E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > A1 BMW Specialist (Stevenage) - Thank you



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Ess
Private First Class
 
Ess's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Midlands

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

A1 BMW Specialist (Stevenage) - Thank you

I did the 150 mile round trip to Stevenage this morning to have my ZF6HP gearbox serviced by A1 BMW, and it was absolutely worth it

I arrived around 8:30 and was warmly welcomed by Steve (good to meet you!). The reception area is a separate little outbuilding in front of the workshop, whose doors were open so I got to see everything going on. Steve even took me through into the workshop to show me my car on the ramp, which no other place I've been to before ever let me, even when I asked.

The premises are immaculate, the waiting area has comfortable leather couches, a good selection of magazines (even children's books, a nice touch), and a TV showing Sky News. Steve offered me a drink and kindly lent me one of their little courtesy Smart cars to pop out and get some breakfast while the work was carried out. Steve is great and very friendly - he explained the whole procedure to me beforehand, answered all of my questions, and gave me plenty of good advice about the best ways to look after my car.

They also did a full diagnostics with the same equipment which BMW use, and gave me the printout showing all the different modules and the fault codes generated by each of them. Steve took the time to explain this all to me, along with how to drive the car after the adaptations reset procedure which was also carried out. I also got to talk to the technician who worked on my car before I left. It was clear that my car was being worked on by people who actually care and love cars, rather than "just getting it done" which is the impression I've had from so many other places. Also, Steve got me a genuine ZF kit at a very good price, so all the parts were replaced with the very best. While I was waiting, I saw other customers being served and it was clear that A1 BMW don't cut corners; everything was very thorough and transparent.

I left around 12:00, and enjoyed the drive back home. I followed Steve's advice and drove the car gently at first, introducing some power towards the end of the journey and flicking through the gears on the paddles. It could be the placebo effect, but the gear changes really seem smoother than ever!

I can't recommend Steve and A1 BMW enough. What a friendly, professional service! I can only wish they weren't 75 miles away from me! Thanks again for everything Steve
__________________
Ess
2009 E92 335d M-Sport
Ess is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,852
iTrader: (47)

Seems like excellent work being done by Steve and his team.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Harley Mc Slow
Private
 
Harley Mc Slow's Avatar
 
Drives: Hartge B3 335i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Herts

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

Sounds like this is where im going to be taking my pride from now on, Steve has spent some time helping me out with advice on here, superb keep up the good work.
Harley Mc Slow is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
 
old grey steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK in Hertfordshire

Posts: 991
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
I did the 150 mile round trip to Stevenage this morning to have my ZF6HP gearbox serviced by A1 BMW, and it was absolutely worth it

I arrived around 8:30 and was warmly welcomed by Steve (good to meet you!). The reception area is a separate little outbuilding in front of the workshop, whose doors were open so I got to see everything going on. Steve even took me through into the workshop to show me my car on the ramp, which no other place I've been to before ever let me, even when I asked.

The premises are immaculate, the waiting area has comfortable leather couches, a good selection of magazines (even children's books, a nice touch), and a TV showing Sky News. Steve offered me a drink and kindly lent me one of their little courtesy Smart cars to pop out and get some breakfast while the work was carried out. Steve is great and very friendly - he explained the whole procedure to me beforehand, answered all of my questions, and gave me plenty of good advice about the best ways to look after my car.

They also did a full diagnostics with the same equipment which BMW use, and gave me the printout showing all the different modules and the fault codes generated by each of them. Steve took the time to explain this all to me, along with how to drive the car after the adaptations reset procedure which was also carried out. I also got to talk to the technician who worked on my car before I left. It was clear that my car was being worked on by people who actually care and love cars, rather than "just getting it done" which is the impression I've had from so many other places. Also, Steve got me a genuine ZF kit at a very good price, so all the parts were replaced with the very best. While I was waiting, I saw other customers being served and it was clear that A1 BMW don't cut corners; everything was very thorough and transparent.

I left around 12:00, and enjoyed the drive back home. I followed Steve's advice and drove the car gently at first, introducing some power towards the end of the journey and flicking through the gears on the paddles. It could be the placebo effect, but the gear changes really seem smoother than ever!

I can't recommend Steve and A1 BMW enough. What a friendly, professional service! I can only wish they weren't 75 miles away from me! Thanks again for everything Steve
You're welcome Seb as I said cars clean clean as a whistle really we carried out the full diag as we're there anyway re the gearbox checking everything so why not.. likewise we had time so resetting the adaptations wasn't a major chore so yes I asked for it to be done FOC, as I think it was the right thing to do, if time wasn't on my side on the day it would of been very difficult to achieve this but it was.

Anyway of thre pics that came out here's the few I took.



Your car in the air had a lok around as you did Kieron looked after you'd gone and didn't find any nasties whatsoever which is good alloys for your information are all straight not bucked and aren't cracked

Here's what you came in for.... this



Came off without complaint sligt sweating around the casing as you saw by the state of my hands but oddly the oil wasn't that bad I've seen/smelt worse for your information just under 6 litres (so I'm told came out) 6.6 litres went in



The above is where it all happens of course from what we can see there's nothing to worry about here, but its bloody technical in there



Using the genuine ZF kit gearbox sump once fitted was run up and fluid added in the time honored fashion(2 people one in the car being instructed as /when to run through the cars gears one underneath carefully adding fluid until the cars gearbox refused to take any more.

Volume of fluid used as I said was bang on what we see usually when doing these, to finish off of late we've opted to use a very thin seal of silicone which in Seb's cars case again like the others was added around the seal of the sump pan/gearbox case as we've found it commonsense to add this thin beed of silicone purely to help in later life re the usual sweeting issues.

Adaptations set test driven pronounced perfect.

Not a lot else to say as I understand it drive home was smooth, re the DPF as you know one code all cleared keep you're eye on thoings you know how to assist re forcing a re gen now any issues let me know.

Again thanks for entrusting us with the car and for your faith re coming all that way where I know the job could of been done closer to home

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Seems like excellent work being done by Steve and his team.
Indeed Sam and the next paitent is Farokh's 325 and I understand Sam you've seen this car before Started his car early as it was there so why not... so hopefully it'll be finished ahead of schedule



Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Mc Slow View Post
Sounds like this is where im going to be taking my pride from now on, Steve has spent some time helping me out with advice on here, superb keep up the good work.
No worries sent you a PM a little earlier
__________________
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Ess
Private First Class
 
Ess's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335d
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Midlands

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
You're welcome Seb as I said cars clean clean as a whistle really we carried out the full diag as we're there anyway re the gearbox checking everything so why not.. likewise we had time so resetting the adaptations wasn't a major chore so yes I asked for it to be done FOC, as I think it was the right thing to do, if time wasn't on my side on the day it would of been very difficult to achieve this but it was.

Anyway of thre pics that came out here's the few I took.

Your car in the air had a lok around as you did Kieron looked after you'd gone and didn't find any nasties whatsoever which is good alloys for your information are all straight not bucked and aren't cracked

Here's what you came in for.... this

Came off without complaint sligt sweating around the casing as you saw by the state of my hands but oddly the oil wasn't that bad I've seen/smelt worse for your information just under 6 litres (so I'm told came out) 6.6 litres went in
The above is where it all happens of course from what we can see there's nothing to worry about here, but its bloody technical in there

Using the genuine ZF kit gearbox sump once fitted was run up and fluid added in the time honored fashion(2 people one in the car being instructed as /when to run through the cars gears one underneath carefully adding fluid until the cars gearbox refused to take any more.

Volume of fluid used as I said was bang on what we see usually when doing these, to finish off of late we've opted to use a very thin seal of silicone which in Seb's cars case again like the others was added around the seal of the sump pan/gearbox case as we've found it commonsense to add this thin beed of silicone purely to help in later life re the usual sweeting issues.

Adaptations set test driven pronounced perfect.

Not a lot else to say as I understand it drive home was smooth, re the DPF as you know one code all cleared keep you're eye on thoings you know how to assist re forcing a re gen now any issues let me know.

Again thanks for entrusting us with the car and for your faith re coming all that way where I know the job could of been done closer to home

Steve
Thanks for the write up and the photos Steve, that's got to be the cherry on the cake - I am one very happy customer! Big thank you also for the complimentary adaptation reset and for the silicone seal Also thanks to Kieron!

She was always quite smooth with the gearshifts, but now she's smoother than ever
__________________
Ess
2009 E92 335d M-Sport
Ess is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
 
old grey steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK in Hertfordshire

Posts: 991
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Thanks for the write up and the photos Steve, that's got to be the cherry on the cake - I am one very happy customer! Big thank you also for the complimentary adaptation reset and for the silicone seal Also thanks to Kieron!

She was always quite smooth with the gearshifts, but now she's smoother than ever
Lovely
__________________
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
mob17
Brigadier General
 
mob17's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Middle Land, UK

Posts: 3,625
iTrader: (4)

I had my geabox oil changed too by Steve recently and had the same delightful experience. Great guy and someone who i'm sure i'll go to for future specialist work.
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Josh1a1h
Brigadier General
 
Josh1a1h's Avatar
 
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central North to West London

Posts: 3,706
iTrader: (2)

Definitely require this at some point soon!

Great stuff everyone at A1 Bmw specialists !!!!
Josh1a1h is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London

Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Steve, do you use seat covers - if you do I am coming to you next time... any chance of a pick up and delivery service from Caterham in surrey I will pay the cost....lol
rufnekfatboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #10
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
 
old grey steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK in Hertfordshire

Posts: 991
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnekfatboy View Post
Steve, do you use seat covers - if you do I am coming to you next time... any chance of a pick up and delivery service from Caterham in surrey I will pay the cost....lol
Oh god yes do we use seat covers, floor mats to as muggings here has to order them....

Re collection delivery I've been asked this before, sadly there's only 5 of us and that's it collection delivery is logistically impossible.

Other ways it can be done I guess is to transport the car up to us the downside of course is the huge expense. Sorry
__________________
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
gazz1971
Private First Class
 
gazz1971's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Derby

Posts: 109
iTrader: (1)

Top work as always Steve
__________________
AR Design Catless DP Mishimoto I/C BMS Oil Catch Can RB PCV Valve BMS DCI MIJ Catback Exhaust Running Cobb V3 Stage 2 .M Style Front Splitter M3 Lip on rear VMR 19 wheels and a mighty fine ice install .
gazz1971 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Adam1712
New Member
 
Drives: Bmw E92 335d
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex

Posts: 14
iTrader: (1)

I had this same job done by Steve and Kieron today and was equally pleased with the work done. The guys seem genuinely interested in their work which you can tell just by talking to Steve for 5 minutes. It's a 100 mile trip for me but I'll be going back next month for a remap! Thanks again Steve!
Adam1712 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Harley Mc Slow
Private
 
Harley Mc Slow's Avatar
 
Drives: Hartge B3 335i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Herts

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

Just had delivery of my 3" Vrsf downpipes, and have learned that although being a complete knuckle scraping job, Steve has advised me they will complete this for me.
Steve you supply the date, i will bring the plasters..
Harley Mc Slow is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
 
old grey steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK in Hertfordshire

Posts: 991
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1712 View Post
I had this same job done by Steve and Kieron today and was equally pleased with the work done. The guys seem genuinely interested in their work which you can tell just by talking to Steve for 5 minutes. It's a 100 mile trip for me but I'll be going back next month for a remap! Thanks again Steve!
Ah you see you know your user name now

But yep no worries(by the way if your good lady is missing her black cardigan I've stored it safe'n'well) had I of had a bit if time I'd of taken you over showed you around and done a few shots for the forum Burgas I was left on me own today it was a little difficult to do) but at least you say the sump-condition wise it wasn't too bad though you saw where the sump itself was leaking.

The mechatronics plug was as stated leaking quite badly(luckily the ZF kit has everything including this included)I'd of gotten well and truly covered in oil had I of bought that over, you car for your info dropped around 5.4 litres of oil (took 6.6litres so I'm told)so hadn't lost as much as it could of but as you stated had been spotted elsewhere before your purchase so you dine well to catch it and sort it.

But yes good to meet you and in the future fellow members(don't forget to jog my memory if your visiting though)so that I can take forum membership into consideration re labour quotes and parts costs as Adam discovered.....

Re Adam's car one of the few 75k 335d's lacking sweating swirl flaps(though still in situ)so that's good news but as explained worth looking st getting them removed fur future reference just in case they palsy up later on(there's a swirl flap post done a month or so ago where I had a car in and noted that even the later spec ones can be eroded) I'll find the link and pop it up on here girl you Adam.

But the re map no drama's Adam and we'll make it a bit fruity fir you if needed too

If you could leave a feedback for us on here Adam the boss gets to read these and trust me he'll remember http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews182031.html

Thank you

Steve
__________________

Last edited by old grey steve; 08-28-2014 at 03:35 PM.
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
 
old grey steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK in Hertfordshire

Posts: 991
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Mc Slow View Post
Just had delivery of my 3" Vrsf downpipes, and have learned that although being a complete knuckle scraping job, Steve has advised me they will complete this for me.
Steve you supply the date, i will bring the plasters..
Your call but as I speak I think the back end of next week is just possible but the start of September 8th 9th is getting busy so may be later that week PM me a date that'll work I'll check and we will hook it Harvey

Steve
__________________
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
Adam1712
New Member
 
Drives: Bmw E92 335d
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex

Posts: 14
iTrader: (1)

I know, sorry mate I had a mind block earlier lol I think that cardigan was there when we arrived though as she still has hers.

No worries though Steve I was more than happy with today(didn't know there was a forum discount either) so the price was better too!

I will look into the swirl flap issue and more than likely get it done the same time as the remap. I'll leave feedback on the review centre now too.

Cheers
Adam
Adam1712 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.
 
old grey steve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i SE
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK in Hertfordshire

Posts: 991
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1712 View Post
I know, sorry mate I had a mind block earlier lol I think that cardigan was there when we arrived though as she still has hers.

No worries though Steve I was more than happy with today(didn't know there was a forum discount either) so the price was better too!

I will look into the swirl flap issue and more than likely get it done the same time as the remap. I'll leave feedback on the review centre now too.

Cheers
Adam
no worries Adam and thanks
__________________
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST