E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > oil temp question

06-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
TXLFC
Rep
Drives: Jeep GC

oil temp question

2011 335i N55 question...

I know there are dozens of threads about oil temperature/how high is too high/etc., but I'm having trouble getting insight to a particular scenario.

I know these cars run hot, as is typically the nature of turbo cars. If I'm driving around the city, my temp gauge reads around 240ish (just slightly left of the 250 line). When idling it will cool down to maybe 230 or so.

What I've noticed specifically, and where my question comes in, is that if I'm driving at higher speeds (i.e. on the highway), the oil temperature tends to rise further beyond the 240 mark. And I'm not talking about spirited driving, just cruising at 70-75mph for example (between 2000 and 2500 approx.) it will want to rise to 250 and sometimes go just slightly past. I've not taken a road trip in the car, so I'm not sure what would happen if that speed was maintained for multiple hours. Once I slow down to city driving speeds, the temp will come back down to the 240 range. Is this normal? I'm guessing it's due to the turbos being engaged more when RPM's are above 2000 that's driving the temperature up, but just seems odd that the car continues to heat up while simply cruising on the highway.

It was starting to make me wonder if the secondary oil cooler is being engaged (i.e. is the thermostat for it opening properly), but wanted to check if most others experience the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Bamaben
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

It's normal to fluctuate a little like that. As long as you're not at 270 everything is fine

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Get the AD thermostat and see less than 220 degrees at 80 mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
TXLFC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Get the AD thermostat and see less than 220 degrees at 80 mph.
Is it the same as the Burger Tuning one? http://burgertuning.com/sport_oil_cooler_valve.html

Do these do anything other than send oil to the secondary cooler sooner? Seems like that helps take it longer to warm up, but once it gets warm it's no better than the factory thermostat that would have also opened at that point. Or am I misunderstanding how they work?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Cory S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

These engines were designed to run hot for emissions, not just because they are turbocharged. The oil temperatures in most passenger cars and trucks usually run in the 225-245*F range. However, BMW really keeps the cylinder head and cylinder walls much warmer than domestics. The water temperature is ECU/DME controlled, and runs as high as 219-223*F while just cruising. I really wish there was an easy way to lower water temperatures back down into the 195-205* range easily. If you ever watch the real time water temperatures (through a Cobb display monitor, or JB4 live data window) you will see, that when you are applying more load on the engine, the ECU/DME will drop the water temperature quickly down into the 200* range though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 12:26 AM   #6
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLFC View Post
Is it the same as the Burger Tuning one? http://burgertuning.com/sport_oil_cooler_valve.html

Do these do anything other than send oil to the secondary cooler sooner? Seems like that helps take it longer to warm up, but once it gets warm it's no better than the factory thermostat that would have also opened at that point. Or am I misunderstanding how they work?
You totally are right about the warmup thing. There is a thread here somewhere discussing that. From the posts the AD is the happy medium between your engine staying cool, and warming up fast enough to provide heat in the winter. The anodized red Burger one does look much cooler though. It was 97 degrees here in Tejas today, and my oil was 218 while cruising at 80 mph. From the other info I have read here, the poster above is right about the emissions being less at higher engine temp.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
TXLFC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
You totally are right about the warmup thing. There is a thread here somewhere discussing that. From the posts the AD is the happy medium between your engine staying cool, and warming up fast enough to provide heat in the winter. The anodized red Burger one does look much cooler though. It was 97 degrees here in Tejas today, and my oil was 218 while cruising at 80 mph. From the other info I have read here, the poster above is right about the emissions being less at higher engine temp.
Thanks Ozzie - do you have the AD thermostat installed on your's? Also, is this the one being referred to: http://www.ad-eng.net/store/p19/BMW_...hermostat.html

Does the AD one still have a delay in opening, just a shorter one than the OEM?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

I find my temps do exactly the opposite of yours. At cruising speed on the highways, it sits around 235, and in stop and go traffic in the city, it goes up to 250.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #9
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLFC View Post
Thanks Ozzie - do you have the AD thermostat installed on your's? Also, is this the one being referred to: http://www.ad-eng.net/store/p19/BMW_...hermostat.html

Does the AD one still have a delay in opening, just a shorter one than the OEM?
Yep, that's the one I installed in my ride. The Burger looks cooler with the red anodized aluminum, but people here claim that in cold months it does not allow oil temps to come up fast enough to allow their cars to provide heat in winter months, hence it must be taken out and replaced by the stock unit. I for one have no use for that. I paid AD for a jack pad that I never got, so trust me, I am no shill for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
KNS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
The water temperature is ECU/DME controlled, and runs as high as 219-223*F while just cruising. I really wish there was an easy way to lower water temperatures back down into the 195-205* range easily. If you ever watch the real time water temperatures (through a Cobb display monitor, or JB4 live data window) you will see, that when you are applying more load on the engine, the ECU/DME will drop the water temperature quickly down into the 200* range though.
It's good and bad. I also wish these things would run cooler in day to day driving. I have a P3 vent gauge and have noticed the same thing about fluctuating water temp. BMW likes it to run on the hot side for emissions but I do think it is a cool trick to have the water temp drop when engine demands rise (heavy throttle or climbing up a mountain). Porsche has now started to incorporate the same style water pump in the 911s.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
Hpirx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

My 08' 335xi came stock without an oil cooler. Most of the time it sat in the 240-250 degree range regardless of around town or highway driving. 3 weeks ago had a new Oil filter housing w/connections to a cooler put on along with an oil cooler, stock thermostat. Saw a little, but relatively insignificant lowering of temps. Had the AD engineering T-stat put in last Wednesday. Wow. Barely gets past 180 city or highway. 2 HPDE track days at Watkins Glen this past weekend and maybe hit 220 (degrees F, not MPH!) No limp. Very satisfied. Shout out to Keith and Tony Vargas at MNC Performance in Oceanside, NY for hooking me up.
Appreciate 0