E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3-series GT (gran turismo) confirmed for production

07-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #67
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
Sorry to quote the whole post, but you make good points.

You're right on the fact that people are looking for better fuel efficiency, smaller cars, yet retaining the luxury, fun and good handling that BMW can offer. BUT, you have to combat years and years of American thinking when it comes to automobiles. If you look at American autos, Chevys, Fords and most Chryslers have been looked upon as generic, cookie-cutter people movers, especially after the oil embargo in the early 70's. Before that, American cars were synonymous with luxury and prestige if not performance. Since then the only real "American Luxury" brands have been Cadillac and to a lesser extent Lincoln. I'm not trying to compare a 3-series to a Cadillac or even that it's a luxury car, but it is a luxury brand. Cadillac took a huge hit with the Cimmarron, which attempted to take a luxury brand, make an affordable car of it and failed miserably. I would hate to see BMW go the same route by bringing over "Cimmarons" to try to appeal to more car buyers. The 3-series GT, although not cheap, to me is a "Cimmaron".

Now, the 1-series. While for everything I've read, viewed and seen with my own eyes, it's BMW in every sense. But, it's also fairly expensive for a small car, again albeit, a BMW. One reason why I don't think it's the 2002 reincarnated is because of the expensive nature of the vehicle. That's fine, the 2002 was needed to get BMW into the game, but now they're in. There's no reason to go back to the days of the econo-box car, even if it does have great handling/performance. That's what I'm afraid of with possibility of BMW bringing in "more affordable" cars. When I mean "more affordable", I'm not talking cheap or inexpensive, I'm talking entry-level vehicles to compete with the likes of Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Saturn, etc. That to me cheapens the BMW brand and it's image.

Back to the GT, it's a nod to the wishes of consumers who haven't traditionally been interested in BMW, even though most purchasers are aware of what BMW brings to the table. That's what bothers me most and someone put it very accurately when they said "BMW is answering questions no one is asking". We go from performance/luxury-oriented vehicles to straight people-movers with rear wheel drive. Without soul.

That's why I'm against the GT/X6/crossover concept. That's why I'm not a fan of the Panamera/Cayenne either. As a former Porsche owner, even if I was a current Porsche owner, I'd be bothered by those as well.

But, you make good points, the 135i from what I've seen with my own eyes is a great car, and your choice of the WRX is also to be commended. I own an Impreza RS as well. 'Course we could also talk about what Subaru has done with the WRX/Impreza RS line as well. They went from a cool-looking coupe, to a four-door sedan, to a five-door hatch. OY, I think the new WRX is ugly!
I'm quoting the whole post as well. My apologies. Point taken with the Cimmarron, as that was a huge flop in its day. I don't see the GT as that though. I see the GT as BMW's response to the 'coupe' style sedans such as the Mercedes CLK, VW CC, and upcoming Audi A7. Though in BMW fashion, they are doing it slightly different by adding a more utilitarian function. With that being said, I don't really like what I see with these GT's. My argument was geared toward BMW bringing over the 4 cylinders, more diesels, and the hatchbacks. I think those things will help BMW in the long run. Time will tell how these GT's fare.

Speaking of "more affordable" cars, I don't think models that would compete with the VW GTI, Audi A3, or Volvo C30 would cheapen the brand or image. Now, if they did decide to sell true entry level models to compete directly with the Kia's and some Hyundai's, I would tend to agree with you. In that arena, BMW also has the Mini brand to compete. Concerning the 1 series, I agree that is not a reincarnated 2002. That's just good 'ol marketing hype.

As you said, some of these new models are definitely lacking soul. In the case of the Cayenne though, it did help to keep Porsche an independent company. I guess it is sort of a catch 22.

I completely agree about the new WRX; it's ugly as sin. I really wish they hadn't decided to make the design more mainstream. Hold on to that RS of yours. Those cars truly do have a cult following.
      07-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #68
Lobaeux
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i coupe

Garage List
2009 BMW  [0.00]
2001 Subaru Impreza RS  [0.00]
JasonCSU,
Again, you make really good points. One thing in our favor is that we're passionate about BMW and about what seems to be on the cusp of happening with the company whose cars we love. I don't think you'd see the same sort of outrage if this was a Chevy, Ford or Honda.
I'm not sure I agree with your statement about BMW products competing with VW GTi, Audi A3 or the Volvo C30. I think these are essentially products that compete with Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Subaru. Not really BMW's niche, or what should be their niche.
OY! Horrible what happened to the WRX. I'm holding onto my RS, my wife wants me to sell it, but I'm resisting!!
      07-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #69
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep

Drives: 335is

I'm about to throw up. BRB
      07-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #70
Yoshii
Major General
Mexico
Rep

Drives: 2008 Titanium Silver 335i

that does not look good....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #71
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 - 335is Coupe

BMW should make the 2010 model more feature rich, they are falling behind in the technology department with the 3 series in my opinion. To make up for it they should give more things for free in the base price of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #72
TWSnow
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 335I xDrive coupe

NOOOOOOOO!
      07-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #73
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep

Not to worry, new BMW bus and Mini-Vans are on their way... they should stop making any sort of sports/performance cars at this point and focus on shit nobody wants.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #74
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep

Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Actually BMW still have a premium image within europe an image that describes each and every BMW as a car that has unsurpassed handling and dynamics. The BMW image is so widely interpreted by our competitors in their marketing that it is entirely confusing for the customer that they are being promised a car that will be good as if not better than a BMW, only to find out they are nowhere near the level of BMW.

BMW means the same the world over - Premium , Individual , excellent dynamics , Efficiency and Innovation.
Crossover products such as the 5er Gran Turismo and X6 are purely developed from marketing needs and strong research. Customers especially now are looking for more from cars , customers who where briefed on the 5er GT on where apathic to Sport Activity Vehicles and did not need the utility of a Touring and were bored with the concept of a sedan.
As were X6 customers who we found out owned a SAV/SUV and an additional model like a Porsche 911 etc - it's these customers who have welcomed the X6 and the concept of a Sport Activity Coupe.

Now with the GT since we released the concept car there has been interest and since the launch of the production model - our web traffic and interest has exceeded our expectations for this car and we have been aggressively marketing this car especially in Europe with "The Cube" a personal introduction to the car at either a cultural or innovation event.
One model that has really caught on fire is the new BMW X1 originally not conceived for the US Market but recently overturned to include the US market. We are already building substantial orders for both the X1 and 5er Gran Turismo.

Again the response is always why no Supercar? Why no R8 rival? , Why no 8er ? Our interest in supercars and high expensive vanity projects was vanquished in light of our Efficient Dynamics strategy as we invested in making sure our upcoming models which are frequently available now were ready for emission regulations in our european market. Because of this we are the Market leader in efficient premium cars further ahead than both Audi and Mercedes-Benz . More regulations are forthcoming and BMW are in the right direction regarding future products that will meet this challenge head on.
BMW are not Audi nor Mercedes-Benz and do not forsee the need to reflect their product line up in the name of image , In Europe a customer who buys our base 116i Sporthatch enjoys the perfect driving dynamics of a BMW as does a customer who buys the top of the range M6 Cabrio. Now by no means is this a comparison that the 116i drives the same as an M6 cabrio because they are two entirely different cars. What I am saying is that the 1er drives well becaue it is engineered to just as the M6 Cabrio is - BMW DNA - Sheer driving Pleasure is evident in every BMW , not just one BMW to offset the image of BMW ,every BMW is highly evident of "Sheer Driving Pleasure" and we do not need to invest in a vanity project to broadcast that image.
WTF are you talking about? All the things you are desctribing is what BMW used to be, and why most of us keep buying them, to hope that one day BMW is what it used to be. I know why you are coming up all of these crazy and ugly models, its to make money and sure its may help you in the short run, but when the image of a company is deterred, it will hurt it substancially in the long run. This site is composed of the most avid BMW fans out there, and most of us are pissed off with the decisions you have made lately, so does this not mean anything to you? And about the supercar ordeal, you havent made one because you dont seem to think you can sell it, and supercars are not just vanity projects, they are the epitome of automotive engineering and the good ones live to become legends like the M1 and 507. So shut up with your little bullshit talk and build us another 507.
      07-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #75
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Black e90

yea the 5er GT looks bad
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #76
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep

If BMW don't get off its lazy ass and do something nice for the die hard bmw fans, i doubt this "Dynamic", "Efficiency" and "Innovation" bullshit will go far.

I for one want to buy a car that makes you feel good driving it, i don't buy it because i want to show off, or be a pompous ass.

The world is totally fucked at up at this point. You have global warming fanatics like Al Gore, who stands to make billions on the backs of hard working americans because the government wants to carbon trade & Tax the population over global warming.
Oh fuck, excuse me, "Climate Change", well fucking news flash, climate change has been around since forever, that is why deserts become jungle, and jungles become desert over the last few thousands of years... i doubt caveman had SUV's 20 thousand years ago, polluting the fucking sky... RIGHT? RIGHT? for fucks sake, people wake up, these fucking retarded mongoloids are fucking the world up the ass with this fake ass climate change bullshit.

Someone wake me up when the water level goes up by 1 fucking inch in NY. Till then i will not worry about these whore opportunist politicians, bankers and other filthy special interest groups that want to tax the shit out of us, and give us fucking lawn mower engines in our fucking cars.

Yes, i'm pissed, i'm fucking tired of all this political correctness, the fucking idiotic government telling us how to shit, breathe, and live....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #77
Robert
Major General
Rep

Drives: 135i, current is350

Wagon is taboo that's why BMW introduced it as GT. Other than that it's a marketing ploy to increase market share, garnering new customer to the brand who, otherwise, wouldn't. BMW started as a niche retailer offering product to driving enthusiast and as the brand grows it needs room to grow because wall st. expect of it, for heaven sake it is a sin without growth every year. So BMW is now branching out to the general consumers, customers from that of Lexus and and Mercedes, it offers generic repackage product like X6 and now GT. It is a joke to us enthusiast that X6 is a Sports Activity Vehicle. Because we see it as it really is: a SUV/Jeep, gas guzzler, big, giant box lowered a few inch than your run-out-of-the-mill product from detroit but enhanced with better suspension and materials. What's so efficient dynamic about a 5000lb car, besides the hot red paint and flaired bumpers on the x6M. The new strategy will, sure, cannibalize sales against existing line, and perhaps dilute its brand but the real question is will the overall gain surpass the loss? In the mind of the general public they will be oblivious to the shift in direction. Fear not for enthusiasts because I am sure some other company out there are aware of the change. It will be up to BMW to defend its old ways or another will step up to fill the void.

Last edited by Robert; 07-05-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #78
wakedaze
Private
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
Not to worry, new BMW bus and Mini-Vans are on their way... they should stop making any sort of sports/performance cars at this point and focus on shit nobody wants.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #79
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Actually BMW still have a premium image within europe an image that describes each and every BMW as a car that has unsurpassed handling and dynamics. The BMW image is so widely interpreted by our competitors in their marketing that it is entirely confusing for the customer that they are being promised a car that will be good as if not better than a BMW, only to find out they are nowhere near the level of BMW.

BMW means the same the world over - Premium , Individual , excellent dynamics , Efficiency and Innovation.
Crossover products such as the 5er Gran Turismo and X6 are purely developed from marketing needs and strong research. Customers especially now are looking for more from cars , customers who where briefed on the 5er GT on where apathic to Sport Activity Vehicles and did not need the utility of a Touring and were bored with the concept of a sedan.
As were X6 customers who we found out owned a SAV/SUV and an additional model like a Porsche 911 etc - it's these customers who have welcomed the X6 and the concept of a Sport Activity Coupe.

Now with the GT since we released the concept car there has been interest and since the launch of the production model - our web traffic and interest has exceeded our expectations for this car and we have been aggressively marketing this car especially in Europe with "The Cube" a personal introduction to the car at either a cultural or innovation event.
One model that has really caught on fire is the new BMW X1 originally not conceived for the US Market but recently overturned to include the US market. We are already building substantial orders for both the X1 and 5er Gran Turismo.

Again the response is always why no Supercar? Why no R8 rival? , Why no 8er ? Our interest in supercars and high expensive vanity projects was vanquished in light of our Efficient Dynamics strategy as we invested in making sure our upcoming models which are frequently available now were ready for emission regulations in our european market. Because of this we are the Market leader in efficient premium cars further ahead than both Audi and Mercedes-Benz . More regulations are forthcoming and BMW are in the right direction regarding future products that will meet this challenge head on.
BMW are not Audi nor Mercedes-Benz and do not forsee the need to reflect their product line up in the name of image , In Europe a customer who buys our base 116i Sporthatch enjoys the perfect driving dynamics of a BMW as does a customer who buys the top of the range M6 Cabrio. Now by no means is this a comparison that the 116i drives the same as an M6 cabrio because they are two entirely different cars. What I am saying is that the 1er drives well becaue it is engineered to just as the M6 Cabrio is - BMW DNA - Sheer driving Pleasure is evident in every BMW , not just one BMW to offset the image of BMW ,every BMW is highly evident of "Sheer Driving Pleasure" and we do not need to invest in a vanity project to broadcast that image.
I think you are doing more harm than good with posts like these. We don't need to be told what the brand is and what it means elsewhere, we know it.

What an appalling penis enhancer......

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #80
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWI6 View Post
WTF are you talking about? All the things you are desctribing is what BMW used to be, and why most of us keep buying them, to hope that one day BMW is what it used to be. I know why you are coming up all of these crazy and ugly models, its to make money and sure its may help you in the short run, but when the image of a company is deterred, it will hurt it substancially in the long run. This site is composed of the most avid BMW fans out there, and most of us are pissed off with the decisions you have made lately, so does this not mean anything to you? And about the supercar ordeal, you havent made one because you dont seem to think you can sell it, and supercars are not just vanity projects, they are the epitome of automotive engineering and the good ones live to become legends like the M1 and 507. So shut up with your little bullshit talk and build us another 507.
I agree, just look at what happened to Rover. They had an unsurpassed reputation for quality before stupid cars like the SD1 and the rebadged BL crap spoiled it all.

A smaller company like BMW shouldn't be too hard to kill in a decade.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #81
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
I love this forum Less conservative, less overbearing than some I know..

Anyways, The Z2 is coming and perhaps a Z8 replacement. Hang tight..
      07-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #82
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
I love this forum Less conservative, less overbearing than some I know..

Anyways, The Z2 is coming and perhaps a Z8 replacement. Hang tight..
Now the question is will the Z2 look like a homo / metro - sexual dream come true car. lol

Whoever designed the front of the 1-series should be fired, if not for the look i'd get a 1-series as i really liked driving it more than the 3 series. But i just can get over the look of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #83
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree with this actually. You can see a good amount of BMW design language mirrored in other car makes yet, in my experience none of them have the complete package that BMW offers.

Quote:
I don't know about the group you polled but, I believe most people would be happier with a sexy 4 door coupe in place of their 5er then an odd wagon hatchback looking thing.

Quote:
How much of the web traffic is people who would actually buy the car vs. people like myself who are in disbelief that you are actually going to build it and the interest being people who are just trying to figure out what it is supposed to be and why you think we want it?

Quote:
I would site this as an example of the US market changing and wanting more of what the rest of the world likes as opposed to what manufacturers think we want.

I understand you have to make changes while you are at the forefront of the industry for them to be accepted and it generally takes the public a while to warm to new things. I admit I was one of the ones that was a little dumbfounded with the first Bangle cars (7er especially) but, I now love them. I just see me and a lot of others having the same warming to these GTs.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 07-05-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: fixing quote wraps
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #84
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Apparently, BMW is not the only player in the Neo-Chevy Citation category:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...hatchback.html

Funny, how Honda quickly responded to the X6 with the planned ZDX, and now responds to the BMW GT models with this.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #85
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Apparently, BMW is not the only player in the Neo-Chevy Citation category:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...hatchback.html

Funny, how Honda quickly responded to the X6 with the planned ZDX, and now responds to the BMW GT models with this.
Kilgore, i believe the ZDX concept was conceived much before the X6. They just tucked it away in the safe for some time...

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #86
F32Fleet
BMWCCA since '03
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
The E91 335 was on the European market before the E92 335.
Sorry I forgot to add. "In the U.S."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #87
TomBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: IB DCT e92 ///M3

BMW is going down the FAIL road. :P
      07-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #88
200Duece
Colonel