E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just got Dinan stage 2 and.......not that impressed

06-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Yeah that default mode is no good. I can't remember what causes this event to be triggered though.
As per ORB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Did some logging and I running stock boost pressure with Stage III... I should see 14.5 PSI but Iím getting 8- 9 PSI max. This is what was understood a year ago as default mode when something is not coded correctly.

Orb
Something not coded properly with the software
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Definitley get a hold of a boost gauge and see if it is hitting the adverstised PSI. Beg, borrow, or steal one from someone in your local forum that you can return. They are a simple install and it would be interesting to see the results.
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
just to throw this out there:

1) ybbiz is 100% correct, go out for a ride in a dinan2 and see how you like it. Ive been for a cruise in one and it was pretty good, but definitely not the brute force that you feel with the piggies even on stage 1 for v3 (havent been in a jb3..but i assume similarish for the equivalent map)

2) there have been a few posts in this thread about adding a jb+ to the dinan. there is no worse thing you could do for your car than stack tunes. One tune manages a lot of variables based on inputs, when you mess with those variables you start getting output that is not what the tune was programmed for. To me thats nothing but dangerous, and if you were buying the dinan because you were concerned about warranty...adding a JB+ is essentially throwing that warranty in the toilet for a lot of money...might as well start with a piggyback.

+1 to everything he just said

for the love of god....do not stack a tune.
      06-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
Turkey
Rep

Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE

I don't get it! All these people are going with the Dinan tune and spending thousands of dollars because they are afraid to voiding your warranty???!

Just get the JB3 and the BT tool and you won't ever have any issues for fraction of the price. Come on people!

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #27
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Wow after reading this I don't know what to think. I'm extremely close to getting a tune and was probably going to go dinan this week. I know the performance #'s are nowhere near JB3 or ProCede, but being that my car is an 09.....4 years of warranty is alot to throw away on a brand new car.

This is disappointing, I really was hoping the dinan tune would be worth the 2K....for both peace of mind and decent performance, though others have stated they are happy with the dinan tune.....but there's so many mixed reviews.

Damn, guess I'll be waiting a few more years to tune my car then......
Yeah there is abig difference stock vs any tune at all not just Dinan. But if you expect earth shaking difference, not gonna happen no matter what tune you get. I had Dinan on and chose to go stock later for my own reasons. PB are much stronger than Dinan, but the truth is it depends on what you care about. The stock car with the newer softaware is pretty damn good just like the original 25.x version software was that made the press rave. Now you should know the BMW software starts to fade after 8psi-ish. Thats where you feel the difference. Tuned midrange is stronger, but top-end is day and night. If you are an aggressive driver, tuned is way better. If you are a "civilized" type driver, you wont notice the tune much unless you get frisky. The stock car is stroing and fast enough IMO.
      06-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #28
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep

Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwitu View Post
I spent nearly a hundred hours reading every forum on the net when trying to decide what I was going to do to my '08 335 w/step. My conclusion, was the dinan was just slightly less 'powerful' than the V3. But, factoring in that I wasn't go to do anything else with the car and no hassles when taking it in for service, I figured I'll just go that route.

I read that sometimes you have to wait a couple days for the computer to 'learn', well 5 days later and not that impressive. I do think that there is some improvement, but no where near what I expected. If anything, I find more intial lag, then slightly stronger mid range. Absolutely zero traction issues, even though it's auto, I thought I'd still have some potential spin issues with factory rubber.

I understand that the factory numbers are underated, and I wasn't going to see a 40% increase in torque (300 to 420ft-lbs), but such a marginal improvment for more than 2k, what's the deal?

I'm going to take it back next week, but what should I ask them to be looking for? The dealership has done over a hundred flashes, and they say no one has complained. Was I just expected too much. I had an '06 330 before this, and was really really impressed with the stock 335i. I just kept reading that a flash/piggy back would add soooo much more.

Any thoughts?

Disappointed
All I can think of is the altitude puts a damper on things in Calgary. I've gotten all my Dinan stuff their and usually the dramatic improvement isn't noticed until I get back on the plains. But you should still notice it (even in Cowtown) and it should put a $2,000 smile on your face. Give the dealership/Dinan a chance to fix things for you.

They'll say it doesn't matter (because it is supposed to overwrite the software), but the people who seem to have the best results with Dinan are tuned over pre 29.2 and post 32.2 BMW software. With an '08 you may have the suck balls BMW software. So you could ask the to flash to stock, upgrade to the latest BMW software, and then flash over that. But I'm not the mechanic or engineer, and it isn't my product.

Also try some octane boost or race gas.

I hope you get it resolved!
      06-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #29
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
i have dinan SII clearly a difference b/w stock, clearly
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #30
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E92

Send a message via Yahoo to Terrance28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Wow after reading this I don't know what to think. I'm extremely close to getting a tune and was probably going to go dinan this week. I know the performance #'s are nowhere near JB3 or ProCede, but being that my car is an 09.....4 years of warranty is alot to throw away on a brand new car.
This is disappointing, I really was hoping the dinan tune would be worth the 2K....for both peace of mind and decent performance, though others have stated they are happy with the dinan tune.....but there's so many mixed reviews.

Damn, guess I'll be waiting a few more years to tune my car then......
My cars an 07 and I have a jb3 and still have my warranty.
      06-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #31
munters
Captain
Rep

Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M

don't do what others say including me but...
try first to fix the Dinan issue it does'nt sound right. second read in the forum and if you want to go an other route try it before buy it or order all and return those you don't keep. everyone will tell you always his tune is the best choose yourself.
      06-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #32
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

OP,

there are soo many versions of BMW software on our cars, even cars produced on the same line at the same time will be different (case in point 25k oil change i experienced).

when the flash is applied (IMO) you get around 85% of it's usefullness until the ECU adapts after a full tank and a few full throttle runs it'll be at 100%. Hell it could even be a HPFP problem... this would be recorded in the logs the dealer can check.

It's entirely possible the flash wasnt performed correctly. you should notice the following.
just a bit stronger 1-3k (almost not noticible), 3k-6k constant build of power. where the stock would still pull at 3k it wouldnt increase and feel kinda flat (bost remains at 8psi).

bottom line. you will feel the difference immediately after flash. If you dont bring the car back and have the dealer troubleshoot.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 01:11 AM   #33
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90

Check the paperwork and make sure SII was installed. Maybe you got SI.
      06-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #34
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i

Just got my Dinan stage 2 and I love it

I just got my Dinan stage 2 flash update. (335i, sport, manual). My 40th Biorthday presnet to myself. I've only had 30 minutes in the car, driving home from my dealership, but I really like it.

It is so smooth, the throttle response linear like my old 330......but much faster. At first I wasn't impressed, I expected more oomph. I accelerated onto the highway and I realized I was going 145 kmh in an 80 zone (90 mph in a 50 zone) and that I was in third gear not second. It really feels like I am one gear lower than I am. No, it isn't the fire-breathing V8 from an M3, but the 335 is 20-30k less, even after the Dinan flash.

I think a drive in Kananskis is on tap for tonight.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #35
i2iSTUDIOS
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

yesterday rolling at 15-20 mph in 1st gear and I floored it and lit the tires up. wha hoo. I'd hope dinan can do that too.
2007 E92 335i / 6MT / Monaco Blue Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Comfort Assist / Premium / Sport / Heated Seats / Navi / Active Steering / Active Cruise Control / Park Distance Control / Rear Sunshade / Sirius MODS PicoTray / M3 Steering Wheel / Front OEM Aero Lip / Bimmian Aluminum Pedals / CDV / Ram Air Scoops / Painted Reflectors / HID 5000k / LED Angels / M Perf. Shifter / Euro Light Switch / 8500 x50 / Center Armrest Pouch / JB4 / BT
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #36
Dunwitu
Rep

Drives: 2011 335xi SE

We'll I went and got it dyno'd. Not the cleanest curves (don't know what's up with the hp drop in the middle) and he had 'troubles' keeping it from shifting, but clearly you can see the hp and tq numbers are below 300. These numbers seem low even for a mustang dyno.

That all being said, the car is faster once it's already going. Definitely more power on highway.
Can the dealership add/change something to the dinan tune? As 'hubble bubble' noticed as well, not impressive off the line or at low speeds, but it does pick up in the top end. He had it done at the same dealership.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 335i Dinan Stage II on mustangdyno.pdf (200.2 KB, 190 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #37
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.09]
Send a message via AIM to CubanJJ09
pretty much you gained 30 trq? def. something wrong. back to the stealer for you
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #38
Dunwitu
Rep

Drives: 2011 335xi SE

Sorry I forgot to mention
Blue is Torque curve
Red is HP curve
Light blue is Boost curve
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #39
samps
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: Transit

Something is definitely not right. I dyno'd 322whp and about 360 wtrq on a mustang dyno, which is apparently supposed to be conservative. That was with Dinan Stg.2 and no other performance mods (except drop-in filter).

Compared to a stock 335, Dinan Stg.2 is a big improvement. Get it fixed by the stealer. If you are getting the right power, and still don't like it, ask for a refund and get a PB.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0