E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Folding Plug



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
G33
Colonel
35
Rep
2,082
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb Folding Plug

Clever stuff. very innovative! something really boring just kinda got exciting!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/23/u...itish-adapter/
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
M3-FAST's Avatar
England
84
Rep
5,791
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Very innovative Why are all the clever ideas really so simple!! Just no one ever thinks of them!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
G33
Colonel
35
Rep
2,082
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

whoever invented it is going to be minted!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
M3-FAST's Avatar
England
84
Rep
5,791
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
He will get a shock if someone copies it tho'
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
E902717
Colonel
E902717's Avatar
England
27
Rep
2,402
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

So simple but effective! Us brits are the best inventors
__________________
Car: 2011 BMW E91 335D M-Sport
Previous: 2010 BMW E70 X5 3.0D M-Sport - last seen going backwards in a hedge

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
64
Rep
4,419
Posts

 
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kensington, London

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
So simple but effective! Us brits are the best inventors
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
E902717
Colonel
E902717's Avatar
England
27
Rep
2,402
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
apart from that!
__________________
Car: 2011 BMW E91 335D M-Sport
Previous: 2010 BMW E70 X5 3.0D M-Sport - last seen going backwards in a hedge

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
E902717
Colonel
E902717's Avatar
England
27
Rep
2,402
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

try these:-

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...inventors.htm;)
__________________
Car: 2011 BMW E91 335D M-Sport
Previous: 2010 BMW E70 X5 3.0D M-Sport - last seen going backwards in a hedge

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Clever idea!

The Titanic was an amazing piece of engineering of the day and admittadly was flawed because the bulk heads didn't go upto the decks, allowing water to flow from one compartment to the next. Had each compartment been water tight then the fatal human error that created the collision with the iceberg would not have had the disastrous outcome that unfortunately occurred.

Some other British inventions:

Anemometer
Disc brakes
Tincan
Cats eyes
Portland cement
Cordite
Depth charges
Diving equipment/scuba gear
Electric motor
Electric magnet
Fax machine
Internal combustion engine
Kelvinscale
Jet engines
Lawnmower
Light bulbs
Locomotive
Penicillin
Periodic table
Periscope
Polyester
Radar locationg of aircraft
Rubber bands
Seed drill
Seismometer
Seismograph
Sewing machines
Shrapnel
Steam engine
Steel production
Submarine
Spinning jenny
Spinning mule
Spinning frame
Television
Thermos
Toilet paper
Universal joint
Vacuum cleaner
Viagra
Waterproof fabric
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Clever idea!

The Titanic was an amazing piece of engineering of the day and admittadly was flawed because the bulk heads didn't go upto the decks, allowing water to flow from one compartment to the next. Had each compartment been water tight then the fatal human error that created the collision with the iceberg would not have had the disastrous outcome that unfortunately occurred.

Some other British inventions:

Anemometer
Disc brakes
Tincan
Cats eyes
Portland cement
Cordite
Depth charges
Diving equipment/scuba gear
Electric motor
Electric magnet
Fax machine
Internal combustion engine
Kelvinscale
Jet engines
Lawnmower
Light bulbs
Locomotive
Penicillin
Periodic table
Periscope
Polyester
Radar locationg of aircraft
Rubber bands
Seed drill
Seismometer
Seismograph
Sewing machines
Shrapnel
Steam engine
Steel production
Submarine
Spinning jenny
Spinning mule
Spinning frame
Television
Thermos
Toilet paper
Universal joint
Vacuum cleaner
Viagra
Waterproof fabric
Helen, I want to think that you just reeled that little lot off the top of your head. Good effort you (oh, and the clever inventors did okay too I s'pose)
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Lol, no I didn't John and would only admit the same. I knew about the Titanic and approx one third of the inventions.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
7,504
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
The British didn't build the TITANIC, the Irish did, in Belfast at Harland & Wolff. It was also designed by an Irishman, Thomas Andrews. But don't forget, they also built the OLYMPIC and BRITANNIC.

As for inventing, I'm pretty sure the nationality of the first person to sail has been lost to history.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
Clever stuff. very innovative! something really boring just kinda got exciting!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/23/u...itish-adapter/
Not that impressed with it as a bit of design, but the thread is funny.

All those Americans arguing that our electrical system is antiquated because our plugs are too big????

I'd argue that appliance fuses, proper earthing and ring main systems are slightly more important than the size of the plug.

Americans even think that they invented the light bulb, despite the fact that Davy and Swan both developed light bulbs before Edison. (Davy almost 100 years before).

I also had someone arguing that Edison invented the telephone the other day. They'd never heard of Alexander Graham Bell.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
The British didn't build the TITANIC, the Irish did, in Belfast at Harland & Wolff. It was also designed by an Irishman, Thomas Andrews. But don't forget, they also built the OLYMPIC and BRITANNIC.

As for inventing, I'm pretty sure the nationality of the first person to sail has been lost to history.
The constitutional roots of Northern Ireland lie in the 1800 Act of Union between Great Britain and Ireland. But true, the Irish have a strong ship building tradition.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
7,504
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
The constitutional roots of Northern Ireland lie in the 1800 Act of Union between Great Britain and Ireland. But true, the Irish have a strong ship building tradition.
Are you saying, then, that the TITANIC was built in 1909-12 by the British?
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #16
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Are you saying, then, that the TITANIC was built in 1909-12 by the British?
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was the formal name and the state form of the United Kingdom from 1 January 1801 until 12 April 1927. It was formed by the merger of the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland.

Following Irish independence on 6 December 1922, when the 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty came into effect, the name continued in official use until it was changed to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland by the Royal and Parliamentary Titles Act of 1927.

So no, technically not British but were part of the United Kingdom. Today of course you have the 'Orange men' who class themselves as British.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST