E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP Failed, middle of busy highway, stopped DEAD. Lucky to not get hit.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #45
Zero.7
Colonel
 
Zero.7's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Msprt
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SOC

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (6)


A good friend of mine had his 2nd failure yesterday. He was at the light...engine light comes one...light turns green...he starts to accelerate and his car started to violently shake. Had to get it towed.

BMW BETTER use all that frickin' $$$ that they've made on us, and find some kind of a REAL solution...not just this 10yr/100K extended warranty thing. NOT good enough BMW IMO. As someone stated earlier, will it take a DEATH b/c of a HPFP issue to wake them up?!?!?? BMW had better watch very closely to what's going on with Toyota; ie, BMW knows there's a problem, BUT not really finding a real solution....trying to cut cost??!?!? Well, it isgoing to cost them a whole lot more IF a death occurs.

Sorry, just wanting to vent.
__________________

'09 e90 AW 335i M-sport
6-speed Manual
BMW PPK 1 / BMW Perf. Exhaust and Gloss black grilles / 19" BMW 313 Perf. wheels / BMW Perf. aero side skirts and rear diffuser
Zero.7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #46
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,374
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
OP here. Techs just called me. It's the fuel pump. He said I was an "outstanding mechanic" and seemed impressed I knew what component had failed. I only wish that was the case

So, HPFP is confirmed.
LOl @ comment.

I told my SA the samething, I'm like yea its the fuel pump.

He like, "how do you know".

I'm like they go just as much as the employees here, he just laughs.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #47
xtremecruiser
First Lieutenant
 
xtremecruiser's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Waterfall Vert
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post

A good friend of mine had his 2nd failure yesterday. He was at the light...engine light comes one...light turns green...he starts to accelerate and his car started to violently shake. Had to get it towed.

BMW BETTER use all that frickin' $$$ that they've made on us, and find some kind of a REAL solution...not just this 10yr/100K extended warranty thing. NOT good enough BMW IMO. As someone stated earlier, will it take a DEATH b/c of a HPFP issue to wake them up?!?!?? BMW had better watch very closely to what's going on with Toyota; ie, BMW knows there's a problem, BUT not really finding a real solution....trying to cut cost??!?!? Well, it isgoing to cost them a whole lot more IF a death occurs.

Sorry, just wanting to vent.
+1
xtremecruiser is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #48
TyPe-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
 
TyPe-ZeRo's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Black 325i Sport/Premium
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

I keep saying in every 335i thread that I got to try one of those amazing cars and I gotta say, as great as they are (and believe me, I do want one), the fact this HPFP failure thing is still an issue at all, scares me into being happy with my lowly 325i. I'm sure this HPFP is blown out of proportion but don't you think it's a bit unnerving wondering if you've got a ticking time bomb waiting to go off the second you get on the highway?

Also one thing I don't like about the 335i is that they replaced the MPG gauge with a temperature gauge. I do like that it's there but it could be done better. How come they couldn't have just had a temperature read out on the OBC thing, instead of showing you how much miles you've got until you run out or your average speed, how come they can't just put a little thermometer icon and have the temperature read out there? Maybe it'd be confusing with the outside temperature but I think the little icon would be obvious. Or is an accurate MPG reading harder on a forced induction car?

Last edited by TyPe-ZeRo; 03-03-2010 at 04:28 PM.
TyPe-ZeRo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #49
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I don't think even your Ferrari's caused this much theater.
I was behind a black 599GTB in traffic last night--when I saw that and looked hard, it was like Carerra 4S or Turbo S what????

I hate these stories, they just illustrate the potential for a problem. OP said 24k.....good luck and hopefully 943 pumps fix the issue.
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #50
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
LOl @ comment.

I told my SA the samething, I'm like yea its the fuel pump.

He like, "how do you know".

I'm like they go just as much as the employees here, he just laughs.
I remember when I told the SA I heard the HPFP's are failing (when my car died twice), he said I haven't heard that. What a load of BS, huh? If they've been in the business long enough, they must absolutely hate forums and the web.
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #51
Quasimodem
Colonel
 
Quasimodem's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

Posts: 2,183
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobaeux View Post
Wow, really sucks.

This HPFP issue is starting to make me nervous.
Don't worry, sounds like your HPFP is working fine if it really sucks. It is a pump after all.
Quasimodem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #52
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,752
iTrader: (0)

oh, you must be mistaken, my SA **assures me** that they NEVER fail all at once like that...

Grrr.
chromisdesigns is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #53
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
 
maswastage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (0)

Glad to hear you're alright. The HPFP failure is a major problem, and was a deal breaker for me. Once I found out I didn't even consider the 335, that is until the D came along.
maswastage is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #54
Cali FlyBoyZ
Private First Class
 
Cali FlyBoyZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 141
iTrader: (2)

Wish I couldnt relate to this post but I can... Funny thing is yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I saw a black cat sprinting down the road. As I got closer it darted past my car. My first thought was, "oh sh!t" lol. Needless to say about 2 hrs later I experienced the HPFP fail. It's actually very scary for the car to shut off while you're on the highway. Especially in Washington DC with these SUPER aggressive drivers. Oddly enough after mine cut off, I cleared the 6 codes that came with it and it started back up. My destination was only maybe a couple miles away so I continued my drive. During those 2-3 more miles the car would cut power for maybe half a sec then come back on. Pretty scary stuff. I have an 07 335i e92 with a little over 82k... most likely will be trading this car in after this incident.
__________________

e92/Jet Black/Coral Red/6MT
COBB 2+/AP FMIC/CPE CP/TIAL BOV/AR Catless DP
Cali FlyBoyZ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #55
egregor
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali FlyBoyZ View Post
Wish I couldnt relate to this post but I can... Funny thing is yesterday morning as I was driving to work, I saw a black cat sprinting down the road. As I got closer it darted past my car. My first thought was, "oh sh!t" lol. Needless to say about 2 hrs later I experienced the HPFP fail. It's actually very scary for the car to shut off while you're on the highway. Especially in Washington DC with these SUPER aggressive drivers. Oddly enough after mine cut off, I cleared the 6 codes that came with it and it started back up. My destination was only maybe a couple miles away so I continued my drive. During those 2-3 more miles the car would cut power for maybe half a sec then come back on. Pretty scary stuff. I have an 07 335i e92 with a little over 82k... most likely will be trading this car in after this incident.
Have you had the HPFP replaced under recall? Failures seem to have been extremely uncommon with the new pump.
egregor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST