E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Getting transmission oil changed ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Platinum_e92
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 3 coupe
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Getting transmission oil changed ?

Hey guys, new owner of 2008 328 COUPE.
At 150k KM I think I should get tranny oil changed!
Went to a reputable Indy BMW mechanic in my area today
He said $220 for the fluid change. Should I get it done ?
My car has the GM transmission I think, but you guys will know better!
It's an 08 328i.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Platinum_e92
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 3 coupe
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Oh and he also said that the transmission fluid will start to leak anyways because the seals go bad. Around what mileage does that happen ?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
jt335i
Captain
jt335i's Avatar
67
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Click on the link to find various posts on this topic: http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...rchid=49899248

GM Tranny Cars = 328i
Regarding leaks, every car mileage is different and depends how the owner drives the car (easy, spirited, hot rod, etc.), traffic environment (heavy stop and go traffic, highway driving, combo city/hwy driving) and the frequency they drive it.
Every time I bring my ride to my trusted mechanic for service, he checks everything including the transmission for leaks. Had my car serviced last month by him to replace the valve cover and oil filter housing gasket and he gave everything a thumbs up A-OK.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport Auto-Steptronic, BMW PE, Cobb Stage 2
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 03-07-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
STR8-6IX
Colonel
STR8-6IX's Avatar
Canada
258
Rep
2,373
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum_e92 View Post
Hey guys, new owner of 2008 328 COUPE.
At 150k KM I think I should get tranny oil changed!
Went to a reputable Indy BMW mechanic in my area today
He said $220 for the fluid change. Should I get it done ?
My car has the GM transmission I think, but you guys will know better!
It's an 08 328i.
the transmission fluid for your GM unit is due at 160,000km. now is a good time to change it.

you were quoted a good price. make sure he also changes the filter and do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
TitanLH8
Lieutenant
TitanLH8's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
521
Posts

Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
the transmission fluid for your GM unit is due at 160,000km. now is a good time to change it.

you were quoted a good price. make sure he also changes the filter and do it.
^ I agree, that is a good price. I just had mine done this past weekend and I could definitely feel a difference. Indy shops around my area were quoting between $700-900 for this job but ended up finding a shop that did it for $300
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
STR8-6IX
Colonel
STR8-6IX's Avatar
Canada
258
Rep
2,373
Posts

Drives: 2011 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLH8 View Post
^ I agree, that is a good price. I just had mine done this past weekend and I could definitely feel a difference. Indy shops around my area were quoting between $700-900 for this job but ended up finding a shop that did it for $300
you paid $300 for your ZF trans? did they change the pan filter as well? lucky..

yea bro, it makes a big difference. I did mine at 67k and noticed less torque converter lag down low, quicker and smoother shifts. at which mileage did you do yours?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
TitanLH8
Lieutenant
TitanLH8's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
521
Posts

Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
you paid $300 for your ZF trans? did they change the pan filter as well? lucky..

yea bro, it makes a big difference. I did mine at 67k and noticed less torque converter lag down low, quicker and smoother shifts. at which mileage did you do yours?
I brought the all the hardware and fluid, which was around $250, so in all, around $550 for the entire job for parts and labor
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST