goes to 60mph in under 4 seconds (modded) and does the quarter mile in less than 12, all with the style, luxury and practicality (4 seats and AWD) offered by the 335i, I'm willing to pay for anything that breaks.

We're not going to get anything of this performance caliber, covered by factory warranty, for less than the cost of a new Z06 vette (73K with typical options), and personally I (and my wife especially) would be embarassed by the "macho" attitude of a vette (no offense intended if you own one).

I do think BMW should pay for any repair that isn't reasonably attributed to a mod, but I'm willing to take the risk to reap the reward!

Even if I spend 5 grand over three years due to repairs, I will have spent far less than $73K! What do we have to lose???
09335xibwm is offline   United_States
      06-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #46
soontobe
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 335i Pre-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
The intercooler is probably the least likely to affect warranty.
Afterall, it's actually BETTER for the car's engine than the stock one, since all it's doing is keeping things cooler.
If the dealer is an a-hole they could void it though, but they'd be hard pressed to prove an intercooler caused any damage to the engine.
And intake however supposedly allows more air in which could be interpreted as allowing more air than what was intended.
Skip the BOV's anyway, they are ricer like on <$30k cars, just plain silly on a BMW
Depending on what bov you plan on using. Some are made to hold more boost than a stock one so if your looking for performance upgrades this may not be a bad idea, but if your looking to a "sound" then yes I agree with the op that it's a waste of money and time and basically gets you unnecessary attention.
soontobe is offline   United_States
      06-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #47
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

The best answer is, it depends on your dealer. Going one step further though, if the warranty claim is of a serious mechanical nature, even a sympathetic dealer can't help you if the BMW regional rep gets involved. Caveat emptor.
808AWD325xi is offline   United_States