E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > break in oil change - recommended ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
blackpepper
Private
 
Drives: bmw 335xi coup
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mid west

Posts: 75
iTrader: (1)

break in oil change - recommended ?

Hi
I have just gotten to 1900 miles on my 335i coupe. I have heard that some guys do their break-in oil change so i went and talked to my service-adviser who said that this is not part of BMW recommendation for regular maintenance.
How solid is your observation/recommendation to do this, shall i insist on doing this ? is there anything wrong if I don't ? just wanna do the right thing for this car !!!!
Thanks
BP
blackpepper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
742
Major
 
Drives: E90 325i; 1974 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

Posts: 1,189
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpepper View Post
Hi
I have just gotten to 1900 miles on my 335i coupe. I have heard that some guys do their break-in oil change so i went and talked to my service-adviser who said that this is not part of BMW recommendation for regular maintenance.
How solid is your observation/recommendation to do this, shall i insist on doing this ? is there anything wrong if I don't ? just wanna do the right thing for this car !!!!
Thanks
BP
If you want to do it fine. But BMW won't pay for it. On one hand there have been some oil analysis results that support an break-in oil change (IMO), on the other these engines are clearly running just fine past 50k on the BMW schedule.

For what it is worth, which is nothing since this is the Internet, I did mine at 2,000 miles. But then I am planning to keep the car for 10 years/ 200k.
742 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
iheartsole
Brigadier General
 
iheartsole's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 4,931
iTrader: (2)

its only recommended for the M3 to have they're oil changed.
iheartsole is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
simsimi1004
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 335i Cabriolet
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC Canada

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

im at 12k KM. right now and still havent changed yet.
the computer says to change at 24K km i think but i wanna do it earlier...
will bmw do it free? i have that v6 service package or something
simsimi1004 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Delta0311
Brigadier General
 
Delta0311's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 3,099
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
im at 12k KM. right now and still havent changed yet.
the computer says to change at 24K km i think but i wanna do it earlier...
will bmw do it free? i have that v6 service package or something
It depends, you are technically entitled to one free oil change a year. Honestly, you can change the oil yourself and it only take about 15min to do. Change your oil every 5,000 miles and then go in for your free oil change at 15,000 miles.
Delta0311 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: too broke for a BMW
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: i get around..

Posts: 1,872
iTrader: (1)

id suggest doing it. it making a difference is debatable...but id personally never go 15k between oil changes..but what do i know? i just work on em every day...
volkswackin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Joeb427
BMW CCA Member #420698
 
Joeb427's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 724
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
im at 12k KM. right now and still havent changed yet.
the computer says to change at 24K km i think but i wanna do it earlier...
will bmw do it free? i have that v6 service package or something
Delta is correct.
I'll only do about 7K if that a year and don't want to wait till 15K miles.
I called my dealer's service and was told I can get a free oil change and filter once a year which works for me.
Although,I'm not crazy about Castrol BMW synthetic oil.
I'm going to change the oil myself at 1000-1200 miles and use the BMW oil.
Joeb427 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
mackaikai
addicted to E90post.com
 
mackaikai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW E92 Jetblack
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 470
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to mackaikai Send a message via MSN to mackaikai
i bought my car and i got a break-in oilchange.
if i leased my car, then it's another story =p
mackaikai is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
It depends, you are technically entitled to one free oil change a year. Honestly, you can change the oil yourself and it only take about 15min to do. Change your oil every 5,000 miles and then go in for your free oil change at 20,000 miles.
FIXED!
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #10
Andy M
 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,207
iTrader: (5)

Do the oil change. The argument for doing one is that during the break-in period, the parts are being worn down to their proper fits so there will be small pieces of metal in the oil which needs to be flushed out. After a certain number of km's, the car's parts will be worn down sufficiently and so the oil will be clean after the change.

Those who argue against the oil change say that modern engineering has gotten so precise that everything will be a perfect fit and so there won't be much of anything worn down at all.

In my opinion, from my background as an engineer and quality control, modern engineering may be that good but no one ever gets it 100% perfect. We can come close but we'll never get that good. On an assembly line, random sampling is done to determine if the batch is good or not. There's still a chance that we pick one good one out of the batch and the rest are actually bad.

Just think of it this way. Doing an oil change is faster and cheaper than having to fix something that goes wrong later.
Andy M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
mtechnik3
Colonel
 
mtechnik3's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI

Posts: 2,336
iTrader: (21)

If you don't care about the car or are just leasing and plan on turning it in, then it's up to you. If I owned it I wouldn't skip. Oil analysis proves these engines show high aluminum content during break in. You think it's good to let that junk sit in there for 7000 to 15000 mile, depending on when the next oil/filter change is?? BMW used to do a 1200 mile service on all new cars...now miraculously these new engines don't need it. Any car will benefit from a break in oil change.
__________________

2013 335i M Sport | Alpine White
mtechnik3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
jimk
Captain
 
jimk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 M/T
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 1961 Stout Street, Suite 1823, Denver CO 80294

Posts: 677
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Do the oil change. The argument for doing one is that during the break-in period, the parts are being worn down to their proper fits so there will be small pieces of metal in the oil which needs to be flushed out. After a certain number of km's, the car's parts will be worn down sufficiently and so the oil will be clean after the change.

Those who argue against the oil change say that modern engineering has gotten so precise that everything will be a perfect fit and so there won't be much of anything worn down at all.

In my opinion, from my background as an engineer and quality control, modern engineering may be that good but no one ever gets it 100% perfect. We can come close but we'll never get that good. On an assembly line, random sampling is done to determine if the batch is good or not. There's still a chance that we pick one good one out of the batch and the rest are actually bad.

Just think of it this way. Doing an oil change is faster and cheaper than having to fix something that goes wrong later.

I'm thinking we should replace all fluids (except coolant) at 1500 miles. I know in my 2003 M5, BMW recommended diff fluid change at 1200 mi. I plan to change them all, from the manual tranny to all the diffs and transfer case.
jimk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST